• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SF BayGaf : Page 4
Devolution
the fabulous one
(01-30-2013, 02:29 AM)

Originally Posted by NullPointer

A truly surreal scene to come home to. Growing up here I knew the stories and saw his face on milk cartons everywhere, but I had no idea that it went down so close to where I live now. The house they're searching is just across the street and around the corner from where he was last seen. Insane to think about.

For the family's sake I hope they find what they need to.

It makes you wonder how many missing kids are just in someone's backyard. After watching shit about folks like Fred and Rose West I shudder just thinking about it.
Giant Robot
(01-30-2013, 03:34 AM)

Originally Posted by BeardyChan

Hey there's always stuff to find like this gem called Original Gravity

That place left me unimpressed which i had high hopes for :( and is a pain in the ass to park when you just want a good beer. Good Karma right around the corner i think is better if you're in the area.

You should check out Harry's Hofbrau for beer on Saratoga. It's totally unassuming because a bunch of old people eat there for cafeteria style food, but the beer menu there is pretty nuts. They're one of the few places that will be getting Pliny The Younger in the next couple of weeks. A lot of brew reps come out there too and resupply/have brew nights.

Teskes Germania is pretty fun on polka nights, which is almost every night. Good belgian/german beers, good food, great atmosphere. Also right next door to an irish bar called Trials!

Still favorite bar near South Bay/Peninsula is Rose & Crown in downtown Palo Alto.
Last edited by Giant Robot; 01-30-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Devolution
the fabulous one
(01-30-2013, 03:36 AM)
Last time we met up in Berkeley was at Jupiter. That place has the best artichoke and spinach dip. mmm.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(01-30-2013, 03:57 AM)
Party at someone's place!
BaltimoreLarry
(01-30-2013, 04:20 AM)
Superbowl is nearly upon us, and if you're looking for a great Ravens bar in San Francisco, go to Thieves Tavern in the Mission. Any South Bay Ravens fans can come to my house.
wenis
(01-30-2013, 04:38 AM)
Oh god is thieves tavern really supporting the ravens? I love that place :(
BaltimoreLarry
(01-30-2013, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by wenis

Oh god is thieves tavern really supporting the ravens? I love that place :(

There's a transplant Ravens group that call it home every Sunday. Not sure if the bar itself is a Ravens bar, but there were 150+ Ravens fans there last Sunday, and I'm sure more this weekend.
Kabuto
(01-30-2013, 07:31 AM)

Originally Posted by Cornballer

Is this the thread for complaining about 880?

Good to see so many familiar faces here from previous Bay Area meet ups. We should get another one going sometime in the near future.

880 is pretty bad, I don't drive on it often but when I do there's always traffic. I took it so I could get to Valley Fair last week and the line to the Stevens Creek exit went on for miles.
Vilam
Maxis Redwood
(01-30-2013, 10:25 AM)
Mountain View for me. I like the laid back South Bay.

Originally Posted by FelixOrion

As a packers fan that went to packers-49ers game...I felt like I was gonna get mugged or shanked.

Really? I went to the Dolphins game and had a bunch of pleasant interactions with 49ers fans. The only bad part was getting out of the parking lot afterwards took just as long as watching the game.

Originally Posted by Sanky Panky

Perfect timing for this thread! I'll be going to SF for the first time on Sunday. I'll be in the Financial District for some training.

If you all were moving out of the state, what are the three things/places you would eat before you do? I'll do Yelp and Tripadvisor, but nothing like some good GAF advice for foodies.

You're reasonably close to my personal favorite restaurant (if you like Indian food). Try Little Delhi near the Powell St BART. It's a hole in the wall, but so delicious. I doubt they'll draw the Super Bowl crowd there either.

Originally Posted by Acid08

We should get tickets to a Sharks game and go :D

Or baseball when that starts back up, would be cheaper.

Sharks games are always a good time, I'm just generally indifferent about the team. Wish the Panthers came out here to play them more often.
twinfin
(01-30-2013, 10:48 AM)
King of Thai in North Beach is a great place to catch up, watch sports and get cheap beers. Although I can't even imagine how busy it's going to be for the Super Bowl...
Blearth
Banned
(01-30-2013, 10:48 AM)

Originally Posted by SnakeswithLasers

What. When was the Berkeley Shattuck meetup? I freaking live there. =|

I work there!
Toki767
(01-30-2013, 10:54 AM)
You guys should check out YakiniQ in Japantown for really good all you can eat Korean BBQ. Their pork belly is great. I believe they'll also be playing the game on Sunday.
butzopower
proud of his butz
(01-30-2013, 04:51 PM)

Man, camera crews everywhere on my block in the Haight Ashbury today. Guess they're digging in the backyard of one of the houses here hoping to find the body of Kevin Collins, a young boy who went missing about a hundred feet from here in 1984.

Crazy. Helicopters, news trucks, taped off areas and and a mobile police command center.

I live like two blocks from you.
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(01-31-2013, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Vilam

Really? I went to the Dolphins game and had a bunch of pleasant interactions with 49ers fans. The only bad part was getting out of the parking lot afterwards took just as long as watching the game.

Yes, really. Rough crowd. 49ers fans screaming all manner of horrible things at Packer fans, knocking their Cheese Hats off as they're going to their seats, calling them "fudgepackers," punching the seats when the 49ers fucked up. I really didn't feel safe in that stadium in packers gear. Maybe because it was the playoffs or maybe because I'm not used to NFL games (only ever been to one previously Broncos-Eagles in Denver where I was in Bronco gear), since most of the games I ever go to college games and they seem to just generally more polite and I'm used to them. To be fair there were a good handful of very polite 49ers fans that would at most give you a little friendly ribbing, but man they were not the majority.

And yes, FUCK getting out of Candlestick. So bad.
Last edited by FelixOrion; 01-31-2013 at 03:06 AM.
t26
(01-31-2013, 03:14 AM)
Wonder Con would been prefect place to meet up ...
Kambing
(01-31-2013, 03:27 AM)
Some foodie tips, all my opinion of course:

Best Ramen - Sawaii Ramen, 2240 Irving SF. Around $10-13 for a bowl/person. Seriously this shit is the bomb. Best ramen i have ever had, hands down. Get the tonkatsu ramen with extra porkbelly and egg. You will thank me. Also, go lunch time, food seems to taste better haha.

Best Beef - House of Prime Rib, 1906 Van Ness SF. Be ready to spend $40-65 a person, upper limit with inclusion of alchohol. I've had pretty freaking good steak and prime rib at lots of restaurants and this place right here is my favorite. Its really my favorite restaurant now that i think about it. Very simple menu(only prime rib and "catch of the day" which tends to be salmon) with good sides. If you go here get the creamed spinach. Moderate wine selection. Good for those on keto/primal diet, just order two servings of the spinach.

Best Sushi - Sushiholic, 112 Vintage Way Novato. $15-40 a person. Really fresh fish combined with awesome awesome rolls at a good price. The piece of fish they give you, be it sashimi or sushi is just massive. I recommend the hawaiin butterfish, toro, and salmon belly.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 03:30 AM)

Originally Posted by BaltimoreLarry

There's a transplant Ravens group that call it home every Sunday. Not sure if the bar itself is a Ravens bar, but there were 150+ Ravens fans there last Sunday, and I'm sure more this weekend.

Sounds like a haven for degenerates
hyp
(01-31-2013, 03:32 AM)
*peeks head in* SJ born and raised.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 03:34 AM)

Originally Posted by hyp

Where at? I live in South San Jo, right behind Santa Teresa High School. Went to High School there too.
Devolution
the fabulous one
(01-31-2013, 03:37 AM)

Yes, really. Rough crowd. 49ers fans screaming all manner of horrible things at Packer fans, knocking their Cheese Hats off as they're going to their seats, calling them "fudgepackers," punching the seats when the 49ers fucked up. I really didn't feel safe in that stadium in packers gear. Maybe because it was the playoffs or maybe because I'm not used to NFL games (only ever been to one previously Broncos-Eagles in Denver where I was in Bronco gear), since most of the games I ever go to college games and they seem to just generally more polite and I'm used to them. To be fair there were a good handful of very polite 49ers fans that would at most give you a little friendly ribbing, but man they were not the majority.

Try a Raiders game next time.
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(01-31-2013, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Devolution

I can only fucking imagine.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Devolution

A Raider fan threw a cup of beer at me and missed, except that it hit my 9 year old nephew in the face. This was this season in the Steelers/Raiders game...
pigeon
Banned
(01-31-2013, 03:41 AM)

Originally Posted by harSon

A Raider fan threw a cup of beer at me and missed

in the best traditions of the Oakland Raiders.
BaltimoreLarry
(01-31-2013, 03:50 AM)

Where at? I live in South San Jo, right behind Santa Teresa High School. Went to High School there too.

You left SC?
harSon
(01-31-2013, 03:58 AM)

You left SC?

Yeah, I moved back to San Jo in August once my lease ended. I graduated from UCSC in June, but I still have a ton of friends in SC, so I still make my way down there.
BaltimoreLarry
(01-31-2013, 03:59 AM)

Yeah, I moved back to San Jo in August once my lease ended. I graduated from UCSC in June, but I still have a ton of friends in SC, so I still make my way down there.

I still work there; driving 17 everyday sucks.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 04:05 AM)

I still work there; driving 17 everyday sucks.

Yeah man, fuck the 17 haha. I get car sick easily too, so those windy roads fuck me up proper. Where are you commuting from? I knew a couple people who commuted to SC from SJ for school, don't think I could have ever done that...
Acid08
Soap -> Mouth
(01-31-2013, 04:08 AM)

I can only fucking imagine.

You cannot. Walking the barb wire ridden path from Bart to the stadium is another....interesting aspect of the Oakland Raider experience. Oh, and stabbings.
wenis
(01-31-2013, 04:11 AM)
when attending raider games, it's best just to wear all black, cover your face, wear a bulletproof vest (maybe one of those dragon scale ones to prevent stabbings) and carry high grade pepper spray. Shit that could take down an elephant and has a huge ass tank of the stuff.
BaltimoreLarry
(01-31-2013, 04:12 AM)

Yeah man, fuck the 17 haha. I get car sick easily too, so those windy roads fuck me up proper. Where are you commuting from? I knew a couple people who commuted to SC from SJ for school, don't think I could have ever done that...

Morgan Hill to SC. I'm one of the few people who work in SC and live over the hill. I never thought I'd miss living there, but I do. Morgan Hill is boring.
DataStream
(01-31-2013, 04:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Giant Robot

I keep telling myself to make it out there, but i'll end up at some fried chicken and waffle place instead.

Humphry Slocombe aint so bad either, but I've only had their Vietnamese Iced Coffee flavor and banana flavor.

Humphry Slocombe secret breakfast is my fav.

My friend and the owner throw a pop-up at Truck in the mission every few weeks, yummy comfort food and killer coke & bourbon floats with fresh baked cookies. Typically the featured item is based off the last meal of someone who was executed.

Man, camera crews everywhere on my block in the Haight Ashbury today. Guess they're digging in the backyard of one of the houses here hoping to find the body of Kevin Collins, a young boy who went missing about a hundred feet from here in 1984.

Crazy. Helicopters, news trucks, taped off areas and and a mobile police command center.

My GF mentioned she heard helicopters all day and somehow I didn't hear any of it even though I live a few blocks away. Pretty crazy.
Last edited by DataStream; 01-31-2013 at 04:22 AM.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 04:20 AM)

Morgan Hill to SC. I'm one of the few people who work in SC and live over the hill. I never thought I'd miss living there, but I do. Morgan Hill is boring.

Yeah man, only reason to live out there is cost, fewer crimes and if you prefer the small town feel. That's about a 50-60 minute commute too, maybe more depending on traffic.
Kabuto
(01-31-2013, 04:40 AM)

Dude I graduated from Santa Teresa HS in 2011. Small world.
Boogie9IGN
<3 Looking for Sailors <3
(01-31-2013, 05:40 AM)
Saaaaaaaaan Jooooooseeeeeeee

PS Oak Grove >>>>> Santa Teresa
Egnirys
(01-31-2013, 05:58 AM)

I know a guy in some of my classes who commutes from SJ to SC for school. He tries to have his classes on MWF or TTH exclusively and doesn't go to any sections. I have no idea how he does it, but he wants to graduate fast and get a job. When it rains he just doesn't go to class at all. I'd rather pay rent than spend money on gas + car maintenance.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 06:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Boogie9IGN

Saaaaaaaaan Jooooooseeeeeeee

PS Oak Grove >>>>> Santa Teresa

I was expelled from Oak Grove my Freshman year :P

Originally Posted by Kabuto

Dude I graduated from Santa Teresa HS in 2011. Small world.

Nice haha. I was class of 2006 though. A few of my friends/ex-teammates coach the football team now.

I was an absolute dick in High School though, so pretty much every teacher hated me. Off the top of my head, does Mr. Wilson (Not the black one. I know he still teaches actually, saw him at a football game), Mrs. Durnin, Mr. Rudasill, Mr Caldie, Mrs Meyers, Mrs Wilson (aka the Wedgie), Mr. Burnett, Mrs/Mr Mead, Mr Howard, Mr Rasmussen, Mrs Flores, etc. still teach at the school?

Originally Posted by Egnirys

I know a guy in some of my classes who commutes from SJ to SC for school. He tries to have his classes on MWF or TTH exclusively and doesn't go to any sections. I have no idea how he does it, but he wants to graduate fast and get a job. When it rains he just doesn't go to class at all. I'd rather pay rent than spend money on gas + car maintenance.

You go to UCSC? What College are you? I was Oakes of course...
Last edited by harSon; 01-31-2013 at 06:11 AM.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 06:09 AM)
edit: Double Post
vicissitudes
Banned
(01-31-2013, 06:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Kambing

Some foodie tips, all my opinion of course:

Best Ramen - Sawaii Ramen, 2240 Irving SF. Around $10-13 for a bowl/person. Seriously this shit is the bomb. Best ramen i have ever had, hands down. Get the tonkatsu ramen with extra porkbelly and egg. You will thank me. Also, go lunch time, food seems to taste better haha.

Best Beef - House of Prime Rib, 1906 Van Ness SF. Be ready to spend $40-65 a person, upper limit with inclusion of alchohol. I've had pretty freaking good steak and prime rib at lots of restaurants and this place right here is my favorite. Its really my favorite restaurant now that i think about it. Very simple menu(only prime rib and "catch of the day" which tends to be salmon) with good sides. If you go here get the creamed spinach. Moderate wine selection. Good for those on keto/primal diet, just order two servings of the spinach.

Best Sushi - Sushiholic, 112 Vintage Way Novato. $15-40 a person. Really fresh fish combined with awesome awesome rolls at a good price. The piece of fish they give you, be it sashimi or sushi is just massive. I recommend the hawaiin butterfish, toro, and salmon belly.

Now I'm hungry.
Fuzzery
(01-31-2013, 06:12 AM)
Didn't know so many people were in berkeley either. Purple Drazi r u a bear?
Cyan
Red
(01-31-2013, 06:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Fuzzery

Didn't know so many people were in berkeley either. Purple Drazi r u a bear?

Yep! South Bay these days, but I went to Cal in the early aughts.
Fuzzery
(01-31-2013, 06:18 AM)
Haha, same deal. I still go up occasionally to visit the few friends who are left, though.
Auron_Kale
Santalope
(01-31-2013, 06:30 AM)

I was Crown. I think I've eaten at every college eatery on campus while I was there. Love & miss Kresge co-op now that I don't go there anymore.

Also, I love driving 17 when it's shitty outside for some reason. Also, fastest time I've crossed it was 15 minutes, was like a Tuesday night I think - was heading to SJ to see a movie at Century 22 (friend was dry running a movie).
Kabuto
(01-31-2013, 06:34 AM)

Nice haha. I was class of 2006 though. A few of my friends/ex-teammates coach the football team now.

I was an absolute dick in High School though, so pretty much every teacher hated me. Off the top of my head, does Mr. Wilson (Not the black one. I know he still teaches actually, saw him at a football game), Mrs. Durnin, Mr. Rudasill, Mr Caldie, Mrs Meyers, Mrs Wilson (aka the Wedgie), Mr. Burnett, Mrs/Mr Mead, Mr Howard, Mr Rasmussen, Mrs Flores, etc. still teach at the school?

I only went to ST my senior year so I didn't know as many teachers, but yeah Caldie and Mead are still teaching from what I know. Caldie was awesome; loved his snack bar he had haha
Egnirys
(01-31-2013, 06:36 AM)

Porter, though I didn't live on campus for long. I was 24 at the time and everyone around me was young and getting drunk or high all the time. I've been living off campus with grad students since then. How was it at Oakes? I hate it when I have classes there because it's way out of the way.
Vilam
Maxis Redwood
(01-31-2013, 07:38 AM)

Sounds like the complete opposite of my experience. I would imagine the playoffs had a lot to do with it. I'm generally of the opinion that you can go to sports games as an away fan, and if you don't make a jackass of yourself there will always be someone else acting obnoxious to draw any negative attention elsewhere (not suggesting you were acting up). If you can laugh off a little ribbing from people passing by you'll generally be fine.

And yes, I've gone to a Raiders game fully decked out in Dolphins gear as well. Didn't have any particular problems or hostility thrown my way except for one guy who seemed to seriously dislike my hat but was content to only yell at me from ten rows away. For reference, the hat was one of those crazy looking zubas hats from the 80s; I do enjoy wearing it to live events because I know the look of it annoys people.

Originally Posted by Acid08

You cannot. Walking the barb wire ridden path from Bart to the stadium is another....interesting aspect of the Oakland Raider experience. Oh, and stabbings.

I always thought that crossing felt like you were getting herded into a concentration camp. Not exactly a pleasant or welcoming area.
hyp
(01-31-2013, 07:47 AM)

nice! went to Indy, which is also where I spent the majority of my life. lived right by the flea market.
hyp
(01-31-2013, 07:53 AM)

small world, I'm a slug too. haha
sca2511
(01-31-2013, 08:01 AM)

Originally Posted by hyp

SJ raised as well. Living in Morgan Hill now, but I'm usually in the east side since the GF lives there + school.
Giant Robot
(01-31-2013, 09:00 AM)

Hi neighbor. My niece goes to Santa Teresa now. I graduated from Oak Grove a while back. Andre Carter (49ers, Redskins, Raiders) was in my PE class and yes he was fucking huge. Gibril Wilson (NY Giants) was also in my PE class.
harSon
(01-31-2013, 06:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Giant Robot

Hi neighbor. My niece goes to Santa Teresa now. I graduated from Oak Grove a while back. Andre Carter (49ers, Redskins, Raiders) was in my PE class and yes he was fucking huge. Gibril Wilson (NY Giants) was also in my PE class.

Did you know someone named Joseph Thompson by any chance? My brother went to Oak Grove around the time those guys were going to OG.

Originally Posted by sca2511

SJ raised as well. Living in Morgan Hill now, but I'm usually in the east side since the GF lives there + school.

East Side is where all the fun is at, although it's getting a bit more dangerous with the cutbacks in the SJPD :P Despite living in South San Jose, I always find myself on the East Side. South San Jose is boring, although Oakridge isn't too bad of a mall. Eastridge, Valley Fair, Great Mall and Santana Row are still better though.

Originally Posted by hyp

nice! went to Indy, which is also where I spent the majority of my life. lived right by the flea market.

Berryessa Fleamarket? Haven't been there in years. Used to love going there when I was younger. The place is ridiculously big.

And what College were you at UCSC?

Originally Posted by Egnirys

Porter, though I didn't live on campus for long. I was 24 at the time and everyone around me was young and getting drunk or high all the time. I've been living off campus with grad students since then. How was it at Oakes? I hate it when I have classes there because it's way out of the way.

Well yeah, it's Porter :P Oakes was alright. The dorms were pretty shitty compared to some of the other ones, so I couldn't wait to get the hell off of campus, but I met a lot of great people along the way. It's classification as the Minority college is definitely appropriate though haha

Originally Posted by Kabuto

I only went to ST my senior year so I didn't know as many teachers, but yeah Caldie and Mead are still teaching from what I know. Caldie was awesome; loved his snack bar he had haha

Yeah man, Caldie was awesome. He still teaches Economics right? Does he still make students do the video project? That shit was fun as a hell. My group did a spin on Saw (maybe he showed it in class?)

Originally Posted by Auron_Kale

I was Crown. I think I've eaten at every college eatery on campus while I was there. Love & miss Kresge co-op now that I don't go there anymore.

Also, I love driving 17 when it's shitty outside for some reason. Also, fastest time I've crossed it was 15 minutes, was like a Tuesday night I think - was heading to SJ to see a movie at Century 22 (friend was dry running a movie).

Yeah man, Kresge was pretty awesome. So damn peaceful and such gorgeous scenery. The campus in general is gorgeous, except Oakes which looks like it's minutes away from succumbing to a wild fire :P