• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:00 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar
What is Ska? Wikipedia is a good place to start I guess. Check out the entry there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska

Anyone else here listen to ska? I've been meaning to make a general ska discussion thread for a while now. Not sure how many people on GAF listen to the genre, but hopefully this thread will get some more people to take a listen and find something they enjoy. So post your favorite songs, albums, bands or any shows you are going to. Doesn't matter if it's the traditional, 2 Tone, 3rd wave, punk, jazz, soul or blues variety of ska. Any kind will do.

Since I'm guessing participation in the thread will be minimal, I'm going to try to post an album a day or so to listen to to keep the thread alive. If I can get even one person to start listening to ska then this thread will be worth it. There's still great music being made by new and old bands and I'd personally like to share music from the genre that goes beyond the well known bands like Reel Big Fish, Bosstones, Less Than Jake, Catch22/Streetlight Manifesto, etc.

I'm going to be using Spotify links for most everything so it would be best to sign up for that if you can. Get Spotify here. I'll try to post some YouTube links as well, but finding obscure ska band videos that are of good quality can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

I have a large Spotify playlist that I've been working on for a while and most of the albums I'll be posting are represented there. So check it out. http://open.spotify.com/user/mrjelly...SAmBmKcRwAgZLw

So with that said, here's my first recommended album to listen to.



Mr. T-Bone and the Young Lions - Heroes.
Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/7vfjeficBhQ4RXDF7Gs7Kq

Mr. T-Bone and the Young Lions - Money
Mr. T-Bone and the Young Lions - Do My Best
Mr. T-Bone and The Young Lions - The President Of The Republic Of Bananas
RawPower
Banned
(01-31-2012, 08:02 PM)
Does Operation Ivy count?
Omegasquash
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:02 PM)
Omegasquash's Avatar
Let's not.

I kid.
Cheebo
Cheebs
(01-31-2012, 08:04 PM)
Greatest ska band there ever was and ever will be:
Double D
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:04 PM)
Double D's Avatar
There was a period in my lifetime when Ska was the only genre of music that existed. I think the last ska album I bought was by Spring Heeled Jack (over 10 years ago). I have a sweet Skankin' Pickle shirt that is still in pretty damn good shape. So sure, I'm ready to listen to ska again.
Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:07 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by RawPower

Does Operation Ivy count?

They are a ska/punk band, so yes, they count. Awesome band too.

Originally Posted by Omegasquash

Let's not.

I kid.

I knew I would get replies like this :P That's why I started the thread. Hopefully people will check some of the bands out here and find something they like.
Azar
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:08 PM)
Azar's Avatar
Was just listening to GNV FLA earlier this morning. Love ska. One of my friends/roommates from high school and college is in the ska band The Taj Motel Trio, which is a small east coast ska-punk group that's been around for about 10 years. They've never gotten very big, but ska is such a small genre overall that he knows most of the guys in Streetlight, The Toasters, etc.
RawPower
Banned
(01-31-2012, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Wired All Wrong

They are a ska/punk band, so yes, they count. Awesome band too.

I figured they were more on the punk side. That's why I asked. XD
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(01-31-2012, 08:09 PM)
daviyoung's Avatar
Spunge - Kicking Pigeons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZstUnhT6eI
Maleficence
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:09 PM)
Maleficence's Avatar
There was a pretty large (in terms of number of people involved I think) ska band I heard once, but for my life of me I can't remember their name. Shame as I really liked the music.
Buckethead
Banned
(01-31-2012, 08:09 PM)
Buckethead's Avatar
Where's the Mustard Plug?
The Broken Ska Record
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:10 PM)
The Broken Ska Record's Avatar
I fully endorse this thread.

I'm about to go to work, so I can't really post anything right now but I'll make a list of some stuff when I get home.
LQX
Remember, he is Canadian.
(01-31-2012, 08:11 PM)
LQX's Avatar
I love Ska but mostly real Jamaican Ska....

Owen Gray - Midnight Track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3zfhV6bwAM

Derrick & Patsy - Housewifes Choice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6xFQic5D4

Alton Ellis - Girl I've Got A Date
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvzthjJI9Xg
Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:11 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Azar

Was just listening to GNV FLA earlier this morning. Love ska. One of my friends/roommates from high school and college is in the ska band The Taj Motel Trio, which is a small east coast ska-punk group that's been around for about 10 years. They've never gotten very big, but ska is such a small genre overall that he knows most of the guys in Streetlight, The Toasters, etc.

That's pretty awesome. I've only heard a few songs from Taj Motel Trio, but what I heard was pretty good. They got a song on the Rock Band Network that I love playing.
parrotbeak
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:12 PM)
parrotbeak's Avatar
I used to listen to ska more, mostly 1st and 3rd wave, kinda never got into 2 Tone except for the Specials.

The newest ska band I've heard is Streetlight Manifesto, but I've only listened to them on Youtube. I will probably pick up a cd soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo76ijhUqjE
leadbelly
Banned
(01-31-2012, 08:12 PM)
leadbelly's Avatar

Originally Posted by RawPower

I figured they were more on the punk side. That's why I asked. XD

Well actually, there was a genre known as '2 tone' that originated in the UK in the 70s. It's more a mix of Ska, punk, reggae, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Tone
Maleficence
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:15 PM)
Maleficence's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maleficence

There was a pretty large (in terms of number of people involved I think) ska band I heard once, but for my life of me I can't remember their name. Shame as I really liked the music.

Found them! Haha didn't take that long on last.fm <3

Was streetlight Manifesto, but they're not quite as good as I remember them.
Machine
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:16 PM)
Machine's Avatar
I liked The English Beat and Madness back in the 80s. The Specials were pretty popular too. Other than that, I've never really gotten into ska.
Tapiozona
Banned
(01-31-2012, 08:16 PM)
Tapiozona's Avatar
Was more of a 90's socal punk fan but here's my ska contribution from the same era.
Rocket from the Crypt - On a Rope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777kGx7-qLw

And probably the most covered song by ska bands..
Progagandhi - Ska Sucks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03gEzdLa2g
Last edited by Tapiozona; 01-31-2012 at 08:27 PM.
lethial
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:16 PM)
lethial's Avatar
I went through a punk phase in the 90s. Delved into OpIvy, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger (i guess they weren't true ska though), etc. Can't stand it these days.
tim.mbp
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:17 PM)
tim.mbp's Avatar
Might as well start with the best

Toots and the Maytals - 54-46 Was My Number
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(01-31-2012, 08:18 PM)
soultron's Avatar
Ska is my favourite genre of music. As well as reggae.

The Slackers are my favourite band of all time.

Subscribed for later posting since I'm at work.
parrotbeak
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:19 PM)
parrotbeak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maleficence

Found them! Haha didn't take that long on last.fm <3

Was streetlight Manifesto, but they're not quite as good as I remember them.

I heard them recently after not listening to any ska for years, and I got excited but forgot to look into them further. They have a cd with all covers; I'll probably pick that up.
Gala
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:21 PM)
Gala's Avatar
I can't stand Ska. It really annoys me to the level that I leave the dancing area or the club when the DJ decides to play it. I don't know exactly what it is about it, maybe it's because I can't stand Raggae ether.
Jokab
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:22 PM)
Jokab's Avatar
I don't usually listen to this kind of music, but the swedish band Hoffmaestro had a huge hit with Highway Man this summer here in Sweden, and wiki lists them as ska so I guess it fits here.

Hoffmaestro - Highway Man
Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:43 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by lethial

I went through a punk phase in the 90s. Delved into OpIvy, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger (i guess they weren't true ska though), etc. Can't stand it these days.

I see this a lot with people. Got into the ska/punk and 3rd wave stuff and fell out of love with it when they got older. I think the 3rd wave popularity hurt ska in some ways since it was filled with silly, immature, novelty bands that were just riding the popularity of the genre. The whole image of ska was definitely silly in the 90's. I think if it became popular in the 90's because of traditional ska bands like The Slackers it would have more respect than it does these days.

I know I have a hard time going back and listening to some of the stuff I did in high school because it was so amateur and juvenile. You and everyone who was into ska at one time should give it another shot sometime. The albums I'll be posting will be more on the traditional ska side of things. So check them out.
Last edited by Wired All Wrong; 01-31-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Maleficence
Member
(01-31-2012, 08:50 PM)
Maleficence's Avatar

Originally Posted by parrotbeak

I heard them recently after not listening to any ska for years, and I got excited but forgot to look into them further. They have a cd with all covers; I'll probably pick that up.

"Would you be impressed" is actually pretty good.
Bentles
Member
(01-31-2012, 09:02 PM)
Bentles's Avatar
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Impression That I Get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2oTp3mBm1w

Heard it in Digimon the movie xD. I love this song. It's got a summery vibe to it.

Time to listen to some of these and see if I like anything else in this genre.
tm24
Member
(01-31-2012, 09:03 PM)
tm24's Avatar
Still one of the most fun concerts ive ever been too

http://youtu.be/qmfd3GVoJMQ

Was a great night
Venfayth
Member
(01-31-2012, 09:11 PM)
Venfayth's Avatar
I actually listened to a ton of Smash Mouth growing up, heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th4UL9WuTNc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdALfXpYCLs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwKo9tVO9U

I don't really know if this is what most people would consider Ska, but it's what I heard it was once (old smash mouth)
Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 09:15 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar
Fush Yu Mang is a great album. Used to listen to that all the time back in the day. Padrino is definitely the best Smash Mouth song.
Dishwalla
Member
(01-31-2012, 09:39 PM)
Dishwalla's Avatar


My favorite ska record.

*Goes off to listen to it.



This one is always good too.
Last edited by Dishwalla; 01-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Sonki.
Banned
(01-31-2012, 09:58 PM)
Sonki.'s Avatar
I was just watching this Madness video so I may as well post it.

http://youtu.be/FF1IpBD8i2I

I never really dove into Ska. Other than The Specials and Madness and really popular acts.
Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 10:02 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dishwalla



My favorite ska record.

Ah yes, good old Spring Heeled Jack. I was just listening to Songs from Suburbia the other day. So much better than Static World View. Too bad they only made two albums.

Originally Posted by Sonki.

I never really dove into Ska. Other than The Specials and Madness and really popular acts.

Keep an eye on this thread then. I'll be posting an album or two a day to listen to. Hopefully something will catch your attention.
Cindres
Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
(01-31-2012, 10:05 PM)
Cindres's Avatar
I went to see Reel Big Fish last night, we counting Ska-Punk? Also saw Madness in summer.

Fuck yeah ska.
Dragoon En Regalia
Member
(01-31-2012, 10:22 PM)
Dragoon En Regalia's Avatar
Weird┬Śno one's mentioned Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. They've been my favorite for a while, with an immense discography and a wide variety of different styles and fusions. Most of their work is instrumental, but the songs they do, however few, are usually well-written and feature some great singing. And, yes, they're Japanese, so there's some weirdness in the whole package. Still feels more refined and more genuine than anything ska-related today!
tm24
Member
(01-31-2012, 10:31 PM)
tm24's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragoon En Regalia

Weird┬Śno one's mentioned Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. They've been my favorite for a while, with an immense discography and a wide variety of different styles and fusions. Most of their work is instrumental, but the songs they do, however few, are usually well-written and feature some great singing. And, yes, they're Japanese, so there's some weirdness in the whole package. Still feels more refined and more genuine than anything ska-related today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIi88qEH_SA

We have to run through US/UK ska before we move on to TSPO and Ore Ska Band and all that japanese ska
besada
#NotMyAmerica
(01-31-2012, 10:53 PM)
besada's Avatar
Skankin Pickle
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Grown Ups
Gals Panic
Maroon Town
Last edited by besada; 01-31-2012 at 10:55 PM.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(01-31-2012, 11:28 PM)
soultron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragoon En Regalia

Weird—no one's mentioned Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. They've been my favorite for a while, with an immense discography and a wide variety of different styles and fusions. Most of their work is instrumental, but the songs they do, however few, are usually well-written and feature some great singing. And, yes, they're Japanese, so there's some weirdness in the whole package. Still feels more refined and more genuine than anything ska-related today!

If you're into Japanese ska, BAGHDAD CAFE THE Trenchtown is an easy recommendation to make. They're more reggae than anything though. But they're so easy to love. Unlike TSPO, there's a language barrier involved, unfortunately. I don't think they're very active these days, either, unfortunately. It's also really expensive to import their stuff. I'd die if I could find a way to easily afford one of their albums.

More Japanese reggae:
Dry & Heavy -- Love Explosion Check this song if you're really into dub reggae. The female vocals are awesome.
THE HEAVYMANNERS -- Breath for SPEAKER
Last edited by soultron; 01-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Wired All Wrong
Member
(01-31-2012, 11:32 PM)
Wired All Wrong's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

If you're into Japanese ska, BAGHDAD CAFE THE Trenchtown is an easy recommendation to make. They're more reggae than anything though. But they're so easy to love. Unlike TSPO, there's a language barrier involved, unfortunately. I don't think they're very active these days, either, unfortunately. It's also really expensive to import their stuff. I'd die if I could find a way to easily afford one of their albums.

I like that. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not all that familiar with the Japanese ska scene, but I did notice it's hard purchase stuff like TSPO or Kemuri without spending a ton of money. I wish their stuff would be available digitally in the US.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(01-31-2012, 11:40 PM)
soultron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wired All Wrong

I like that. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not all that familiar with the Japanese ska scene, but I did notice it's hard purchase stuff like TSPO or Kemuri without spending a ton of money. I wish their stuff would be available digitally in the US.

Yeah. Last time I checked, it's about $50/album to import Japanese-only releases of really hard to find stuff.
Luixfern
Member
(01-31-2012, 11:43 PM)
Luixfern's Avatar
What you know bout that down south ska?!

http://youtu.be/pHTC4rsEqlg
Beaulieu
Member
(01-31-2012, 11:43 PM)
Beaulieu's Avatar

Originally Posted by tm24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIi88qEH_SA

We have to run through US/UK ska before we move on to TSPO and Ore Ska Band and all that japanese ska

this is amazing.
The Awesomest
Member
(01-31-2012, 11:44 PM)
The Awesomest's Avatar
No one's mentioned The Skatalites?! Come on, people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtESlTKBa4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlLu4uOxzdE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N2TJ...eature=related

More Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsjBv6aZHL0 (Caravan cover, keyboardist goes nuts during solo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1W5HYwSGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtYk...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vEMkvjnAfo(featuring that one amazing jazz piano lady)
Last edited by The Awesomest; 01-31-2012 at 11:51 PM.
milanbaros
Member?
(01-31-2012, 11:55 PM)
milanbaros's Avatar
Birmingham ska is best ska.
Xun
Member
(01-31-2012, 11:57 PM)
Xun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Machine

I liked The English Beat and Madness back in the 80s. The Specials were pretty popular too. Other than that, I've never really gotten into ska.

Speaking of Madness I knew the drummer back in school!

He used to teach at my school.
parrotbeak
Member
(02-01-2012, 12:01 AM)
parrotbeak's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

More Japanese reggae:
Dry & Heavy -- Love Explosion Check this song if you're really into dub reggae. The female vocals are awesome.
THE HEAVYMANNERS -- Breath for SPEAKER

Oh ya, I love Likkle Mai and Dry & Heavy. Some amazing stuff.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(02-01-2012, 12:35 AM)
soultron's Avatar
For fans of The Aggrolites, meet The Bullets.

Thread Tools