• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

(06-13-2016, 03:21 PM)
Anyone getting full page pop ups that you have to back out of or reload the main page again?
One Foul Note
(06-13-2016, 03:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Yankee Ruin X

Got this ad just now and couldn't close it without being taken to the App Store, in the UK.

I'm getting this one too. The high frequency of it occurring and the way it forces you into the App Store is making it very invasive and irritating.
NotTheGuyYouKill
(06-13-2016, 08:29 PM)
I just got a giant full page Wal-Mart ad that covered the whole screen.

Sucked.

Took a screenshot if you want it.
Aylinato
(06-13-2016, 09:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Yankee Ruin X

Got this ad just now and couldn't close it without being taken to the App Store, in the UK.

Same as, forwarding link to admins
Aurongel
(06-13-2016, 09:36 PM)
I'm now reporting around ~2/5 ads I get for pulling the focus of my browser window for Chrome on the desktop. This is getting absolutely infuriating. I've also gotten the full page walmart ad and saved the link address. Is there a better way of reporting ads like these apart from the built in reporting feature?

I'd like to give the most useful feedback I can.
kavanf1
(06-13-2016, 09:37 PM)

Originally Posted by PtM

Google won't give you the image URL, try abload.de or imgur.com.

Thanks, I normally use Imgur but for some reason the app isn't letting me share images at the moment.

Originally Posted by kavanf1

Screenshots of the ad that locks up my phone and forces me to shut down the browser to get out of it:

Fixed:

Code:

Naturally I didn't click any of the links but the only way to get rid of the ad was to close the browser.
Corran Horn
May the Schwartz be with you
(06-13-2016, 09:50 PM)
Getting video ads on bottom that is destroying my phone performance.

Was for Florida natural oj, reported it via the link.

Edit, different ad but same video player and lag

Last edited by Corran Horn; 06-13-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Nickle
Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
(06-14-2016, 01:03 AM)
Getting one of those ads that doesn't load when the rest of the page does, so I tap somewhere and then the screen jumps half an inch down and I touch the wrong thing.
braves01
Banned
(06-14-2016, 01:40 AM)
I've been getting that Marvel one a lot on mobile iOS.
Sneaky Gato
(06-14-2016, 02:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Nickle

Getting one of those ads that doesn't load when the rest of the page does, so I tap somewhere and then the screen jumps half an inch down and I touch the wrong thing.

I've been having this issue as well. The weird thing is that it will appear to load for a second but then disappear causing the screen to jump all over. I don't know what ad is causing it since it keeps disappearing.
Grimm Fandango
(06-14-2016, 02:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Sneaky Gato

I've been having this issue as well. The weird thing is that it will appear to load for a second but then disappear causing the screen to jump all over. I don't know what ad is causing it since it keeps disappearing.

It's something with the top of the page ads. It's even causing the last-unread-post jump to load wrong.
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(06-14-2016, 02:53 AM)

Originally Posted by braves01

Same, getting it loads of times.
OverBlood 3
(06-14-2016, 04:42 AM)
Getting that marvel one constantly
TheCochese
(06-14-2016, 04:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Nickle

Good lord, yes. That is supremely testing my patience.
Busaiku
(06-14-2016, 11:02 AM)
I got this Columbia ad with a drone delivering something to a bunch of people.
It made the site unusable until I reloaded.
When I tried reporting it, I couldn't even type anything, my keyboard never pulled up (on mobile).
Wouldn't let me do anything on the page either. After opening up the report form, couldn't exit out.

I don't think the Columbia ad is the only one, all video ads seem to make the site unusable until I reload. That was just the only one I tried to report.
FelixOrion
Poet Centuriate
(06-14-2016, 12:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Busaiku

I got this Columbia ad with a drone delivering something to a bunch of people.
It made the site unusable until I reloaded.
When I tried reporting it, I couldn't even type anything, my keyboard never pulled up (on mobile).
Wouldn't let me do anything on the page either. After opening up the report form, couldn't exit out.

I don't think the Columbia ad is the only one, all video ads seem to make the site unusable until I reload. That was just the only one I tried to report.

Same. The video player ads just bring everything to a screeching halt.
ColtraineGF
(06-14-2016, 01:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Corran Horn

Getting video ads on bottom that is destroying my phone performance.

Was for Florida natural oj, reported it via the link.

Edit, different ad but same video player and lag

Getting this same type of ad - once I get it, the entire page slows to a crawl, and sometimes stops completely (unable to click on anything, unable to scroll). I don't know who it's by though.
Wowfunhappy
(06-14-2016, 05:23 PM)
Obviously wouldn't actually do it, but I was kind of tempted to report this ad.

Doominated
(06-14-2016, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy

Obviously wouldn't actually do it, but I was kind of tempted to report this ad.

Haha came here to post this same thing.

Burn it with fire
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-14-2016, 06:17 PM)
Keep in mind that Trump paying for campaign ads on NeoGAF is probably the biggest waste of money since Trump Steaks at the Sharper Image. As offensive as his crinkled orange visage is, you're siphoning his campaign money every time you see that thing. And I'm taking his money and enforcing what is apparently an evil SJW agenda or whatever nonsense we're calling decency to fellow human beings these days, which to my knowledge he isn't too keen on.
Sparse
(06-14-2016, 07:31 PM)

Thanks, I normally use Imgur but for some reason the app isn't letting me share images at the moment.

Fixed:

Code:

Naturally I didn't click any of the links but the only way to get rid of the ad was to close the browser.

Gah. Just got that one again on mobile. Can't go back, and sets the phone's vibration off. I couldn't grab a screenshot, but the URL in History is pointing to "us(dot)computing-apps(dot)xyz". I seem to get that once at least once a month or so.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-14-2016, 07:37 PM)
Also, will look into tracking down that Marvel ad and the other new reports. On it.

Originally Posted by Sparse

Gah. Just got that one again on mobile. Can't go back, and sets the phone's vibration off. I couldn't grab a screenshot, but the URL in History is pointing to "us(dot)computing-apps(dot)xyz". I seem to get that once at least once a month or so.

Ad team did a system-wide block of this one as per all the user reporting sent to me earlier, but will look into this url. Sorry for the trouble.
Rymuth
(06-14-2016, 07:44 PM)
Oh my god, just saw this thread. Thank you, thank you. Couple of times, I wanted to complain about an ad taking over half my phone screen. Will put this to good use.
Sparse
(06-14-2016, 08:04 PM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

Also, will look into tracking down that Marvel ad and the other new reports. On it.

Ad team did a system-wide block of this one as per all the user reporting sent to me earlier, but will look into this url. Sorry for the trouble.

No worries, and thank you for going to this effort. :)
kavanf1
(06-14-2016, 08:17 PM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

Much appreciated, thanks.
MoonsaultSlayer
(06-14-2016, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by 4444244

Anyone getting full page pop ups that you have to back out of or reload the main page again?

Yes. I can't report the ad as a result.

The page bouncing around as an ad loads causing me to press on the wrong pages has become beyond frustrating.
SpecX
(06-14-2016, 09:05 PM)
Sorry didn't get a screen capture but Arnold's Mobile Strike has been going full page and is showing as an ad on top of the bottom page ad.

Edit: Ignore this, found out it was caused by the free Wi-Fi at Knott's. They have something creating ads on devices connected to their free wireless.
Last edited by SpecX; 06-16-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Meus Renaissance
(06-14-2016, 10:07 PM)
Unrelated to ads specifically, but the Twitter/Facebook feature has added to the time a page loads considerably for me.
TsunamiOfSwagger
(06-14-2016, 10:58 PM)
Just got some marvel mobile game ad pop up and redirect to the App Store. I'm using an iPhone and safari, both up to date version wise afaik. Did it about 4 times in a row trying to get on the OT section.
| Praxis |
(06-15-2016, 01:11 AM)
The ads are really bad on the desktop site now, very intrusive. Constantly pop up as I move the curser around the screen. I hate to moan, as this site is a free service I am very grateful of, but I would love an option to pay to remove them or something.
Hero-of-Time
(06-15-2016, 07:27 AM)
Not sure if this is the kinda of feedback you are after but I'll let you know anyway.

I mainly browse Gaf on my mobile (iOS) and while the ads haven't been intrusive, they have certainly slowed down the performance of the site. It's now taking up to 10 seconds to load a page. It used to be stupidly fast to jump between topics or boards but now everything has slowed to a crawl.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-15-2016, 07:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Hero-of-Time

Not sure if this is the kinda of feedback you are after but I'll let you know anyway.

I mainly browse Gaf on my mobile (iOS) and while the ads haven't been intrusive, they have certainly slowed down the performance of the site. It's now taking up to 10 seconds to load a page. It used to be stupidly fast to jump between topics or boards but now everything has slowed to a crawl.

It's E3
SuperPac
(06-15-2016, 04:25 PM)

Originally Posted by TsunamiOfSwagger

Just got some marvel mobile game ad pop up and redirect to the App Store. I'm using an iPhone and safari, both up to date version wise afaik. Did it about 4 times in a row trying to get on the OT section.

I got this too. Can't seem to actually hit the "X" to close it, either and no way to report it.
Crispy75
(06-15-2016, 07:17 PM)
Fake antivirus hikack on Android from opshit.xyz
Didn't screen grab, sorry!
Karl2177
(06-15-2016, 08:25 PM)
I know this is more intended for reporting malicious ads, but I'm going to mention this here anyways. On mobile the top ad will sometimes be the double height and sometimes the single height. When the page loads it loads the single height by default, but no ad shows up. My loading bar shows the page completely loaded and then it restarts to load up the double sided ad. The problem is that I'll see the page as fully loaded the first time and tap on a link, but it'll think that I clicked on whatever would be there for the double size ad page. Normally it is just plain text and it won't do anything, but sometimes it's an ad, a profile page, an image tag, another link, etc.

Is there a way to just load the double height by default?
Jack Scofield
(06-15-2016, 08:43 PM)
Not sure if it's appropriate for this thread, but these ads are creating minor headaches on mobile. They take a bit longer to load than the rest of the page, which means that the page will jump down once the ad finally appears.

This didn't happen with the older ads. Sorry if this has been brought up before. I had a slow internet connection all weekend and it just exacerbated the issue.

EDIT: It looks like the poster above me has the exact same problem that I was talking about.
Pokemaniac
(06-15-2016, 10:14 PM)
Yeah, if the ad regions were fixed size (at least for any given screen size), that'd be much less annoying to you.
TsunamiOfSwagger
(06-15-2016, 10:58 PM)
Got the same advert again. Seems to be the same time everyday. I know detectiveGAF is busy cracking the RE7 demo, but why is always happening at 22.00 gmt? It's not like I only come on at this time, I'm constantly on here browsing.
Stinkles
Banned
(06-15-2016, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by braves01

I got it about every ten actions yesterday.
Mik2121
Platinum Member
(06-16-2016, 01:57 AM)
Maybe this is super minor and only happens to me, but when I go to the main page (on the mobile version) where you can select the sub-forum, the ad always takes about a sec or so to load and does it in two steps, so when I try to select the Off-Topic category, the ad space gets taller (because it's loading the thing) and I always end up touching on the Gaming Community sub-forum. It's so annoying!!

If the space didn't change based on what's loading, I would have no problem, but I hate when I'm on a page trying to click/touch something and it keeps loading and getting taller.

Edit: oh wow I see someone takes about it a few posts above. Yeah...
pestul
(06-16-2016, 03:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Karl2177

I know this is more intended for reporting malicious ads, but I'm going to mention this here anyways. On mobile the top ad will sometimes be the double height and sometimes the single height. When the page loads it loads the single height by default, but no ad shows up. My loading bar shows the page completely loaded and then it restarts to load up the double sided ad. The problem is that I'll see the page as fully loaded the first time and tap on a link, but it'll think that I clicked on whatever would be there for the double size ad page. Normally it is just plain text and it won't do anything, but sometimes it's an ad, a profile page, an image tag, another link, etc.

Yeah, I'm getting it and it actually makes me curse constantly tapping the wrong threads.
malfcn
(06-16-2016, 04:11 AM)
Reported the Trivago ad. It's another that scrolls down to the bottom, steals focus and keyboard. Android.
Nerdkiller
(06-16-2016, 05:14 AM)
My laptop's anti virus seems to be going crazy whenever I load up a new page here. I can't tell you what the ad looks like, because it gets blocked instantly, but it seems to be of the HTML:Script-inf. Anyone help me on that one?
Metalmarc
(06-16-2016, 07:15 AM)
Just had a same advert for a 3rd time boss, this happened just after a complete history/cookies etc cleanout, couldnt press report as it took over the whole screen and it had a captcha link.

It was a picture of a present and said something like you have won a gift.

Hope I'm doing right by Posting , since it hid the report ad by being fullscreen.
The
Url is

I put spaces after https:// to stop it being clickable

https:// offerland.info/l/8c579bd6-2433-11e6-9af1-02401b02a2b5/v/ca03f8da-337f-11e6-a4d8-1140b913c5bd/
Last edited by Metalmarc; 06-16-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Zeroneo
(06-16-2016, 07:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Karl2177

This is really the worst part about this. It's forcing me to wait before I click a thread for fear of miscliking.
StayDead
um wat
(06-16-2016, 08:33 AM)

Fixed:

Code:

I just got this 3 times in a row on my mobile.
Lagamorph
(06-16-2016, 04:06 PM)
Does anyone else get issues with some top of page ads being "double decker"?
Rather than a single level ad, after a second or two it'll suddenly load a second ad frame beneath it, but they're all part of one ad overall.
It's rather jarring on mobile as it causes the page to jump around twice, but it's only some ads that are like that, not all of them.
D4Danger
(06-16-2016, 10:07 PM)
don't know if it's something you can do because some ad networks prevent you from changing their code but HTML5 has a sandbox attribute for the iframe element that would eliminate most of the problems you have with ads.

by default if you don't give it a sandbox attribute it will enable all this

• allow-forms: Allows the embedded browsing context to submit forms. If this keyword is not used, this operation is not allowed.
  • allow-modals: Allows the embedded browsing context to open modal windows.
  • allow-orientation-lock: Allows the embedded browsing context to disable the ability to lock the screen orientation.
  • allow-pointer-lock: Allows the embedded browsing context to use the Pointer Lock API.
  • allow-popups: Allows popups (like from window.open, target="_blank", showModalDialog). If this keyword is not used, that functionality will silently fail.
  • allow-popups-to-escape-sandbox: Allows a sandboxed document to open new windows without forcing the sandboxing flags upon them. This will allow, for example, a third-party advertisement to be safely sandboxed without forcing the same restrictions upon a landing page.
  • allow-same-origin: Allows the content to be treated as being from its normal origin. If this keyword is not used, the embedded content is treated as being from a unique origin.
  • allow-scripts: Allows the embedded browsing context to run scripts (but not create pop-up windows). If this keyword is not used, this operation is not allowed.
  • allow-top-navigation: Allows the embedded browsing context to navigate (load) content to the top-level browsing context. If this keyword is not used, this operation is not allowed.

but you could do away with almost all that and do something like

Code:

<iframe sandbox="allow-scripts">
which would still let ads run scripts but what they could actually do would be limited so no more redirects and other nasty stuff.

I'm not sure how it would affect your site though so I hesitated to post it until I got a bunch of redirects recently.

browser support is about 90%

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/hh563496.aspx
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutoria...boxed-iframes/
Last edited by D4Danger; 06-16-2016 at 10:11 PM.
MoonsaultSlayer
(06-16-2016, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Jack Scofield

Not sure if it's appropriate for this thread, but these ads are creating minor headaches on mobile. They take a bit longer to load than the rest of the page, which means that the page will jump down once the ad finally appears.

This didn't happen with the older ads. Sorry if this has been brought up before. I had a slow internet connection all weekend and it just exacerbated the issue.

EDIT: It looks like the poster above me has the exact same problem that I was talking about.

Me as well. Sometimes I'll wait a good five seconds but as soon as I'm about to tap a thread, it jumps and I have to back out and repeat the process. Not fun.
brokenbeans
Big Swaggin'
(06-17-2016, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Stinkles

I got it about every ten actions yesterday.

Just got this now when I entered OT.