• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Forerunner
Member
(02-24-2017, 10:21 AM)
Forerunner's Avatar
I’m still upset about H2A. It was such wasted potential; it really could have been something special. All we got for it was one map and then they just let it die along with MCC.

Top of page gif

Trup1aya
Member
(02-24-2017, 10:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Fahzgoolin

Returning to a simpler story doesn't mean it can't have depth. For as simple as Halo CE's story was, it had enough nuance and mystery that makes it compelling to this day. It was a really good space drama.

It didn't have a ton of cutscenes with dramatic character exposition. It was primarily through gameplay. The cutscenes present were quick and efficient. The longest cut scene was when you played back the video footage of the flood encounter and that was just a tool to build suspension.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Halo was at its best when it was less character driven/focused. To be fair, I think Bungie was pushing it in that direction with Halo ODST and Reach. I don't think it worked particularly well. It still worked better than current Halo because they were simpler, tighter, stories.

Halo CE worked well without being character focused. 2, 3, ODST and Reach were character focused but also worked really well.

Halo 5 is probably the simplest story to date, IMO. It's just a really bad story, with bad dialog, poorly explained motivations, anemic character development, and unearned reveals.

We really just need good writing. Simple/complex plot/character driven- it doesn't really matter so long as the writing is good.
Leyasu
Member
(02-24-2017, 12:58 PM)
Leyasu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Forerunner

I’m still upset about H2A. It was such wasted potential; it really could have been something special. All we got for it was one map and then they just let it die along with MCC.

Top of page gif

They spread themselves to thin with the MCC and fucked everything, instead of concentrating on h2a.

Let's hope that h3a is better.
Barrel Cannon
Member
(02-24-2017, 01:08 PM)
Barrel Cannon's Avatar

Originally Posted by ATOMICJORGE



#WeBack

ah yesss Split screen. Thank you based Frankie. Please now all we need is LAN and I'm one happy grunt.
Poodlestrike
Member
(02-24-2017, 01:17 PM)
Poodlestrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fahzgoolin

Returning to a simpler story doesn't mean it can't have depth. For as simple as Halo CE's story was, it had enough nuance and mystery that makes it compelling to this day. It was a really good space drama.

It didn't have a ton of cutscenes with dramatic character exposition. It was primarily through gameplay. The cutscenes present were quick and efficient. The longest cut scene was when you played back the video footage of the flood encounter and that was just a tool to build suspension.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Halo was at its best when it was less character driven/focused. To be fair, I think Bungie was pushing it in that direction with Halo ODST and Reach. I don't think it worked particularly well. It still worked better than current Halo because they were simpler, tighter, stories.

All I meant to say was that they would be going back to what you said, delivering story primarily through gameplay. No more dedicated atmosphere-setting noncombat segments, probably less overtly character focused cutscenes. More economy of storytelling in general, really.

And I gotta disagree with you about that last bit, simply because in my opinion literally all of the best stories are character focused. There's a balance to be struck here; I think they need a good audience surrogate to make it work, though. Maybe a civilian with a personal stake, a sympathetic voice, name starts with a B...

*hint hint*
Samurai G0SU
Member
(02-24-2017, 01:44 PM)
Samurai G0SU's Avatar
would be funny if they announce a live series show starring Buck and some solo covert options he did during the Created Era or something.
Woorloog
Member
(02-24-2017, 01:59 PM)
Woorloog's Avatar
Story presentation should take hints from Halo 2, when it comes to characters anyway. The characters are introduced well, are very distinct, and there is a sense that they have motivations of some kind. The Arbiter is clearly struggling with his faith and, Tartarus' pride and arrogance are visible, Keyes is very earnest to be as good as her father (to the point of foolhardiness!), etc.

Yes, Halo 2 infamously ends with a cliffhanger, which is a flaw. But overall, it is top-notch story delivery. Were this combined with the feel of exploring of some unknown place as in Halo CE... Halo 2 kinda lacked that. There were interesting places, but Delta Halo has a distinct feel to it, as if it were more living and not just a relic. Partially this is due to the pacing, areas are tighter, more focused, which isn't bad as gameplay is concerned. But it leaves little space for exploration, or illusion of that.

Halo 5 never properly introduces the characters beyond their names. They don't have any... fame to their names, if that makes sense. I still don't remember Locke's members aside from Buck (and if i didn't know Buck beforehand, i would've regarded him as a cliche and boring joker of the team). The Blue team frankly suffers from the same issue, if one is not aware of their backstory (and IMO they feel very different from their book versions, but then the Book!Chief is very different from the Game!Chief so eh).
Locke and his team lack motivations. Why is Buck there? Why are the other two there? Why is Locke there? The only thing i can say about Locke is that he is professional and polite... but i have no idea why he does what he does. It isn't even implicit he does what he does because he feels it is a duty.
The Blue team at least is loyal to the Chief, standing by him no matter what.

The villains..., well the Warden comes out of nowhere and is unlike anything else Forerunner. And gameplay teaches the player to regard him as annoying but not something to be respected, which is not good look for the character. And Cortana... the less said, the better. Seriously, beyond some silly love triangle of jealousy and obsession, the villains lack any reasonable motivation. These emotional motivations are undoubtedly human and perhaps common, but they aren't very compelling, especially not with robots.
And with the Guardians claimed (and shown) power, fighting against Cortana doesn't feel interesting. Like, what the fuck we can do? The fight against the Covenant was one of desperation, with light at the end of the tunnel. Here? Nothing, unless one assumes the story hinges on the Chief somehow convincing Cortana to stop. Maybe some noble self-sacrifice, Cortana gets Chief if Cortana doesn't kill everyone (/s). (Not sure if this would be worse than Mass Effect 3's literal deus ex machina...)

For contrast, The Didact in Halo 4 was awkwardly cliche ("why don't you just shoot him already?") and different from the brilliant military commander portrayed in Halo 3 terminals and the Forerunner Trilogy. But he has striking design and presence. I think the game managed to make him feel like a threat, cutscene-stupidity aside. Slight changes, or perhaps later explanations (had he been in Halo 5) could've explained his bad attributes away ("100k years of solitude isn't good for anyone") and he could've worked fine as a new major villain for the Chief and humankind.
Ade
Member
(02-24-2017, 02:06 PM)
Ade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poodlestrike

I think they need a good audience surrogate to make it work, though. Maybe a civilian with a personal stake, a sympathetic voice, name starts with a B...

*hint hint*

Would be nice to see Ben again. Rhiordan would also work I'd reckon.
Samurai G0SU
Member
(02-24-2017, 02:17 PM)
Samurai G0SU's Avatar
After watching Bonnie's segment about Halo ... i would really like them to make this;

a Horror/Thriller movie that takes place with a couple of Characters from the Halo Universe. I don't know many of them but i would like this to focus on them having first contact with the Flood. Seeing a grotest species mutating their friends into things that just want to kill them and make them one of their own.

like straight survival, running for your life, maybe like an Alien atmosphere type of thing.

I would love to see a pov on this side of the universe.

spoiler ending would be they all die anyway and the flood takes over the ship to fly to earth. maybe a movie between halo 2 and 3? idk.
Ade
Member
(02-24-2017, 02:31 PM)
Ade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Samurai G0SU

After watching Bonnie's segment about Halo ... i would really like them to make this;

a Horror/Thriller movie that takes place with a couple of Characters from the Halo Universe. I don't know many of them but i would like this to focus on them having first contact with the Flood. Seeing a grotest species mutating their friends into things that just want to kill them and make them one of their own.

like straight survival, running for your life, maybe like an Alien atmosphere type of thing.

I would love to see a pov on this side of the universe.

spoiler ending would be they all die anyway and the flood takes over the ship to fly to earth. maybe a movie between halo 2 and 3? idk.

Assume you've seen the animated version of Midnight in the heart of Midlothian?
Samurai G0SU
Member
(02-24-2017, 02:50 PM)
Samurai G0SU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ade

Assume you've seen the animated version of Midnight in the heart of Midlothian?

I have not. i will not though,. haha

edit:

Originally Posted by Fuchsdh

You actually mean "The Mona Lisa".


ill watch that next. thank you youtube.
Last edited by Samurai G0SU; 02-24-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Fuchsdh
Member
(02-24-2017, 02:54 PM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ade

Assume you've seen the animated version of Midnight in the heart of Midlothian?

You actually mean "The Mona Lisa".
Ade
Member
(02-24-2017, 03:27 PM)
Ade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fuchsdh

You actually mean "The Mona Lisa".

Indeed I do. For some reason I always get those two flipped.

Anyways, watch it. What you want is more or less that.
Samurai G0SU
Member
(02-24-2017, 04:05 PM)
Samurai G0SU's Avatar
Yeah, a movie in line with The Mona Lisa would be fantastic. They could really go in on the horror aspect.
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(02-24-2017, 09:55 PM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Samurai G0SU

I have not. i will not though,. haha

edit:

ill watch that next. thank you youtube.

Watch both of them; they're both great. MitHotM was written by Frank IIRC, and it told the story of an unsung hero of Halo. TML is some Dead Space shit that I'd love to play as a game. Both must-watches imo.
Fuchsdh
Member
(02-24-2017, 10:26 PM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar

Originally Posted by FUNKNOWN iXi

Watch both of them; they're both great. MitHotM was written by Frank IIRC, and it told the story of an unsung hero of Halo. TML is some Dead Space shit that I'd love to play as a game. Both must-watches imo.

While the art style isn't my favorite, I kind of look back on these motion comics with fondness, now, after the terminals got increasingly CG-heavy and baroque.

But they still haven't done a motion comic version of "The Impossible Life of Preston J Cole."
belushy
Member
(02-24-2017, 10:45 PM)
belushy's Avatar
Caster Line-up for ME Las Vegas.

For some reason Goldenboy is back, and Elamite out.

I don't know why they are not bringing in the young talent like Butters, Would, or KnightyKnight... Need to be building up talent, not just picking up Goldenboy for a random event here and there...
Last edited by belushy; 02-24-2017 at 10:50 PM.
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(02-24-2017, 10:49 PM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fuchsdh

While the art style isn't my favorite, I kind of look back on these motion comics with fondness, now, after the terminals got increasingly CG-heavy and baroque.

But they still haven't done a motion comic version of "The Impossible Life of Preston J Cole."

The Return was okay, I think the weakest imo, but I'd like more of these motion comics in general. There was another short story collection that released recently similar to Halo Evolutions, Halo Fractures, that I've been meaning to check out. I hope it's good.

And we need another Halo Legends!
Fuchsdh
Member
(02-24-2017, 11:10 PM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar

Originally Posted by FUNKNOWN iXi

The Return was okay, I think the weakest imo, but I'd like more of these motion comics in general. There was another short story collection that released recently similar to Halo Evolutions, Halo Fractures, that I've been meaning to check out. I hope it's good.

And we need another Halo Legends!

We had a podcast on Fractures if you're fine with spoilery impressions.
</plug>
Akai__
Member
(02-24-2017, 11:11 PM)
Akai__'s Avatar
Whenever Simms or Goldenboy are casting, I will not watch the HCS.
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(02-25-2017, 12:06 AM)
op_ivy's Avatar
I hope that's hyperbole. Like, having a preference for casters is one thing, but your enjoyment of an event shouldn't be dependent on it. Have a couple drinks before hand and relax.
YourExWife
Member
(02-25-2017, 12:34 AM)
YourExWife's Avatar

Originally Posted by op_ivy

I hope that's hyperbole. Like, having a preference for casters is one thing, but your enjoyment of an event shouldn't be dependent on it. Have a couple drinks before hand and relax.

Personally, I won't stop watching, but I'll probably turn the volume down. Neither of them improve my viewing experience. Like, the games without commentary is more enjoyable than either of them casting. I've gone into reasons before.
TCKaos
Member
(02-25-2017, 12:36 AM)
TCKaos's Avatar


CyReN
Member
(02-25-2017, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by belushy

Caster Line-up for ME Las Vegas.


For some reason Goldenboy is back, and Elamite out.

I don't know why they are not bringing in the young talent like Butters, Would, or KnightyKnight... Need to be building up talent, not just picking up Goldenboy for a random event here and there...

I rather have known Halo personalities, or at least bring over more of the UK casters. They are miles better.
ultimota
Junior Member
(02-25-2017, 12:48 AM)
ultimota's Avatar

Originally Posted by TCKaos



sign me up :P
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(02-25-2017, 01:02 AM)
op_ivy's Avatar

Originally Posted by YourExWife

Personally, I won't stop watching, but I'll probably turn the volume down. Neither of them improve my viewing experience. Like, the games without commentary is more enjoyable than either of them casting. I've gone into reasons before.

That I can see. It's like watching a UFC fight with shitty announcing. It can detract and you find a way to ignore it. When Joe Rogan spends an entire match slurping one fighter over another, calling wiffed shots over actual landed stuff of the other guy, I roll my eyes. It sucks. Or Goldie breaking into an assassins creed 8 commercial mid fight, just when shit starts hearing up.

Still, I'd never not watch a UFC because of the shitty announcers.
jem0208
Member
(02-25-2017, 01:11 AM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by Akai__

Whenever Simms or Goldenboy are casting, I will not watch the HCS.

And people said I have terrible opinions...

This is just shocking.
GringoSuave89
Member
(02-25-2017, 01:42 AM)
GringoSuave89's Avatar
Just picked up HW2. Hoping for hype.
Poodlestrike
Member
(02-25-2017, 01:47 AM)
Poodlestrike's Avatar

Originally Posted by TCKaos



Yeah, I'm game.
SCHUEY F1
Member
(02-25-2017, 01:51 AM)
SCHUEY F1's Avatar
Hopefully I can get in for some customs tomorrow night.
belushy
Member
(02-25-2017, 02:08 AM)
belushy's Avatar

Originally Posted by jem0208

And people said I have terrible opinions...

This is just shocking.

Hes not wrong, haha.
Trup1aya
Member
(02-25-2017, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Fuchsdh

You actually mean "The Mona Lisa".

That was fantastic.
GringoSuave89
Member
(02-25-2017, 04:49 AM)
GringoSuave89's Avatar
The Mona Lisa is so fucking good. More stories like that. Space opera gets old, 343. Mix it up.
Samurai G0SU
Member
(02-25-2017, 04:51 AM)
Samurai G0SU's Avatar
Lol i commented in wrong thread.....

So with mona lisa. Does that imply there sre flood in the halo still?
GringoSuave89
Member
(02-25-2017, 05:03 AM)
GringoSuave89's Avatar

Originally Posted by Samurai G0SU

Lol i commented in wrong thread.....

So with mona lisa. Does that imply there sre flood in the halo still?

The Flood follow a Gravemind, and THE Gravemind was destroyed, so that "strain" of Flood are destroyed. There could be pockets of other Flood under another Gravemind, or even a Keymind, which is really fucking bad news.
ATOMICJORGE
Member
(02-25-2017, 05:10 AM)
ATOMICJORGE's Avatar
I met Tashi today at the Halo World Championship 2017 Mexico City LAN, it was a pleasure to meet him we had a great talk :D he is very cool can't wait to be at the tournament tomorrow!

VIVA HALOGAF!

Last edited by ATOMICJORGE; 02-25-2017 at 05:21 AM.
GringoSuave89
Member
(02-25-2017, 05:16 AM)
GringoSuave89's Avatar

Originally Posted by ATOMICJORGE

I met Tashi today at the Halo World Championship 2017 Mexico City LAN, it was a pleasure to meet him we had a great talk :D can't wait to be at the tournament tomorrow!

VIVA HALOGAF!

Righteous
ultimota
Junior Member
(02-25-2017, 05:55 AM)
ultimota's Avatar
matched teammates "trying" to kill farm got a party inv

after i armed the second bomb i ignored armed and won while dodging attempted betrayals :P

then this

very odd
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(02-25-2017, 06:54 AM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar
It's true though. When you're dead, you're either just dead, or you're chillin in heaven where no radar Halo is plentiful. And BTB Pistol starts.
FATstronaut
Member
(02-25-2017, 06:59 AM)
FATstronaut's Avatar
Oh hey
Fahzgoolin
Member
(02-25-2017, 07:45 AM)
Fahzgoolin's Avatar

Originally Posted by FATstronaut

Oh hey

who are you again?
Defect
Member
(02-25-2017, 10:39 AM)
Defect's Avatar
Finally beat Halo Wars 2. What a disappointing story :/

Why is it so difficult to make a decent Halo story?
Heavy's Sandvich
Member
(02-25-2017, 12:42 PM)
Heavy's Sandvich's Avatar
Who wants to play Halo with me?
Trup1aya
Member
(02-25-2017, 12:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Defect

Finally beat Halo Wars 2. What a disappointing story :/

Why is it so difficult to make a decent Halo story?

I thought the story was decent, but it ended in the second act
Fuchsdh
Member
(02-25-2017, 01:10 PM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heavy's Sandvich

Who wants to play Halo with me?

I'll be around tonight, but now it "get shit done for the weekend" time :P

Originally Posted by Trup1aya

I thought the story was decent, but it ended in the second act

There's no defined demarcation between your second and third acts. I think it's fairer to say that the game doesn't have any denouement, which makes its ending feel much more abrupt.
Heavy's Sandvich
Member
(02-25-2017, 02:57 PM)
Heavy's Sandvich's Avatar
I bought Reach - not played it since it came out 6+ years ago.
Trup1aya
Member
(02-25-2017, 03:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Fuchsdh

I'll be around tonight, but now it "get shit done for the weekend" time :P



There's no defined demarcation between your second and third acts. I think it's fairer to say that the game doesn't have any denouement, which makes its ending feel much more abrupt.

To me, it feels like it ended where the third act should have began.
aHebrewMenagerie
Member
(02-25-2017, 03:30 PM)
aHebrewMenagerie's Avatar

Originally Posted by FATstronaut

Oh hey

Oh hey! How's ur mum?
horkrux
Member
(02-25-2017, 03:36 PM)
horkrux's Avatar

Originally Posted by Heavy's Sandvich

I bought Reach - not played it since it came out 6+ years ago.

Reach went from best to worst on my list after playing it again recently.

Game is in dire need of a remaster tho. The ghosting and motion blur is just nasty.
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(02-25-2017, 03:54 PM)
op_ivy's Avatar

Originally Posted by horkrux

Reach went from best to worst on my list after playing it again recently.

Game is in dire need of a remaster tho. The ghosting and motion blur is just nasty.

I've never been a huge fan of the campaign, but yeah, I fired this up on backwards compat a few weeks ago and found it incredibly jarring with the bloom.

Thread Tools