• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jeronimo Jones
(01-11-2017, 10:06 PM)
It depends on their plans and progress towards independence (securing employment or continuing their education). They will be aware of the expectations.
Matty77
(01-11-2017, 10:06 PM)
I'm of the belief immediate family can live together as long as they like and take care of each other as long as everyone's okay with it.

One thing I don't like about the American culture is the whole you have to move out/put elderly in a home or your a failure mentality. And I am not saying this as someone who never left home I was on my own from 17 to my mid thirties when I moved back in with my mom because she is elderly with health issues.
entremet
(01-11-2017, 10:07 PM)

Originally Posted by TheTylerRob

Plenty of people are completely independent through college. They usually work 25-40 hours a week and have a miserable time getting through school.

At that age group? Data says otherwise:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3720688.html

And these are graduates:

https://thinkprogress.org/half-of-co...128#.rllegqfra

Half of new college graduates are relying on their parents to give them money even though just 6 percent are unemployed, a recent study finds.
The study, from the University of Arizona’s Take Charge America Institute, tracked 1,010 students over five years and found that students are relying heavily on parents or partners for money.

Yet in the two years after students in the study graduated, around half said they had full-time jobs, 20 percent worked part time or were self-employed, 18 percent were studying at graduate school (with half working while studying), 7 percent weren’t seeking work, and just 6 percent were unemployed. So if most graduates are finding jobs, why are they depending so heavily on parents?

perfectchaos007
(01-11-2017, 10:07 PM)
I'm grateful that my parents let me move back in with them after failing to find a decent paying job. I'm still applying for 2-3 jobs per week and once I get a job that pays $40K/yr or more I'll be able to move out. I'm 28 btw
TheWasTheJoke
(01-11-2017, 10:08 PM)
Many kids where I live can't move out till their mid 20's because of the the exhorbitant cost of housing.
Lulubop
(01-11-2017, 10:08 PM)
Even if I could afford too, I don't think I'd want to. I live in the most desirable part of NYC and I pay like no rent.
Sgt.Pepper
remove your tag from my GAF account
(01-11-2017, 10:10 PM)
When they secure a job that can actually pay bills. I ain't kicking my (future) children out so they can be miserable and spending whatever they earn only on rent.
SwiftDeath
New Creation of good paying career level jobs seems incredibly low, housing prices while having plummeted in 2008 are still incredibly high compared to average wages compared to say 30 years ago.

There is a serious problem with the middle class right now where it is exceedingly difficult for a large portion of people to buy their own place
GustyGardens
There's no age. You, or anyone planning on moving out, should only do so when they're financially stable enough to do so. I would never ask my children to move out because they're at that age, that just seems dumb.

I would, however, ask that they contribute to whatever bills and payments we may have, once they've started working.
Maximo
(01-11-2017, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by The Lamonster

18-23 min/max IMO

Guess im fucked.
WordsintheWater
(01-11-2017, 10:12 PM)
Just turned 30, still at home. In my culture it's nothing unusual about someone that age living with their parents. I've had a steady job for 8 months now that pays decent and have been looking at places, and even in 8 months my situation has allowed me to save a good amount of money for my future. So I would have to say when I do have kids I would want them to stay as long as they need to. I know how helpful it is.
Last edited by WordsintheWater; 01-11-2017 at 10:18 PM.
chaosblade
(01-11-2017, 10:13 PM)
An age limit is a crazy thing to enforce, especially for someone who is fairly young now and won't have a 20 year old kid for another decade or two. Particularly in America with the way things are going, kids are going to be living with their parents longer since the cost of living increases continue to outpace wage growth, and automation is going to hurt the job market tremendously in the coming decades.
How About No
As soon as they hatch they're on their own to fend off the snakes. Imma just be chillin' on a beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4IGofM
Lord Ghirahim
9 months of gestation, then you're on your own.
witchedwiz
Depends..
Would you rather them move out with their first job, or let them save some additional cash for a few years?
I mean take for example my family..
Large two floors house.. My parents can stay on One, and my sisters can bring undisturbed their SO...

I left home myself pretty much in the age range you suggested, but i got a Free house from my dad to ice the cake.. An house which i barely used since i moved 900km away for my career slightly after...

Honestly when it's my turn with kids, it will depends whether their job allows them to live on their own and save something.. If not, i'd either help them (pray their rent for some time) or suggest they keep living with me and their mother.. Maybe i'd be too much of a lenient father :)
supernormal
(01-11-2017, 10:14 PM)
It's a cultural thing as well. In my country people usually live with their parents until they get married and are ready to start a family. It's a rare thing to see a young bachelor living on their own.

I'm currently 28 and I still live with my parents, even though I make more money than both of them combined. I live in one of the best neighborhoods, and I feel like I would only get my own place when I can afford buying one here.
iavi
(01-11-2017, 10:14 PM)
As long as they're driven on a plan, whenever they're financially able to. Blanket requirements don't work
BladeoftheImmortal
Banned
(01-11-2017, 10:16 PM)

Originally Posted by TheTylerRob

Plenty of people are completely independent through college. They usually work 25-40 hours a week and have a miserable time getting through school.

Maybe in the past.
jonno394
(01-11-2017, 10:18 PM)
When they are working and earn enough money that their rent amounts to no more than 40% of their income.
Kill3r7
(01-11-2017, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Vandiger

When they are financially stable?

Ditto.

No point in moving out just for the sake of moving out. They will get to experience life on their own when they are in college. When they are ready and able to move out they will do so.
bananafactory
(01-11-2017, 10:21 PM)
I moved out at 25 and that was perfect for me.

I finished highschool at 18, upgraded some courses until I was 19, then was in college until I was 22. I worked part time during school and summers to pay my tuition and when I finished my program I was 100% debt free, never had to take a student loan. I stayed at home for 3 more years until 25 in order to pay off my car and save up a down payment, at which point I purchased my first home on my own.

Of course everyone has a different path but I don't think there's a 'right' age. Many people are in college/university far longer than I was so 25-30 seems like a fine ballpark.
RinsFury
If they're happy living at home and the parents don't mind, who says they should ever have to move out? I'm in my 30's and will be moving back in with mine due to disability and financial reasons, but I will still be contributing to the household. I see no shame in that at all.
gutter_trash
Children who get along with their parents should stay as long as they lend a helping hand around the house.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(01-11-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

I'm grateful that my parents let me move back in with them after failing to find a decent paying job. I'm still applying for 2-3 jobs per week and once I get a job that pays $40K/yr or more I'll be able to move out. I'm 28 btw

This is me right now. I even lived on my own for a while but had to move back. I just got a nice interview for a well paying job, but it's in a month. Doesn't guarantee anything but I am hoping beyond hope I ace it.

To answer the topic, this is how I see it:

Ideal:

18-22, go off to college, get a job, become self sufficient

23-27, if finding a good job is hard

28-beyond if things are really hard/life is turned upside down

If I were a parent, I'd never kick my kids out of the house unless they became drug addicts with no job or something. As long as they're doing their best, I think it's ok to live at home. There's also the fact that some people's parents are single/and or old with no real friends, and their kids become their social support. I have a friend who's 30 who is afraid to move out because he's all his mom has at home.

This is from an American perspective, by the way
Subpar Scrub
(01-11-2017, 10:24 PM)
I'm 21 and still at home, but my parents like having me around to do yard work and stuff, plus I pay board sooooo... idk.

Probably mid to late twenties. Thirties might be pushing it slightly.
OldMan
(01-11-2017, 10:25 PM)
Didn't Brad Pitt live with his parents until age 30 or did I not read that on GAF either way kids got to get the fuck out.
OnionPowder
(01-11-2017, 10:25 PM)
I moved out when I was 18 in 2011. I was lucky and had a decent paying job. Just now 5 years later, I wouldn't have been able to move out in the same scenario.

For reference, the 1 bedroom I rented in 2011 was for $650. Same place is currently going for over $1200 last I checked over a year ago.
texasairhead101
(01-11-2017, 10:26 PM)
Depends on if the household can support it and the person is ready and willing. If I could have tolerated living in a small town at my dads I would have to save money and continue school right away. a case by case situation.
Meatfist
(01-11-2017, 10:26 PM)
They're welcome to stay until they can afford to live on their own, unless they do drugs or some shit
Phu
(01-11-2017, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Sgt.Pepper

When they secure a job that can actually pay bills. I ain't kicking my (future) children out so they can be miserable and spending whatever they earn only on rent.

Seriously, why dedicate at least 18 years of work raising a kid just to kick 'em out and let them flounder about?
Kuro Madoushi
(01-11-2017, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by chaosblade

An age limit is a crazy thing to enforce, especially for someone who is fairly young now and won't have a 20 year old kid for another decade or two. Particularly in America with the way things are going, kids are going to be living with their parents longer since the cost of living increases continue to outpace wage growth, and automation is going to hurt the job market tremendously in the coming decades.

Seems a lot of the older generation folk seem to forget this. The economy and culture isn't what it used to be, but societal norms haven't caught up to the change, but it's how things were for them growing up.
Hoho for breakfast
(01-11-2017, 10:28 PM)
I didnt say it in the OP but personally I think up to 25 is fine if they're in college/looking for a career. If they're not going to go to college then I think anything over 23 is probably too old to still be living off someone else.
How About No
(01-11-2017, 10:29 PM)
The real question is when do the parents move out to a nursing home
ssolitare
(01-11-2017, 10:30 PM)

Originally Posted by bananafactory

I moved out at 25 and that was perfect for me.

I finished highschool at 18, upgraded some courses until I was 19, then was in college until I was 22. I worked part time during school and summers to pay my tuition and when I finished my program I was 100% debt free, never had to take a student loan. I stayed at home for 3 more years until 25 in order to pay off my car and save up a down payment, at which point I purchased my first home on my own.

Of course everyone has a different path but I don't think there's a 'right' age. Many people are in college/university far longer than I was so 25-30 seems like a fine ballpark.

I like your path.

Me I moved out at 17 after subsequently maxing out a credit card paying rent for my dysfunctional family, and still getting evicted. Went to college at 20 while working f/t, stayed 2 years and was put out at 22 due to some interesting situations. Went through a phase of good and/or dead-end jobs before getting frustrated and getting readmitted after getting the money required to settle with my university (CFPB is awesome btw). Readmitted at 26, finished at 28 working full-time throughout. Still don't have a home yet because I'm catching up on my debt mistakes/stashing tons in savings.

Fuck all that shit, but still made it.
Last edited by ssolitare; 01-11-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Into the Light
(01-11-2017, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by theepicoftyler

I was allowed to live with my parents as long as I was in school. I moved out a handful of months after graduating when I got my first 'real' job. I chose to take advantage of that because I wanted to save money. I was 26 when I moved out.

I will probably offer the same deal to my children.

Yeah this sounds good. My brothers 26 and lives at home while hes in LAW school.
itwasTuesday
(01-11-2017, 10:31 PM)
As long as they're making an acceptable effort to something greater.
Wag
(01-11-2017, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Hoho for breakfast

lol

Oh come on that's pushing it. I let mine learn to tie his shoes first so he doesn't trip into oncoming traffic.

I put the shoes on them and push them out the door.
jmdajr
(01-11-2017, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Bruce Springsteen

When they're ready

Subpar Scrub

Originally Posted by itwasTuesday

As long as they're making an acceptable effort to something greater.

Dad I promise I'll be MLG one day!
Diddy Kong

Originally Posted by The Lamonster

18-23 min/max IMO

neither of these in New York.
KorrZ
My parents always told me that I could stay at home as long as I wanted as long as I was either going to school or working. I ended up moving out at 23 when I was a few years into a stable career and had my school debt/car paid off.

I would definitely do the same with my kids. As long as you aren't just sitting around the house doing nothing there is no reason to rush out when you aren't ready financially or just in terms of maturity.
C.Mongler
(01-11-2017, 10:34 PM)
I mean it's totally situational, and times and feasibility have definitely changed in the past 30 years, but I'd say between 18-23 would be ideal range, with 25 being my "Uhhhhh so what's your plan for gettin' out of here" late end age. But if my kid did everything they could to get a higher education and was tangibly committed to getting their career off the ground, I wouldn't necessarily shove them out the door at any point. I might start charging variable degrees of rent at a certain point, but yeah, it all depends man.
darscot
Banned
(01-11-2017, 10:34 PM)
I expect my kids will be gone after high school. They will go to university and I doubt they will go close to home. They might come home for summers and a few months when they are done but basically they are only crashing once high school is done.
itwasTuesday
(01-11-2017, 10:35 PM)

Originally Posted by RhynoTheStriker

Dad I promise I'll be MLG one day!

acceptable

edit: don't crush my dreams of father son fame and fortune in the fgc game tho
Last edited by itwasTuesday; 01-11-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Peltz
(01-11-2017, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by KorrZ

My parents always told me that I could stay at home as long as I wanted as long as I was either going to school or working. I ended up moving out at 23 when I was a few years into a stable career and had my school debt/car paid off.

I would definitely do the same with my kids. As long as you aren't just sitting around the house doing nothing there is no reason to rush out when you aren't ready financially or just in terms of maturity.

This. It also depends on what the relationship is as well between the parents and child. Some children are better off leaving early if the situation at home is bad.
Stallion Dan
(01-11-2017, 10:36 PM)
Late 20s at least the way UK is at the moment.
Zelenogorsk
(01-11-2017, 10:37 PM)
Soon after I turned 20 my dad came up to me and said "You're moving out"

I have a feeling he's enjoying his retirement more without me cramping his style.
Whales
Whenever they feel like they want to

I will never kick out my kids out of my home
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Originally Posted by M52B28

People who still think that people should move out of their parent's home at 18+ are extremely out of touch.

And also probably don't realize that the entire notion is not only pretty uniquely American, but only existed for about two generations. For the vast majority of human history, families have lived together in the same house.
Kthulhu
(01-11-2017, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by How About No

The real question is when do the parents move out to a nursing home

When they're old enough to get discounts.