• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Sandfox
(01-12-2017, 08:46 AM)
Duggan's Deadpool continues to impress me with how consistently good it is.
MHWilliams
(01-12-2017, 08:52 AM)

Originally Posted by echoshifting

Now we must define Hickmanliness to make sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about his tendency to approach stories like an architect, building an elaborate frame and then filling it with rooms.

By this measure, I consider Manhattan Projects one of the least Hickmanliest of his books, because it progresses much more like a normal story, expanding in scope at a fairly normal rate and utilizing characterization and plots that feel like they sprang organically from each other during the process of writing the book.

Given this definition, you are correct, East of West is the Hickmanliest book. I was going with his more off-beat, sci-fi style of story, where the plotting is straightforward, but it's all about the big ideas. Manhattan Projects, Pax Romana, Transhuman, Fantastic Four, and seemingly Frontier before it was delayed. Similar in vein to Ellis, though Ellis' stories tend to lean harder on brevity and cold brutality.

Originally Posted by Sandfox

Duggan's Deadpool continues to impress me with how consistently good it is.

Duggan is Marvel's Tomasi. I wouldn't say he's a superstar who's going to lead a crossover or anything, but his work is consistently great and I buy his work sight unseen. They've both earned my trust.
BKatastrophe
(01-12-2017, 09:33 AM)
You're right. Tomasi and Gleason should do a Fantastic Four run.
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 09:35 AM)
Vigilante Southland will now just be collected. Issues are returnable.

Nice:
Last edited by LordOfLore; 01-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
ElBoxyBrown
(01-12-2017, 10:45 AM)
Watch Dogs 2 referenced Predator Vs. Archie. This game is good.
Tizoc
(01-12-2017, 10:55 AM)

Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price
KoruptData
(01-12-2017, 11:10 AM)
Anybody read God Country #1?
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(01-12-2017, 11:13 AM)

Originally Posted by whatsinaname

So, quick question for you all. Is there any ongoing run that you would put up there with your GOATs?

stray bullets(which came out yesterday, and its :wow) is top 10, squirrel girl is top 50 somewhere surely
Veelk
(01-12-2017, 11:16 AM)
Was Doctor Fate from the New 52 era any good?

I remember thinking the covers were really good.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(01-12-2017, 11:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Veelk

Was Doctor Fate from the New 52 era any good?

I remember thinking the covers were really good.

Brandom McCarthy drew an issue, so its already 90% more interesting than the rest of DC's output
JordanDeGroot
(01-12-2017, 11:54 AM)
I think though its early days yet BMM could turn out to be the hickmanliest book so far - get all the usual throwing crazyness in and slow revealing the meanings plus a good chuck of Hickmans graphic design past on the layouts and charts of family trees and everything - you get Hickman writer and Hickman graphic designer, its double the Hickman

yeah can't think of many on goings that would go on my greatest list, Sagas good but for me has its ups and downs that stop it being top tier, maybe its harder in longer running series to keep up quality all the time. If it was still ongoing rather than just finished Vision would be on there.
Freezasaurus
(01-12-2017, 12:17 PM)

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Watch Dogs 2 referenced Predator Vs. Archie. This game is good.

Ha ha, yeah. I got a kick out of that, too.
RepairmanJack
(01-12-2017, 12:46 PM)
Catching up on Marvel:

Spider-Man

Now I see what someone was saying about Miles barely being a character in his own book. I'm glad it all ended up being a test, because I was confused as hell. Issue was fine, but the dad being a focus is kind of bleh.

Civil War II

It's over! Fuck Carol!

Hulk

I really dug this. Between the creepy/awesome client and Jenn dealing with her trauma all seems very interesting.

Spider-Woman

They had to deal with Roger's left behind life sooner or later and I really like the way they're dealing with it here.

This weeks DC:

The Flash

Mostly a set up issue and it seemed a little drawn out but I liked this and the last issue a lot more than this book has been lately.

JL vs SS

It's the action issue. Leading up to this I was wanting it, but I can't say I was 100% satisfied with what we got. Also kind of disappointed in the target.

Red Hood and the Outlaws

I love this god damn book. This issue by all accounts feels like it should be pretty meh, but the interactions we get and the overall feel of the book is just great. Artemis joking with Jason to take on Bizarro in her place was great, them being called the "Dark Trinity" in the actual book was great. Even Black Mask being left with the Orphanage woman in the end, everything was just great. I can't get enough of this book. I'm glad they're now a team and we're ready to move on to an actual story with them as a team from the outset.

Action Comics

Enjoyed the issue but not much really happened. I'm starting to get annoyed by this mystery Clark.
Timo
the last, the least and the...
oh fuck it google it yourself
(01-12-2017, 12:50 PM)
Lord end these Amy Racecar issues of Stray Bullets.
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 01:14 PM)

Originally Posted by TheFlow

That is about it. Moon knight(2016) has extreme potential to best the run. So there's that

Tomboy?
Invisible Republic?
Killl or Be Killed?
Southern Bastards?
Deadly Class?
The Fix?
Divinity III?
Bloodshot Reborn?
TheFlow
(01-12-2017, 01:34 PM)

Originally Posted by LaunchpadMcQ

Tomboy?
Invisible Republic?
Killl or Be Killed?
Southern Bastards?
Deadly Class?
The Fix?
Divinity III?
Bloodshot Reborn?

no
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 01:39 PM)

Originally Posted by TheFlow

no

???
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 01:49 PM)
I find this hard to believe.
ElNarez
I say thee nay!
(01-12-2017, 02:13 PM)

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

I can't believe the Chitaurai fleet won the popular vote.
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by ElNarez

I can't believe the Chitaurai fleet won the popular vote.

They didn't even exist in 616 before Sam!Nova started!

(Found it weird how they didn't wait to add and explain them in Secret Wars since they're from Miles' world)
Last edited by LordOfLore; 01-12-2017 at 03:36 PM.
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 02:15 PM)

Originally Posted by KoruptData

Anybody read God Country #1?

Missed this earlier. Yeah, it was phenomenal. I got a bit emotional while reading it; it hit a bit close to home.
KoruptData
(01-12-2017, 02:17 PM)

Missed this earlier. Yeah, it was phenomenal. I got a bit emotional while reading it; it hit a bit close to home.

Cool. Just bought it. Will read on my breaks today.
Lashley
Banned
(01-12-2017, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Yep. Chitauri fucking suck too.
Supaidaman
(01-12-2017, 02:49 PM)
Are the Chitauri just Skrull rejects on 616 too?
GAMEPROFF
(01-12-2017, 02:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Supaidaman

No, they are something difffent
ElNarez
I say thee nay!
(01-12-2017, 03:04 PM)
come on, everyone loves the chitauri, the iconic villains of the hit movie Marvel's The Avengers
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 03:22 PM)
Anyone check out Grave Lilies? It's a Bunn joint, but it looks pretty much unlike most of what he's written. Also, the art style looks interesting
Mindwipe
(01-12-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Supaidaman

Nah, the Chitauri aren't even in the same league of interesting as the Skrull.

Also the idea that they weren't involved in the build up to Secret Wars if they have this enormous fleet is... not super plausible.
Shadowhelper
(01-12-2017, 03:40 PM)
Reading the Brian Wood run of Conan. Seems cool so far, is it worth it though?
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Shadowhelper

Is Brian Wood worth it is a deeply personal question you need to ask yourself.
GAMEPROFF
(01-12-2017, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Mindwipe

Also the idea that they weren't involved in the build up to Secret Wars if they have this enormous fleet is... not super plausible.

Is this their first appearence since Secret Wars? They were one of the biggest player in the galaxy in the Ultimate Universe and I expect them to be merged in this "new" universe.
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF

Is this their first appearence since Secret Wars? They were one of the biggest player in the galaxy in the Ultimate Universe and I expect them to be merged in this "new" universe.

Their pre-SW 616 appearances were(let's see if I can remember this)a fleet of whaleships from the movie that got destroyed by Nova, underlings for Nebula in GotG Team-Up who Gamora recognized as chitauri and attacking Spartax in GotG. After SW they've been in Uncanny Inhumans, Sam Wilson, Steve Rogers, GoI, GotG, Nova and some more places.

No one seems to know what to do with them. When was the last time we had a Skrull heavy arc in a book?
GAMEPROFF
(01-12-2017, 03:53 PM)
Skrulls arent going anywhere, they are mentioned every now and then. They wont be replaced.
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 04:01 PM)

Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF

Skrulls arent going anywhere, they are mentioned every now and then. They wont be replaced.

I know, but I miss arcs with them. Don't even remember when Super-Skrull was last seen. Was it when Infinity ended?
GAMEPROFF
(01-12-2017, 04:04 PM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-4jbYhaecs
Love that Khamala Figure
Roland_Gunner
(01-12-2017, 04:04 PM)
Garth Ennis is writing a new series for Aftershock called Jimmy's Bastards. Its about a James Bond-knock off being confronted by hundreds of his illegitimate offspring. Haven't been a fan Ennis' recent creator owned stuff recently but this sound hilarious.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...cs-artist-tba/
Shadowhelper
(01-12-2017, 04:07 PM)

Is Brian Wood worth it is a deeply personal question you need to ask yourself.

Oh great. I just wanna read an original and finished comic that is also good. This does kinda ruin it, and I know Conan aint original. Should I just drop it? Unless, its amazing...

Wasn't able to get into mind mgmt, maybe try again
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Roland_Gunner

Garth Ennis is writing a new series for Aftershock called Jimmy's Bastards. Its about a James Bond-knock off being confronted by hundreds of his illegitimate offspring. Haven't been a fan Ennis' recent creator owned stuff recently but this sound hilarious.

That sounds like an Ennis comic if I ever heard one
flaxknuckles
(01-12-2017, 04:08 PM)

Aww yes I'm gonna read it
ElBoxyBrown
(01-12-2017, 04:10 PM)

Marc Andreyko and Taran Killam already wrote this book.
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 04:13 PM)
BC: This isn't fun. A bunch of kids went to comic shops for Sinic last year and before.
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 04:17 PM)
I'm disappointed, LordofLore. You're so good with news and you missed an actually groundbreaking announcement. Valiant leggings!

my name is ed
(01-12-2017, 04:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Shadowhelper

Brian Wood writes boring comics but those comics are always drawn really well.

Becky Cloonan, Declan Shalvey and James Harren do the art with Dave Stewart doing colors on that Conan run so if you want to read Conan comics drawn by those people you could do with some average ass writing.

If you happen to be someone that cares about not buying books from creators who sexually harassed others you might not wanna buy any Brian Wood comics.
LordOfLore
(01-12-2017, 04:23 PM)

I'm disappointed, LordofLore. You're so good with news and you missed an actually groundbreaking announcement. Valiant leggings!

You're the Valiant guy! :P
ElBoxyBrown
(01-12-2017, 04:23 PM)

Originally Posted by my name is ed

Brian Wood writes boring comics but those comics are always drawn really well.

Becky Cloonan, Declan Shalvey and James Harren do the art with Dave Stewart doing colors on that Conan run so if you want to read Conan comics drawn by those people you could do with some average ass writing.

If you happen to be someone that cares about not buying books from creators who sexually harassed others you might not wanna buy any Brian Wood comics.

The only Brian Wood comics I like are Mara and his run on Ultimate Comics X-Men. Although Mara kinda jumped the shark towards the end.

Edit: He somehow still gets a lot of female artist doing interiors and covers for his comics. Tula Lotay is doing the covers for Briggs Land.
Last edited by ElBoxyBrown; 01-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(01-12-2017, 04:26 PM)

That sounds Ennis as a mothafucka and I read if the art isn't terrible
Freezasaurus
(01-12-2017, 04:30 PM)

That's a really bizarre place to begin your big marketing push.
ElBoxyBrown
(01-12-2017, 04:32 PM)
WTF? Alfred Molina AKA Doc Ock voices Destiny in Justice League Dark. BTW I hear that movie sucked.
LaunchpadMcQ
(01-12-2017, 04:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

That's a really bizarre place to begin your big marketing push.

They have a few weird knick-knacks already, but this is probably the weirdest one so far.
Freezasaurus
(01-12-2017, 04:37 PM)

They have a few weird knick-knacks already, but this is probably the weirdest one so far.

Next up; Valiant sex toys.