• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

CopperPuppy
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:52 PM)
CopperPuppy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Diprosalic

Good for Conor if it gets done. I just hope he still does a couple of real fights in the ufc after this.

I think 3/4 for McGregor is fair, feels like he is the bigger draw outside of the US. I never heard of Floyd before the Manny fight fwiw.

Haha, might wanna check your math there, bud. Dana's numbers put Conor at ~40% or less.
HStallion
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:53 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixlNinja

But the fact that kicking is allowed in MMA pretty much seals Floyd's fate. He would take a couple leg kicks and the fight would be over. MMA still has rules, sure, but it's still MUCH a closer to a real fight than a boxing match.

Most real fights end up looking like two drunk dudes trying to hug each other instead of a MMA match in my anecdotal evidence.
Artdayne
Member
(04-21-2017, 05:55 PM)
Artdayne's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixlNinja

But the fact that kicking is allowed in MMA pretty much seals Floyd's fate. He would take a couple leg kicks and the fight would be over. MMA still has rules, sure, but it's still MUCH a closer to a real fight than a boxing match.

The bigger threat would be taking the fight to the ground. Conor isn't a great ground fighter but he'd destroy Floyd if it went to the ground. All the tricks with Floyd's stance and slipping hits are adapted specifically for punching, it would get taken apart against a trained professional who throws knees, elbows, kicks, has a ground game.
PixlNinja
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 05:57 PM)
PixlNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by HStallion

Most real fights end up looking like two drunk dudes trying to hug each other instead of a MMA match in my anecdotal evidence.

Ok? Are these fights being had by professionals or just two guys with beer muscles? Pretty big difference
ssolitare
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:09 PM)
The fight will be a farce that's for sure. It's not legit, and I kinda feel like they're getting free money.

It's just business, the fight isn't real. It's a marketing show, and maybe we'll get sprinkled with some fighter pride.
commedieu
Aliens made this post
(04-21-2017, 06:34 PM)
commedieu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Artdayne

The bigger threat would be taking the fight to the ground. Conor isn't a great ground fighter but he'd destroy Floyd if it went to the ground. All the tricks with Floyd's stance and slipping hits are adapted specifically for punching, it would get taken apart against a trained professional who throws knees, elbows, kicks, has a ground game.

yeah. and the somewhat reverse can be said for connor in a boxing ring. probably 75% of his tricks and kicks are going to be sidelined for just straight up tactical boxing against one of boxings greatest fighters. Longer rounds. Which may be ok because as said earlier, he wont have to wrestle and kick. That takes a lot out of you.

If connor gives floyd any pressure, we will see block button floyd. Hes pretty good at that too. I just hope floyd shows up. It will be interesting to see how connor does.
Last edited by commedieu; 04-21-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Vice
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:36 PM)
Vice's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixlNinja

Ok? Are these fights being had by professionals or just two guys with beer muscles? Pretty big difference

A real fight as in two regular guys. If it's two professionals then boxing fights look just as real as MMA, which doesn't look like a real fight.
HStallion
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:42 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by PixlNinja

Ok? Are these fights being had by professionals or just two guys with beer muscles? Pretty big difference

I was being a little facetious but I've never seen a fight in real life that looked anything like a sporting match between two professionals.
jmdajr
Member
(04-21-2017, 06:44 PM)
jmdajr's Avatar
lol!

This carny ass sport!
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(04-21-2017, 07:12 PM)
mckmas8808's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheDrizzlerJ11

It should be a boxing match in an octagon

NEO_WHOA.gif
erlim
yes, that talented of a member
(04-21-2017, 08:04 PM)
erlim's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

fuckin' thank you
i'm glad we're not back at "rousey could beat floyd!" levels bue still

I remember all my buddies were on about how Rousey could have beaten Muhammad Ali in his prime.
IrishNinja
(04-21-2017, 08:51 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by highrider

Please.

was i wrong, though? you've admitted his style isn't to your liking but is superior to the best fighters that were thrown at him - you may be right that he lacks the power he had, but given said style, even if he didh't why would he go for kill shots when - like you said - he can play it far safer & win?

Originally Posted by erlim

I remember all my buddies were on about how Rousey could have beaten Muhammad Ali in his prime.

...i hope y'all were high as fuck, haha
NandoGip
Member
(04-21-2017, 08:55 PM)
NandoGip's Avatar
Obviously I'm going to watch this, but it's going to be a joke. It's going to be borderline WWE with Floyd pretending to take Connor serious, and Connor showing the world how weak his skills are.
Just_myles
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:20 PM)
Just_myles's Avatar
That can't be right. McGregor getting paid way too much. Champs gonna whoop him.
sam777
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:23 PM)
sam777's Avatar
McGregor has got this.
HStallion
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:24 PM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by sam777

McGregor has got this.

Yeah he'll get that pay check.
Darkman M
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:30 PM)
Darkman M's Avatar

Originally Posted by sam777

McGregor has got this.

Yeah a big ass check.
George Claw M.D.
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:08 PM)
George Claw M.D.'s Avatar
A lot of people seem to think it would be 12 rds of Floyd hitting and running. But Connor won't even last the entire fight. He'll get KO'd or TKO'd by Floyd's "pillow" fists. People are going to be shocked by the disparity between a champion MMA fighter with zero professional boxing experience and arguably the greatest pound-4-pound pugilist of all-time.

Connor is gonna get ROOKED. TAKE THAT FOR DATA!
Maoyama
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 11:16 PM)
I have no idea how people think Conor is gonna last the whole fight against Floyd, it just absolutely baffles me. He has so much trouble lasting 5x5 rounds in MMA and usually shows signs of gassing at the 10 minute mark. Now add the heavier gloves and having to move so much more to avoid getting roped in.

Having square corners vs wide ones means he will need to move SO MUCH more to come after and not get cornered by Mayweather. Missing all the punches he will miss means he will get so much more tired.

I mean, just look at his videos sparring mid-level boxers. He tries that same feint to pull-back left counter. You see why he catches people all the time in MMA? They extend their head over their bodies chasing after him. You see what happens when he tries it against boxers? They come in double-jabbing, with their head and weight squarely over ther feet and Conors feint and hit is useless.

Dont get me wrong, Conor is my favorite MMA fighter in a while and he has headlined the only MMA events I have ever gone to see live. He has brought true innovation and fresh skills into the fighting game. But boxing and MMA are not cut from the same cloth, and in the boxing world he is not even a rookie.
RBelong2Us
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:17 PM)
RBelong2Us's Avatar
I find it truly hard to believe Conor cares that much of actually winning the fight .

Dude seems to be raging these days and puts out these half ass clips of him "training" to sell wolf tickets.
Rumblebones
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:19 PM)
Rumblebones's Avatar
I'd be very surprised if Conor makes 75 to Floyd's 100. I would have expected Floyd to at least make double what Conor would.
HStallion
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:19 PM)
HStallion's Avatar
They should play a game of dodgeball instead.
Pupperbabysassy
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Allforce

Trump's America¬ô

I imagine the over/under on the n-word being heard at the bar I watch this at being around 75.

For this reason alone if there's a fight I can see Floyd losing. Imagine how much money will be made from a rematch if Conor won?
Skittles
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:32 PM)
Skittles's Avatar

Originally Posted by HStallion

They should play a game of dodgeball instead.

conor has a better chance of hitting something of they do that
cordy
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:33 PM)
cordy's Avatar
Never have I wanted Floyd to win a fight as much as I want him to win this.
Chumley
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:34 PM)
Chumley's Avatar

Originally Posted by cordy

Never have I wanted Floyd to win a fight as much as I want him to win this.

This forum never disgusts me more than in threads about Mayweather.
Syder
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:35 PM)
Syder's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheDrizzlerJ11

It should be a boxing match in an octagon

What is this? TNA?
RBelong2Us
Member
(04-21-2017, 11:39 PM)
RBelong2Us's Avatar

Originally Posted by cordy

Never have I wanted Floyd to win a fight as much as I want him to win this.

Why? Lol, any knock on McGregor and his personality can be bounced back to Mayweather 100x worse
cordy
Member
(04-22-2017, 12:23 AM)
cordy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chumley

This forum never disgusts me more than in threads about Mayweather.

Why?

Originally Posted by RBelong2Us

Why? Lol, any knock on McGregor and his personality can be bounced back to Mayweather 100x worse

I just like Floyd beating dudes. Nothing about their negativity areas, I just like seeing Floyd win. The internet always shows out after a Mayweather match.
BronsonLee
(04-22-2017, 12:25 AM)
BronsonLee's Avatar
Boxing Match: Floyd wins
MMA: Conor wins

Either way: Conor wins because this is the biggest paycheck he'll ever fucking see and he can be done after this
OldMan
Banned
(04-22-2017, 12:31 AM)
I hope this is like a SFxT deal with the first match being Boxing and the second MMA.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(04-22-2017, 12:35 AM)
shintoki's Avatar
60 40 is the same as May vs Pac, so it's not like it can't happen. Floyd has a lot more to lose with this fight than Conor. Conor, it's the biggest payday of his life, but for Floyd it's also making sure to protect his legacy.
Justinreideddy
Member
(04-22-2017, 01:17 AM)
Justinreideddy's Avatar
Imagine if somehow Conor gets a lucky shot in and knocks him out. No way I'm spending the $100 this will cost on PPV though. I'd be really surprised if Floyd agrees to that split though.
Last edited by Justinreideddy; 04-22-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Madness
Member
(04-22-2017, 02:11 AM)
Madness's Avatar
Conor doesn't even have a punchers chance... you guys have watched too much Rocky. I love Conor McGregor, I just purchased his Doubt Me Now shirt from represent.com, but this is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Perhaps the greatest boxer of all time. Did none of you see him box before he was super famous. His defense is unparalleled. World class boxers like even Pacquiao couldn't touch him.

He will destroy Conor in 2 rounds, the first just solely to keep hype built. Conor will not see his punches coming, and Floyd will be facing an amateur boxer for the first time in maybe 25 years. I am ashamed for anyone who thinks Conor will have a chance. You should be taking bets on whether Conor gets TKO'ed, KO'ed, or even concussions and brain hemorraghing. This is boxing, the sweet science, someone of Floyd's caliber will not be touched. I would willingly take a tag bet of 'I am the dumbest fuck on GAF and don't know shit' if Floyd loses this. Floyd doesn't even need to give Conor this big a payday. It is a loud mouth versus a disciplined boxer. And when Conor loses he will say I took a risk, thanks for the cheese, I made 75 milli, I ain't scared of no man, props to Floyd and move on. He knows he will lose this.
The_Dama
Member
(04-22-2017, 02:13 AM)
The_Dama's Avatar
75 million for McGregor? Hahahahaahah
Moze
Member
(04-22-2017, 02:20 AM)
Moze's Avatar
Floyd will be rusty and is getting very old now. McGregor gets the KO in round 6.
Wazzy
Member
(04-22-2017, 02:30 AM)
Wazzy's Avatar
I hope Mcgregor knocks his ass down.
Chumley
Member
(04-22-2017, 02:47 AM)
Chumley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Madness

Conor doesn't even have a punchers chance... you guys have watched too much Rocky. I love Conor McGregor, I just purchased his Doubt Me Now shirt from represent.com, but this is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Perhaps the greatest boxer of all time. Did none of you see him box before he was super famous. His defense is unparalleled. World class boxers like even Pacquiao couldn't touch him.

He will destroy Conor in 2 rounds, the first just solely to keep hype built. Conor will not see his punches coming, and Floyd will be facing an amateur boxer for the first time in maybe 25 years. I am ashamed for anyone who thinks Conor will have a chance. You should be taking bets on whether Conor gets TKO'ed, KO'ed, or even concussions and brain hemorraghing. This is boxing, the sweet science, someone of Floyd's caliber will not be touched. I would willingly take a tag bet of 'I am the dumbest fuck on GAF and don't know shit' if Floyd loses this. Floyd doesn't even need to give Conor this big a payday. It is a loud mouth versus a disciplined boxer. And when Conor loses he will say I took a risk, thanks for the cheese, I made 75 milli, I ain't scared of no man, props to Floyd and move on. He knows he will lose this.

Fucking stop with hyperbole like this. "I'm ashamed for anyone who thinks he has a chance"

Posts like yours have been made thousands of times. It's not new. Let people have their own opinions on this shit and give the grandstanding a rest.

Originally Posted by cordy

Why?

Because Floyd Mayweather is a living, breathing sack of shit excuse for a human being and I have a natural gag reflex to anyone who capes for him. Some people are willing to let his domestic violence slide or be ignored because he's a great boxer, I'm not.
Last edited by Chumley; 04-22-2017 at 02:49 AM.
HStallion
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:22 AM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wazzy

I hope Mcgregor knocks his ass down.

They'll gladly take your money for that chance!
jeffram
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:24 AM)
jeffram's Avatar

Originally Posted by Just_myles

That can't be right. McGregor getting paid way too much. Champs gonna whoop him.

By that logic they could switch it to mms and Conor should be paid more?
Erv
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:26 AM)
Erv's Avatar
Someone post a gif of Connor boxing
jeffram
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:27 AM)
jeffram's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rumblebones

I'd be very surprised if Conor makes 75 to Floyd's 100. I would have expected Floyd to at least make double what Conor would.

Who else does floyd fight and get $100m?
HStallion
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:30 AM)
HStallion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Erv

Someone post a gif of Connor boxing

pixelation
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:45 AM)
pixelation's Avatar

Originally Posted by EVOL 100%

So Conor's getting his ass kicked then?

Not sure the point of the fight, we all know how it's going down

It will make May vs Pac downright exciting in comparison.
Moze
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:45 AM)
Moze's Avatar
So I just watched some footage of Connor boxing. Yikes. Had the bag up on points by the end of the video.

Not going to go well.

What are the chances of Connor accidently kicking Floyd?
Heroman
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:46 AM)
Heroman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moze

Floyd will be rusty and is getting very old now. McGregor gets the KO in round 6.

Connor can't box.
CadetMahoney
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:38 AM)
CadetMahoney's Avatar
Why are people saying on sherdog dana gets a cut of conors 75m? That true lol?

Originally Posted by Moze

So I just watched some footage of Connor boxing. Yikes. Had the bag up on points by the end of the video.

Not going to go well.

What are the chances of Connor accidently kicking Floyd?

JasonUresti
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Chumley

Fucking stop with hyperbole like this. "I'm ashamed for anyone who thinks he has a chance"

Posts like yours have been made thousands of times. It's not new. Let people have their own opinions on this shit and give the grandstanding a rest.



Because Floyd Mayweather is a living, breathing sack of shit excuse for a human being and I have a natural gag reflex to anyone who capes for him. Some people are willing to let his domestic violence slide or be ignored because he's a great boxer, I'm not.


None of which has anything to do with his boxing skills or how well someone not good enough to be one of his sparring partners will do against him in a boxing match.
Radec
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:54 AM)
Radec's Avatar
If CM punk won it would be Punk vs McGreggor vs Floyd in a triple threat match.
Chumley
Member
(04-22-2017, 07:09 AM)
Chumley's Avatar

Originally Posted by JasonUresti

None of which has anything to do with his boxing skills or how well someone not good enough to be one of his sparring partners will do against him in a boxing match.

I'm really getting tired of people telling me I have to separate his boxing from his actions. To me, it's one in the same. He became rich and famous for his ability to hit men, and he used that fame as justification to hit women. You're entitled to separate the two, I choose not to, deal with it. Just like how I'd never tell anyone they have to appreciate Roman Polanski's films. It's their choice.

Thread Tools