• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-06-2017, 10:12 PM)
captive's Avatar
Ragged Point Lighthouse by Billy York, on Flickr
JadedWriter
Member
(01-06-2017, 11:20 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

Ragged Point Lighthouse by Billy York, on Flickr

"That's a really good D800E shot." *Clicks on picture* "Fucking Phase one...sensors dirty."
paskowitz
Member
(01-06-2017, 11:25 PM)
paskowitz's Avatar
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-07-2017, 02:28 AM)
captive's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

"That's a really good D800E shot." *Clicks on picture* "Fucking Phase one...sensors dirty."

at this resolution it would be really hard for most people to tell the difference between a d800 and a phase one IQ180. The d800 can absolutely match everything about that photo except for the raw resolution.

That said you never know what i might post, i still have shots from my phase 1 and my fuji 617 that i haven't posted.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-07-2017, 02:59 AM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

at this resolution it would be really hard for most people to tell the difference between a d800 and a phase one IQ180. The d800 can absolutely match everything about that photo except for the raw resolution.

That said you never know what i might post, i still have shots from my phase 1 and my fuji 617 that i haven't posted.

Damn so the D800 series really is a medium format in a dslr body in a way. Really makes me want to get a D810 cause that thing is on my mind now, which is odd cause about 2 months ago I didn't want one...mainly cause of the damn file size.
jongkookie
Member
(01-07-2017, 04:44 AM)
jongkookie's Avatar
This white stuff fell from the sky in the afternoon:



It barely snowed but Dallas is so damn unprepared there were multiple wrecks(last I saw it was around 400 all over the DFW metroplex), people flipping their cars, 18-wheelers getting stuck in tall overpasses, traffic basically a huge fncking nightmare... it's fncking insane. A 20 minute drive took me an hour today in those conditions... ugh.

Seriously the snow didn't even accumulate on the roads, only on bridges and overpasses, and that's literally as much snow my front lawn saw today, yet all hell broke loose in this damn metro area.

On the brightside, my Nikon 50mm 1.4 showed up in the mail today but I've been pretty busy so this is all I got for now:



I'll get more shots tomorrow assuming I can actually get out of the house haha.
Futureman
Member
(01-07-2017, 05:08 AM)
Futureman's Avatar
My friend Marita is running for mayor in her borough and needed some photos.


Rock from Oregon


Some cow


Pupper
AnkitT
Member
(01-07-2017, 06:12 AM)
AnkitT's Avatar


Fuser
Junior Member
(01-07-2017, 02:09 PM)
My last shot of 2016 on a very foggy day!

brerwolfe
Member
(01-07-2017, 05:39 PM)
brerwolfe's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Flickr is great as long as it stays free.

I have no problem paying Flickr $2/month to store and display all my photos.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-07-2017, 10:50 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by brerwolfe

I have no problem paying Flickr $2/month to store and display all my photos.

That's actually not bad at all. I always thought Pro would be more expensive than that.
brerwolfe
Member
(01-08-2017, 03:28 AM)
brerwolfe's Avatar
I'm in Maui for work this week and decided to go on a whale watching trip yesterday and it was ridiculous. Only cost $35 for a 2-hour tour. Ended up taking over 500 photos. So awesome.


Whale Watching Tour by brerwolfe, on Flickr

This boat started chasing after the two whales in the distance...


Whale Watching Tour by brerwolfe, on Flickr

...and never saw the one pop up behind them.


Whale Watching Tour by brerwolfe, on Flickr


Whale Watching Tour by brerwolfe, on Flickr


Whale Watching Tour - Breach 1b by brerwolfe, on Flickr


Whale Watching Tour by brerwolfe, on Flickr
opticalmace
Member
(01-08-2017, 06:12 AM)
opticalmace's Avatar
Incredible shots brerwolfe.

What was the name of the tour company? Might go to Maui this year. :P
brerwolfe
Member
(01-08-2017, 06:40 AM)
brerwolfe's Avatar

Originally Posted by opticalmace

Incredible shots brerwolfe.

What was the name of the tour company? Might go to Maui this year. :P

Thanks! It was the Pacific Whale Foundation. The proceeds go toward research, education and preservation of marine mammals, so it makes it feel like you're doing something good when you buy a ticket.

Make sure you Google the whale season before you make a reservation, though. The whales migrate to Hawaii from Alaska every year to mate and/or birth their calves, and January/February is nearing the peak for whale activity.

Very cool experience. I got to work here for a couple days two years ago and my wife and I took the same whale watching tour. We didn't have any breaches, but we had very close encounters with a couple whales and it was incredible. If I ever get to come back, this will be my tradition. So awesome.
Dr.Horrible
Member
(01-08-2017, 02:48 PM)
Dr.Horrible's Avatar
Great pics brerwolfe!
Tugatrix
Member
(01-08-2017, 07:26 PM)
Tugatrix's Avatar
Amazing brerwolfe, where did you take those?
brerwolfe
Member
(01-08-2017, 07:46 PM)
brerwolfe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr.Horrible

Great pics brerwolfe!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tugatrix

Amazing brerwolfe, where did you take those?

I'm working in Maui this week, and the whale watching tour leaves out of Lahaina.
Zefah
Member
(01-08-2017, 08:00 PM)
Nice to have this thread up! After years of just screwing around mostly on auto with an entry-level DSLR, I decided I really wanted to learn digital photography at the end of last year and spent a bunch of money on a full frame camera and a couple of nice prime lenses. I've been having lots of fun learning how photography works (the book in the OP was a great resource) and taking photos. Most of them have just been of family and friends at get togethers, but I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some street/outdoors photography soon.

I'll have to start putting stuff up on Flickr so I can share what I take here.
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-08-2017, 10:19 PM)
captive's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Damn so the D800 series really is a medium format in a dslr body in a way. Really makes me want to get a D810 cause that thing is on my mind now, which is odd cause about 2 months ago I didn't want one...mainly cause of the damn file size.

you think iq180 file size is big, try two shots stitched together.

Ragged Point Sunrise by Billy York, on Flickr

i had this shot stitched by photoshop for a while, but when Lightroom came out with the photomerge i tried to stitch this together because i like how lightroom creates a new file in the library. The files are so big lightroom fails the process. Importing this tiff into lightroom and editing it, lightroom and my poor surface were chugging. I did edit it in Phase Ones Capture one or whatever its called but it just didnt behave the same way lightroom does and i found it easier to edit the files there.
The native print size on it is 24"x72"
JadedWriter
Member
(01-08-2017, 10:54 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

you think iq180 file size is big, try two shots stitched together.

Ragged Point Sunrise by Billy York, on Flickr

i had this shot stitched by photoshop for a while, but when Lightroom came out with the photomerge i tried to stitch this together because i like how lightroom creates a new file in the library. The files are so big lightroom fails the process. Importing this tiff into lightroom and editing it, lightroom and my poor surface were chugging. I did edit it in Phase Ones Capture one or whatever its called but it just didnt behave the same way lightroom does and i found it easier to edit the files there.
The native print size on it is 24"x72"

I love the colors. How many gigs is that thing? I heard panoramas can get pretty hefty in file size.

While on my way to and coming back from a cancelled photo shoot:

DSC_5570 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5578 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5587 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5598 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5592 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.
H3XAntiStyle
Member
(01-08-2017, 11:05 PM)
H3XAntiStyle's Avatar
I should be packing up, but instead I'm experimenting with using a monitor for backgrounds....

To be clear, this is a pretty quick and dirty shot, I'm trying to figure out if doing this works or not, rather than going for crazy quality (didn't even dust it rip). If you guys have any thoughts on how this is working, or anything that jumps out at you as off, please let me know lol. Any tips on lighting is especially appreciated.

20170108-Background Screen Test-161.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170108-Background Screen Test-165.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

JadedWriter
Member
(01-08-2017, 11:45 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by H3XAntiStyle

I should be packing up, but instead I'm experimenting with using a monitor for backgrounds....

To be clear, this is a pretty quick and dirty shot, I'm trying to figure out if doing this works or not, rather than going for crazy quality (didn't even dust it rip). If you guys have any thoughts on how this is working, or anything that jumps out at you as off, please let me know lol. Any tips on lighting is especially appreciated.

I actually like the monitor backgrounds. Kind of gives them a JRPG look to them.
H3XAntiStyle
Member
(01-09-2017, 12:14 AM)
H3XAntiStyle's Avatar

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

I actually like the monitor backgrounds. Kind of gives them a JRPG look to them.

Yeah, the plan is to try and find more "environment" backgrounds and getting those working, but I figure this is probably easier to make "work", since I don't have to worry about mimicking the lighting as much.

As long as it doesn't look like A MONITOR, then I should be able to work it out. Will probably be easier to make a stand that adjusts a monitor than it will be to go out and print huge paper backgrounds lol.

That being said, if I want to keep using these sorts of flashy backgrounds, I'm gonna need to upgrade my lighting, particularly getting some gels, to make them blend in better.
brerwolfe
Member
(01-09-2017, 03:16 AM)
brerwolfe's Avatar
An aerial panoramic of Maui I took a couple days ago:


Maui Panoramic by brerwolfe, on Flickr
KdotIX
Junior Member
(01-09-2017, 03:50 PM)
The photos in this thread are breath taking.

I'm looking to get into photography this year. I have bought the book listed in the OP (the 4th edition - since I presume this is the most up to-date version). I'm also looking at buying a Canon 750D - is there any reason why I shouldn't go for this camera? I can either get it with an 18-55mm lens or a 18 - 135mm lens.

I would also like to get handy with Lightroom, could any of you be so kind as to point me to a good resource to learn about it?

Looking at these photos is making me eager to get snapping!
JadedWriter
Member
(01-09-2017, 03:56 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by KdotIX

The photos in this thread are breath taking.

I'm looking to get into photography this year. I have bought the book listed in the OP (the 4th edition - since I presume this is the most up to-date version). I'm also looking at buying a Canon 750D - is there any reason why I shouldn't go for this camera? I can either get it with an 18-55mm lens or a 18 - 135mm lens.

I would also like to get handy with Lightroom, could any of you be so kind as to point me to a good resource to learn about it?

Looking at these photos is making me eager to get snapping!

It seems good enough, I'm not the hugest fan of Canon Rebel build quality though cause every time I'm handed one of them they feel like toys...I have the same complaint with Nikon entry level bodies as well. What do you intend to shoot? I just checked and if it's in your budget you could get a refurb Canon 80D from the Canon used store.
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-09-2017 at 04:04 PM.
KdotIX
Junior Member
(01-09-2017, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

It seems good enough, I'm not the hugest fan of Canon Rebel build quality though cause every time I'm handed one of them they feel like toys...I have the same complaint with Nikon entry level bodies as well. What do you intend to shoot? I just checked and if it's in your budget you could get a refurb Canon 80D from the Canon used store.

I intend to snap people at events (parties/weddings/family get-togethers etc.) mainly. But I also want to do some street and outdoorsy type shoots too (especially for when I go on vacations). So a good all rounder would be nice to have, if possible.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-09-2017, 05:03 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by KdotIX

I intend to snap people at events (parties/weddings/family get-togethers etc.) mainly. But I also want to do some street and outdoorsy type shoots too (especially for when I go on vacations). So a good all rounder would be nice to have, if possible.

Do you have a budget for a high iso body? Crop sensor...ain't great for indoor low light. It's improved greatly lately, but yeah...
KdotIX
Junior Member
(01-09-2017, 05:14 PM)

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

Do you have a budget for a high iso body? Crop sensor...ain't great for indoor low light. It's improved greatly lately, but yeah...

I would say that's a little out of my budget at this point in time. Probably best to inform you that I'm also a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography, so I was hoping for a middle ground, all-rounder that I can use to "get into it" and improve my game. Hopefully in the future I could start to master the higher end stuff.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-09-2017, 05:34 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by KdotIX

I would say that's a little out of my budget at this point in time. Probably best to inform you that I'm also a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography, so I was hoping for a middle ground, all-rounder that I can use to "get into it" and improve my game. Hopefully in the future I could start to master the higher end stuff.

What is your budget? I completely understand getting a beginner camera, but it also helps to get a camera that can keep up with your growth.
KdotIX
Junior Member
(01-09-2017, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

What is your budget? I completely understand getting a beginner camera, but it also helps to get a camera that can keep up with your growth.

I would say anywhere between £600-£800. Yeah I would like to have it be a good camera to use in 2 years time and something that I can use to continuously improve my skills, which is why I thought the 750D would be a good pick because I read that it's a good cross-point between entry level and enthusiast.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-09-2017, 05:47 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by KdotIX

I would say anywhere between £600-£800. Yeah I would like to have it be a good camera to use in 2 years time and something that I can use to continuously improve my skills, which is why I thought the 750D would be a good pick because I read that it's a good cross-point between entry level and enthusiast.

What is that in American dude money?
Get this:https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...it-refurbished Granted I don't know where the European refurb store is. Even this ain't that bad: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-...lens/1263C044/ Even closer: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-...lens/8469B038/ Granted I'm personally very camera body picky at this point. Go into a store and see what you like. I go by what I need and what I actually enjoy holding in my hand.
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-09-2017 at 06:02 PM.
KdotIX
Junior Member
(01-09-2017, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

What is that in American dude money?
Get this:https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...it-refurbished Granted I don't know where the European refurb store is. Even this ain't that bad: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-...lens/1263C044/ Even closer: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-...lens/8469B038/ Granted I'm personally very camera body picky at this point. Go into a store and see what you like. I go by what I need and what I actually enjoy holding in my hand.

Thanks for the suggestions dude. I will go to my local camera store tomorrow and see how these feel in the hands.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-09-2017, 07:21 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by KdotIX

Thanks for the suggestions dude. I will go to my local camera store tomorrow and see how these feel in the hands.

Yeah we don't take pics with our feet so as archaic as it is I do also base it around what I enjoy having in my hands. Some people might not think much about build quality, but it's still a very important attribute of a camera in my opinion. I do my best to baby my stuff, but you can't prevent every single knock. And have fun with it, you'll be surprised what you gravitate towards just by physically picking up the camera and taking test shots and going through menus.
hEist
Member
(01-10-2017, 02:12 PM)
finally, had some minutes to edit some of the pictures from last vacation.






Originally Posted by brerwolfe

I'm in Maui for work this week and decided to go on a whale watching trip yesterday and it was ridiculous. Only cost $35 for a 2-hour tour. Ended up taking over 500 photos. So awesome.

jealous!
Last edited by hEist; 01-10-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Team Jones
Member
(01-10-2017, 08:19 PM)
Team Jones's Avatar
+Winters


+Summers


+Autumns
Last edited by Team Jones; 01-10-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: the fall.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-10-2017, 08:24 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar
From a shoot from yesterday:

DSC_5727 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5742 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5790 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5759 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5762 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5628-2 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5661-2 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5700-2 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-10-2017 at 08:38 PM.
brerwolfe
Member
(01-11-2017, 04:09 AM)
brerwolfe's Avatar
Watch for those nose shadows in the 1st, 2nd and 4th photos!
jongkookie
Member
(01-11-2017, 04:12 AM)
jongkookie's Avatar


Another quick shot with my Nikon 50mm 1.4 as I haven't been able to use it on people yet lol.

Interestingly enough, Lightroom already has a lens correction preset for it built-in so that's pretty cool.

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

From a shoot from yesterday:

The only thing I can really say about it is to watch the shadows if you can.

The way the light hits her nose and creates a big shadow is pretty unflattering. It's kinda alright on the 2nd picture coz her smile takes away your attention from that huge dark spot under her right eye, but on the 4th one... idk man. The bright spot under her right eye that forms a very smooth curve/cone/whatever is pretty distracting imo.

Beyond that, the rest are pretty good!
JadedWriter
Member
(01-11-2017, 12:03 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by brerwolfe

Watch for those nose shadows in the 1st, 2nd and 4th photos!

I had no flash stand and couldn't raise or lower the position of it so it was pretty much under her face area. I probably should have lowered the power of the flash before hand but I didn't notice the harsh shadows till after the dang shoot. I also double checked my settings and my iso was probably way too damn high at 500. I had some other pics at iso 64 that don't have as much shadow cutting across her face. I boosted the exposure in post and it's a much better image...I just didn't like how she looked as much and I switched my settings back after seeing how under exposed she was.
DSC_5784 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
The third pic is at iso 64 which is why the shadows aren't as severe. This flash shit's a work in progress yeesh. I might have to just use less iso with the off camera flash stuff and just let the flash compensate as well as just boost the exposure in post.
Last edited by JadedWriter; 01-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-11-2017, 09:38 PM)
captive's Avatar
Bajan Fire & Ice by Billy York, on Flickr

thoroughly testing the sigma "weather sealing"
opticalmace
Member
(01-11-2017, 09:45 PM)
opticalmace's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

Bajan Fire & Ice by Billy York, on Flickr

thoroughly testing the sigma "weather sealing"

Wow, gorgeous! Asking as a novice, how did you get such vivid oranges/blues?
JadedWriter
Member
(01-11-2017, 09:47 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by captive

Bajan Fire & Ice by Billy York, on Flickr

thoroughly testing the sigma "weather sealing"

GOT DAMN! Sigma lenses aren't weather sealed though.
Hispanicguy
Member
(01-11-2017, 09:50 PM)
Been playing around with the a6000 I bought a week ago.









Apparently there's no option for bbcode for Flickr on mobile. Tried the site and the app.
Last edited by Hispanicguy; 01-12-2017 at 12:16 AM.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-11-2017, 09:52 PM)
JadedWriter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hispanicguy

Been playing around with the a6000 I bought a week ago.








Still a ton of learning to do. Will be picking up the book in the OP next week.

You guys have some awesome photos, btw.

Fix your links.
theepicoftyler
Member
(01-11-2017, 09:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Hispanicguy

Been playing around with the a6000 I bought a week ago.








Still a ton of learning to do. Will be picking up the book in the OP next week.

You guys have some awesome photos, btw.

If you go to the share tab on your photos page, you can find a section for "BBCode" and use that to share your photos here.
Dr.Horrible
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:20 AM)
Dr.Horrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hispanicguy


Apparently there's no option for bbcode for Flickr on mobile. Tried the site and the app.

Yeah, I hate that.
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
(01-12-2017, 12:39 AM)
captive's Avatar

Originally Posted by opticalmace

Wow, gorgeous! Asking as a novice, how did you get such vivid oranges/blues?

sunrise & sunset is the best time for landscapes.
Long exposure, exposed for the water, not the sky, then brought everything back down in post.
And the fact that the water in barbados really is green/blue and the sunset was really red.

Shoot in raw to adjust white balance after the fact. Whenever you point your camera at the sun its going to try and make that "cool" instead of actually be orange/red.

Originally Posted by JadedWriter

GOT DAMN! Sigma lenses aren't weather sealed though.

i know, that was the joke, hence the quotes. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Was soaked from my shoulders down the tripod, camera and lens were pretty wet. Not 20 minutes before the waves were calm and we had my son out in the water. Then i have my tripod setup and all these big waves come out of nowhere, they were going over the rocks in this picture and pushing me and the tripod around, i kept having to reset the tripod. Pretty much every photo after this one has water spots from the front element.
JadedWriter
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:16 AM)
JadedWriter's Avatar
Damn. I'm way more scared than you are about my stuff getting wet.
theepicoftyler
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:48 AM)

Originally Posted by captive

i know, that was the joke, hence the quotes. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Was soaked from my shoulders down the tripod, camera and lens were pretty wet. Not 20 minutes before the waves were calm and we had my son out in the water. Then i have my tripod setup and all these big waves come out of nowhere, they were going over the rocks in this picture and pushing me and the tripod around, i kept having to reset the tripod. Pretty much every photo after this one has water spots from the front element.

I know that feel.

This is my "Icarus flew too close to the sun" moment from a few months ago in Lake Michigan. Everything got wet, but nothing was damaged.

I think people underestimate the sturdiness of their equipment.

Thread Tools