• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

nitekrawlwer
(04-21-2017, 01:38 PM)
1. Go to the arcades in Akihabara.
2. Eat everything you can get your hands on especially yakatori from those little food stands and Ramen shops. The best places to eat often have a line.
3. Shop for discounted classic games(you can often find old snes carts of popular games like FF for a few hundred yen in bookstores no less).
4. Even if you don't buy clothes go to Harajuku and see the one of the coolest most crowded "malls' in the world. People wearing high fashion and some excellent dining.
5. If you're staying for more than a few days or a weekend get a metro pass. Google Map some routes to see which would be best for you.
6. There are many beatiful Shrines. Check out some of those as well.
Last edited by nitekrawlwer; 04-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.
shawnbuddy
(04-21-2017, 01:40 PM)
Be careful not to get bitten by a puppy.
FrontalMonk
(04-21-2017, 01:45 PM)

Originally Posted by BudokaiMR2

Blasphemy.

Boss or bust.

Yoooooo. BOSS Coffee. So good. I was hooked on Rainbow Blend when I was there back in '07.

Hit up the Yebisu beer museum, find a good curry spot, hit up Yoshinoya's, go to akiba on a weekend and go nuts arcade hopping. That's how I spent my time in Tokyo, but I was only there for a few days. More fun with friends, esp. if you hit up a Yakiniku spot or something, which I totally recommend.
Jotaka
(04-21-2017, 01:49 PM)
Ramen, Curry, Yakitori, Unagi
mike6467
(04-21-2017, 01:51 PM)

Originally Posted by MikeHattsu

You don't order the bento at Robot Restaurant, you eat before or after going there :P

And Ghibli Museum has become impossible to get tickets to unless you book months beforehand.

Yeah, it's an important thing to note though since, well, restaurant is even in the name :D

Good to know about the museum, that's a shame though. I got our tickets through an agency a few months before we went over because I was paranoid about missing it (this was the beginning of 2014), but I'd talked to other people there who said you could get them at a Lawson's without much trouble.
Laevateinn
(04-21-2017, 01:55 PM)

Go to Kabukicho, speak with the hawkers and experience bottakuri.

Don't do this

I did this once for the experience but I knew what I was getting into, we don't drink and we were able to figure out how there system worked so we didn't end up spending much.

Don't do this unless you have a little extra money to spare and want to do something other than be able to tell people that you purposefully sought out a yakuza bar. They were pretty upset with us.
Skyzard
(04-21-2017, 01:56 PM)
Mcdonalds is great there.
King Gilga
(04-21-2017, 01:57 PM)
Food food food.

My favorite place in tokyo was this pork bowl place, Buttaku, their Buta-don was to die for, and pork rolls delicious, only place besides taco bell (what we my nearest one back home is 2 hours away) we went to twice.

The second best was this katsudon place in shibuka called Zuicho, super cheap as well, and the only miso soup I liked and finished on my whole trip.

Buy lots of stuff from the stupid big electronic/department stores, check out odaiba, my favorite part of tokyo from my time there, lots of stuff, no life size gundam atm though sadly.

Just check out all the big neighborhoods, tbh I'd hook up with someone to travel around with too, but I don't like solo traveling so yeah.

Originally Posted by kiri

Akihabara is you are planning to build a PC soon. Bic Camera is always nice to browse around.

I wouldn't, last time I went PC parts were ridiculously expensive, even by UK standards, a 980 was like £900 or something redonk like that.
sixteen-bit
(04-21-2017, 02:06 PM)
did they take down the Gundam statue already?
BudokaiMR2
(04-21-2017, 02:09 PM)

Originally Posted by FrontalMonk

Yoooooo. BOSS Coffee. So good. I was hooked on Rainbow Blend when I was there back in '07.

Damn right. BOSS of them all since 1992.
Jack Random
(04-21-2017, 02:09 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

did they take down the Gundam statue already?

they did, OP should hit up a sake bar or two (i know a few good spots)
WaterAstro
(04-21-2017, 02:11 PM)
Walk around town til someone says "Nice clothes you got there... you're pissing me off!"

Then strip yourself shirtless and proceed to beat the shit out of them.
MikeHattsu
(04-21-2017, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Laevateinn

I did this once for the experience but I knew what I was getting into, we don't drink and we were able to figure out how there system worked so we didn't end up spending much.

Don't do this unless you have a little extra money to spare and want to do something other than be able to tell people that you purposefully sought out a yakuza bar. They were pretty upset with us.

It's not the true experience unless you get drugged and get your wallet stolen ;P
shounenka
(04-21-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Skyzard

Lol, TRUTH. No fatty nuggets, green fries or lukewarm burgers.

They used to have a "Smile" item on the menu that cost "0 yen." Wonder where that went.

Originally Posted by FrontalMonk

BOSS Coffee. So good. I was hooked on Rainbow Blend

More truth. The only thing that I buy in large quantities at Don Quijote other than batteries and obscure Pepsi flavors.
lawnchair
Banned
(04-21-2017, 02:15 PM)
go to mcdonalds.....?
vacantseas
(04-21-2017, 02:28 PM)
Did you try google? "What to do in Tokyo"

I'm sure that'll be a great place to start.
Schlorgan
(04-21-2017, 02:34 PM)
Learn to drift.
kiri
(04-21-2017, 02:46 PM)

Originally Posted by King Gilga

I wouldn't, last time I went PC parts were ridiculously expensive, even by UK standards, a 980 was like £900 or something redonk like that.

Ah, I'm speaking from experience when I was building my last one, plus I was earning in Yen so I didn't care too much about the exchange rate (plus, it was a lot better!!)
Marion Cobretti
(04-21-2017, 02:55 PM)
Owl Cafe in Asakusa.

Psychedelics in Shibuya.

Golden Gai.

Super Mario Bar.

Piss Alley

Sunday afternoon, rockabilly dudes in yoyogi park.

Take a ferry to odaiba. Enjoy the view from odaiba.
BannedEpisode
(04-21-2017, 03:01 PM)
Just walk around. Place is cool/strange even if you are just exploring a suburb or smaller neighborhood.

Oh and Nakano Broadway is super strange. Check that out.
Last edited by BannedEpisode; 04-21-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Skyzard
(04-21-2017, 03:05 PM)

Originally Posted by shounenka

Lol, TRUTH. No fatty nuggets, green fries or lukewarm burgers.

They used to have a "Smile" item on the menu that cost "0 yen." Wonder where that went.

They brought over that smile stuff here to the UK I think. They'd ask some random person to smile and get a free burger or something.

Only saw it in ads.
Llyranor
(04-21-2017, 03:08 PM)
Will you have spare days for day trips? If so, Kamakura or Nikko are well worth a visit.
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 03:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Dimefan3

...And then you've seen that part of Tokyo?

I thought part of the fun of travelling was just taking in a completely different place?

He's there for a short period and has a lot to see. I wouldn't say walking around is the first thing.

Though, going to Sugamo for the Michelin Ramen (easy if you get up early) and walking from there is really nice.

It's not the true experience unless you get drugged and get your wallet stolen ;P

In Tokyo? Unless you're in Roppongi, how's that gunna happen? haha

I remember when BFF-chan told me that the other side of the Takenotsuka station was the "bad part" of Adachi-ku. It was so peaceful with kids hanging out and a decent SEGA game center haha.
Ryuelli
(04-21-2017, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by spons

Delve into local cuisine such as McDonalds and KFC.

You probably say this jokingly, but as someone living in Asia I honestly would suggest popping into a McDonalds just to try something you can't get back home. I also feel like their food is better quality here, back in America I would always get sick after eating McDonalds.

Visited Japan last summer. I thought Akihibara was really over rated. I like Kyoto more than Tokyo, but my favorite part of Tokyo was watching the sunset while sitting on Odaiba near the Statue of Liberty.

Eat all the Takoyaki you can. I never heard of the stuff before trying it, but it was easily my favorite food I had there.
Last edited by Ryuelli; 04-21-2017 at 03:15 PM.
MikeHattsu
(04-21-2017, 03:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Izuna

In Tokyo? Unless you're in Roppongi, how's that gunna happen? haha

We were talking about the dodgy places in Kabukicho with the hawkers ;P
zeemumu
(04-21-2017, 03:17 PM)
Drift
Frost_Ace
(04-21-2017, 03:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Marion Cobretti

Piss Alley

Do I want to know what that is?
MikeHattsu
(04-21-2017, 03:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Frost_Ace

Yes, you do actually.
NastyBook
Either. That shit that make your soul burn slow, or not.
(04-21-2017, 03:27 PM)

I'm envisioning black bars over eyes and LOTS of mosaic blur.
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 03:50 PM)

Can't say I've ever been into any ;)

I was bored, walking around Shinjuku on some off time and I ended outside some okama place. Don't follow the crowd.

Originally Posted by Skyzard

It's SUPER salty

I have to tell them to not add salt to the burgers. I can taste it before it gets to my mouth.

(from the UK)
Starviper
(04-21-2017, 04:04 PM)
Definitely hit up the arcades and try out some games. I got pretty hopelessly addicted to KanColelle, this battleship-waifu arcade game that prints out cards as you play.

Some cat cafes are super nice. IIRC there's a really good one in Shinjuku but they should have a few in most districts. Definitely check reviews.

Check out the Meiji Shrine outside of Harajuku

Wander down some alleys and find some good food. Got an amazing hot pot at a place off the busy streets.

If you're staying for a week or two look at picking up the travel pass that lets you use the bullet trains for free; you could check out Kyoto or Osaka easily (the pass itself is a couple hundred IIRC, but a single round trip can cost around as much).

Drink heavily as public intoxication isn't a crime there.

Catch one of the last call trains and get packed in like a sardine.

I know a bike shop that does tours around Tokyo, super friendly guy and he may even let you rent a bike out. If you want the info shoot me a PM.

Look up Soaplands.

Start an argument with the dudes that come up to you and try to get you to come to fake clubs. Legit lost around 120$ getting bamboozled.
kiri
(04-21-2017, 04:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Starviper

Drink heavily as public intoxication isn't a crime there.

Catch one of the last call trains and get packed in like a sardine.

Look up Soaplands.

Start an argument with the dudes that come up to you and try to get you to come to fake clubs. Legit lost around 120$ getting bamboozled.

Yeah....don't do any of these things. End of the day, you're a foreigner and police will be more than happy to make a mountain out of a molehill. As ever when visiting a foreign country, you're a guest - be responsible.
Meier
(04-21-2017, 04:14 PM)

Originally Posted by shnurgleton

I heard Outback Steakhouse is good

Funny you should mention this - the location in Shibuya is where my wife and I met cvxfreak for lunch when we visited, lol. He usually takes Americans there since it's not overwhelmingly busy and everyone is assured to at least be fine with the food they eat, haha.

KFC doesn't have mashed potatoes in Japan. :crying emoji:
TCRS
(04-21-2017, 04:26 PM)

Accidentally walked into the red light district while on my way to the capcom bar. Lots of shady guys standing around but I only fully realized it when two scantly clad women descended from an upstairs club. Phew.
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 04:26 PM)
If you have a date, Didact, PLEASE go to Odaiba.

That place is heaven. Check out Joypolis and get a day pass if you can (go on a weekday not the weekend). It's a video game theme park of sorts.

If you do go, check out the Japanese doll thing on the top floor and let me know if you screamed.
Maxim726X
(04-21-2017, 04:28 PM)
OP, go to a Maid Cafe.

It's so fucking weird. Something all should experience once.
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 04:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Maxim726X

OP, go to a Maid Cafe.

It's so fucking weird. Something all should experience once.

I disagree. I had to nope out when a friend said it was something he wanted to do.

The girl sat us down, used her magic breath to light up a plastic candle, and said we needed to do some anime shit to call her over.

Prices are FUCKING INSANE. Like 100 JPY food for 2,300 plus a mandatory service charge for like 800. It was in some tiny building on the 6th floor or something too.

I told him if he wants to do that, he can do it on his own. The fact that he was too shy to expresses how creepy the whole thing is.

Screw funding this Yakuza owned prostitution of young girls.

It's all good fun until you realise it's a booming industry that offers girls skills to go into other oppressive industries. It's a human zoo for those who don't get a kick out of it.
mike6467
(04-21-2017, 04:47 PM)

If you have a date, Didact, PLEASE go to Odaiba.

That place is heaven. Check out Joypolis and get a day pass if you can (go on a weekday not the weekend). It's a video game theme park of sorts.

If you do go, check out the Japanese doll thing on the top floor and let me know if you screamed.

This is good advice too. Daiba was a joy to walk around. Also check out the rainbow bridge at night if you're in a position to do so. Not sure where the Pokemon stores are now, but if that's something you're interested in (or have a relatives who are fans) you can track those down and buy souvenirs. My nieces/nephews lost their shit when I brought them a Pokemon FROM JAPAN.

Plus didn't they just get a new Gundam? Fake edit: Boo, just checked and I guess the new one isn't up yet.

Joypolis was fun too. We went on a weekday shortly after they opened and the place was filled with staffers just kind of staring at us. There were likely less then 20 visitors in the whole place. I played that Initial D game like 5 times in a row because there wasn't a wait. At one point there was a big buildup for a music video on their big screen, at which point there was a mass gathering of staffers, and everyone seriously got into it. This was one of the more bizarre things I saw on that trip.

I also left a 50 yen coin in the locker for the giant halfpipe rhythm game, and the staff went WAY out of their way to make sure I got back. We thought we were in trouble because three staffers stopped us, and upon realizing we didn't speak Japanese, had us wait 5 minutes while someone who did came over to explain I'd left the coin and they needed to return it. The service in Japan consistently blew me away, they were incredibly conscientious and went way out of their way to help even if it was outside their scope of work.

Also OP, what area are you staying in? You may get some better suggestions based on that.

Edit: This is making me want to go back heh. Wish I'd been able to take advantage of those absurd flight discounts that got posted recently.
Last edited by mike6467; 04-21-2017 at 04:50 PM.
King Gilga
(04-21-2017, 04:49 PM)
I mean nevermind all that it's just cringy.

We joked about it before the trip but walking past some we just noped, just go to those all you can drink places and get black out drunk instead, that was probably my favorite night there. Drunk japanese people are hilarious.

And yeah Odaiba is amazing, definitely my favorite 'part' of tokyo.
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 05:04 PM)
You went on the Initial D machine 5 times?! IN A ROW?!

Our weekday was sadly when kids were out of school, so it fucking sucked.

We went on that one 360 racer (where you have two drivers) and the line was so long, I was hooked at the gameplay and talked strategy with my partner. She isn't a gamer, but she drives so how bad can it be?

There was a girl on her own, and two teenage couples. "I got this", I thought. "Eri, you see that last bit? We are going to go right." I said, referring to a part at the end of the racer where speed boosts were on the sides of the track.

I tapped my fingers in time of the gameplay I saw, "it's more important that we boost in time, so don't do it on reaction. When I saw, now, do it after (x) seconds".

I was confident. I just got my butt kicked on the Sonic Olympics machine, this was the first skill based game where I could actually show how good I was. I just needed to beat these teenagers.

We got by the gate, AND THESE FUCKERS SWITCHED TEAMS. Those goddamn teenagers put the girls on their own team last minute and had the boys in the other. "We're fucked!" I whisper loudly. I tried to calm down. I needed to take my glasses off so I had to be on the lower car.

Shit was bad. My girlfriend had forgotten the timing. I make callouts. The race is close. The game has some bullshit Manx TT handicap I swear, but it wasn't enough. We get our shit together about half way through.

The boys, the solo girl, and us were in a tight race for first. My heart was pounding. I wasn't appreciating that the cars, jets or whatever would rotate every time you boost. I almost didn't want to do it because of how uncomfortable it was, but I had to win.

Final stretch. I call out loud as if I were playing Trials of Osiris. "Eri! Remember! We go right!" We 360 boost for the final time as the last part of the track comes up. The boys fuck up, they didn't react in time and missed the boosts on the left and right sides... BUT NOT THE SOLO GIRL! That bitch!

I witness this in slow motion. We're so close to each other in the game that my peripheral vision can almost see another screen synced up perfectly. This bitch benefitted for not having to coordinate. The race ends with me knowing that she was accelerating while we had reached out top speed.

"FUCK!" I say loudly and in English... as a 23-year-old in Tokyo. I'm already half way through my explanation of why the solo girl had an advantage as the scoreboards pop up. I don't even look, I'm trying to get out of the machine as I turn to my girlfriend. She looks jaded. "We won." She says.

I turn around...

I shit you not...

One millisecond.

~~

and then I waited an hour in line for Initial D and was the only dude that lost to the CPU that day so whatevs.
darscot
(04-21-2017, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by kiri

Yeah....don't do any of these things. End of the day, you're a foreigner and police will be more than happy to make a mountain out of a molehill. As ever when visiting a foreign country, you're a guest - be responsible.

This is the exact opposite of my experience, greatest night life on earth. Hit the town, drink, be merry, wine, women and song as they say. Japan on the piss is fantastic.
andymcc
(04-21-2017, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by King Gilga

And yeah Odaiba is amazing, definitely my favorite 'part' of tokyo.

wtf

it's like an island shopping mall with some ok restaurants.
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 05:11 PM)

Originally Posted by darscot

This is the exact opposite of my experience, greatest night life on earth. Hit the town, drink, be merry, wine, women and song as they say. Japan on the piss is fantastic.

Yeah. Police in Japan are super polite.

I got extremely lost once and wanted to ask where a station was (because it was a PoI for me) and we had a funny conversation with my little Japanese about how many traffic lights I needed to walk past before turning.

They offered to walk me like, almost the entire way. I refused, of course, and got lost for another hour but that's okay.
Ken K in the Fresh!!!
(04-21-2017, 05:13 PM)
Get the egg salad sandwich and tuna sandwich at the convenience stores. Trust me
darscot
(04-21-2017, 05:13 PM)

Yeah. Police in Japan are super polite.

I got extremely lost once and wanted to ask where a station was (because it was a PoI for me) and we had a funny conversation with my little Japanese about how many traffic lights I needed to walk past before turning.

They offered to walk me like, almost the entire way. I refused, of course, and got lost for another hour but that's okay.

The culture of Japan, a stranger will walk you 20 minutes out of their way if you're lost. Then let the door swing shut in your face walking into a building. :)
Izuna
(04-21-2017, 05:14 PM)

Originally Posted by darscot

The culture of Japan, a stranger will walk you 20 minutes out of their way if you're lost. Then let the door swing shut in your face walking into a building. :)

lmao
Marion Cobretti
(04-21-2017, 05:15 PM)

Memory Lane aka Piss Alley.

Golden Gai.
jufonuk
(04-21-2017, 05:16 PM)
Akihabara. Ghibli Museum.
itwasTuesday
(04-21-2017, 05:18 PM)
Gotta check out Japan's take on an American cheese burger.
Merchandise
(04-21-2017, 05:18 PM)
Karaoke in the Golden Gai with drunk salarymen.