Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-21-2017, 04:52 AM)
Because Mexico is awesome
BLOODED_hands
(04-21-2017, 04:54 AM)
It just gives me another reason to drink :/
Atomic Playboy
I celebrate it because it's my birthday. I tend to celebrate it with tequila and Corona because that's what's on sale around then.
wedca
It is fun to have fun and not be bitter about having fun, haha.
Dude Abides
(04-21-2017, 04:55 AM)
Because we love the Hispanics and we make the best Taco Bowls!
RM8
(04-21-2017, 04:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

I mean, thanks :) But we Mexicans don't celebrate it, lol, our actual independence day is September 16th. Not that I think celebrating Cinco de Mayo is wrong or anything.
Steeped in a Sea of Games
(04-21-2017, 04:57 AM)
Valentine's day for people who need an excuse to drink to excess and feel justified for doing so. Manufactured holiday that also just happens to be sort of racist as well.
EchoChamber
(04-21-2017, 04:57 AM)

Originally Posted by PSqueak

Well, you know, we do get that day off by law, and there might not be a "official way" to celebrate 5 de mayo, but at least in the north, where i live, any day off is a good excuse to get drunk with your buddies.

You get the day off? You fucker I don't get I day of :( ( maybe because I don't live in the north)
ESBL
(04-21-2017, 05:12 AM)
Just a day to drink, Mexicans don't celebrate it, didn't they lose that war?
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(04-21-2017, 05:16 AM)
I actually saw that same commercial (was during the Pacers-Cavs game) and was thinking the exact same thing.

That said, it's just like St. Patrick's Day in the US: just another day to justify getting piss drunk.
Cocaloch
(04-21-2017, 05:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Auron_Kale

I actually saw that same commercial (was during the Pacers-Cavs game) and was thinking the exact same thing.

That said, it's just like St. Patrick's Day in the US: just another day to justify getting piss drunk.

The history of St. Patrick's day is much more complicated, and actually heavily driven by the Irish themselves. I don't think that's true for Cinco at all.
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-21-2017, 05:25 PM)

Originally Posted by RM8

I mean, thanks :) But we Mexicans don't celebrate it, lol, our actual independence day is September 16th. Not that I think celebrating Cinco de Mayo is wrong or anything.

I don't care though. ;-)

What I care about is food, music and booze. As long as it's not offensive, I want to continue to enjoy 'em. I have a huge table booked at a fantastic Mexican restaurant for this fifth. Because I freakin' love it.

Christmas doesn't even make much sense when you do a deep dive into the history. Thanksgiving is super DARK when examined. But nobody's better get between me and my presents and my turkey.
CarpeDeezNutz
(04-21-2017, 05:37 PM)
I think I am going to get some street tacos or hit up a carnicería after work thanks to this thread.
LegalEagleMike
(04-21-2017, 05:38 PM)
because i need an excuse to eat fried ice cream.
Azzurri
(04-21-2017, 05:38 PM)
To drink even more.
jrh2
(04-21-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Aurongel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTZC...DcnwSWuWKGPw2g

how did it take so long for this to get posted?
Krakatoa
(04-21-2017, 05:41 PM)
For some reason Americans need a reason to drink. The rest of the world just gets shit faced when they feel like it.
Bruce Springsteen
(04-21-2017, 05:42 PM)
Just another day to drink and eat
sixteen-bit
(04-21-2017, 05:43 PM)
Corona has to put in work after missing the F8 of the Furious marketing opportunity
see5harp
I have no idea but drinking alcohol in the park with hot Latinas all around is pretty cool shit brah.
Judderman
drawer by drawer

Originally Posted by jrh2

how did it take so long for this to get posted?

44 posts late. Tsk.
N7.Angel
(04-21-2017, 05:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Zen_Arcade

There's your answer OP.

Most non-Mexican people in America that celebrate it either don't know or don't really give a shit about why it's celebrated. They're just using it as an excuse to drink and party.

Blue Geezer
(04-21-2017, 05:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Zukkoyaki

Young adults in America are desperate for ways to convince themselves they aren't alcoholics. Any reason to drink is good enough.

"It's a holiday/celebration, let's drink!"

... Hyperbole aside, it's just for fun like St. Patty's.

What the....

Paddy!
ReAxion
(04-21-2017, 05:48 PM)
there's a creepy vein in your issue that white people can't be associated with a holiday whose name is spanish.
heckmanimation
(04-21-2017, 05:49 PM)
involuntarily the corporations forced it on the public for the money - there was too big of a lull between st. pattys and memorial day

voluntarily - people love to party, drink, and eat mexican/AmeriMex food
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 05:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Blue Geezer

What the....

Paddy!

I don't even know why the Irish celebrate St. Patrick. It was a moment of subjugation, not victory.
Keyser Soze
(04-21-2017, 05:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Zukkoyaki

Young adults in America are desperate for ways to convince themselves they aren't alcoholics. Any reason to drink is good enough.

"It's a holiday/celebration, let's drink!"

... Hyperbole aside, it's just for fun like St. Patty's.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Eidan
(04-21-2017, 05:51 PM)
People like excuses to get drunk.
LosDaddie
keeping Americuh safe
(04-21-2017, 05:53 PM)
It's fun and the food is tasty 😋
Blue Geezer
(04-21-2017, 05:56 PM)

Originally Posted by capitalCORN

I don't even know why the Irish celebrate St. Patrick. It was a moment of subjugation, not victory.

Guinness needed the punts?
CaviarMeths
(04-21-2017, 05:58 PM)
The answer to most "why do we celebrate ______" questions is because some company wanted you to spend lucrative amounts of money on their shit and realized that a great way to do it was to either commandeer an existing holiday or make up their own.

Don't know how it is in other places either, but in Canada, we like to just make up fake holidays to give ourselves a paid day off. That's why we have "Family Day" and "Civic Holiday," where we couldn't even be bothered to come up with cool names for them. We just wanted to go fishing, man.
Last edited by CaviarMeths; 04-21-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Irnbru
(04-21-2017, 06:02 PM)
As a Mexican I say drink, then drink some more. So have an extra shot or 5 for my people
FyreWulff
I Spit Hot Fyre
(04-21-2017, 06:03 PM)
people want excuse to drink and eat
PjotrStroganov
(04-21-2017, 06:04 PM)
Because it's the day the Netherlands got liberated of course.
Emarv
(04-21-2017, 06:12 PM)
White people gonna White people ¯_(ツ)_/¯
McBryBry
(04-21-2017, 06:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Emarv

White people gonna White people ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Ding ding ding. Girlfriend was upset when I told her my best friend's wedding was on May 5th, meaning she couldn't go get white girl wasted until afterwards. I love her to death but sometimes she's so incredibly white.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Blue Geezer

Guinness needed the punts?

Time to open another Irish 'nacho' joint.
Mossybrew
(04-21-2017, 06:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

Yeah. I don't mind having a day a year where we celebrate our southern neighbor.
Alex_Mexico
(04-21-2017, 06:20 PM)
Yeah I never understood why if they were going to appropriate a Mexican day why not September 16 (Independence Day and our biggest holiday)? It's a better choice already and doesnt clash with any other celebration in the US!

Cinco de Mayo is so pathetic we even go to work on that day! It's so small it isnt even an official work holiday!
Verano
Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
(04-21-2017, 06:23 PM)
its what we mexicans call, "white peopling day". have fun gringos...
ghostofsparta
(04-21-2017, 06:24 PM)
I see it as another St. Pattys day.

I have no problem with people drinking, eating, being jolly on May 5th. But I do have a problem with people wearing stereotypical Mexican outfits while yelling things like "arrrrrriba!"

just cut that out, dress like you always do and get drunk
Alex_Mexico
(04-21-2017, 06:25 PM)

In 1862, at the time the Battle of Puebla took place, the United States was engaged in its Civil War. The French presence in Mexico was a strategic move: by gaining a toehold in Mexico, the French could then support the Confederate Army. The defeat of the French at the Battle of Puebla was not definitive, but it helped to stave off the French while the U.S. Union forces made advances. Thus Cinco de Mayo can be seen as a turning point in the U.S. Civil War. Cinco de Mayo was first celebrated in the United States in Southern California in 1863 as a show of solidarity with Mexico against French rule.

If this is true then consider my mind blown!

Still: Sept 16 > May 5
Princess Viola
(04-21-2017, 06:26 PM)
Cinco de Mayo is the one day of the year when white people pretend they care about Mexicans.
LosDaddie
keeping Americuh safe
(04-21-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Irnbru

As a Mexican I say drink, then drink some more. So have an extra shot or 5 for my people

As a Mexican, I support this post.
studyguy
(04-21-2017, 06:31 PM)
Let white people drink, doesn't bother me any.

CINCO DE DRINKO
norm9
(04-21-2017, 06:31 PM)
Maybe because I live in Los Angeles, but I've never seen the mean spirited appropriation and fake love of Mexicans that some in here are talking about. The love for Mexico is real in SoCal, carnal.
Alex_Mexico
(04-21-2017, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by norm9

Maybe because I live in Los Angeles, but I've never seen the mean spirited appropriation and fake love of Mexicans that some in here are talking about. The love for Mexico is real in SoCal, carnal.

Well of course! Did you know that Los Angeles is second only to Mexico City as the city with the largest Mexican population? Also California is one of the more inclusive and progressive states in the US. I'd like to see if that love was equally seen in, say, Mississippi.
Mossybrew
(04-21-2017, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by norm9

No doubt, as a San Diego native I can agree.
Eila
(04-21-2017, 07:14 PM)

Originally Posted by ESBL

Just a day to drink, Mexicans don't celebrate it, didn't they lose that war?

Yeah and the french put Emperor Maximilian in place. He didn't last long, though. The US backed the republic and the french retreated.