• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SaviorX
(04-21-2017, 06:11 PM)
http://wtnh.com/2017/04/20/mental-he...d-from-office/

"NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — The push by mental health professionals to have President Donald Trump removed from office on the grounds he is mentally unfit to serve came to New Haven on Thursday.

About two dozen people convened at a town hall style meeting held at Yale’s School Of Medicine.

“I’ve worked with some of the most dangerous people our society produces, directing mental health programs in prisons. I’ve worked with murderers and rapists. I can recognize dangerousness from a mile away,” said James Gilligan, a psychiatrist and professor at New York University. “You don’t have to be an expert on dangerousness or spend fifty years studying it like I have in order to know how dangerous this man is.”

Read more at the link.

Is this uncalled for or are they onto something 🤔
FZZ
(04-21-2017, 06:12 PM)
I concur

jmon
Astral/H3X
(04-21-2017, 06:13 PM)
Uncalled for? No, but nothing will come of it.
Reverend Funk
Comfy Penetration
(04-21-2017, 06:14 PM)
The lunatics are running the asylum
Flo_Evans
One crazy mofo
Saved by a Harley dude
(04-21-2017, 06:14 PM)
I agree... but isn't it pretty unethical to diagnose mental health "from a mile away" ?
Sectorseven
(04-21-2017, 06:15 PM)
I didn't know a psychiatrist could diagnose someone without personally interviewing them.
iRAWRasaurus
I thought this was already mention last year?
Karuto
But his doctor said Trump is the healthiest person he's ever seen.
capitalCORN
"Fucking coastal liberal elites!"
Aaronrules380
(04-21-2017, 06:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Sectorseven

I didn't know a psychiatrist could diagnose someone without personally interviewing them.

They bring that up and the arguement the experts gave is

“This notion that you need to personally interview someone to form a diagnosis actually doesn’t make a whole lotta sense. For one thing, research shows that the psychiatric interview is the least statistical reliable way to make a diagnosis,” said Dr. Gartner.

Samurai G0SU
(04-21-2017, 06:17 PM)
less go
Karuto
(04-21-2017, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Aaronrules380

They bring that up and the arguement the experts gave is

Makes sense.

"Are you insane?"

"No."

"Well, he's fine. Medical diagnosis over."
hydrophilic attack
Isn't this considered unethical by the APA?
Futureman
Dangerousness is a weird word.
Piano
Foie Gras For Free!
(04-21-2017, 06:19 PM)
This kind of thing does more harm than good.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by hydrophilic attack

If ethics really mattered, Trump would have been impeached by now.
Mr. Blonde
(04-21-2017, 06:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

I agree... but isn't it pretty unethical to diagnose mental health "from a mile away" ?

This reeks of the same stench of bill frist "diagnosing" Terri schaivo all those years ago
Whompa02
Banned
Awesome.
Vermillion
Member Formerly Known as JokerOfSpades

olag
"Professionals" what are those? Sound more like cucks to me /s
zethren
(04-21-2017, 06:23 PM)
I agree. The man is clearly not all there.
Zap Rowsdower
His clinical narcissism is pretty obvious really.
theechrisfox

Why even worry about ethics when mental health is just psuedoscience invented by the Chinese to hurt the American gun industry.
KDR_11k
(04-21-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Sectorseven

I guess that's for subtle or complex problems. You don't need an X-ray to tell when somebody's lost an arm. Trump is so extreme with his behavior that it doesn't take an examination to see what's going on.
Wilsongt
This discussion on Trump's mental health by internet armchair psychologists and real paychologists is gettig tiring.

Yea, dude is a big idiot and their may be something cognitive going on, but trying to diagnosis based on just what he says and does in public doesn't do anything but fuel confirmation bias.
Last edited by Wilsongt; 04-21-2017 at 06:28 PM.
The Salt Life
Sounds ridiculous, I can see from a mile away this guy just wants attention
Madness

Should be. No medical expert, especially one working in the field of mental health, psychiatry would try and diagnose someone from far away, someone who isn't a patient, or give a firm conclusion like this. Just wtf is going on. Nothing technically wrong if you're trying to discuss something but to present it as medical fact is a no-no.
nelsonroyale
(04-21-2017, 06:28 PM)
It is incredibly obvious that Trump is mentally deranged, and he has got podium to externalise his madness to the rest of society. He should be in an asylum in a sane society.

Flo_evans: ...There is enough exposure of trump through many forms of media and statements to make a pretty sound diagnosis...if Trump doesn't have a form of madness, then the definition of madness needs to be revised. I mean people are never diagnosed...Was Hitler? He was clearly off his rocker.

Madness: Oh come on...Mental health is a massive field with a lot of diversity. It is fairly obvious to conclude that Trump has range of mental disorders...Some of which, need to be more recognised, since they have such negative social impact. Anyway, mental health is a spectrum. Most people I have met have various mental quirks in some way or another. Trump's are pretty extreme.
Last edited by nelsonroyale; 04-21-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Abstruse Moose
(04-21-2017, 06:31 PM)
He's clearly a psychopathic/sociopathic megalomaniac. Should be pretty evident to most people.
A Serious Man
(04-21-2017, 06:31 PM)
1. You shouldn't diagnose people from afar.
2. Something is up with that motherfucker.
SecretMoblin
(04-21-2017, 06:32 PM)
so it was 20 people shooting the shit in a room without any sort of official imprimatur

Per Yale:

"The conference participants were specifically instructed to follow the “Goldwater Rule”, which prevent mental health professionals from diagnosing public figures based on second-hand information, i.e., information presented by the public media. The conference was organized by people who focused their presentations on President Trump and who were likely to discuss some of his actions. It was made clear that the opinions presented at the Conference did not represent those of the Department of Psychiatry or the University.”

FinaruDensetsu
(04-21-2017, 06:33 PM)
I don't think we needed professionals to confirm what everyone in their right mind already knew.
Borgnine
MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
(04-21-2017, 06:33 PM)
We knew this before the election. We knew this 40 years ago.
Laekon
(04-21-2017, 06:35 PM)
I'm no expert but this is funny as it relates to a clinical rotation I've been doing at a lock down mental health facility. The first patient I dealt with 1 on 1 reminded me of Trump. He was always trying to one up the rest of the patients with all the amazing things he owned and had done. He kept talking about how good he was at everything and how all the staff were amazed at how smart he was.
jb1234
(04-21-2017, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Futureman

Dangerousness is a weird word.

That was my first thought, honestly. I didn't even realize it was a word until I googled it.
poppabk
(04-21-2017, 06:38 PM)
This is a lame stunt, but it does raise the question of how and who could declare the president mentally unfit to remain in office.
Allforce
(04-21-2017, 06:39 PM)

Yes, in fact, they have a guideline that basically bans any sort of psychiatric evaluation of a politician from a distance. It's even called "The Goldwater Rule" and these very psychiatrists in the OP are trying to do away with it due to how extreme a case Trump appears to be.

Since 1973, the American Psychiatric Association and its members have abided by a principle commonly known as “the Goldwater Rule,” which prohibits psychiatrists from offering opinions on someone they have not personally evaluated. The rule is so named because of its association with an incident that took place during the 1964 presidential election.

During that election, Fact magazine published a survey in which they queried some 12,356 psychiatrists on whether candidate Sen. Barry Goldwater, the GOP nominee, was psychologically fit to be president. A total of 2,417 of those queried responded, with 1,189 saying that Goldwater was unfit to assume the presidency.

So go figure, a bunch of psychiatrists felt that a GOP nominee was crazy, and then shortly after that their union decided "hey no more saying that anymore" which I'm sure came about due to some kind of political pressure from lawmakers at the time.
Ogodei
(04-21-2017, 06:42 PM)

Originally Posted by poppabk

This is a lame stunt, but it does raise the question of how and who could declare the president mentally unfit to remain in office.

A simple majority of the cabinet, at any time they so choose.
Beartruck
(04-21-2017, 06:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Wilsongt

This discussion on Trump's mental health by internet armchair psychologists and real paychologists is gettig tiring.

Yea, dude is a big idiot and their may be something cognitive going on, but trying to diagnosis based on just what he says and does in public doesn't do anything but fuel confirmation bias.

I agree that calling him mental ill is a bridge too far. Huge asshole? Oh yeah. Narcissist? Almost certainly. Starting to be affected by the Alzheimer's that runs in his family? Maybe. Mentally dangerous though? come on. The way the guy phrases it you'd think we're days away from finding Steve Bannon dead in the Oval Office with Trump holding a bloody golf club above him.
Thaedolus
(04-21-2017, 06:44 PM)
Having seen narcissistic perssonality disorder upclose and the amount of damage it can do, I absolutely think Trump suffers from NPD. Go down the list of all their characteristics and he can check every box
Lord Fagan
(04-21-2017, 06:45 PM)
About time for the other shoe to drop on the Goldwater Rule.
siddx
Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
(04-21-2017, 06:45 PM)
Yes, he is a psychotic narcissistic dangerous piece of fucking shit who shouldn't be running a lemonade stand let alone a nation. Anyone who is sane or even marginally intelligent has known this for a long time. Unfortunately there are just enough racist dipshits with their heads buried deep in their own assholes that it doesn't matter. The conman will continue to run his scam..
Ravensmash
(04-21-2017, 06:46 PM)
Erm, since when could things like this be diagnosed through media appearances and tweets?
nicanica
(04-21-2017, 06:47 PM)
LOL @

"I've worked with Rapists before. Let me tell you. Donald Trump is DANGEROUS"
GeordieMark
(04-21-2017, 06:49 PM)
Well this will go far.
takriel
(04-21-2017, 06:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower

His clinical narcissism is pretty obvious really.

It's funny. You'd suspect narcissists to be good-looking or physically healthy. This clown is neither.
Realeza
(04-21-2017, 06:51 PM)
What does he have though?
Bitch Pudding
(04-21-2017, 06:51 PM)
How many votes did those so-called professionals get during the last election?
DarkKyo
(04-21-2017, 06:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Realeza

What does he have though?

Increasing dementia it would seem. Whenever you hear him talking on the news now it always sounds like the vapid bullshit he's been programmed to spout his entire life but there doesn't seem to be any awareness behind it anymore. It feels like switching off campaign mode and months of being president has quickly been turning his brain into mush. Wouldn't be surprised if we had a 'GoT-Mad-King' situation on our hands in a couple years. Only instead of wildfire it will be nuclear fire.
Mechanized
(04-21-2017, 07:06 PM)
Eh... lets wait for the nukes to launch and then make a decision. <what will actually happen>