• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Hoho for breakfast
(01-11-2017, 09:52 PM)
I had next to nothing when I moved out at 18, but I got a job, an apartment, and then bought a house and now have a family of my own. I'm not saying it was the best thing I could have done (particularly financially) but I couldn't have imagined living with my parents for too much longer than I did.

I was reading something and it said that up to 5 years after college was an acceptable time to move out of your parents house, and that the average age is 27? What? Is this real?

Is that ok with you as a parent? If you're a young adult is that how long you plan on staying with mom and dad?

Edit: dammit. I said "your kids" in the title as if everyone was a parent. I meant to ask everyone what they think is an acceptable age.
The Lamonster
(01-11-2017, 09:52 PM)
18-23 min/max IMO
Kyne
(01-11-2017, 09:53 PM)
Whenever they are ready/you're sick of them. Times have changed.
Weevilone
(01-11-2017, 09:53 PM)
I have a family member that recently married a dude that was still living with parents in his mid 30's. Craziness.
The_Kid
(01-11-2017, 09:54 PM)
Uh its a lit later than it used to be lmao. Jobs are harder to find, places to live are more expensive. People shouldn't feel ashamed to like, have a roof over their head without struggling paycheck to paycheck.

I could have moved out when I went to college at 19, or I could have stayed home like I did and saved like upwards of what, 40-50 thousand in living expenses easy.
_Nemo
When you can afford to. In this day and age of sky rocketing cost of living, setting an age limit is stupid.
Laevateinn
City living is so expensive and wages are so low in many places that I am not at all surprised that people are more likely to live at home. Expect that number to continue to rise.
theepicoftyler
I was allowed to live with my parents as long as I was in school. I moved out a handful of months after graduating when I got my first 'real' job. I chose to take advantage of that because I wanted to save money. I was 26 when I moved out.

I will probably offer the same deal to my children.
entremet

Originally Posted by The Lamonster

18-23 min/max IMO

18? Kids going away to college ain't counting as moving out no matter what you guys think.
Kthulhu
(01-11-2017, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Kid

Uh its a lit later than it used to be lmao. Jobs are harder to find, places to live are more expensive. People shouldn't feel ashamed to like, have a roof over their head without struggling paycheck to paycheck.

Plus moving out at 18 is an American thing. In Europe the average age is in the late 20s range.
Transistor
(01-11-2017, 09:56 PM)

Originally Posted by _Nemo

When you can afford to. In this day and age of sky rocketing cost of living, setting an age limit is stupid.

Exactly this. I was lucky enough to have a job that paid well enough and I moved out when I was 18 into a house with some roommates.
Mr-Joker
Other people suffering isn't my problem and I don't care about it.

Originally Posted by The_Kid

This pretty much, I live with my parents not because I want to but because I have no choice as I am currently looking for a job, while writing a book and volunteering at a charity shop.
Joyful
quit making neogaf topics about me dad
AuthenticM

18-23 min/max IMO

I think that era is gone. With the economy in the shitter, people are going to move out of their parents' house much later than ever. It's probably going to be this way for decades.
HStallion
As soon as they can walk. Welcome to the real world.
Sobriquet

Originally Posted by entremet

18? Kids going away to college ain't counting as moving out no matter what you guys think.

Why not?
TheAbsolution
(01-11-2017, 09:57 PM)
When they are finished with school & can reasonably afford to move out on their own. Preferably mid 20s but could be longer.
Greddleok
(01-11-2017, 09:57 PM)

Err...why not? I had a job and a rented apartment. I visited my family, but I spent the vast majority of my time in my university city.
ssolitare
(01-11-2017, 09:58 PM)
It really depends on your relationship, their readiness and much more. So hopefully after mine go to college they won't return, but that's just an ideal. I could have a terrible relationship with my kid late teens and they move out at 17, or the job market it shit and they need to stay until 30.
Femto.

18-23 min/max IMO

Yeah, no.

That isn't as feasible now, especially in California, as it used to be.

Originally Posted by TheAbsolution

When they are finished with school & can reasonably afford to move out on their own. Preferably mid 20s but could be longer.

This is more sensible.
entremet

Originally Posted by Sobriquet

Why not?

Because the majority of these scenarios are not true independence. Parents are paying for college and kids usually come back for summers and holidays.

It doesn't count. It's some faux independence that people use to feel better.

However, there are exceptions of kids who truly move out and are independent at 18, but those are rarer.
Watevaman
I couldn't move back to the area where my parents live without moving I with them and I'm 26. Shit is expensive nowadays. So I think a big part of it comes down to where you live.
Robdraggoo
(01-11-2017, 09:59 PM)
18 to 20.

All I know for sure is in 5-6 years I'll finally have my game room. And in 14 years, I'll have 2
Wag
When they can walk.
Hoho for breakfast

Originally Posted by Joyful

quit making neogaf topics about me dad

lol

Originally Posted by Wag

When they can walk.

Oh come on that's pushing it. I let mine learn to tie his shoes first so he doesn't trip into oncoming traffic.
Last edited by Hoho for breakfast; 01-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Bruce Springsteen
When they're ready
rhandino
How does anyone enforce this? Do you kick your son/daughter out of your house when "they are ready" even if they don't have where to live or the means to do so for themselves even if its not their fault (lack of jobs, jobs available gave them not enough to live on their own, etc...)
Nothing1016
(01-11-2017, 10:00 PM)
Currently in my last year of college (5 year plan :P) and my parents have said, as long as I'm working and/or going to school, they will provide a roof over my head until I'm financially capable of moving out. I also help them by paying for the Internet/TV and the Cell phone bill.

The reason they do this is because they want us, their kids, to be more successful and not have to struggle like they did. They were young parents who had to work to survive and pay for bills. Lived paycheck to paycheck just to make sure we kids were fed.
Seirith
(01-11-2017, 10:01 PM)
I am not a parent but if I was I would want my kid to stay home until they had finished school, had a job and had saved some money. I moved out at 21, I wish I had stayed home longer but my now husband and I wanted to live together and we were done with college. We could have been more financially prepared if we had waited longer.
smisk
I went to college, moved back in after I graduated while I was 22, and stayed there for 2 more years before moving out. It was a great way to save up money. As long as the parents are cool with it, I don't see why there's a definite date you have to move.
Lexxism
They should leave whenever they feel like to.
KillerMan91
Pretty much norm that all people move out from their parents at the age of 18-20 here in Finland. After you finish high school (or vocational school). It can take year more with men as we still have consription service.
Lebon14
(01-11-2017, 10:02 PM)

Originally Posted by _Nemo

+1. Still living with my mom out of, pretty much obligation. Otherwise, I wouldn't only be able to afford an appartment and food (no clothes, no car, no games, no internet) as I'm on welfare and there's no job coz I've been labeled. *sigh*

If I had kids, I would do pretty much the same. If they wanted to stay, I would be open to that. Same for going and live on your own.
TheTylerRob

Because the majority of these scenarios are not true independence. Parents are paying for college and kids usually come back for summers and holidays.

It doesn't count. It's some faux independence that people use to feel better.

However, there are exceptions of kids who truly move out and are independent at 18, but those are rarer.

Plenty of people are completely independent through college. They usually work 25-40 hours a week and have a miserable time getting through school.
darkazcura
As long as they are legitimately trying their best to improve their lives, I don't see why they couldn't stay as long as they wanted until they were ready. That's the way my culture is, though (American, but Indian heritage). The idea of moving out completely from your parents between the ages 18-21 always blew me away. I just finally moved out after getting married, and I was 26. I was ready to move out a year or two ago, but my wife's parents would have never been alright with her moving in with me before marriage, even at our ages, haha.
M52B28

Originally Posted by AuthenticM

I think that era is gone. With the economy in the shitter, people are going to move out of their parents' house much later than ever. It's probably going to be this way for decades.

People who still think that people should move out of their parent's home at 18+ are extremely out of touch.
Randolph Freelander
I finished college just before my 24th birthday (took a year off after high school), moved out of my parents' house at 25. Living at home during college (*spent first 3 semesters on campus) was simply a smarter, more affordable option. In that same vein, I didn't move out until I was confident I could afford to live alone (no roommate wanted). I felt no pressure from either of my parents to move out any sooner than I did.

Move out when you are confident you can afford to do it, not when you feel societal pressure to do so.
H.Protagonist
XSEED
(01-11-2017, 10:03 PM)
Depends on the kid, really. I'm hoping mine has some drive and ambition and leaves when she goes to college and/or embarks on whatever trade/study/career she's interested in. If she needs a bit of help, I'd be okay with the 18-21 range as long as she's applying herself and making an effort. If there's no effort, I'm not going to enable her and just let her languish about, though. So 18-21-ish, I'd say.
somuchwater
I'm nearly 40 and I live at home... but I fucked up my life.
balladofwindfishes
When they feel they are ready emotionally and financially to live on their own.
Phu
As soon as they are financially stable enough to.
Gridlock
(01-11-2017, 10:04 PM)
When they're ready.

My kids are going to college. I want them to be able to focus on that. Once they graduate I'll give them time to start their career and ti build a savings.

If they don't go to college they better have a damn good reason and have a plan to move out sooner then they would if they were in college.

If they do nothing with their lives after high school and intervesions doesn't work they better be applying to McDonald's and looking for a apartment or something.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
I'd say to go to college/18. Then post-college if they need help still let them move in until finding full time work.

I went to college at 18, graduated in the 2008 recession, so moved in with my parents for about 9 months until I landed my first job.

I'd say 25 is the max age.
Prost
Just depends on the parents. You'll get a ton of different answers. Personally, if I had kids, I wouldn't want them around much longer after graduating college. I would expect them to be adults, get a job, work, find their own arrangements.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
They can stay at home as long as it's in the financial best interests for the both of us.
Jonnax
I live out. 24.

But I live in a room in someone else's home because that's all I can afford.

If I had a job near my parent's home, I'd live with them.

Because rent is high, property prices are 10x+ average salary.
It sucks.
Galang
(01-11-2017, 10:05 PM)
These threads on the subject always get messy. There's no hard rule imo. I moved out when I was 18 and moved back home at 23. Been home for a few years now, but I definitely regret rushing into moving out as I realized what I studied wasn't what I wanted to do or even practical to get work. It's rough out there for many reasons and not just expense-wise. My kids could stay as long as they wanted as long as they weren't doing nothing
Auctopus
Banned
(01-11-2017, 10:05 PM)
It's becoming tougher and tougher. Where I grew up, the market has got so expensive that if any of my friends want to move out (approaching their mid-twenties), they will have to re-locate to another county/job etc.

I mean, it's not impossible but nowhere near as easy as before. Not to mention the UK is about to reach a full on housing crisis.
Vandiger
(01-11-2017, 10:06 PM)
When they are financially stable?
Hippopuncher12
(01-11-2017, 10:06 PM)
When they are ready to do so. I will happily allow my children to live with me as long as they need to.