• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SheepyGuy
(04-08-2017, 02:58 AM)
Honestly most GB and GBA games aren't worth much overall. If you have one of the handful of games that are actually worth something, yeah it'd be worth selling them.

Originally Posted by Cloggerdude

Yeah, I can get on board with that line of thinking. I was honestly hesitant to even include that in my original post and it's definitely not one of the main factors for me considering selling everything. I see both sides of the argument though.

Man everyone in these threads is so much nicer than RegularGAF.
womp
(04-08-2017, 03:26 AM)

Originally Posted by Cloggerdude

Thanks for this. I'm only 31, but having a son has really changed my outlook on some things. It's one of those weird things that I truly never thought would happen to me and yet....here we are.

I've went down to the basement every night this past week and stared at my GBA collection. Every time I intend to take pictures and then just list them, but every time I chicken out. I have attachment to the games, because that's the gen I grew up with, but it's not going to be the end of the world if I sell them. Especially since I'm keeping the ones that matter the most to me: Pokemon

My son is 9 and being married with a house and a mortgage and all that jazz does indeed change ones outlook on this crap.

What's scary is that I've owned my NES for as long as you have been alive (Christmas of 86 when I was 13) and it's probably the only thing in my collection I have a real urge to hold onto just because it is the one system I've managed to keep all together over the years AND it all still works. :) It's also brought me a lot of good memories from my teen years in high school.

In any case, you got time...don't rush something you may regret, however, the fact you are starting to feel this way at all just means you are getting closer to that point. Don't sweat it. I too had/have a bunch of crap in boxes and totes stashed away over my lifetime of gaming that I simply said to myself "What good are these doing me?". It was all down hill from there.

My Star Wars stuff that had been rotting for over 20+ years in a closet bought me the first high end PC that I have owned since the Voodoo 3DFX era a couple years ago and it was such a great feeling. And since I used my own money, I didn't have to deal with the wrath of my wife as to how I got it. LOL

MUSHA I bought at EB Games back in 1991 for $19.99. I sold it a couple years ago to a dealer for $220 at a local game show. MUSHA is easily my favorite SHMUP of all time and one of my favorite Genesis titles...but....it has done nothing locked away all these years. I played it to death back in the day, but now? I'm good with emulating it and someone else can enjoy it more than I can. That need to hoard this stuff just broke down in the back of my brain and shut off and I think age really factors into it.

Go through and ask yourself "Do I REALLY need this?" versus "This, this makes me feel good' and see what you come up with. Personally for me? I love my portables but since I am not a hardcore collector, I can stand to hang onto that stuff that has survived over the years whereas I don't mind ditching some SNES and Genesis. It's all personal and subjective but since you have said something like your Pokemon games matter the most to you, you have already set a criteria that you can use to scale to.

Give it a practice run and see how you do. Worst case? Downscale a little and see how you feel.
Last edited by womp; 04-08-2017 at 03:29 AM.
sixteen-bit
(04-16-2017, 10:39 PM)

House fuckin' sucks @ Zero Mission
c-murph
(04-17-2017, 02:08 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

In his defense he was probably high.
TheMoon
(04-17-2017, 02:10 PM)

Originally Posted by c-murph

In his defense he was probably high.

notsureifserious.gif
TheFuzz
(04-19-2017, 09:14 PM)
Cross-posting from my other topic cause I'm excited.....

Picked up this bad boy for $60. Case and screen are in way better shape than I expected. It looks to be an original 001 with a screen swap. Pic looks like screen isn't uniform in brightness but it's just the lighting in the room.

You guys weren't kidding about the backlight... the screen looks so nice. I never had the AGS-101, so this is quite impressive to me. Now to start building a collection for this.
Cloggerdude
(04-19-2017, 09:30 PM)

Originally Posted by TheFuzz

Cross-posting from my other topic cause I'm excited.....

Picked up this bad boy for $60. Case and screen are in way better shape than I expected. It looks to be an original 001 with a screen swap. Pic looks like screen isn't uniform in brightness but it's just the lighting in the room.

You guys weren't kidding about the backlight... the screen looks so nice. I never had the AGS-101, so this is quite impressive to me. Now to start building a collection for this.

Congrats! The SP is tied for me with the Micro as my favorite way to play GBA games. It's just so nice to be able to close it and stick it in a pocket.
Peltz
(04-19-2017, 09:31 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

The fuck is he shooting at?
TheMoon
(04-19-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Peltz

The fuck is he shooting at?

He is measuring the basic beams distance to optimize his speedrun strats, duh.
socksfelloff
(04-19-2017, 11:09 PM)
GBA GAF I have a question!

Whats the consensus on gba vc on a hacked N3ds? I'm looking to play through the 2 GBA metroid games but I packed away all my gba stuff in preparation to move. All I've got GBA wise is a micro with an everdrive x5 but I'm really not diggin the cart sticking out on the micro :( I'd rather play it on 3ds if the GBA VC is decent!
Beer Monkey
(04-20-2017, 12:26 AM)

Originally Posted by socksfelloff

GBA GAF I have a question!

Whats the consensus on gba vc on a hacked N3ds? I'm looking to play through the 2 GBA metroid games but I packed away all my gba stuff in preparation to move. All I've got GBA wise is a micro with an everdrive x5 but I'm really not diggin the cart sticking out on the micro :( I'd rather play it on 3ds if the GBA VC is decent!

GBA on a hacked N3DS is totally superior IMO. And I own a Micro fwiw.

It uses hardware instead of emulation and the display is superior.
SheepyGuy
(04-20-2017, 12:59 AM)
It's pretty much perfect from a compatibility standpoint and the display is certainly nice but the button layout choice isn't great (a=a, b=b but like in the wrong spot) and when you flip the 3ds lid down you don't get sleep mode. I mean you don't get sleep mode on a real GBA (in most games) but at least a real GBA turns on and off really quick.
socksfelloff
(04-20-2017, 01:11 AM)
Thanks for the response guys! 3ds it is.

I thought I could get over the big cart on the x5 but it's been a total deal breaker for me as far as portable GBA. I hate it in the micro, I hate it in the sp and I even hate it in my 101 modded oh.
I mainly play gb/gba stuff on my cube though so its still perfect for that!
TheFuzz
(04-20-2017, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Beer Monkey

GBA on a hacked N3DS is totally superior IMO. And I own a Micro fwiw.

It uses hardware instead of emulation and the display is superior.

But the sound is awful, isn't it?
Beer Monkey
(04-20-2017, 02:40 AM)

But the sound is awful, isn't it?

I play exclusively with headphones. I'm never happy with speakers in handhelds and of course GBA sampling rates are terrible but I haven't noticed anything worse about playing GBA games on 3DS.
(04-20-2017, 08:12 PM)
Got the opportunity recently to have a GB link up battle with a buddy playing Money Puzzle/Idol Exchanger.

Even though the game is completely stripped down on the GB, and the music didn't seem to synch it is a really great 2 player game. Especially if you both have backlit mods.

Have to say the backlit mod for the original GB is one of the best things to happen in modern gaming. If I am honest I wasn't a big fan of the GB back in the day precisely because of the poor screen. With a backlit GB you can really tap into a massive catalogue of games and be able to play the games properly.
Peltz
(04-20-2017, 08:27 PM)
I played Mario Golf on GBC before work this morning. It is still such a well made game. It really teaches you everything about golf other than how to swing a real club.
Beer Monkey
(04-20-2017, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Peltz

I played Mario Golf on GBC before work this morning. It is still such a well made game. It really teaches you everything about golf other than how to swing a real club.

I love that game so much. N64 Mario Golf was a letdown in comparison, IMO.
Morfeo
The Chuck Norris of Peace
(04-21-2017, 02:47 AM)
Lol at Dr. House playing Metroid, he is supposed to be really high there right?
TheMoon
(04-21-2017, 06:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Morfeo

Lol at Dr. House playing Metroid, he is supposed to be really high there right?

find me 1 second in all eight seasons where he is not. okay well that bit in rehab maybe...
c-murph
(04-22-2017, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by TheMoon

notsureifserious.gif

lmao I've never seen House.
TheMoon
(04-22-2017, 09:41 AM)

Originally Posted by c-murph

lmao I've never seen House.

Here's a summary.

cat = House :)
TheFuzz
(04-22-2017, 02:38 PM)
Is ghosting normal on a GB SP 101 model? I noticed playing SMB3 that there is a motion blur on some movements.

I don't remember it happening when I owned an SP 15 years ago, but I'm assuming I wouldn't have noticed it anyway. Just checking if this normal.
Last edited by TheFuzz; 04-22-2017 at 02:41 PM.
SheepyGuy
(04-22-2017, 03:10 PM)

Is ghosting normal on a GB SP 101 model? I noticed playing SMB3 that there is a motion blur on some movements.

I don't remember it happening when I owned an SP 15 years ago, but I'm assuming I wouldn't have noticed it anyway. Just checking if this normal.

Yeah it's the main reason I don't like that screen. It's super obvious in faster side scrolling games like Mario. For stuff like Pokemon or slower games it's not so bad, though.

It's an old LCD on a cheap toy so it's not exactly surprising. If you have a DS Lite, Mario 3 has the same ghosting there as it does in the 101.
TheFuzz
(04-22-2017, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by SheepyGuy

Yeah it's the main reason I don't like that screen. It's super obvious in faster side scrolling games like Mario. For stuff like Pokemon or slower games it's not so bad, though.

It's an old LCD on a cheap toy so it's not exactly surprising. If you have a DS Lite, Mario 3 has the same ghosting there as it does in the 101.

Oh ok, thanks. It's not too terrible, just something I noticed. I was about to ask if the DS lite did the same since my wife has one but you answered that. Thanks!
TheFuzz
(04-23-2017, 12:41 AM)
Last question, and I think I know the answer:

Does the SP sound get a little "static-y" or slightly distorted at max volume? I bought it second-hand, so I just wanted to make sure it was normal.
Conezays
(Yesterday, 05:22 PM)

Does the SP sound get a little "static-y" or slightly distorted at max volume? I bought it second-hand, so I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

I'd have to hear it in-person/video to accurately judge but I think that's fairly normal with the hardware.

I had a question to pose to the rest of GBA users. Given the age of the hardware, is the internal battery dying a legitimate concern at this point? I just grabbed an original AGS 101 and am quite happy with it so far, as well as its d-pad and buttons. Is it worth grabbing one of the refurbished units available on Ebay based on battery concerns?

Example:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201090920636

Edit: I also see they sell batteries for the system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Recharge...8AAOSwqYBWok80

Not worth the hassle? Are refurbished parts/buttons, etc. typically noticeably worse? I'd appreciate any input before I start hoarding multiple GBA's, lol. Cheers.

Edit: And multiple other sellers/types of batteries. Hmm, anyone else have experience with replacing their batteries? At how cheap they cost I guess it's worth checking out. As I wrote this I see my battery is lasting far less than 18 hours, closer to 3 hours. Guess it's worth purchasing one of these replacement batteries.
Last edited by Conezays; Yesterday at 08:33 PM.
Peltz
(Yesterday, 05:32 PM)

Not all models do. AGS-101 has a lower quality speaker than the AGS-001. And there is additional variance among different individual units.
AtomicPumpkin
(Yesterday, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Conezays

Edit: And multiple other sellers/types of batteries. Hmm, anyone else have experience with replacing their batteries? At how cheap they cost I guess it's worth checking out. As I wrote this I see my battery is lasting far less than 18 hours, closer to 3 hours. Guess it's worth purchasing one of these replacement batteries.

There is a common misconception that the 101s battery life was the same as the 001s, but in reality since it is a bright backlit screen, when new, max battery life was around 5 hours, whereas the 001 was easily double that.
Last edited by AtomicPumpkin; Today at 04:20 AM.
Conezays
(Yesterday, 11:01 PM)

Originally Posted by AtomicPumpkin

There is a common misconception that the 101s battery life was the same as the 001s, but in reality since it is a bright backlit screen, when new, max battery lasts life was around 5 hours, whereas the 001 was easily double that.

Cool, thanks for the info. I still imagine my 2-3 hour charge was less than it was originally though. Ordered replacement for $10 online and the GBA seller refunded me the difference due to the low battery. Happy with how things turned out. Been putting a stupid amount of hours on Tetris DX so far. I picked up an Everdrive for the GBA and it's great not having to pull out all of my carts.
womp
(Today, 03:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Conezays

Cool, thanks for the info. I still imagine my 2-3 hour charge was less than it was originally though. Ordered replacement for $10 online and the GBA seller refunded me the difference due to the low battery. Happy with how things turned out. Been putting a stupid amount of hours on Tetris DX so far. I picked up an Everdrive for the GBA and it's great not having to pull out all of my carts.

Just a quick heads up (and forgive me if you already know this), Everdrive carts will suck the battery more than a normal cart as well so factor that in there amongst your play/battery time stats.
Conezays
(Today, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by womp

Just a quick heads up (and forgive me if you already know this), Everdrive carts will suck the battery more than a normal cart as well so factor that in there amongst your play/battery time stats.

I actually didn't know that so thank you. I've also been using regular carts to test the battery but hadn't factored in the Everdrive using the battery more.
Last edited by Conezays; Today at 04:13 AM.