• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

kehs
Banned
(02-01-2012, 12:37 AM)
Might as well just turn this into a Mighty Mighty Bosstones appreciation thread.
Johnas
(02-01-2012, 12:41 AM)
NM
Dragoon En Regalia
(02-01-2012, 12:48 AM)
Well, I didn't ask for all of the Japanese reggae recommendations at all, but here's Jungle Boogie from SkaPara. Cleanhead Gimura and Asa-Chang at their finest, plus early rampant bari sax solo!
apocalidiot
(02-01-2012, 12:52 AM)
I'm wearing my Operation Ivy shirt right now as good juju... Jesse Michael's new band Classics of Love shipped out their new album and I'm hoping I get mine today.. although I doubt its going to happen. Anyway...

yukonrye
(02-01-2012, 12:54 AM)
ctrl + F, "hepcat"

nothing. Really?
FloppyDelux
(02-01-2012, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Bentles

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Impression That I Get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2oTp3mBm1w

Heard it in Digimon the movie xD. I love this song. It's got a summery vibe to it.

Time to listen to some of these and see if I like anything else in this genre.

i found the oundtrack last night and listed to it on the way to school so awsome..

As for ska i listen to :
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Aquabats
less then jake
catch 22
reel big fish
Mighty Mighyt bosstones

but not really into ska now adays
Last edited by FloppyDelux; 02-01-2012 at 12:57 AM.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(02-01-2012, 12:56 AM)

Originally Posted by yukonrye

ctrl + F, "hepcat"

nothing. Really?

People don't really think of contemporary tradska when the genre gets brought up.

See above.
Last edited by soultron; 02-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Chris R
(02-01-2012, 12:58 AM)
Loved the ska tracks on various video game soundtracks (like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/2/3/ect)

Guess I should look for a good album to pick up next month from Amazon (if they have one for $5).
Wired All Wrong
(02-01-2012, 12:59 AM)

ctrl + F, "hepcat"

nothing. Really?

Nigel.
So Good.
Right On Time is one of the best ska albums ever made.

Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/album/29w16Lj8AgN4O4CJ2FtvB6
Last edited by Wired All Wrong; 02-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Erekiddo
(02-01-2012, 12:59 AM)
People, people!

The Planet Smashers:

Hey Hey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7dA8-pRFKU

Surfin' In Tofino:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX-J-VrYeWY

Fabricated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_2U8l2hUFg

You can thank me later.
desertdroog
(02-01-2012, 01:04 AM)
Hepcat
The Slackers
Aggrolites
Mobtown
English Beat
The Zodiacs
The Upsetters
Toots and the Maytals
Stubborn Allstars
Dr. Ring Ding
Laurel Aitken
Derrick Morgan
The Skatalites
Derrick Morgan
Desmond Dekker
Babba Brooks
Don Drummond
Justin Hinds & the Dominoes
Alton Ellis
Tommy McCook
The Clarendonians
John Holt
Lee "Scratch" Perry

I am partial to Rocksteady, due to the more relaxed down beat and less bright horns. If you saw a ska show in Phoenix, Az between 1997 and 2006 it was me or one other guy putting on shows. I seemed to bring the Slackers every year and we would collaborate on getting the Skatalites to play, even before McCook and Alphonso passed.

Love the music, not a fan of third wave, unless it is bands like Hepcat, The Slackers and Aggrolites. The punk-ska was perfected by OpIv, imho and even then I like them more for their punk.
Erekiddo
(02-01-2012, 01:06 AM)
Alsoooo ..

The Toasters

2 Tone Army:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bHUADv7vk

90's Nickelodeon kids should recognize the song.
apocalidiot
(02-01-2012, 01:07 AM)
All in favor of a collaborative ska playlist on Spotify say aye
Typographenia
(02-01-2012, 01:09 AM)

Originally Posted by NeoNess

People, people!

The Planet Smashers:

My man!

Planet Smashers - Holiday
Planet Smashers - No Self Control

Those are my two favorites by them.

If anyone cares, you should check out "Cat Man." It's an older flash series from japan that uses music from the Planet Smashers.

Don't know how easy it is to find nowadays, but definitely worth watching.
CielTynave
(02-01-2012, 01:09 AM)

Originally Posted by The Awesomest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vEMkvjnAfo(featuring that one amazing jazz piano lady)

Good God, this is glorious.
yukonrye
(02-01-2012, 01:15 AM)

Originally Posted by soultron

People don't really think of contemporary tradska when the genre gets brought up.

Yeah it's kind of a shame, but I love me some ska-punk too. Like one dude said earlier in the thread, there was a point in my life where all I listened to was ska/punk. I would sometimes drive two hours to another city to pick up albums. I still regularly listen to Hepcat, Desmond Dekker, and The Specials. All my other past favorite bands just don't resonate with me anymore.

Some of my favorite tracks:
Hepcat - "Earthquake and Fire": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0UNK4VVbwU

Desmond Dekker - "Unity": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQjI0xFmxQ

Originally Posted by desertdroog

I am partial to Rocksteady, due to the more relaxed down beat and less bright horns. If you saw a ska show in Phoenix, Az between 1997 and 2006 it was me or one other guy putting on shows. I seemed to bring the Slackers every year and we would collaborate on getting the Skatalites to play, even before McCook and Alphonso passed.

Love the music, not a fan of third wave, unless it is bands like Hepcat, The Slackers and Aggrolites. The punk-ska was perfected by OpIv, imho and even then I like them more for their punk.

Bro-fist. I once drove ~7 hours on a whim to Atlanta to see the Skatalites play. I nearly died on the way home from falling asleep at the wheel.
Last edited by yukonrye; 02-01-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Chaser
(02-01-2012, 01:21 AM)
Streetlight Manifesto and Catch 22 have already gotten mentions, so I'll recommend their singer's old side project, Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution.
Probably doesn't even count as ska or punk, but it is related and it is awesome:

It's a Wonderful Life
Last edited by Chaser; 02-01-2012 at 01:24 AM.
desertdroog
(02-01-2012, 01:24 AM)
I'm trying to think who appeared in the Third Wave that wasn't bouncy pop punk.

Outside of the aforementioned Slackers, Hepcat and Mobtown, there weren't many with any staying power outside of an album if any.

Stubborn Records made the in-roads King Django did with the New York sound through collaborations at Version City with Victor Rice, DJ Mush-1 and Crazy Baldhead who were about the only carriers of the traditional ska flame. (before Europe did a switcharoo by sending us their Psychobilly music and took up the mantle of traditional ska) The supergroups formed, which exist on Stubborn Records, contain members of bands from the Toasters, Skatalites, Slackers, Rancid, you name it, if they were touring back then, more than likely Jeff Baker had them in the studio and laid down some collaborative tracks.

The Aggrolites get props from actual Jamaican artists, Hepcat and the Slackers also get any sort of recognition as Jamaica's view is that most ska is crap if it isn't done by the originators. Not my opinion, just what I have gathered over the years through various interviews both read and conducted by bands traveling through town.

The Toasters are to be commended as a result of bridging the tail end of the Two-Tone era to the Third Wave, and definitely for breathing new life into the scene through Moon-Ska Records, later to be devolved into Monolith. Skanic out of San Diego was a pretty awesome Two-Tone styled Third Wave act, which set them apart when everyone was trying to do pop-punk stuff. See-Spot was another traditional styled band out of the Third Wave, but unless you lived in L.A. or near the West Coast OR you were a hard core enthusiast, you might have missed them. Skavoovie and the Epitones bridged the Third Wave with some Jazz and Big Band way before the Cherry Popping daddies could agree to a specific sound they wanted to produce.

Bro-fist. I once drove ~7 hours on a whim to Atlanta to see the Skatalites play. I nearly died on the way home from falling asleep at the wheel.

Respect.
Last edited by desertdroog; 02-01-2012 at 01:27 AM.
desertdroog
(02-01-2012, 01:34 AM)
It should be mentioned that some bands went the other way and mixed Oi with Ska, the most notable was the Skoidats out of Missoula, Mt (of all places) and Inspecter 7 out of New Jersey (where my username is derived from, looong story). Bombtown, also followed suit, they are East Coasters.

Justin Dillavou, frontman for the Skoidats, attended the Music conservatory out here in Mesa, Az. and was doing some fantastic Dub and Dancehall mixes. Last I heard he got a job in L.A. doing sound engineering. We lost touch, obviously. However, if you catch the one or two songs he did on this second Skoidats album and a few songs at Version City with Django, you can really get a feel for the late 60's rocksteady sound he was channeling.

Also to be recognized is "Venice Shoreline" Chris Murray, of the Canadian band the Kingpins. He moved to L.A. and started a solo act, which he excels at and is worth listening to. He fosters the Bluebeat sound, which is essentially the evolution of Rocksteady as it came to the U.K. shores.
Platy
(02-01-2012, 01:39 AM)
Ska is the happiest music genre to me ... even a The Cure's Lullaby ska cover would make me smile =3

edit :

Originally Posted by Typographenia

My man!

If anyone cares, you should check out "Cat Man." It's an older flash series from japan that uses music from the Planet Smashers.

Don't know how easy it is to find nowadays, but definitely worth watching.

What is those orientals with cats and ska ?
This old korean series also uses ska
Last edited by Platy; 02-01-2012 at 01:44 AM.
desertdroog
(02-01-2012, 01:42 AM)
All Third wave acts, by the way, follow:

Chris Murray - http://chrismurray.net/
Rocksteady
Ex-Darling

Victor Rice
Dub Mix

See Spot
Robbery

Donkey Show - San Diego (Dave Hillyard, saxaphonist for The Slackers cut his teeth here wayyy back in the late 80s) Two-Tone style
Mister Brown

Hepcat
Hooligans
Bobby and Joe

Bim Skala Bim - another unique band like the Toasters which came out of the end of the Two-Tone era and forged on through the Third Wave
I took a Fall

Toasters
Dub 56

Scofflaws - NYC
Night Train
Time of the Season

The Arsenals Band from Eastern Canada that remind me of a mixup of Two-Tone and Fishbone.
Beer

Skoidats
Oi, when the rain comes <- not what you would expect by the name, give it a listen
Skoidats + Inspecter 7 collaboration
Night of the Droogs

Stubborn Allstars - King Django with one of his super groups - http://www.stubbornrecords.com/
Tin Spam
Tired of Strugglin

The Slackers - http://www.theslackers.com/ (focus on Rocksteady, dub and their own version of NY Soul)
Have the Time
Married Girl

Let's Go Bowling - L.A.
Spy Market

Inciters - San Francisco group specializing in Northern Soul
Manifesto

The Aggrolites <- focus on early Reggae - http://www.aggroreggae.com/
Faster Bullet
Mr. Misery

Dr. Ring Ding - German Dancehall Skatter DJ
My Sound
Call Di Doctor

Skavoovie & the Epitones
Blood Red Sky

Blue Beat Players
Bank Robber

The Pietasters - Third Wave Two-Tone edge and Soul (trivia: this band had a standing feud with Goldfinger, to which Goldfinger never countered when being called out)
Out all night
Girl Take it Easy
Something Better

The Pacers - Millwaukee - Two-Tone with a bit of a faster edge
Hasenpfeffer

Straight outta my hometown here in Phoenix My homies.
Kongo Shock
Mokska Medicine
Ska vs. Spy

From Tucson
Dave's Big Deluxe
Fat
Murder Ska
Last edited by desertdroog; 02-01-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: I am going to keep adding to this list until I get tired or run out of bands to find on youtube.
Typographenia
(02-01-2012, 02:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Platy

What is those orientals with cats and ska ?
This old korean series also uses ska

Oh man, I remember There She Is. Isn't there like four of them or something now?
Takes me back to the days when I was first finding sites like newgrounds and other flash sites.

Here's a music video done for the Planet Smashers using CatMan - Blind.
Platy
(02-01-2012, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Typographenia

Oh man, I remember There She Is. Isn't there like four of them or something now?
Takes me back to the days when I was first finding sites like newgrounds and other flash sites.

Here's a music video done for the Planet Smashers using CatMan - Blind.

Yes .. only saw that now too.... and be careful, the last ones gets into some deep territory ='|
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(02-01-2012, 02:29 AM)
Anyone remember The Hippos?

Far Behind
astroturfing
(02-01-2012, 02:31 AM)
what, no mention of Sublime? they were at least ska-ish, right?

used to love their hit songs on MTV back when i was a kid. "What I Got" and "Wrong Way" were awesome.
The Awesomest
(02-01-2012, 02:35 AM)

Originally Posted by rhfb

Loved the ska tracks on various video game soundtracks (like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/2/3/ect)

Guess I should look for a good album to pick up next month from Amazon (if they have one for $5).

Ah, that reminds me!

Rhythm Heaven DS - Munchy Monk 2

Incredible Crisis for PS1 - TSPO did the entire soundtrack to this game. I think they also did something for Sly Cooper.

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

Five Iron Frenzy are life.

Five Iron is stupid and you are if you like them also, too.

favorite band since my elementary school days <3

They're coming back alive!!
Last edited by The Awesomest; 02-01-2012 at 02:41 AM.
2Crisis
(02-01-2012, 03:00 AM)
Gonna get a bit foreign up in here with some probably lesser known bands.

Kemuri came out of Japan in the 90s. Very upbeat songs with some good messages. Fun stuff. Very good live band.

Kemuri - Ato Ichinen Live
Kemuri - Positive Mental Attitude Live

Ska-p is a Spanish ska-punk band also from the 90s. Most of their songs are pretty politically heavy.

Ska-P - Cannabis
Ska-P - El Gato López Live
yukonrye
(02-01-2012, 03:37 AM)
Oh man I forgot about King Chango. Great latin ska.

"Melting Pot"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIhuVfGnDI

"So Sweet"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vBjUV8fkDQ
AcridMeat
(02-01-2012, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by soultron

Ska is my favourite genre of music. As well as reggae.

The Slackers are my favourite band of all time.

Subscribed for later posting since I'm at work.

DUUUUUUUUDE

I'm glad to see The Slackers are well represented here. I've seen them about once every year for the last 3 or 4, they're back again in SF in February so will probably see them again! They put on a great, fun show. Always enjoyed it in a different way too.

Loved ska primarily in middle school and high school. Bosstones, Catch 22/Streetlight, Mustard Plug, Suicide Machines, Reel Big Fish (this was early middle school), Operation Ivy, The Planet Smashers, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra. All I can think of at the moment.
Last edited by AcridMeat; 02-01-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Lactose_Intolerant
(02-01-2012, 06:09 AM)
Johnny Socko
If I didn't have a goiter
Orayn
(02-01-2012, 06:11 AM)
Unstoppable - Planet Smashers

I recall getting some of their songs, including this one, on eMusic a few years ago when I had some free downloads.
Dicer
Banned
(02-01-2012, 06:11 AM)
Gonna toss in some AQUABATS for comedic flavor.

Super RAD!!!
Orayn
(02-01-2012, 06:14 AM)
Deserves its own post:

Five Iron Frenzy RETURNS!!

WHY IN THE BLINKING HECK WAS I NOT INFORMED ABOUT THIS!?
The Broken Ska Record
(02-01-2012, 06:26 AM)
"Pick It Up" from Yo Gabba Gabba!: So very awesome.

Also, I'm a fan of Skankin' Pickle. In fact, I should listen to some tonight.
totowhoa
(02-01-2012, 06:27 AM)
My old ska band's song called Listen to Ska!

Originally Posted by Orayn

Deserves its own post:

Five Iron Frenzy RETURNS!!

WHY IN THE BLINKING HECK WAS I NOT INFORMED ABOUT THIS!?

Not getting my hopes up after the last two albums, but I'll still buy it anyway
Azar
(02-01-2012, 06:35 AM)

Originally Posted by AcridMeat

DUUUUUUUUDE
I'm glad to see The Slackers are well represented here. I've seen them about once every year for the last 3 or 4, they're back again in SF in February so will probably see them again! They put on a great, fun show. Always enjoyed it in a different way too.

Hm, I might have to go to this.

Goldfinger's Superman really embodies everything ska is about to me. Not that it's the best ska song ever, but it's a wonderfully catchy and upbeat third-wave song. I also have sentimental attachment to it from my high school days, though ironically I never played Tony Hawk, which is where literally everyone knows it from.

In terms of more modern ska, I think Mad Caddies' Keep It Going might be my overall favorite album. They have a fantastic sound that juggles pop punk, rock and reggae bizarrely well. So damn good.
totowhoa
(02-01-2012, 06:37 AM)
Also, Arrogant Sons of Bitches are fucking amazing. Did anybody listen to their live Radiohead covers? Arguably not as good as their real recordings, but I fuckin love it.

No Surprises

Fake Plastic Trees

Paranoid Android
Soka
(02-01-2012, 06:39 AM)
Sorry for being off-topic, but every time I see this thread title I think it reads "Let's listen to Soka"
Fjordson
(02-01-2012, 06:43 AM)
Really not a fan of more recent ska, especially the American stuff. All just ends up sounding like 90's pop-punk to me. Golden age Jamaican or bust.

I'm In the Mood For Ska

Over the River

Get Up Edina

Man, Desmond Dekker was the shit.
Last edited by Fjordson; 02-01-2012 at 06:45 AM.
AcridMeat
(02-01-2012, 07:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Azar

In terms of more modern ska, I think Mad Caddies' Keep It Going might be my overall favorite album. They have a fantastic sound that juggles pop punk, rock and reggae bizarrely well. So damn good.

February 11th. YEEEAAAAAAAAAH

Mad Caddies are good too.
soultron
I will snowboard
into a PRISON
(02-01-2012, 08:11 AM)
Thank goodness Chris Murray was mentioned. Switchblade to Soul is such a great track, even better on his solo acoustic tapes.

I met the guy once, but couldn't stay for his set, and he gave me a bunch of these huge "One Man Ska Band" stickers. I still have one plastered on the lid of the laptop I'm typing this on right now. c:

Such a nice guy.
cdyhybrid
(02-01-2012, 08:29 AM)
Grew up listening more to reggae, but I heard ska on the alternative radio stations occasionally. Just listened to The Science of Selling Yourself Short by Less Than Jake on Youtube and it brought back a warm wave of nostalgia. Good stuff. Will monitor this thread.
dvdjamm
(02-01-2012, 08:45 AM)
Bad Manners!

Lip Up Fatty - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6fQnTyEniM

My Girl Lollipop - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_N1qQZL550

Skinhead Girl - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elUE3...eature=related
Tony Rocky Horror
(02-01-2012, 09:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Cheebo

Greatest ska band there ever was and ever will be:

This'll probably really show my ignorance for Ska, but I saw these guys last weekend. Thought they were great, but I never realized how big they are/were!
twofold
(02-01-2012, 09:14 AM)
Best Ska Band no-one has ever heard of - Lightyear.

7 piece from Derby, England that were arguably the best live band I've ever seen (and probably my favourite Ska band, too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuAU6y79cs
cajunator
Banned
(02-01-2012, 09:35 AM)
This thread makes me happy
Wired All Wrong
(02-01-2012, 05:20 PM)
The Toasters are on a tour right now. Definitely check them out if you get a chance. Here's the rest of the tour dates.

Feb 01 Red Fox Tavern Eureka, CA
Feb 02 Plan B Portland, OR
Feb 03 Iron Road Studios Vancouver, Canada
Feb 04 El Corazon Seattle, WA
Feb 05 Shredder Boise, ID
Feb 06 Burt's Tiki Lounge Salt Lake City, UT
Feb 07 The Beacon Club Casper, WY
Feb 08 Black Sheep Colorado Springs, CO
Feb 09 Marquis Theatre Denver, CO
Feb 10 Knickerbockers Lincoln, NE
Feb 11 Triple Rock Social Club Minneapolis, MN
Feb 12 Otto's Dekalb, IL
Feb 13 The Firebird St Louis, MO
Feb 14 The 86 Club Cincinnati, OH
Feb 15 Frankie's Toledo, OH
Feb 16 The Strutt Kalamazoo, MI
Feb 17 Redstone Room @ River Music Experience Davenport, IA
Feb 18 Punk Rock Night @ the Melody Inn Indianapolis, IN
Feb 19 123 Pleasant Street Morgantown, WV
Feb 20 ELEANOR RIGBY'S Jermyn, PA
Feb 21 Dub Land Underground Rochester, NY
Feb 22 Club Cafe Pittsburgh, PA
Feb 23 Stanhope House Stanhope, NJ
Feb 24 The Haunt Ithaca, NY
Feb 25 Dover Brickhouse Dover, NH
Feb 26 Providence Social Club Providence, RI (venue change, now UPSTAIRS)