• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

chrominance
Member
(05-16-2017, 12:07 AM)
chrominance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Thank you Kansoku and Kurita! I did appreciate both your lists :)
I just didn't get a response from most of the regulars.

I dunno if I count as a regular, but for my part I actually had a hard time coming up with a list. Feels like most of the people I used to be into, I'm much less so now (daoko, Passepied, Gesu, Capsule) or else the artist is no longer active (Especia RIP). At this point, my list is basically:

tricot
iri
a bunch of OMAKE CLUB stuff: Tokyo Health Club, MCpero, Yosa
Chelmico

I fall in and out of love with Suiyoubi no Campanella, but they could still make the list; SUPERMAN was pretty good. But that's kind of it for the moment. I'll probably find people to fill the list again, but it's a bit of a dry period for me and Japanese music, and lately I've been catching up on western music again.
Ryuukan
Member
(05-16-2017, 12:16 AM)
Ryuukan's Avatar
sorry heres my list:

1. moumoon
2. tricot
3. charisma.com
4-10. kurita bands
Infinite
Member
(05-16-2017, 01:37 AM)
Infinite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Who are everyone's favorite active artists/bands?

people I like right now are

tricot
otoboke beaver
zombie-chang
carpainter
seiko oomori
maho littlebear
mitsume
lolica tonica
kosmo kat
Sayoko Daisy
Chai
Slowdive
Member
(05-16-2017, 04:13 AM)
Slowdive's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Who are everyone's favorite active artists/bands?

Seiko Oomori
Jun Togawa
YMO (technically still active, still hoping for one more album)
Shiina Ringo, though she hasn't released anything decent in a while.
Susumu Hirasawa
Soutaiseiriron
Hatis Noit
Zombie-chang
Suiyoubi no Campanella
Sakanaction
Boris
Metafive
Tricot
Ventla (though he hasn't been on social media since 2015 and the label that released his last album hasn't been able to contact him, I'm honestly really worried about him.)
Tentenko
Koto
Co shu nie
Tricot
Inshouha
Chelmico
Mcpero
Infinite
Member
(05-16-2017, 04:44 AM)
Infinite's Avatar
My dude listed Tricot like 3 times
Wulfric
Member
(05-16-2017, 06:59 AM)
Wulfric's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Who are everyone's favorite active artists/bands?

Koda Kumi
Namie Amuro
Perfume
Crystal Kay
Daoko
Wednesday Campanella
Mika Nakashima
Twice

i'm so basic lol
stump sock
Zowie! It's Yaoi
(05-16-2017, 01:29 PM)
stump sock's Avatar
Kindan no Tasuketsu
Endon
Tentenko
Shonen ga Milk
Oomori Seiko
VMO
Vampillia
BiSH
Yanakoto Sotto Mute
Guso Drop
Koutei Camera Gal
Boris
Yukueshirezutsurezure
Screaming Sixties
Have a Nice Day!
Inshouha
world's end girlfriend
・・・・・・・・・
LLLL
sora tob sakana
PillarEN
Member
(05-16-2017, 01:35 PM)
PillarEN's Avatar
I'm a boring listener as well

The Pillows
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
80Kidz
Capsule
Perfume
Melt-Banana
Sheena Ringo
Nujabes (oops. Not active. sadly)
DJ Krush
Ryuichi Sakamoto
Afrirampo
Hikaru Utada
Ayumi Hamasaki (This is actually specifically an unhealthy obsession with her album Loveppears. I don't care about anything else of hers)
Puffy AmiYumi (casual fan who is mostly familiar with what Pandora Radio fed me back in the day)
I won't bother posting VGM composers.

On a side note whoever left that link to the song I'm Humanity by Etsuko Yakushimaru. Thank you. I'm now obsessed with her song Otomesensou. I can't comprehend it. It's just so good. I'm trying to understand.

EDIT: I forgot the band Toe. Saw them in Chicago two summers ago. I was very impressed.
Last edited by PillarEN; 05-16-2017 at 02:51 PM.
llehuty
Member
(05-16-2017, 01:41 PM)
llehuty's Avatar
My exclusive top 10 list.

Perfume
Capsule
Suiyoubi no Campanella
Charisma .com
FEMM
Faint Star
E-girls (and subunits)
Namie Amuro
Keyakizaka46
Tokyo Girls Style

Kind of one note, lol
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(05-16-2017, 01:43 PM)
Jintor's Avatar
i'm a fucking baby
  1. charisma dot com
  2. kero kero bonito
  3. Kinoko Teikoku
  4. Polkadot Stingray
  5. radwimpz
  6. perfume
  7. shishamo
  8. Doll$boxx

non-active:
supercar?
genki rockets


i have to steal more artists from you wankers
Kurita
Member
(05-16-2017, 01:43 PM)
Kurita's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryuukan

sorry heres my list:

1. moumoon
2. tricot
3. charisma.com
4-10. kurita bands

LayLa
Member
(05-16-2017, 01:54 PM)
LayLa's Avatar
things I actually listen to on the reg

3776
Maison Book Girl
Koutei Camera Gal
BiSH
Necronomidol (some)
Perfume
Tentenko
YMM (some)


old things I've been listening to a lot recently

Picky Picnic
Guernica
Phew
the "Soft Selection 84" LP, someone needs to reissue that ffs
stump sock
Zowie! It's Yaoi
(05-16-2017, 02:11 PM)
stump sock's Avatar

Originally Posted by LayLa

Necronomidol (some)
YMM (some)

yeah this is accurate
ladyluthien
Member
(05-16-2017, 02:49 PM)
ladyluthien's Avatar
My favorites that are currently releasing music include:

Namie Amuro
CreepyNuts
Keytalk
Man With a Mission
Koda Kumi
Sarah Alainn
Funkist
Superfly
Mika Nakashima
Akai Ko-en
Kana-boon
Jero
Shonan no Kaze
Kyuso Nekokami

I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch but this is what I can remember from the top of my head!
Slowdive
Member
(05-16-2017, 03:11 PM)
Slowdive's Avatar
Don't know how I forgot BiSH and Koutei Cameral Gal.

Originally Posted by LayLa

Picky Picnic

One of my favourite bands, good to see someone else here listens to them.


Monari Wakita album out July 26th, includes a track produced by Baku Baku Dokin's Yui.

NANA KITADE - Just A Day
stump sock
Zowie! It's Yaoi
(05-16-2017, 04:01 PM)
stump sock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slowdive

NANA KITADE - Just A Day

Don't know what her end goal with this is, but if she's making a stab for a larger/global audience, I don't think it's working.

北出菜奈 NANA KITADE - Make-Believe
10,073 views 2 weeks ago

--

Sawa - Lettuce

at least she's wondering the same thing I am - "なんでこれ作ったのかな"
taopriest
Junior Member
(05-16-2017, 07:18 PM)
taopriest's Avatar
Already a new single release by 9mm Parabellum Bullet on 2017.6.7 and i didn't even listend to their new album yet.

(PV) 9mm Parabellum Bullet - Sacrifice (Full Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVNy1p3CrVM
taopriest
Junior Member
(05-16-2017, 07:37 PM)
taopriest's Avatar
My favorite artists list seems a bit outdated but i'm always open to give "newer" artists a chance. If POLKADOT STINGRAY still delivers the next months they will join my list for sure. Some of the kurita bands "genre" maybe also. ^_^

9mm Parabellum Bullet
sakanaction
Sambomaster
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
The Cro-Magnons
SPECIAL OTHERS
STRAIGHTENER
ACIDMAN
MONGOL800
10-FEET
CAPSULE
POLYSICS
Perfume
Sakura Fujiwara
Leo Ieiri
moumoon
Nor501
Junior Member
(05-16-2017, 08:32 PM)
Nor501's Avatar

Originally Posted by taopriest

Already a new single release by 9mm Parabellum Bullet on 2017.6.7 and i didn't even listend to their new album yet.

(PV) 9mm Parabellum Bullet - Sacrifice (Full Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVNy1p3CrVM

I was really surprised about this so soon after the new album. The new song is great and I'm loving it.
Kansoku
(05-16-2017, 08:43 PM)
Kansoku's Avatar
I will only consider Sakanaction active when they announce an album ffs. It feels like every week I hear something about SAKANAQUARIUM or them showing up somewhere , but not the goddamn album. You already have half an album with all these singles :<
Slowdive
Member
(05-16-2017, 11:37 PM)
Slowdive's Avatar
New tricot album stream.
Kurita
Member
(05-16-2017, 11:47 PM)
Kurita's Avatar

Originally Posted by taopriest

Already a new single release by 9mm Parabellum Bullet on 2017.6.7 and i didn't even listend to their new album yet.

(PV) 9mm Parabellum Bullet - Sacrifice (Full Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVNy1p3CrVM

They announced it before the album got released actually
daydream
Member
(05-17-2017, 12:13 AM)
daydream's Avatar
off the top of my head:

suiyoubi no campanella
inshouha
vivid undress
izumi macra
lovely summer-chan
ayano kaneko
charisma dot com
lamp
polkadot stingray
iromegane
koto
maron hamada
bomi
yosa
megumi wata (hoping she's still alive)
FloppyDelux
Member
(05-17-2017, 03:27 AM)
FloppyDelux's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

I always forget that you're the only other person in here that doesn't seem to hate Visual Kei. Haha

Yep. Vk is awesome
ChryZ
Member
(05-17-2017, 08:00 AM)
ChryZ's Avatar
I love:

Perfume
Capsule
Shiina Ringo / Tokyo Jihen
Akira Yamaoka
Ryuichi Sakamoto
Takkyu Ishino
Ryogo Yamamori
Makoto
Ken Ishii
Halcali

I really love a few selected songs from these:

Tsukiko Amano
Dempagumi.Inc
BABYMETAL
Boom Boom Satellites
Beat Crusaders
KPP
mamoniadas
Junior Member
(05-17-2017, 08:22 AM)
mamoniadas's Avatar
Why not (in no order)
KOTO
Rinatic State
Futon. (inactive ?)
Perfume
Yuc'e
Pellycolo
Megumi Wata
Brinq
Satellite Young
Yunomi
nyanyanga poo
trekkie trax
Masayoshi iimori
Happy Kurukuru
Monari Wakita
Wednesday No Campanella
Dance for philosophy
didn't list any punk but also punk stuff, otherwise electronic, pop, and any sorta happy melodic stuff.
Doberu
Junior Member
(05-17-2017, 08:31 AM)
Doberu's Avatar
My favorite.
Dir En Grey
MUCC
X Japan
Sukekiyo
The Gazette
FEMM

I always find it pretty hard to find bands with similar sound to these.
Aizo
音楽オタク
(05-17-2017, 02:00 PM)
Aizo's Avatar
Had to go across town tonight to pick up my special edition tricot album. Hope it was worth it.
Edit:
Beautiful songs. Beautiful package.

I also have a jigsaw puzzle. I'm guessing the unlabeled package is... glue to make the jigsaw permanent? I don't want to open it just in case.
Last edited by Aizo; 05-17-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Fall Into The GAF
Member
(05-17-2017, 09:15 PM)
Fall Into The GAF's Avatar
My (short) filthy casual list:

Perfume (GOAT, fight me.)
Kinoko Teikoku
Polkadot Stingray
Dollsboxx
Maximum The Hormone
taopriest
Junior Member
(05-18-2017, 07:16 PM)
taopriest's Avatar
I will add THE PATS PATS to my newcomer list. Never heard of them before. Some world pop genre here.

THE PATS PATS 「A.A.A」
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-4IWBiSSU



http://the-pats-pats.tumblr.com/
SolidSnakex
Member
(05-19-2017, 08:39 AM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar
MONDO GROSSO collaborrated with Nogi's Ashuurin on their new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcGp7SIpKA

They actually released another version of the PV a few weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ysBw2sipk

But no one knew it was her until yesterday when they announced that she was the mystery singer. The song is really good and very different from anything Nogi has done or probably ever will do.
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(05-19-2017, 08:47 AM)
karasu's Avatar
I've been out of the Japanese music scene for years. Are there any current recommendations in the vein of Thee Michelle Gun Elephant or maybe Art-School?
Kurita
Member
(05-19-2017, 05:20 PM)
Kurita's Avatar

Originally Posted by karasu

I've been out of the Japanese music scene for years. Are there any current recommendations in the vein of Thee Michelle Gun Elephant or maybe Art-School?

Well an easy cop out would be recommending The Birthday, formed by the vocalist and the drummer of Thee Michelle Gun Elephant. They already have 9 albums out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YDs2LGOl6M

Six Lounge is pretty much the young band to follow if you're into garage-ish sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MB9H5HFzXo

Large House Satisfaction are also pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzgDqi9tfI

Village Man's Store
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdC6NIa8XI

Maybe some Yellow Studs too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wLnNIcU-k

Then we have killing Boy, a band formed by ART-SCHOOL's vocalist and Hidekazu Hinata from Straightener/Nothing's Carved In Stone (he was also part of ART-SCHOOL for a couple of years back when they started. They aren't really active though, just two albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8To9SmtXc
ART-SCHOOL are still releasing new material so you can definitely check what they released the last few years.

You might enjoy PELICAN FANCLUB, who give me strong "early ART-SCHOOL" vibes at times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86idQWINUZA

THE NOVEMBERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdqT5ud6kt4

A bit different, but indigo la End kinda scratches the ART-SCHOOL itch with some of their songs (and they're just one of the best bands around today so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99DIdczzy2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PadOTWkZjcQ
Last edited by Kurita; 05-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.
AdamT
Junior Member
(05-19-2017, 07:20 PM)
AdamT's Avatar
Still waiting on the Tricot vinyl 3 Package Deal Topshelf Records is selling to ship. Didn't realize it wasn't a release day shipment. Luckily, they give you a digital copy with the order and it's on Spotify.
karasu
Likes his fat guys jiggly
(05-19-2017, 09:26 PM)
karasu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kurita

Well an easy cop out would be recommending The Birthday, formed by the vocalist and the drummer of Thee Michelle Gun Elephant. They already have 9 albums out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YDs2LGOl6M

Six Lounge is pretty much the young band to follow if you're into garage-ish sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MB9H5HFzXo

Large House Satisfaction are also pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzgDqi9tfI

Village Man's Store
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdC6NIa8XI

Maybe some Yellow Studs too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wLnNIcU-k

Then we have killing Boy, a band formed by ART-SCHOOL's vocalist and Hidekazu Hinata from Straightener/Nothing's Carved In Stone (he was also part of ART-SCHOOL for a couple of years back when they started. They aren't really active though, just two albums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx8To9SmtXc
ART-SCHOOL are still releasing new material so you can definitely check what they released the last few years.

You might enjoy PELICAN FANCLUB, who give me strong "early ART-SCHOOL" vibes at times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86idQWINUZA

THE NOVEMBERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdqT5ud6kt4

A bit different, but indigo la End kinda scratches the ART-SCHOOL itch with some of their songs (and they're just one of the best bands around today so)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99DIdczzy2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PadOTWkZjcQ

Yes! I appreciate the list I'll dig into it tonight. I'm so surprised Art School is still around.
Kansoku
(05-20-2017, 12:17 AM)
Kansoku's Avatar
Trailer for toconoma's next album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwfo8FV9n0

Pretty nice.
oldmario
Member
(05-20-2017, 01:57 AM)
oldmario's Avatar
is there no where i can buy the YouTube live performances that Moumoon does every so often? i've tried looking and the only live stuff i can find is concert blu-rays
Aizo
音楽オタク
(05-20-2017, 04:38 AM)
Aizo's Avatar
Oh, shit, stump. So you wanted to know if I was seeing joshi wrestling in Osaka today... my friend apparently didn't tell me because he didn't want me to be creeped out. It's an all female league. What have I gotten myself into?

I thought I was seeing new Japan pro or something.
stump sock
Zowie! It's Yaoi
(05-20-2017, 04:45 AM)
stump sock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

What have I gotten myself into?

A FUN TIME
Jintor
Lit himself on fire to get
a mod to tag him
(05-20-2017, 07:53 AM)
Jintor's Avatar
Yeah but is it good
Kurita
Member
(05-20-2017, 08:36 AM)
Kurita's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aizo

Oh, shit, stump. So you wanted to know if I was seeing joshi wrestling in Osaka today... my friend apparently didn't tell me because he didn't want me to be creeped out. It's an all female league. What have I gotten myself into?

I thought I was seeing new Japan pro or something.

STARDOM?
They're pretty dope
stump sock
Zowie! It's Yaoi
(05-20-2017, 06:29 PM)
stump sock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jintor

Yeah but is it good

Irrelevant.
No No Eul
Member
(05-20-2017, 09:59 PM)
No No Eul's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

MONDO GROSSO collaborrated with Nogi's Ashuurin on their new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcGp7SIpKA

They actually released another version of the PV a few weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ysBw2sipk

But no one knew it was her until yesterday when they announced that she was the mystery singer. The song is really good and very different from anything Nogi has done or probably ever will do.

I really like that, and it's a great fit for Asuka. Shame it's just a one-off though. I'd love to see some other Nogi members getting involved in unusual collaborations.
Aizo
音楽オタク
(05-21-2017, 03:36 AM)
Aizo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kurita

STARDOM?
They're pretty dope

Yeah! Have you seen it live? Damn fun. Saw one of the girl's last show in Osaka before she goes to the US for training.
DJChuy
Member
(05-21-2017, 03:39 AM)
DJChuy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rainy

Ayumi Hamasaki is losing hearing in her other ear and is going to be completely deaf soon.

Jesus.

Just read about it a few minutes ago. It's sad she's suffering through this and will be forced to retire at such a young age. My chances of her seeing live are completely gone now.

I still listen to her stuff regularly, and her newer CDs usually have a few songs that I enjoy.
broz0rs
Member
(05-21-2017, 03:40 AM)
broz0rs's Avatar

Originally Posted by No No Eul

I really like that, and it's a great fit for Asuka. Shame it's just a one-off though. I'd love to see some other Nogi members getting involved in unusual collaborations.

I don't follow Nogi that much anymore, but Asuka is the chosen one, correct?

Originally Posted by Aizo

Yeah! Have you seen it live? Damn fun. Saw one of the girl's last show in Osaka before she goes to the US for training.

Kinda crazy that not one, but TWO of their top stars are heading for the US.
PillarEN
Member
(05-21-2017, 04:00 AM)
PillarEN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rainy

Ayumi Hamasaki is losing hearing in her other ear and is going to be completely deaf soon.

Jesus.

What the hell? I knew she had some bad problem with one ear (which apparently has already been deaf), but to go completely deaf in the near future? As a music artist of all things? I don't see how anyone can just play that off in their mental well being. Is this somehow all related to that initial ear infection? Very unfortunate.

Being completely ignorant, how do those devices work that they give children to hear for the first time in their life? Like could that be used or does it work on some different basis than it would for a person who had functioning ear drums?

Thread Tools