• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-02-2017, 03:32 PM)
captive's Avatar
(insert fancy logo here) someone want to make one?


The All new and improved Camera Equipment Megathread
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1165019

Recommended photography related blogs and websites and books.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/




Photography Thread from 2016
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1165877

Quarterly threads from 2015

GAF Photography Q4 2015
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1128671

GAF Photography Q3 2015
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1074200

GAF Photography Q2 2015
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=1029667

GAF Photography Q1 2015
http://neogaf.site/forum/showthread.php?t=964465


Photos posted yesterday in the 2016 thread.

Originally Posted by Fëanorian

Got a turntable and some records woo!!

Vinyl by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Originally Posted by FStop7

Originally Posted by jongkookie

I forgot to post these a few days ago so posting these now before the 2017 thread goes up lol.







There's more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/274326...57674776436664

captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-02-2017, 06:07 PM)
captive's Avatar
ill get this started.
Falls at Lost Maples by Billy York, on Flickr
AnkitT
Member
(01-03-2017, 08:59 AM)
AnkitT's Avatar
NysGAF
Junior Member
(01-03-2017, 07:44 PM)
Used a couple of sliders I'd never tried before in LR. Don't think I've posted with this lens yet, either. It's a Fuji XF60 macro.

by Pieter
supernormal
Junior Member
(01-03-2017, 08:02 PM)
supernormal's Avatar
Here's some I hadn't put up yet from my last shoot.

Karla 3 L by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Karla 3 by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Lulu by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr
JadedWriter
Member
(01-04-2017, 06:38 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by supernormal

Here's some I hadn't put up yet from my last shoot.

Karla 3 L by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Karla 3 by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Lulu by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

These are good. I'm getting really close to saying fuck it and getting a second flash to help with my portraits.

DSC_5073 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5084 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5102 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
cyborg009
Member
(01-04-2017, 06:55 PM)
cyborg009's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

These are good. I'm getting really close to saying fuck it and getting a second flash to help with my portraits.

r

Those colors..........OMG
sneaky77
Member
(01-04-2017, 06:58 PM)
sneaky77's Avatar
I accidentally posted this on last yr's thread since I missed the link for this one.

As always, amazing stuff here, those portraits are excellent.

Went for a walk on Friday afternoon to a new state park I had never been and took some black and white stuff.

12-2016-eno-30 1 by Ike Maruri, on Flickr

12-2016-eno-39 1 by Ike Maruri, on Flickr
JadedWriter
Member
(01-04-2017, 06:58 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by cyborg009

Those colors..........OMG

Did I over edit?
sneaky77
Member
(01-04-2017, 07:11 PM)
sneaky77's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Did I over edit?

I think they look good imo, vibrant
JadedWriter
Member
(01-04-2017, 07:14 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by sneaky77

I think they look good imo, vibrant

Perfect cause that's what I was going for. I go a little bit crazier with non living things in post. With people I still do a good amount of stuff, but I try to take out some of the vibrancy with the colors to give them more of a natural tone. It's a weird sort of muted contrasty look that I have for people.
cyborg009
Member
(01-04-2017, 08:43 PM)
cyborg009's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Did I over edit?

it's perfect the colors really do pop. What do you use lightroom or PS to edit?
JadedWriter
Member
(01-04-2017, 08:49 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by cyborg009

it's perfect the colors really do pop. What do you use lightroom or PS to edit?

I use Lightroom. I don't think I'd touch PS for anything other than actual retouch work.
opticalmace
Member
(01-04-2017, 08:49 PM)
opticalmace's Avatar
I noticed there's a 4th edition of Understanding Exposure.. anyone checked it out yet (vs the older ones)?
Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytiiime
(01-04-2017, 08:54 PM)
Killer Queen's Avatar
Subscribed
Dr.Horrible
Member
(01-04-2017, 10:27 PM)
Dr.Horrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by opticalmace

I noticed there's a 4th edition of Understanding Exposure.. anyone checked it out yet (vs the older ones)?

I have it, but still have yet to dive into it. I'd gladly answer any specific questions you might have about it though. It's something I intend to dig into soon.
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(01-05-2017, 12:03 AM)
aidan's Avatar
New headphones are makin' my ears sing.



Canon EOS 5D
EF50mm f/1.8
50mm/ƒ/2.2/1/30s/ISO 400
JadedWriter
Member
(01-05-2017, 04:28 AM)
JadedWriter's Avatar
DSC_5108 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5119 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5222 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5287 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5335 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5147 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5130 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
MisterNugNug
Member
(01-05-2017, 04:54 AM)
MisterNugNug's Avatar
Glamour by Tony Nguyen, on Flickr

Anyone else using old manual focus lenses? Been trying out this Takumar 50 f1.4 for portraits.
H3XAntiStyle
Member
(01-05-2017, 04:59 AM)
H3XAntiStyle's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterNugNug

Glamour by Tony Nguyen, on Flickr

Anyone else using old manual focus lenses? Been trying out this Takumar 50 f1.4 for portraits.

I use pretty much only manual lenses, though only one is actually vintage -- the Canon FD 50 1.4.
PanicFreak
Member
(01-05-2017, 06:30 AM)
PanicFreak's Avatar
Happy 2017. Here are a couple of photos I've taken recently.

The first two were taken during a hike at Staunton State Park in Colorado

Staunten 2016-18 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Staunten 2016-15 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

The next three were taken while my wife and I were snowshoeing to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was snowing really hard so I couldn't get any great shots of the scenery but it was a damn fun time.

Holiday RMNP-12 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Holiday RMNP-10 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Holiday RMNP-2 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Obligatory picture of my daughter looking at a monkey.

Denver Zoo -28 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr
jongkookie
Member
(01-05-2017, 06:45 AM)
jongkookie's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterNugNug

Anyone else using old manual focus lenses? Been trying out this Takumar 50 f1.4 for portraits.

Yep, manual lenses all the way for me.

My daily camera bag contains my walk around lens which is a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 and a Nikon Series E 50mm f.18.

Out of my camera bag and for the specialized stuff I've got a Nikon 28mm f3.5 AI-S, Opteka 85mm f1.8, Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-4, Sigma 70-250mm f3.5-4.5, and a Promaster 19-35mm f3.5-4.5(though I don't use this much coz it's almost unnecessary on full frame lol).

And just last week I bought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 "K-type" which is probably the only real vintage lens I've got(serial number says it was made between 1974-1976).
vern
Member
(01-05-2017, 06:48 AM)
vern's Avatar

Originally Posted by PanicFreak

Happy 2017. Here are a couple of photos I've taken recently.
.

Really like the second one, looks like it's from The Revenant or something. The two after that are also pretty awesome... looks so fucking cold though lol. I couldn't do it.
MisterNugNug
Member
(01-05-2017, 08:23 AM)
MisterNugNug's Avatar

Originally Posted by H3XAntiStyle

I use pretty much only manual lenses, though only one is actually vintage -- the Canon FD 50 1.4.

Cool! You ever watch Mathieu Stern videos on Youtube?

Originally Posted by jongkookie

Yep, manual lenses all the way for me.

My daily camera bag contains my walk around lens which is a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 and a Nikon Series E 50mm f.18.

Out of my camera bag and for the specialized stuff I've got a Nikon 28mm f3.5 AI-S, Opteka 85mm f1.8, Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-4, Sigma 70-250mm f3.5-4.5, and a Promaster 19-35mm f3.5-4.5(though I don't use this much coz it's almost unnecessary on full frame lol).

And just last week I bought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 "K-type" which is probably the only real vintage lens I've got(serial number says it was made between 1974-1976).

That's a huge kit! Is there a genre or style of photography that you gravitate towards?
jongkookie
Member
(01-05-2017, 09:06 AM)
jongkookie's Avatar

Originally Posted by MisterNugNug

That's a huge kit! Is there a genre or style of photography that you gravitate towards?

I don't really have a particular genre/style that I do, it's mostly automotive and portraits.

A lot of the glass I have is from my amateur days lol. I was just discovering the world of vintage/manual focus lenses and I just bought whatever appealed to me that was under $100 bucks haha.

I'm also working as a inventory photog as my 9-5 and while I've only been here for a few months, a lot of the signs I've been getting is that it's time for me to bounce outta here. It's a shame too, it's kinda fun despite the repetition but those signs are pretty concerning.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-05-2017, 01:55 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by jongkookie

Yep, manual lenses all the way for me.

My daily camera bag contains my walk around lens which is a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 and a Nikon Series E 50mm f.18.

Out of my camera bag and for the specialized stuff I've got a Nikon 28mm f3.5 AI-S, Opteka 85mm f1.8, Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-4, Sigma 70-250mm f3.5-4.5, and a Promaster 19-35mm f3.5-4.5(though I don't use this much coz it's almost unnecessary on full frame lol).

And just last week I bought a Nikon 50mm f1.4 "K-type" which is probably the only real vintage lens I've got(serial number says it was made between 1974-1976).

I find my photography too centered around the random actions of random people so I don't think I could get manual lenses to exactly work for me. Portraits or anything planned fine. Trying to photograph a random Asian female tourist before they spot me taking their picture and run off? Completely different story. Glad you can make that stuff work for you though, it's very budget friendly. I have a huge camera bag too though. I pretty much walk around with two 2.8 zooms and a 85 prime. If I have a planned event...that I actually have time to prepare for I have 2 cameras and about 3 lenses in one bag.

Originally Posted by jongkookie

I don't really have a particular genre/style that I do, it's mostly automotive and portraits.

A lot of the glass I have is from my amateur days lol. I was just discovering the world of vintage/manual focus lenses and I just bought whatever appealed to me that was under $100 bucks haha.

I'm also working as a inventory photog as my 9-5 and while I've only been here for a few months, a lot of the signs I've been getting is that it's time for me to bounce outta here. It's a shame too, it's kinda fun despite the repetition but those signs are pretty concerning.

A person does so much lens looking in their amateur days before they know exactly what they really need. I think I'd have one less lens actually or would've planned better for full frame transitioning. If you're not enjoying it then go. It's a huge pain in the ass finding photography related jobs though. Even my job isn't 100% photograpy related, I have a ton of office work to do as well.
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-05-2017 at 01:59 PM.
jongkookie
Member
(01-05-2017, 08:19 PM)
jongkookie's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

I find my photography too centered around the random actions of random people so I don't think I could get manual lenses to exactly work for me. Portraits or anything planned fine. Trying to photograph a random Asian female tourist before they spot me taking their picture and run off? Completely different story. Glad you can make that stuff work for you though, it's very budget friendly. I have a huge camera bag too though. I pretty much walk around with two 2.8 zooms and a 85 prime. If I have a planned event...that I actually have time to prepare for I have 2 cameras and about 3 lenses in one bag.

A person does so much lens looking in their amateur days before they know exactly what they really need. I think I'd have one less lens actually or would've planned better for full frame transitioning. If you're not enjoying it then go. It's a huge pain in the ass finding photography related jobs though. Even my job isn't 100% photograpy related, I have a ton of office work to do as well.

That's the good thing about living in the suburbs lol. I can't really do street photography since it's all houses and empty streets around me. The closest "busy" downtown area for me is half an hour with ridiculous prices for parking so it's essentially a waste of time and money for me to do street stuff. That's pretty much the only reason why my kit works, if I was more into street and high-action stuff, my kit would be useless.

That said, I'm looking into AF lenses in the near future. The dream would be a 24-70 2.8 G-Master from Sony but that's about twice the price I paid for my A7 so I'm also looking at alternates like the f4 Zeiss or whatever.

As for the job, I hear you man. I'm actually off this entire week and the half of next week because we've got no new inventory coming in and it sucks coz I'm hourly(aka I'm not getting paid at all during my "vacation" this week and the next). I've spent the entire morning job hunting and there's some non-photography related gigs that I can do, but that's really it.
Humidex
Member
(01-05-2017, 08:21 PM)
Humidex's Avatar
Ah the 2017 thread, brilliant. Quick one...looking to upgrade from my 6 year old 550d to a 7d MK II. Anyone out there with thoughts on this one? Thanks!
JadedWriter
Member
(01-05-2017, 08:30 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by jongkookie

That's the good thing about living in the suburbs lol. I can't really do street photography since it's all houses and empty streets around me. The closest "busy" downtown area for me is half an hour with ridiculous prices for parking so it's essentially a waste of time and money for me to do street stuff. That's pretty much the only reason why my kit works, if I was more into street and high-action stuff, my kit would be useless.

That said, I'm looking into AF lenses in the near future. The dream would be a 24-70 2.8 G-Master from Sony but that's about twice the price I paid for my A7 so I'm also looking at alternates like the f4 Zeiss or whatever.

As for the job, I hear you man. I'm actually off this entire week and the half of next week because we've got no new inventory coming in and it sucks coz I'm hourly(aka I'm not getting paid at all during my "vacation" this week and the next). I've spent the entire morning job hunting and there's some non-photography related gigs that I can do, but that's really it.

They don't make an E mount Tamron 24-70? Zeiss and bargain are probably two words that never meet, but if they're cheaper that's cool. The E mount lens price is one thing that keeps me very far from Sony camera's. Yeah you can adapt, but that's an extra thing to put into a camera bag for me. I just look for freelance gigs and portrait sessions personally. I do the portrait stuff for fun, but I do my very best to stay away from free events these days. Sucks that you're hourly at your job though and not getting paid for down time.

Originally Posted by Humidex

Ah the 2017 thread, brilliant. Quick one...looking to upgrade from my 6 year old 550d to a 7d MK II. Anyone out there with thoughts on this one? Thanks!

If you're not heavily invested in Canon glass get the NIkon D500. From everywhere I check says it's a lot better than the 7D Mk II and they're actually competing in the same category.
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-05-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Damaged
Member
(01-05-2017, 09:35 PM)
Damaged's Avatar
Sadly 2016 was a quiet year for me photography wise, here's the first of 2017 in the hope I shoot more this year

JadedWriter
Member
(01-05-2017, 09:59 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Damaged

Sadly 2016 was a quiet year for me photography wise, here's the first of 2017 in the hope I shoot more this year

Is there a reason why you don't shoot too often?
Damaged
Member
(01-05-2017, 10:02 PM)
Damaged's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Is there a reason why you don't shoot too often?

Life getting in the way more than anything, but that's a work in progress as well haha
JadedWriter
Member
(01-05-2017, 10:33 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Damaged

Life getting in the way more than anything, but that's a work in progress as well haha

I know that feeling. Just working two jobs which severely through off my groove. Now I'm spending my time knocking off the rust a little bit. I try to shoot once or twice a week at least.
PanicFreak
Member
(01-06-2017, 01:22 AM)
PanicFreak's Avatar

Originally Posted by vern

Really like the second one, looks like it's from The Revenant or something. The two after that are also pretty awesome... looks so fucking cold though lol. I couldn't do it.

Thanks.

It was freezing but the fact that I was moving actually made me hot. The windchill that day was negative 11.
Last edited by PanicFreak; 01-06-2017 at 01:35 AM.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-06-2017, 04:12 AM)
JadedWriter's Avatar
Man nothing like trying to get back into a groove after an extended break.

DSC_5472 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5363 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5391 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5447 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5548 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5342 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-06-2017, 04:26 AM)
captive's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

I find my photography too centered around the random actions of random people so I don't think I could get manual lenses to exactly work for me. Portraits or anything planned fine. Trying to photograph a random Asian female tourist before they spot me taking their picture and run off? Completely different story. Glad you can make that stuff work for you though, it's very budget friendly. I have a huge camera bag too though. I pretty much walk around with two 2.8 zooms and a 85 prime. If I have a planned event...that I actually have time to prepare for I have 2 cameras and about 3 lenses in one bag.

believe it or not, people do street photography with manual focus lenses and even range finders. You need to check out some of Kirk Tuck's street photography.
opticalmace
Member
(01-06-2017, 04:49 AM)
opticalmace's Avatar
Wasn't really intended to be anything, just a random shot that turned out. Sony A55 with a Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7. I've had my camera for years but never really learned much about photography. I'm going to try to start learning now, seems really fun!

Hexxen-Panda
Junior Member
(01-06-2017, 05:01 AM)
Hexxen-Panda's Avatar
Oh, wow! Really amazing stuff in this thread. Subbed!
I really love looking at professional photographs, but I'm not particularly skilled or have any fancy equipment.

Here's one contribution to start off the year:
Nino by Jayvee Sadia, on Flickr
Last edited by Hexxen-Panda; 01-06-2017 at 05:03 AM. Reason: image was too big
JadedWriter
Member
(01-06-2017, 05:18 AM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

believe it or not, people do street photography with manual focus lenses and even range finders. You need to check out some of Kirk Tuck's street photography.

Oh I believe it, just wouldn't work out for me. I don't think my brain is exactly wired for that kind of thing.

Originally Posted by opticalmace

Wasn't really intended to be anything, just a random shot that turned out. Sony A55 with a Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7. I've had my camera for years but never really learned much about photography. I'm going to try to start learning now, seems really fun!

This must be wide open cause that cat body just melts out of focus.
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-06-2017 at 05:21 AM.
jongkookie
Member
(01-06-2017, 06:21 AM)
jongkookie's Avatar
Gonna continue the trend of "macro" shots with this poor Coca Cola Polar Bear that Best Buy was giving away for free last weekend. :(



Nothing crazy about this shot too. Just my video LED light(my flash triggers ran out of battery and I don't have any spare AAA's lol) with a blue filter raised halfway(to get white light at the bottom and the blue above), my Vivitar 70-210 at f/8 and the presets Andeeeh provided in the 2016 thread.

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

They don't make an E mount Tamron 24-70? Zeiss and bargain are probably two words that never meet, but if they're cheaper that's cool. The E mount lens price is one thing that keeps me very far from Sony camera's. Yeah you can adapt, but that's an extra thing to put into a camera bag for me. I just look for freelance gigs and portrait sessions personally. I do the portrait stuff for fun, but I do my very best to stay away from free events these days. Sucks that you're hourly at your job though and not getting paid for down time.

Nope, those only come in Canon, Nikon and Sony's A-mount(which you can get a $200+ adapter for the E-mount and have the full gamut of features but eh).

Interestingly enough, I got approached by another company today that wants me to do inventory photog for a multiple number of car dealerships so essentially the work doesn't run out. But it's contract(so not only do they not do your taxes for you, there's no benefits either) and you get paid per car instead of per hour and the quota is about 30 cars a day(and 20-40 shots). I'm interested but idk coz I'd be using my A7 instead of a company camera and I'm not exactly sure if I want to put my camera to that kind of abuse.

Freelance stuff is hard to come by right now though coz nobody just wants to be outside in January and February lol. Seriously, it's below 30F right now in fncking Texas. I literally stepped outside to get groceries today and I felt like I was gonna freeze to death haha.
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-06-2017, 04:08 PM)
captive's Avatar
going back to barbados this weekend.

Drift Away by Billy York, on Flickr
RuGalz
Member
(01-06-2017, 04:30 PM)
Thanks captive. subbed.

Planning and shooting during last year's trip to Japan for cherry blossom drained all my mojo for the rest of the year until I finally finished making a photobook for it. Hope to do more regular stuff this year instead of just lurking in 2016 thread.
opticalmace
Member
(01-06-2017, 06:50 PM)
opticalmace's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Oh I believe it, just wouldn't work out for me. I don't think my brain is exactly wired for that kind of thing.

This must be wide open cause that cat body just melts out of focus.

Lol yup. Playing with depth of field is neat. I wish I had shot this in raw though.

I think I'm going to order a physical copy of Understanding Exposure. I wish I had gotten into photography sooner. So cool! Also since everyone is using flickr, I guess I'll make an account there too.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-06-2017, 06:55 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by opticalmace

Lol yup. Playing with depth of field is neat. I wish I had shot this in raw though.

I love bokeh and depth of field shenanigans, but I'm trying to figure out if I should get a 1.4 lens since it seems like nothing is ever in focus at that aperture. Flickr is great as long as it stays free.
Team Jones
Member
(01-06-2017, 08:47 PM)
Team Jones's Avatar
I’m extremely excited now that I’ve developed a natural and consistent content, shooting, and editing style. My portfolio and feeds are slowly becoming more cohesive.

Location: Trinidad, Cuba





Last edited by Team Jones; 01-06-2017 at 08:56 PM.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-06-2017, 09:11 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Team Jones

I’m extremely excited now that I’ve developed a natural and consistent content, shooting, and editing style. My portfolio and feeds are slowly becoming more cohesive.

Location: Trinidad, Cuba

Nice color grading on this one.
iExplicit
Junior Member
(01-06-2017, 09:16 PM)
iExplicit's Avatar
Just picked up a Sigma 24-35 f2 Art for my Canon 6D. Here are some photos from last nights shoot!





Tugatrix
Member
(01-06-2017, 09:21 PM)
Tugatrix's Avatar
Just shot my first 35mm film in ages, this is exciting not knowing how well they got shot, until they got develop.
thespot84
Member
(01-06-2017, 09:33 PM)
thespot84's Avatar

Originally Posted by iExplicit

Just picked up a Sigma 24-35 f2 Art for my Canon 6D. Here are some photos from last nights shoot!





links are broken

Thread Tools