• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

womfalcs3
(04-21-2017, 05:56 PM)
I find the meaning of time very fascinating. I have spent my life submitting to the fact time will move forward and events will end at some point (like vacations, family get-togethers, etc.). The video below provides a concise definition of time.

The video concedes that entropy increases as time moves forward. So, how could time going backwards not violate the laws of physics if the second law of thermodynamics states that entropy cannot decrease in an isolated system, or the universe if we were to believe nothing is acting on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRvbEoHHx4M
TheCochese
(04-21-2017, 05:58 PM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHfB63ln1Ig

What I immediately thought of.
Mr. Poolman
(04-21-2017, 05:58 PM)
I honestly doubt time is moving forward, I think we just perceive it that way.
SpaceWolf
(04-21-2017, 05:59 PM)
I've always been intrigued by the theory of time as presented in Slaughterhouse Five, where time doesn't adhere to a logical progression but is instead an infinite number of events that are taking place simultaneously at a universal scale, and that it's our minds that create the illusion of linearity as some form of copy mechanism.
womfalcs3
(04-21-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Matriox

Time is a tool you can put on a wall or wear it on your wrist.
The past is far behind us. The future, it doesn't exist.

Watch how the past and future fit into the space-time definition in the video.
Makonero
(04-21-2017, 06:04 PM)
dude have you ever thought about how we wear watches

it's like we're literally shackled by time

and watches are our metaphorical and literal handcuffs

we're all trapped in time

duuuuuuude
Reverend Funk
Comfy Penetration
I like to think of the entirity of time throughout the whole universe as a 4d loaf of bread on a 5d countertop, and I am but a rye
Bruce Springsteen
Time kills all
Ethelwulf
Order to disorder as the universe gets older. You can't stop that.
Cross-Section
(04-21-2017, 06:05 PM)
You know, someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment...

...because they'll never come again.
John Kowalski
#thor2thedarkworld
(04-21-2017, 06:05 PM)
It's either real or it's a dream, there's nothing that is in between.
Reverend Funk
Comfy Penetration
(04-21-2017, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by John Kowalski

It's either real or it's a dream, there's nothing that is in between.

yea? Watch this
zer0blivion
(04-21-2017, 06:06 PM)
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Thanks, OP. Now I need to listen to Dark Side of the Moon.

Pink Floyd - Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYX52BP2Sk
Ozzy Onya A2Z
(04-21-2017, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by SpaceWolf

I've always been intrigued by the theory of time as presented in Slaughterhouse Five, where time doesn't adhere to a logical progression but is instead an infinite number of events that are taking place simultaneously at a universal scale, and that it's our minds that create the illusion of linearity as some form of copy mechanism.

Why would video cameras work nearly identically to your own perception of events over time in this scenario? Don't buy it personally.
Reverend Funk
Comfy Penetration
(04-21-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Ozzy Onya A2Z

Why would video cameras work nearly identically to your own perception of events over time in this scenario? Don't buy it personally.

Instances would still have to be continuous, its just that there isn't a defined order
CarpeDeezNutz
(04-21-2017, 06:11 PM)
I was all about Bergsonian Metaphysics in college, check out "The Creative Mind" from my boy Henri Bergson.
John Kowalski
#thor2thedarkworld
(04-21-2017, 06:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Reverend Funk

yea? Watch this

Watch what
Xe4
(04-21-2017, 06:16 PM)
Well first of all entropy is a statistical law. It's not that without the input of energy entropy increases always and forever, just that it's very unlikely to decrease on its own.

I can't watch a 50 minute video, but to my knowledge, time can't go backwards. As you said the second law of thermodynamics, and a few other physical phenomena are not time symmetric. The rest, particularly classical mechanics is time symmetric, meaning it looks identical moving forwards or backwards.

If you can expand on your question I can try to answer better.
GalacticAE
(04-21-2017, 06:18 PM)
You will read this post again and have always read this post...

Afrodium
(04-21-2017, 06:20 PM)
This post is from the past
Timeaisis
(04-21-2017, 06:23 PM)
Time is fascinating. I guess you can tell I'm kind of obsessed with it by my username.

Originally Posted by linkman26

Ticking away the moments that make up the dull days!!

Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kimawolf
(04-21-2017, 06:24 PM)
The laws of physics are symmetric. They work the same rather time is going forward or backwards.

Also consider this. There is delay in your brain processing signals from your eyes. So everything you see and hear are all on a delay. Your brain actually fills in and does a lot of predictive stuff and illusions to fool you into thinking its working in real time.
johancruijff
(04-21-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Bruce Springsteen

Time kills all

Time heals all
Mindlog
(04-21-2017, 06:31 PM)
Propagation is a myth and so follows time. Nothing ever happens. Don't believe the lie.
#FlatTime
Randy Monk
(04-21-2017, 06:32 PM)
Tears in the rain
Wet Bloodfart
(04-21-2017, 06:33 PM)
4/20 was yesterday mang
heckmanimation
(04-21-2017, 06:35 PM)
thanks for the watch OP, this is great.

really love physics and time
STILLethal
(04-21-2017, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Kimawolf

The laws of physics are symmetric. They work the same rather time is going forward or backwards.

Also consider this. There is delay in your brain processing signals from your eyes. So everything you see and hear are all on a delay. Your brain actually fills in and does a lot of predictive stuff and illusions to fool you into thinking its working in real time.

Joe Shlabotnik
(04-21-2017, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Bruce Springsteen

Time kills all

Time is the only way to pretend anything is alive
Choomp
(04-21-2017, 06:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Matriox

Time is a tool you can put on a wall or wear it on your wrist.
The past is far behind us. The future, it doesn't exist.

It's nine thirty, there's fish everywhere

fish everywhere
Matriox
(04-21-2017, 06:53 PM)

Originally Posted by womfalcs3

Watch how the past and future fit into the space-time definition in the video.

I know you quoted me before I linked it to a video, but it was mostly a shit post referring to Dhmis. I don't have time to watch your video at the moment, but the one I posted essentially makes fun of how people are taught how time works on a linear and basic level, and when individuals start questioning beyond that, the questions get pushed off as unnecessary. Time is a very crazy thing once you start really thinking about it.
Drazgul
(04-21-2017, 07:04 PM)
♫ Tiii-iiiiime, is on my side, yeeesss it iiiisss ♪
Bruce Springsteen
(04-21-2017, 07:05 PM)

Originally Posted by johancruijff

Time heals all

people still die heartbroken, just not as painful as it initially occur

the idea of "time heals all" is BS, many people just get used to the pain
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(04-21-2017, 07:07 PM)
Time is a direction in space brehs. It ticks forward at one second per second.
Lenz44
(04-21-2017, 07:08 PM)
I agree OP, one of the best Hootie songs.

Time, you left me standing there
Like a tree growing all alone
The wind just stripped me bare, stripped me bare
Time, the past has come and gone
The future's far away
Now only lasts for one second, one second
Can you teach me about tomorrow
And all the pain and sorrow
Running free?
'Cause tomorrow's just another day
And I don't believe in time
itwasTuesday
(04-21-2017, 07:09 PM)
vatstep
This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(04-21-2017, 07:09 PM)
Hail Zimmer
Muppet of a Man
(04-21-2017, 07:15 PM)
Maybe the fabric of space-time is like the surface of a globe: all matter and energy disperse from the initial violent expansion, being subject to entropy in the process, only to reconverge at a single point at the opposing "pole" for the whole thing to happen all over again in an unending cycle.
hobozero
(04-21-2017, 07:19 PM)

Originally Posted by TheRedSnifit

Is time even real? Does anyone know?
Maybe time's just a construct of human perception
An illusion created by-

Well. That was fucking horrifying.Thanks. I'm just gonna go cry in the shower for a bit.
TheRedSnifit
(04-21-2017, 07:21 PM)

Originally Posted by hobozero

Well. That was fucking horrifying.Thanks. I'm just gonna go cry in the shower for a bit.

Time is important and I am a clock!
jem0208
(04-21-2017, 07:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Poolman

I honestly doubt time is moving forward, I think we just perceive it that way.

Time is relative, it moves at different speeds due to relativity. Surely that means that it isn't just us perceiving it?
hobozero
(04-21-2017, 07:26 PM)

Originally Posted by TheRedSnifit

Time is important and I am a clock!

"Someone once told me, 'Time is important and I am a clock'..."

Fix-It Felix, Jr.
(04-21-2017, 07:26 PM)
I like to think of time as boxcars that have no ending. Every minute we all move to the next boxcar.
Last edited by Fix-It Felix, Jr.; 04-22-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Th3BranMan92
(04-21-2017, 07:28 PM)
Time is absolutely relative to the observer. For the living, time passes at a variable rate. For the dead, time passes at infinity. Without any observers, time is an undetectable dimension altogether. Just as you and i did not exist (meaning we did not perceive time) before birth, all of that 'time' passed instantaneously.

There are studies that suggest that the common fly Perceives time faster than humans, which can be observed by their lightning fast reaction times when you try to swat it. This has been explained by an increased metabolic rate.

Humans also have the ability to 'slow' time by using adrenaline, which increases the rate at which the brain processes information (meaning our perception of time). When people say, "the crash happened in slow motion" - they are probably telling the truth from their perspective, since again, time is relative to the observer.

I'd like to believe that all living organisms (including plants) work in a similar fashion. I believe that one day, we will be able to manipulate time with nothing more than our cybernetic enhanced minds. I'll be dead in about 60 years, so the moment I die, time will speed up to infinity, until I am reborn into the same body instantaneously, since our consciousness is locked to the time of which we existed in.
jem0208
(04-21-2017, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Th3BranMan92

Time is absolutely relative to the observer. For the living, time passes at a variable rate. For the dead, time passes at infinity. Without any observers, time is an undetectable dimension altogether. Just as you and i did not exist (meaning we did not perceive time) before birth, all of that 'time' passed instantaneously.

There are studies that suggest that the common fly Perceives time faster than humans, which can be observed by their lightning fast reaction times when you try to swat it. This has been explained by an increased metabolic rate.

Humans also have the ability to 'slow' time by using adrenaline, which increases the rate at which the brain processes information (meaning our perception of time). When people say, "the crash happened in slow motion" - they are probably telling the truth from their perspective, since again, time is relative to the observer.

I'd like to believe that all living organisms (including plants) work in a similar fashion. I believe that one day, we will be able to manipulate time with nothing more than our cybernetic enhanced minds. I'll be dead in about 60 years, so the moment I die, time will speed up to infinity, until I am reborn into the same body instantaneously, since our consciousness is locked to the time of which we existed in.

That isn't time moving slower.

What you're talking about is perceiving and processing more information in a given amount of time. This gives the illusion that time is moving more slowly.
heckmanimation
(04-21-2017, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Muppet of a Man

Maybe the fabric of space-time is like the surface of a globe: all matter and energy disperse from the initial violent expansion, being subject to entropy in the process, only to reconverge at a single point at the opposing "pole" for the whole thing to happen all over again in an unending cycle.

this is what i think. not that its necessarily a sphere... but that the big bang is a cycle
olag
(04-21-2017, 07:31 PM)