• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Back-In-Black
Banned
(01-12-2017, 08:15 AM)

Originally Posted by ubique

So do you swallow the tiny nails you bite, or do you spit em out where innocent people walk around thinking it's safe

Don't your nails' remains and fingertips get really damp and weak due to saliva digesting them all the time

I'll return with more questions

1) Spit them out and throw them away. The same thing any person would do if they clipped them instead.

2) No, I've not noticed anything about my finger nails or tips being weak or damp.
Fliesen
(01-12-2017, 08:33 AM)
it's practical. And unless you overdo it (to a degree where you hurt yourself / get infections) i don't see why not.

I do it when i'm bored, i do it when i'm stressed. It's preferable to smoking, it's like ... the most innocent bad habit anyone could have, really :/
Santiako
(01-12-2017, 09:06 AM)
I bit my nails for about 25 years, but as a new year promise to myself in 2012 I stopped. It was hard at first, but after the first month or so, I never had the urge again. My fingers have looked much better ever since.
Back-In-Black
Banned
(01-12-2017, 09:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Fliesen

it's practical. And unless you overdo it (to a degree where you hurt yourself / get infections) i don't see why not.

I do it when i'm bored, i do it when i'm stressed. It's preferable to smoking, it's like ... the most innocent bad habit anyone could have, really :/

I'm not suggesting it is a super bad habit or that I plan to stop I'm just surprised how irresistible the urge is to me. Makes me question free will and shit.
Fliesen
(01-12-2017, 09:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Back-In-Black

I'm not suggesting it is a super bad habit or that I plan to stop I'm just surprised how irresistible the urge is to me. Makes me question free will and shit.

Well, you can always just not do it, but whenever you feel the urge to nibble on your digits, the prospect of instant gratification simply outweighs the downsides. Because the downsides are negligible. :)
Subpar Scrub
(01-12-2017, 09:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Salty Rice

Do it all my life.

No regrets.

I don't know how to avatar quote.
elmars369
(01-12-2017, 09:36 AM)
I have so many of these nervous tics I've lost count. The worst one is probably eyebrow scratching, it's a lot more noticeable than nail biting.
reptilescorpio
(01-12-2017, 10:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Mawnster

I'm 23 and I've been biting my nails since... well, all my life. I must say, I didn't bite my nails because of pleasure or anything like that. I bit my nails because I always feel the need to do something with my hands, at all times. If I have nothing on my hands, they automatically go to my mouth. THAT is when I bite my nails.

Recently a friend of mine linked me to that thread about the Fidget Cube and I decided to buy one. I confess I bought one on AliExpress because they're 6-7 bucks, instead of the original that costs 20 bucks. Mainly because I thought the little device was overpriced as hell and because I had already tried EVERYTHING and it hadn't worked.

It arrived a month ago. So far so good.

Yep fidget cube is great. My son chews the tips of his fingers until they bleed everywhere, been much better with the cube.
Kaswa101
(01-12-2017, 10:35 AM)

Originally Posted by nintendork666

I've never understood how people even start biting them

Redders
(01-12-2017, 10:43 AM)
Pretty sure I've always bitten my nails however now I just do it to trim them down to an appropriate length. I don't really feel an urge to bite them unless I notice they are getting a bit longer.

When I was younger I would do it too short and they would get sore and I soon realized not to bite them that much but I've never experienced bleeding from it, sounds brutal.
ShiroAmakusa
(01-12-2017, 11:05 AM)
Oh boy, this one was a nasty habit.

I replaced it with filing my nails instead of biting/chewing on them. The sense of satisfaction when you look at your neatly groomed nails is great and the process of filing is oddly satisfactory as well. It also keeps your fingers busy in situations where you'd chew on them otherwise. I always have a file with me. :)
Nightbird
(01-12-2017, 11:12 AM)
I usually let one nail (most of the time the one on my little left finger) grow a little longer than the others.

I clip the others with a nail clipper, and bite that one. If the nail is bitten off, i make it look clean with a nail clipper.
BLOODED_hands
(01-12-2017, 11:21 AM)
I don't bite or chew my nails but I do bite and chew the skin around my nails. People think I'm biting or chewing my nails when I'm not doing that at all, lol.

I just need something to do. My hands need to be busy most of the time >_>
MicH
(01-12-2017, 11:21 AM)
I used to bite my nails all the time. Then I went to the military for 4 months and my nails were always so gross from mud and god knows what that I just immediately stopped and haven't done it since
Pastulio
(01-12-2017, 11:44 AM)
I have a nail phobia that stems from my childhood when my fingernails where crushed as a kid. Anything that resembles nails getting cut or broken freaks me out. The only way I can physically groom my nails is by biting them (including my feet).

I've worked on it over the years and although I can't do it myself, my fiance grooms my feet now, but I still bite my fingernails because the thought of having them cut with nail clippers still bothers me.
Grazzt
(01-12-2017, 12:28 PM)
OMG I didn't know so many people bite their nails. It's disgusting.
FoxnHurley
(01-12-2017, 01:39 PM)
I only bite the corner of the nail, then start picking at it until I've torned off the tip. Really bad habit, but it's a secondary behavior that comes from my anxiety disorder.

Done it for years, rarely caused the fingers to bleed from doing so. My best friend always teases me about my numbs for fingernails, I just tell him that my way of trimming them down is more inventive than using clippers. Lol