• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

TheThunder
(03-29-2012, 09:59 AM)

Originally Posted by jump_button

they go all fun and good OT's

Good OTs are the ones that don't have overbloated PR garbage.
MightyHedgehog
Welcome to the Wasteland.
I hope you're wearing your flak vest!
(03-29-2012, 10:00 AM)
Nice to see this happen. It's really tiring to go into an OT and have to endlessly scroll past copy 'n pasted full fucking Wikis and half of the entire high-res media kit posted in the first page. Why include so much superfluous shit that is already available elsewhere? Just link it instead.
Vagabundo
(03-29-2012, 10:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Hazaro

Fate of the PC Thread?

Please don't put it community the view count will die horribly

The PC build thread should be stickied IMO. It is one of the most continuously useful threads around.
Kritz
(03-29-2012, 10:20 AM)
Vaguely related -

I'm a bad person, so I want the SUBSCRIPTIONS link down with the GAMING, OFFTOPIC and COMMUNITY links, and displayed like the three previous subforums instead of this tiny little thing in my user panel.

This way, I can have an entire forum dedicated to AusGAF threads.

I don't know how vbulletin works so maybe I am asking TOO MUCH.
Urban Scholar
(03-29-2012, 10:24 AM)

Originally Posted by TheThunder

Good OTs are the ones that don't have overbloated PR garbage.

Just bolding this for the new page. This is the point at hand
luffeN
(03-29-2012, 10:31 AM)
Would it be possible to add an OT preset to posting a new thread with necessary information that has to be in the OT? Could some of GAF's finest coders make this happen? Or would it be too much of a hassle? Or just completely unnecessary xD

Edit: Well, you wouldn't even need to code this stuff but give a preset for tag placements and such? For example [ img]place your banner here[ /img] [ list] [ *]bullet list starts here, add more [ *] for more points [ /list][ link="url"]add link text here for videos etc.[ /link] etc. etc.?
Last edited by luffeN; 03-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Blue Ninja
(03-29-2012, 11:21 AM)

Originally Posted by luffeN

Would it be possible to add an OT preset to posting a new thread with necessary information that has to be in the OT? Could some of GAF's finest coders make this happen? Or would it be too much of a hassle? Or just completely unnecessary xD

Edit: Well, you wouldn't even need to code this stuff but give a preset for tag placements and such? For example [ img]place your banner here[ /img] [ list] [ *]bullet list starts here, add more [ *] for more points [ /list][ link="url"]add link text here for videos etc.[ /link] etc. etc.?

That's not that hard to make yourself, really. And an OT can still be a bit of a personal work. I start by making a notepad document and writing down what I need in what order I need it. As I complete more and more I update it with texts and BBCode.
IdreamofHIME
(03-29-2012, 11:32 AM)
This can only be a good thing.

As for the MGS4 OT, it's kinda fitting that the thing was a behemoth. As much as I hate the game, to GAF in general it's a beacon of why we all play games and come here to discuss the industry. Hell it won GOTY on two separate occasions.
-KRS-
(03-29-2012, 12:01 PM)
Cool beans.

With the way OTs have been up until now, I usually just scroll by it anyway because there's just too much unneccesary information to read through. This was very much a needed change.

All hail lord EviLore! :D
PetriP-TNT
(03-29-2012, 12:06 PM)
Hells yeah for one page |OT|s. I would be even all in for a wiki-style Infobox-only approach.
Rösti
(03-29-2012, 12:07 PM)
Thanks for a nice and effectively put update, Tyler. I appreciate your decision to move 'outmoded' official threads of games to the Community Forum. This makes it a bit easier for those who mainly discuss news (like myself) to navigate the site.
Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
(03-29-2012, 12:09 PM)
Meh, I'm okay with the new OT-changes... I'm just disappointed that we won't be seeing a big, sexy looking Diablo 3 thread because if anything, that game deserves it. Now the OT will probably look like this:

"DIABLO 3

US: May 15th
EU: May 15th

[picture of cover]

Enjoy discussing Diablo 3 everyone! Take care! "
Nibel
(03-29-2012, 12:16 PM)
GAf just got a little bit better. Good choice to split up community.
Yoshichan
(03-29-2012, 12:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Nibel

GAf just got a little bit better. Good choice to split up community.

Hmm? The Community-part has been there for over a year now :3
Raist
Banned
(03-29-2012, 12:31 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

OTs were getting retarded indeed. Well not getting, I still remember the MGS4 OT being like 40 posts long. This is a good move.

http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost...&postcount=258

:p
ScOULaris
(03-29-2012, 12:39 PM)
*reads OP*

Although I don't know if I'm feeling the community forums being split into Gaming and OT. I always liked that GAF eschewed subforums. Looks weird to see them at the top of Gaming and OT now.
PetriP-TNT
(03-29-2012, 12:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Raist

http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost...&postcount=258

:p

Ohhhh snap
Tobe
(03-29-2012, 01:03 PM)
is it good reason to exceed the 1 post per OT if you explain how a combat system works in lets say a FF, or explaining a multiplayer aspect of a game like changes from MW3 to BLOPS2?
Massa
(03-29-2012, 01:07 PM)
I don't like seeing *every* OT get moved to sub-gaming ghetto after just one month; that should be restricted to OT's that have a high posts/day ratio.

Discussion for smaller games is already difficult on GAF, this makes it even more so.
bryehn
(03-29-2012, 01:39 PM)
I like it.
Stuart444
(03-29-2012, 01:46 PM)
Newb question but what does LTTP (and RTTP since I've seen that used a few times) mean?

In any case, Nice to see that OTs will/should stick to one post now. :)
Kyoufu
(03-29-2012, 01:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Stuart444

Newb question but what does LTTP (and RTTP since I've seen that used a few times) mean?

Late To The Party

Returning To The Party
Stuart444
(03-29-2012, 01:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

Late To The Party

Returning To The Party

Ah, alright thanks :)
zroid
(03-29-2012, 02:02 PM)
Splitting the community forums into two sub-forums was a reeeally good idea!
Yoshichan
(03-29-2012, 02:09 PM)

Does not fit at all, and I keep clicking on OT Community everytime I want to go to the real Community forums... Jesus Christ.

edit: Oh, wrong thread... I guess there's another sticky thread about this on OT.
Last edited by Yoshichan; 03-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.
EYEL1NER
(03-29-2012, 02:12 PM)

Originally Posted by bluebird

Hopefully this means people stop using complete images for the entire OT. That way if you try to search for a particular piece of info you can find it quickly, instead of having to read an essay on why said game is the greatest game of all existence.

Not being able to search for image-based text is annoying. My problem with it always was that at work (back when I had a 'work' to go to), the common image sites were all blocked. So a lot of linked images were blocked.
It would suck to go to an |OT| looking for information and all I would see is two or three posts filled with red X's.
Nibel
(03-29-2012, 02:25 PM)
Hey, if we are already bean counting, then here are my two cents

ScOULaris
(03-29-2012, 02:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Nibel

Hey, if we are already bean counting, then here are my two cents

Yup. I can't unsee it.
Lothars
(03-29-2012, 03:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Massa

I don't like seeing *every* OT get moved to sub-gaming ghetto after just one month; that should be restricted to OT's that have a high posts/day ratio.

Discussion for smaller games is already difficult on GAF, this makes it even more so.

I agree but I am not a fan of the sub-gaming community forum in general.
Takamura-San
(03-29-2012, 03:17 PM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

-Do not exceed one post in length unless you have a very good reason to.

But, but,but....

MGS4|OT| will go unchallenged..... :( AC:R came close but no cake.
ScOULaris
(03-29-2012, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Lord-Audie

But, but,but....

MGS4|OT| will go unchallenged..... :( AC:R came close but no cake.

I'll admit... I thought that the MGS4 |OT| thread was pretty awesome at the time.

The AC:R was a travesty, though. It was at that point that people started to talk about ending the mega-OP madness that seemed to be spiraling out of control in recent OT's.
MechaX
(03-29-2012, 03:38 PM)
While I have no problem with this rule, I still feel as if MGS4 was one of those rare exceptions where a Mega-OT was probably necessary (especially given how ridiculously convoluted the series is and how there were a significant amount of people starting MGS4 as their first Metal Gear).
Emitan
(03-29-2012, 03:45 PM)
So you only get one post? So we can have multiple threads of one post each? IT'S WHAT STAR FOX 64 3D DESERVED
Bioloff
(03-29-2012, 04:13 PM)
I support all of these changes, thank you Evil Lore. I agree that OTs can often time have PR Hype and criticism of the game can be hard.
scy
(03-29-2012, 04:14 PM)
Maybe it's just me but there are four tabs (Gaming | Community | Off-Topic | Community) at the top of the page but three tabs (Gaming | Off-Topic | Community) at the bottom.

Not sure if this is the "right spot" to mention it though!
Dennis
Banned
(03-29-2012, 04:53 PM)
I am so confused.
MMaRsu
Banned
(03-29-2012, 05:21 PM)

-Avoid letting hype distort your perspective. Don't fellate the game in the thread title or otherwise, doubly so if its marketing budget is reminiscent of Apple's bank statement. It doesn't need it, and you'll come off as a viral.

Great..

-_-

So you can't make a thread that says " The GAF Game OT of The best game of the year!"

???

Why all these rules? I understand not posting a frikkin wall of pictures to stop bandwith stuff but come on.

First no topics about weed, asses etc, and now these damn rules. Too many rules. I will abide, but fuck too many rules man :/. You already have to be careful sometimes what you say around here, now we can't even have some fun in the thread titles? Who wins here? Certainly not the users :/.

I do like the one post OP stuff tho. But still kind of sour on this whole thing.
Last edited by MMaRsu; 03-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
ScOULaris
(03-29-2012, 05:24 PM)

Originally Posted by MMaRsu

First no topics about weed, asses etc, and now these damn rules. Too many rules. I will abide, but fuck too many rules man :/.

Whatever

Had to do it. :)
GillianSeed79
(03-29-2012, 05:28 PM)
I'm okay with this. Honestly, I find it more jarring and confusing when a big game comes out and there's like the OT, the official review OT, the MP/Beta OT, official spoiler OT and sometimes the PC performance/Digital Foundry console comparison OT all on the first two pages. I generally like to stick to the OT until I finish a game and then check out the spoiler OT.
Bboy AJ
My parents were murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
(03-29-2012, 05:59 PM)
Used to be just me and a few others who would hate those hideous OTs. I'm glad to see that community sentiment is now changing. Good riddance. You were never welcome in the first place, crappy and bloated OTs.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(03-29-2012, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by MMaRsu

So you can't make a thread that says " The GAF Game OT of The best game of the year!"

Is just calling the thread "Gamebox Explosion 4 |OT|" really so terrible?
frontieruk
(03-29-2012, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by charlequin

Can always be tagged later if it is the game of the year no?
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(03-29-2012, 07:15 PM)

I love OTs like that. Nice and simple.
MMaRsu
Banned
(03-29-2012, 07:29 PM)

Nope, but I loved the old style OT's. Every official thread had a funny or clever TT and it was a good bit of Neogaf imo.
ScOULaris
(03-29-2012, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Andrex

I love OTs like that. Nice and simple.

Nah, come on. That's just boring.
Nemesis_
(03-29-2012, 07:55 PM)
Putting OT in the title has made it so easy for me to update and index all the previous threads in the archive / claim thread.

Also happy to see the thread I put so much effort into getting more exposure ^_^
Chris R
(03-29-2012, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by bluebird

Hopefully this means people stop using complete images for the entire OT. That way if you try to search for a particular piece of info you can find it quickly, instead of having to read an essay on why said game is the greatest game of all existence.

This was the number one thing I hated about most massive OTs. Fine, use some fancy images with text in them for the section headers, but all the actual information should just be plain text.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(03-29-2012, 09:16 PM)

Originally Posted by ScOULaris

Nah, sometimes it fits the thread very well. Like the Google Chrome |OT|, the program itself is all about simplicity so thus should its title be.
Teppic
(03-29-2012, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

OTs were getting retarded indeed. Well not getting, I still remember the MGS4 OT being like 40 posts long. This is a good move.

BTW here's an example of what I think all OTs should aspire to

http://neogaf.site/forum/showthre...=final+fantasy

Looks real nice and has all the necessary information you could need.

Don't like it at all. Text shouldn't be in images. I can't resize it to my liking.
Uno Venova
(03-29-2012, 09:45 PM)

Originally Posted by ScOULaris

It really is.