• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Back-In-Black
Banned
(01-12-2017, 01:40 AM)
I, like many people, bite my nails. I have pretty much all my life. I haven't harmed my nails or fingers or anything through my biting over the years. I just groom them to an appropriate length, essentially preferring to bite my nails than to clip them with an actual clipper. However, what's crazy is whenever I actually stop to think about what I'm doing I suddenly realize how irresistible the urge is to bite my nails. Once my nails get to a certain length I basically HAVE to bite them or I start to go a little crazy. Even more puzzling is that I seem to derive a form of pleasure (no nothing sexual) the longer my nails are when I finally have to bit them.

Right now the nail on my left pinky finger is at that perfect length for biting and it's all I can think of. All I want to do is just bite that sucker. Anyone else on GAF a nail biter? Do you too find the urge irresistible? And, do you have any plans to stop?
How About No
(01-12-2017, 01:42 AM)
becuz they're so tasty

;>__>
Strimei
(01-12-2017, 01:43 AM)
I used to be a big nail biter. Couldn't stop myself.

Then I got braces as a teen and that stopped me real quick. I can't even imagine doing it now. Something about having all that metal junk on my teeth making it a tad more difficult and my teeth already aching from it stopped me.

I do enjoy clipping my nails though.
ColdPizza
(01-12-2017, 01:44 AM)
Yeah, and it sucks. Sometimes I do it without even realizing (like when working at the computer). I'm not like you tho, I've harmed my nails and cuticles to the point of bleeding, even occasionally infection. I don't know what to do. It seems to be stress and anxiety related. I notice sometimes when I'm out of town on vacation and relaxed I stop biting my nails.
'77 Shortbox
(01-12-2017, 01:46 AM)
I bite my nails to the point where if I cant bite the nails, I chew on the skin around them. Its gotten bad enough countless times that I leave myself bleeding because I tear away so much skin.

But I just. Can't. Stop.
QuantumSquid
(01-12-2017, 01:47 AM)

now nails gross you out

problem solved!
Back-In-Black
Banned
(01-12-2017, 01:48 AM)

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

Yeah, and it sucks. Sometimes I do it without even realizing (like when working at the computer). I'm not like you tho, I've harmed my nails and cuticles to the point of bleeding, even occasionally infection. I don't know what to do. It seems to be stress and anxiety related. I notice sometimes when I'm out of town on vacation and relaxed I stop biting my nails.

With me I don't think it is anxiety related but associated with my need for things to be orderly and clean. I'm the dude that always has a clean room or work space. The very idea of a long finger nail just bothers me to no end. I HAVE to correct it to an appropriate length. It's just like my need to have things on my desk at right angles.

Originally Posted by QuantumSquid

now nails gross you out

problem solved!

Wrong. That's something I would enjoy clipping down to a shorter length. I would gain satisfaction if my nails were that length knowing I would get to clip or bite them down.
Weetrick
I bit my nails my entire life. I've tried to stop many times, out of embarrassment, but never could. Then I got married and on my honeymoon I just stopped. Haven't bit them once since. It's been over a year.

It's weird having to clip them all the time but scratching my head feels amazing and they look so much better. I have no idea what switched over in my brain but the urge just went away.

Sorry I don't have better advice.
HeySeuss
I bite my cheeks and tongue. To each their own I guess. Wish I could stop but I can't. Dentist tells me that it makes me more susceptible to oral cancer and that still can't break the habit for me.
ColdPizza
(01-12-2017, 01:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Back-In-Black

With me I don't think it is anxiety related but associated with my need for things to be orderly and clean. I'm the dude that always has a clean room or work space. The very idea of a long finger nail just bothers me to no end. I HAVE to correct it to an appropriate length. It's just like my need to have things on my desk at right angles.

So why not carry some nail clippers with you?
wamberz1
Started using this:

And my biting has gone down drastically. I find I mostly do it absent mindedly, so it's a great reminder to stop.

Plus it makes me look FAB-U-LOUS
zero_suit
I will stop....someday.
ColdPizza
(01-12-2017, 01:50 AM)

Originally Posted by HeySeuss

I bite my cheeks and tongue. To each their own I guess. Wish I could stop but I can't. Dentist tells me that it makes me more susceptible to oral cancer and that still can't break the habit for me.

In addition to my nails, I also bite my cheeks. Not my tongue tho.
Herr Schwarz
(01-12-2017, 01:51 AM)
Former nail biter here. What helped for me was purchasing a nail file and keeping them immaculate.

It still gets you the same jollies as biting them, plus freshly filed nails smell nice too.
Knuckle Sandwich
Because it's the best. Why bother getting up and grabbing a nail clipper when you have your teeth right there?
Back-In-Black
Banned

Originally Posted by ColdPizza

So why not carry some nail clippers with you?

Not the same level of satisfaction. I like the feel of biting my nails.

Originally Posted by Knuckle Sandwich

Because it's the best. Why bother getting up and grabbing a nail clipper when you have your teeth right there?

EXACTLY.
Alcotholic
When my nails feel too long I bite them to an appropriate length, otherwise I am irritated by them all day. It legitimately annoys me and ends up being at the front of my thoughts. I don't carry around nail clippers, so it's the only option I have at the moment. It's not really a habit though. I don't feel like I have to bite my nails.
nintendork666
(01-12-2017, 01:53 AM)
I've never understood how people even start biting them
Shambala
(01-12-2017, 01:56 AM)
Don't forget to bite your nails in front of Gordie op.. enjoy ur trip
Nostremitus
(01-12-2017, 01:59 AM)
Oral fixation
Spoony Bob
(01-12-2017, 01:59 AM)
I've chewed my nails since I was a kid. I picked up a bottle of Mavala Stop and broke the habit in about 3 weeks. Stuff tastes horrid and is absurdly potent - make sure you aren't eating finger foods if you decide to use this to break the habit.
(01-12-2017, 02:02 AM)
I bite my nails instead of clipping them. That's the only time I ever bite them and I'm sure if I bought some nail clippers I would stop biting them.

My real bad habit is biting my lips, I pretty much bite them everyday, without even realising I'm doing it. I constantly have cracked lips but I just can't stop myself from biting them.
Teren_Kanan
(01-12-2017, 02:04 AM)
I bit my nails for nearly my entire life (32 now)

I've only really stopped in the last 2 years or so.. I'll say "slowed down" more than stopped.

I use a nail file (I bought a fancy metal one) now, and I completely grind my nails down to the point where I cannot grab them with my teeth. I keep the file next to my computer which is where i spend most of my time, so I will now absentmindedly file my nails while I'm sittin around. It has helped me from biting my nails, a lot. I still have the urge though, really bad sometimes. There are times I find myself picking at them with my teeth.

It's an ongoing process, but I've gotten a whole lot better about it since I started filing them down.
Back-In-Black
Banned
(01-12-2017, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by 11037

I bite my nails instead of clipping them. That's the only time I ever bite them and I'm sure if I bought some nail clippers I would stop biting them.

My real bad habit is biting my lips, I pretty much bite them everyday, without even realising I'm doing it. I constantly have cracked lips but I just can't stop myself from biting them.

I also bite my lips but it's because they crack and peel so much, especially in the winter. I keep telling myself I'll see a doctor about my lips but then don't.
EvetS
(01-12-2017, 02:07 AM)
Start smoking so that your fingers start to smell bad.
Darren870
(01-12-2017, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Herr Schwarz

Former nail biter here. What helped for me was purchasing a nail file and keeping them immaculate.

It still gets you the same jollies as biting them, plus freshly filed nails smell nice too.

Same. I stopped this way. When I don't have a nail file I'll get the urge. But having a nail file has helped so much.

I used to bite till it bled too.
GaryD
(01-12-2017, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by '77 Shortbox

I bite my nails to the point where if I cant bite the nails, I chew on the skin around them. Its gotten bad enough countless times that I leave myself bleeding because I tear away so much skin.

But I just. Can't. Stop.

Me too, though I'm better than I used to be
The Exploder
(01-12-2017, 02:19 AM)
When I was in elementary school I bit my nails, so in the morning my mom would paint them with a shiny nail polish that tasted like battery acid. Also she would hit me if she saw me biting them. I grew out of it when I was like 20.
Lucian Cat
Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
(01-12-2017, 02:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Strimei

I used to be a big nail biter. Couldn't stop myself.

Then I got braces as a teen and that stopped me real quick. I can't even imagine doing it now. Something about having all that metal junk on my teeth making it a tad more difficult and my teeth already aching from it stopped me.

I do enjoy clipping my nails though.

Same except I was a preteen. Can't get to them if there's metal in the way!
Mawnster
(01-12-2017, 02:25 AM)
I'm 23 and I've been biting my nails since... well, all my life. I must say, I didn't bite my nails because of pleasure or anything like that. I bit my nails because I always feel the need to do something with my hands, at all times. If I have nothing on my hands, they automatically go to my mouth. THAT is when I bite my nails.

Recently a friend of mine linked me to that thread about the Fidget Cube and I decided to buy one. I confess I bought one on AliExpress because they're 6-7 bucks, instead of the original that costs 20 bucks. Mainly because I thought the little device was overpriced as hell and because I had already tried EVERYTHING and it hadn't worked.

It arrived a month ago. So far so good.

cj_iwakura
(01-12-2017, 02:25 AM)
Nail polish. Seriously, you won't want to touch them.
HeySeuss
(01-12-2017, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Mawnster

I'm 23 and I've been biting my nails since... well, all my life. I must say, I didn't bite my nails because of pleasure or anything like that. I bit my nails because I always feel the need to do something with my hands, at all times. If I have nothing on my hands, my hands automatically go to my mouth. THAT is when I bite my nails.

Recently a friend of mine linked me to that thread about the Fidget Cube and I decided to buy one. I confess I bought one on AliExpress because they're 6-7 bucks, instead of the original that costs 20 bucks. Mainly because I thought the little device was overpriced as hell and because I had already tried EVERYTHING and it hadn't worked.

It arrived a month ago. So far so good.

Your ring and pinky finger nail are unusually small in comparison to your finger size and compared to your other 2 nails. Can't unsee
Shaanyboi
(01-12-2017, 02:29 AM)
I managed to stop biting my nails eventually. Just use clippers. Even if it isn't the same sensation, you just have to learn to force yourself into breaking that habit.
Mawnster
(01-12-2017, 02:31 AM)

Your ring and pinky finger nail are unusually small in comparison to your finger size and compared to your other 2 nails. Can't unsee

Holy shit you're right... And I just checked and my other hand is just the same. Fuck, now I'm self-conscious about my newly acquired nails :(
brianjones
(01-12-2017, 02:31 AM)
such a gross habit.. pls stop guys
NoblesseOblige
(01-12-2017, 02:32 AM)
I only bite my nails to trim them.
Septimus Prime
(01-12-2017, 02:32 AM)

Originally Posted by How About No

becuz they're so tasty

;>__>

Barajas_201
(01-12-2017, 02:33 AM)
such a gross habit.. pls stop guys x2
HeySeuss
(01-12-2017, 02:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Mawnster

Holy shit you're right... And I just checked and my other hand is just the same. Fuck, now I'm self-conscious about my newly acquired nails :(

Sorry bro. I'd want to know if I were you lol
B4s5C
(01-12-2017, 02:34 AM)

Originally Posted by brianjones

such a gross habit.. pls stop guys

Its only gross if society tells you its gross. Biting your nails is the ultimate form of rebellion.
Mesousa
(01-12-2017, 02:35 AM)
Cause when it gets infected it hurts like a bitch, but you always forget it after a month so you start biting again.
Salty Rice
(01-12-2017, 02:35 AM)
Do it all my life.

No regrets.
loaf of bread
(01-12-2017, 02:37 AM)
Never bit my nails. Maybe I have stronger nails or something but I don't understand how you can trim your nails through biting? I mean when I use clippers it takes a decent 2-3 hard presses to actually break through, I don't understand how I could trim by biting?

I do tend to bite my thumb/pointer finger nail though; but not in the "nail biting" way, just literally biting down on the entire finger way and just leave it there. My hands are seriously beautiful though, like I don't think I've ever met anyone with better hands then mine, they're just flawless.
Advocatus Diaboli
(01-12-2017, 02:41 AM)
Have done this all my life. I wish my mother had actually smacked me or tried to make me stop when I was a kid. For a while, I was doing quite well; and then, after my deployment to Afghanistan, I think I just normalized and internalized nail-biting as a stress reliever.

Whenever I'm around other people, I have absolutely no desire or inclination. When I'm alone, it fills the time. When I'm stressed, it's even worse. Nothing I've ever tried has worked.

I want more than anything to stop, but I can't. My fingers are always moving, and it's purely an unconscious thing.
Tomita
(01-12-2017, 02:49 AM)

... What if you're a lip biter? ):

OP, I am not a nail biter, but besides making them taste gross with nail polish or use the file, maybe start chewing gum to make your mouth preoccupied?
Kisaya
(01-12-2017, 03:02 AM)
My partner can't stop doing this. It helped a little bit when he started painting his nails, but he couldn't keep up with it. I'm just going to force him to get acrylic nails or gel polish them.
CesspoolofHatred
(01-12-2017, 03:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Salty Rice

Do it all my life.

No regrets.

zeemumu
(01-12-2017, 03:23 AM)
This could be you, OP

Weevilone
(01-12-2017, 03:23 AM)
My 11 year old son does this. I really, really want him to stop.

Biggest thing for me is he's our biggest germ ingress for the family because his hands always have to be in his mouth. We can be in the most disgusting environment, doesn't matter.. hands all over everything and in his mouth immediately.
ubique
(01-12-2017, 03:46 AM)
So do you swallow the tiny nails you bite, or do you spit em out where innocent people walk around thinking it's safe

Don't your nails' remains and fingertips get really damp and weak due to saliva digesting them all the time

I'll return with more questions