• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Ray Down
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:52 AM)
Ray Down's Avatar
Will be making my film gold post later had enough time to digest the film.
Rebel Leader
THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
(01-12-2017, 03:58 AM)
Rebel Leader's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ray Down

Will be making my film gold post later had enough time to digest the film.

I can see pudding not being in it as a con
jbug617
Member
(01-12-2017, 04:14 AM)
jbug617's Avatar
From the spoilers, Oda is building this up for Sanji to go off. Luffy and Jinbei will have his back at the wedding. Also I wonder who else got invited to the wedding.
Ray Down
Member
(01-12-2017, 04:29 AM)
Ray Down's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rebel Leader

I can see pudding not being in it as a con

Nah...but when she's on the ship this year and not in the next movie I'm gonna be pissed :p
Ray Down
Member
(01-12-2017, 06:46 AM)
Ray Down's Avatar
Okay Film Gold review, to put it short I recommend it, pure entertainment. Strong World was adventure, Z was drama for blacklegs mama and Gold is entertainment. Its the most Strawhatty One Piece film if you get what I'm saying

Animation: Obviously the best looking thing to come out of the anime, its really nice and I like the differences in art style with the last three movies the strawhats all look nice in there outfits through out the movie the best looking are Usopp and Nami. The use of gold is really good and this movies has the best Toei 3D models so far so there steadily improving there.

Soundtrack: Best One in the movies, while not Tanaka the new gys music fits from the vegas style opening music, to the setup music when there coming up with the heist and the final get pumped music.

Characters:
Luffy: Colleen still good as Luffy and is one of the three major strawhats in the movie and he does his role well.

Zoro: For once he is the damsel, he really doesn't do much in the film other then fight and get his shit pushed in by Tessro, but its kinda refreshing Zoro not being one of the major characters for once in these movies.

Nami: She the other major character in the strawhats in the movie, She and Carina are the ones that really come up with the plan to take down Tessero.

Usopp: Gets one of the best fights in the film in how he beats Barbcat.

Sanji: Along with Zoro doesn't get much besides his fights and dressing as a maidor whatever but its kinda refreshing.

Chopper: Not much but this is like all the movies.

Franky: The third strawhat in the movie and this is the most he does in any of the movies with helping luffy break in and very thing, plus some of his reactions.

Brook: About the same as previous movies but he gets the two best laughs in the film.

Sbao; Vic so far sounds fine need to her more.

Koala: Same with Sabo.

Lucci and Spandam: Kinda pointless but it fits the cameos like Garp in Z though I loled when Luffy didn't recognize Span.

Dice: He was funny with his gag about liking pain, should go meet Pudding.

Barbcat: Out of tessero henchmen she is the best her english voice is good and her power is entertaining.

Big head Guy: just reminded me of Blueno, just meh.

Carina: Was fine probably would have helped more if I saw the filler.

Tessero: Probably the same level with Z as a villain, he has a good voice thats effective, a fruit he uses well, tragic backstory thats works (I read the preview stuff with him should have been added to the movie and he works in his role.


Over all it gets a Big Mom out of Pudding.

Only real problem for me is its just the typical anime film story really.
Last edited by Ray Down; 01-12-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Kain
Member
(01-12-2017, 09:14 AM)
Kain's Avatar
Judging by the spoilers and the previous eps

I get the feeling Reijuu will be the major casualty in this arc. Well, "major", we didn't know her before, but still, it would be sad to see her go.
Ray Down
Member
(01-12-2017, 09:18 AM)
Ray Down's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kain

Judging by the spoilers and the previous eps

I get the feeling Reijuu will be the major casualty in this arc. Well, "major", we didn't know her before, but still, it would be sad to see her go.

I don;t know if Oda will do that but I can see it happening all the same.
Would make sense since he hates Sanji.
Ray Down
Member
(01-12-2017, 10:29 AM)
Ray Down's Avatar
Chapter is out btw.
Metal B
Member
(01-12-2017, 10:45 AM)
Metal B's Avatar
Well, now Sanji has to stay and save his sister. We also still have the problem with Jeff.

This all sounds to easy know, there will be a twist. Either they all plan to sabotage the wedding before the "red wedding" happens. Probably using the mirror world to hide and free the prisoners from the books. Or something else happens, which undoes anything at achieved in the last two chapters.
Spinx
Member
(01-12-2017, 10:47 AM)
Luffy's missing tooth is cool. I hope he's like Blackbeard by the end of the manga.

Oh and Judge ... DIEEEEEEEEEENICOLASCAGEINFACEOFF.GIF
Last edited by Spinx; 01-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.
UnemployedVillain
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:00 AM)
UnemployedVillain's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metal B

Well, now Sanji has to stay and save his sister. We also still have the problem with Jeff.

This all sounds to easy know, there will be a twist. Either they all plan to sabotage the wedding before the "red wedding" happens. Probably using the mirror world to hide and free the prisoners from the books. Or something else happens, which undoes anything at achieved in the last two chapters.

Well there is still a bomb...

AND WHAT DID JINBE LOSE FROM THE ROULETTE WHEEL?!
Veelk
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:07 AM)
Veelk's Avatar
I agree with Ray about the chapter being bad. Most of it is just a long winded praise of sanji, which is bad enough, but it has to be done with (what I see as) bad storytelling. Like I said not too long ago, you want characters to be who they are because of their choices, rather than plot devices. Well, here we have "Sanji is good because he got sprayed goodness medicine while in utero, while his brothers are 'emotionless' because of evil surgery".

And of course his mom had to die. It would have been so much more effective if she actually raised her goddamn little cretin like an actual mother.

Honestly, I could see it now, if she just tried to push gentleness and kindness onto her children as they were growing up, with all 3 of the boys rejecting it, while Reiju and Sanji actually responded. It'd just make their mother an actual person, who does things. Maybe even have her still be a part of the present storyline, actually doing things.

Instead, she gets to join the dead mom's brigade. Bah.

Edit: also, how did they get set on fire at the start?
Last edited by Veelk; 01-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(01-12-2017, 11:16 AM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Veelk

I agree with Ray about the chapter being bad. Most of it is just a long winded praise of sanji

Chapter confirmed good
Nibel
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:16 AM)
Nibel's Avatar
Kinda slow chapter
GhostBed
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:19 AM)
GhostBed's Avatar
...Reiju for SHC?
SolVanderlyn
Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
(01-12-2017, 11:23 AM)
SolVanderlyn's Avatar
Yep, chapter was good
Anteater
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:40 AM)
Anteater's Avatar
No Brook this week... and no chapter next week, why you do this oda!?
Clegg
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:42 AM)
Clegg's Avatar
I assume Brook has defeated Big Mom off panel.
Metal B
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:43 AM)
Metal B's Avatar

Originally Posted by UnemployedVillain

Well there is still a bomb...

AND WHAT DID JINBE LOSE FROM THE ROULETTE WHEEL?!

The bomb is unknown to all parties and sound like a setup for a Deus Ex Machina, which could either backfire or support any possible outcome.

I bet, he lost many years of his life. Maybe Luffy actually helps Big Mom against Capone and Pudding. After the event Big Mom and Luffy would get into a stalemate and they sort it out. Luffy would leave her territory, if she gives the missing years back to Pedro and Jinbe (maybe even free the sun pirates and let them join the Straw Hat Grand Fleet).
Anteater
Member
(01-12-2017, 11:46 AM)
Anteater's Avatar
Maybe Jinbei didn't spin the wheel? There's no reason to make that deal if he's planning to rebel.
RalchAC
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:01 PM)
RalchAC's Avatar
Yeah, this chapter has been a bit on the boring side, but at some point somebody had to sit down and talk. Hopefully Sanji gets his act together after all this. The bracelets are fake and, if the Germa is destroyed, nobody would sent orders to destroy the Baratie.

Hopefully Reiju somehow survives and becomes the leader of what remains of the Germa 66 after this arc. I just want her to hit on Zoro!

Originally Posted by Veelk

I agree with Ray about the chapter being bad. Most of it is just a long winded praise of sanji, which is bad enough, but it has to be done with (what I see as) bad storytelling. Like I said not too long ago, you want characters to be who they are because of their choices, rather than plot devices. Well, here we have "Sanji is good because he got sprayed goodness medicine while in utero, while his brothers are 'emotionless' because of evil surgery".

And of course his mom had to die. It would have been so much more effective if she actually raised her goddamn little cretin like an actual mother.

Honestly, I could see it now, if she just tried to push gentleness and kindness onto her children as they were growing up, with all 3 of the boys rejecting it, while Reiju and Sanji actually responded. It'd just make their mother an actual person, who does things. Maybe even have her still be a part of the present storyline, actually doing things.

Instead, she gets to join the dead mom's brigade. Bah.

Edit: also, how did they get set on fire at the start?

We knew that she was going to die from the start, like, I thought we already knew she died. My bet was on food poisoning from Sanji crap cooking though. Wasn't Sanji imprisoned after his mother's death?

In any case, who knows! Luffy's mom might be alive! We know nothing about her, after all.
Veelk
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:05 PM)
Veelk's Avatar

Originally Posted by RalchAC

We knew that she was going to die from the start, like, I thought we already knew she died. My bet was on food poisoning from Sanji crap cooking though. Wasn't Sanji imprisoned after his mother's death?

In any case, who knows! Luffy's mom might be alive! We know nothing about her, after all.

Well, that's more focused on the narrative of the arc as a whole, rather than this specific chapter. I guess this was just a catalyst because of the revelation that she died because of the Good Medicine he used on Sanji vs something more organic like raising her worthless garbage like she should.

But yeah, it just sucks that this is just the constant way he treats moms. I doubt it's going to be any different for Luffy's mom. I doubt she'll be important barring some stupid "I die for Luffy" moment.
Neoriceisgood
(01-12-2017, 12:22 PM)
Neoriceisgood's Avatar
Can't say I disagree with Veelk.


I was actually quite happy with how Sanji's mom didn't have that big an influence in his backstory beyond ... simply being nice and Sanji taking after her behavior-wise, it felt like she was just a positive influence.

I've discussed this with a friend before the arc started, but based on Oda's predictable noble martyr mom trope and Sanji's chivalry we fully expected there'd be something obnoxious like his mom dying for him somehow.

We were pleasantly surprised when we got most of his backstory out of the way without that ever happening but ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯



I actually think Oda probably did the noble self sacrificing mom best with Bellemere, to the point, memorable design and personality & one of the first times he really did it.

By now I barely care anymore, it just feels like a rite of passage in the OP world to have your mom die in a tragic heroic way lol.
RalchAC
Member
(01-12-2017, 12:40 PM)
RalchAC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood

Can't say I disagree with Veelk.


I was actually quite happy with how Sanji's mom didn't have that big an influence in his backstory beyond ... simply being nice and Sanji taking after her behavior-wise, it felt like she was just a positive influence.

I've discussed this with a friend before the arc started, but based on Oda's predictable noble martyr mom trope and Sanji's chivalry we fully expected there'd be something obnoxious like his mom dying for him somehow.

We were pleasantly surprised when we got most of his backstory out of the way without that ever happening but ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I actually think Oda probably did the noble self sacrificing mom best with Bellemere, to the point, memorable design and personality & one of the first times he really did it.

By now I barely care anymore, it just feels like a rite of passage in the OP world to have your mom die in a tragic heroic way lol.

Some character's mums haven't been shown though. Luffy, Zoro, Franky and Brook (eventhough the last one is kind of cheating). Some "mother-like figures" like Makino for Luffy and Kureha for Chopper are still alive. But yeah, there are too many missing or deceased mums in the One Piece world. Portgas D. Rose being, IMO, the worst story of them all. I found really dumb her flashback.

Nami's is probably the best, I agree. Otohime was a good one because she didn't sacrifice for her children alone, but for her kingdom. So it's a bit of a different martyr figure. Both were nice characters before they died. But Usopp's mum didn't sacrifice herself, right? She was just sick. Yasopp is a shit father, though. Leaving your family to start the Revolutionary Army is one thing, but leaving them in order to become a pirate and travel through the seas is something else.
Last edited by RalchAC; 01-12-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(01-12-2017, 12:42 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar
O baby Sanji about to go wild. Chapter needed to happen been balls to the wall crazy chapter after chapter. A reality check was in order
everyday math
Banned
(01-12-2017, 12:52 PM)
Ha! Sanji being told to wake the fuck up and stop with the woe is me shit. Love it.

Jinbe the Strawhat is coming 😎
Neoriceisgood
(01-12-2017, 12:57 PM)
Neoriceisgood's Avatar

Originally Posted by RalchAC

Some character's mums haven't been shown though. Luffy, Zoro, Franky and Brook (eventhough the last one is kind of cheating). Some "mother-like figures" like Makino for Luffy and Kureha for Chopper are still alive. But yeah, there are too many missing or deceased mums in the One Piece world. Portgas D. Rose being, IMO, the worst story of them all. I found really dumb her flashback.

Nami's is probably the best, I agree. Otohime was a good one because she didn't sacrifice for her children alone, but for her kingdom. So it's a bit of a different martyr figure. Both were nice characters before they died. But Usopp's mum didn't sacrifice herself, right? She was just sick. Yasopp is a shit father, though. Leaving your family to start the Revolutionary Army is one thing, but leaving them in order to become a pirate and travel through the seas is something else.

Yeah obviously it isn't some sort of unquestionable rule without exceptions, never meant to imply that.

But it does feel like Oda leans extremely heavily on some level of tragic mom death tropes, to the point where my reaction isn't "oh geez, this is sad" but more along the lines of "well of course".

Here's an interesting one: How many couples (dad + mom) are canonically around in OP with both parents still being alive?

Aside from the new honeymooners Don Sai & Baby 5 I'm actually legitimately struggling to think of any couples in One Piece where both parents are still alive.


If I think about it ...

- Sabo's parents
- Don sai and Baby 5
- Were any of the Celestial dragons married ... ?
- uhm ...
- hm...
- Big mom's many husbands are still alive ... ? :'D
Principate
Saint Titanfall
(01-12-2017, 01:18 PM)
Principate's Avatar
Wait wait wait, Sanji's mom is called Sola or Sora, isn't that the dude from the orginal fight with the vinsmokes? Either Oda forgot or those flashbacks ain't over.
Kreed
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:29 PM)
Kreed's Avatar
One Piece 852:

Guess Oda is going to "play out" what Jinbei lost. Still, with the exploding bracelet not being real, the only thing Sanji has to worry about is Zeff and at a minimum, Sanji can warn Zeff/have Zeff and his friends move to a safer location (maybe with one of Luffy's alliance members/the Sun Pirates) without the fear of exploding. Sanji not needing a key also gets the Straw Hats off the hook for any Big Mom confrontations, so once Brooke/everyone is rescued by Chopper, everyone "could" run for it, although with Luffy I don't think it will be "that" easy.
Neoriceisgood
(01-12-2017, 01:40 PM)
Neoriceisgood's Avatar
Casual reminder that Vito or whatever Capone's henchmen was called also whispered something into Sanji's ear that was on his list of reasons not to disobey.


Now that the other reasons are all mostly gone, I assume that one's still going to play a part. Oda kept it secret for a reason.
BatDan
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:44 PM)
BatDan's Avatar
In two weeks: Chaos Ensues! This is going to be nuts.

Pretty sure Vito mentioned the whole "severed head in a package" thing to him, which Pekoms already revealed.
RalchAC
Member
(01-12-2017, 01:49 PM)
RalchAC's Avatar
On further thought, I'm not especially happy in how the whole backstory in this chapter went:

- I don't think the drug taking was needed. Honestly. She is sick. Her husband is an asshole. Her children are assholes because their father is an asshole. Sanji is weaker, so they bully him, and he has interest in different stuff than his brothers. No need of genetical engineering to get there.
- Reiju being genetically modified to obey his father orders doesn't make much sense. If she can't, why has she been able to give fake bracelets to Sanji?
- I don't mind the bracelets being fake. We knew that Reiju is the only member in the family that has been kind to Sanji. It's ok.
- I would have liked if Sanji's mom had just died. You know, because she was sick. Reiju could have told her to stop eating Sanji's shit because it doesn't do her any favour. She could have said: "it's my duty to root for my children" or something like that so we could all be sad because she was such a tender mother. And she could have asked Reiju to look after him. THE END.

Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood

Yeah obviously it isn't some sort of unquestionable rule without exceptions, never meant to imply that.

But it does feel like Oda leans extremely heavily on some level of tragic mom death tropes, to the point where my reaction isn't "oh geez, this is sad" but more along the lines of "well of course".

Here's an interesting one: How many couples (dad + mom) are canonically around in OP with both parents still being alive?

Aside from the new honeymooners Don Sai & Baby 5 I'm actually legitimately struggling to think of any couples in One Piece where both parents are still alive.


If I think about it ...

- Sabo's parents
- Don sai and Baby 5
- Were any of the Celestial dragons married ... ?
- uhm ...
- hm...
- Big mom's many husbands are still alive ... ? :'D

Yeah, I agree. The "dead mum" trope is used quite often in shonen manga, but in One Piece it's gone overboard.

I want more Baby 5 though. We could have some amazing interactions now that her "I want to be of use" quirk has come to an ending.
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(01-12-2017, 01:51 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar

Originally Posted by BatDan

In two weeks: Chaos Ensues! This is going to be nuts.

Pretty sure Vito mentioned the whole "severed head in a package" thing to him, which Pekoms already revealed.

I'm expecting a meeting in the mirror room soon to form a plan
ArgyleReptile
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:05 PM)
ArgyleReptile's Avatar
I also wasn't too hot about the magic drug that Sanji's mom took.

I mean, the idea somewhat works, given the scientific nature in which the boys were conceived, but just it being a drug doesn't work for me. I feel like something more intensive should've been done. Like she only got partial surgery or something.

But even then, I would've preferred it if the surgery just didn't take for Sanji for whatever reason. Blame it on a mother's love or maybe her will temporarily overrode the surgery, but don't make a drug the reason.

Other than that, the chapter was fine. Sanji is getting his mojo back and is going to make an attempt to save Reiju and Zeff.

It's confirmed that Ichiji has explosion based powers, so we'll see how that'll work out later.
ffdgh
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:05 PM)
ffdgh's Avatar
Reiji is sane as expected. Now the real question is when is luffy's missing tooth going to magically fix itself. It's distracting as heck.
marmoka
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:06 PM)
marmoka's Avatar
I liked this chapter. The conversation between Sanji and Reiju was pretty interesting, we know about the relationship with her mother, and her feelings about Sanji and her family.

This is going to be awesome. I cannot wait for the next chapter. Now that Sanji knows that Zeb is safe, the bracelets are false, Luffy is looking for him like there's no tomorrow, the Charlotte family plans for the wedding,... This is going to be crazy!!

Thank Oda for bringing us another chapter today. I could disconnect from the Switch thread for a while.
Neodiablo22
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:14 PM)
Neodiablo22's Avatar

Originally Posted by ffdgh

Reiji is sane as expected. Now the real question is when is luffy's missing tooth going to magically fix itself. It's distracting as heck.

It won't heal. It gives the crew the opportunity to find a dentist to join the crew. Maybe that is how jinbe will contribute. The dude has nice teeth
More Fun To Compute
Banned
(01-12-2017, 02:17 PM)
More Fun To Compute's Avatar
"The germa cling too fast to their old laurels!" Surprised to read a like like that from MS. Must have been hard to resist the temptation to translate it to something like, "The germa are a bunch of shitty old twats!"
Last edited by More Fun To Compute; 01-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(01-12-2017, 02:22 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar
Didn't expect her to not only be like let them die but let me die as well that's pretty messed up. Obviously Sanji or the strawhats ain't letting that happen. The other 4 can kick the bucket tho.
RalchAC
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:31 PM)
RalchAC's Avatar

Originally Posted by marmoka

I liked this chapter. The conversation between Sanji and Reiju was pretty interesting, we know about the relationship with her mother, and her feelings about Sanji and her family.

This is going to be awesome. I cannot wait for the next chapter. Now that Sanji knows that Zeb is safe, the bracelets are false, Luffy is looking for him like there's no tomorrow, the Charlotte family plans for the wedding,... This is going to be crazy!!

Thank Oda for bringing us another chapter today. I could disconnect from the Switch thread for a while.

Zeff is not "safe". Reiju just said that with no Germa there isn't anybody to tell them to blow up the Baratie.

And Big Mom couldn't care less about Sanji. The Germa could have offered a dog and she would have accepted as long as the clone tech was there.
KuwabaraTheMan
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:38 PM)
KuwabaraTheMan's Avatar
Where the hell was Pudding?!

That chapter was definitely on the weaker side compared to the recent run of them. A shame that this is the only one we're getting in such a stretch of time. But now that this is done with, at least we should hopefully start moving towards the climax of the arc.
Cloud Strife
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:40 PM)
Cloud Strife's Avatar
My thoughts...

Sanji is just a nice guy, and the only reason he is who he is is because he wasn't fucked with a birth. BUT, that doesn't mean he couldn't have turned out differently. In short, Reiju's main point isn't that Sanji having feelings is because of his mother messing up the experiment, but being a nice guy is WHO HE IS. Sure she messed up things, but Sanji was just born as a normal person and his actions demonstrate his convictions.

Reiju has reminded Sanji of a time before Zeff, a time where he was just a kid. Right now Sanji is struggling to figure out what to do, and how he should act, and Reiju is literally helping him out. Not sure how I feel about this development because I wanted Sanji to come to this realization on his own, and not because someone told him to, but whatever.

I think his mother was incredibly brave for the situation she was in. Doubt she had much control against Judge at all.

Guess we'll have to hold off on the explanation about Jinbei until later. If it's true that Jinbei has lost some life and is going to die soonish or in the near future then I could see him telling Nami and no one else. Hope that's not the case though.

As for Reiju, either she's gonna die or join the crew in some form, potentially as the leader of Germa in the alliance against Kaido. It does seem like she wants nothing to do with Germa but perhaps she'll be convinced that she can use her powers for good. In any case, I wonder if she'll attend the Reverie after all of this if she survives.
Cloud Strife
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:44 PM)
Cloud Strife's Avatar

Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood

Casual reminder that Vito or whatever Capone's henchmen was called also whispered something into Sanji's ear that was on his list of reasons not to disobey.


Now that the other reasons are all mostly gone, I assume that one's still going to play a part. Oda kept it secret for a reason.

We already know what that was. It was that they have Zeff hostage.
Metal B
Member
(01-12-2017, 02:49 PM)
Metal B's Avatar

Originally Posted by RalchAC

On further thought, I'm not especially happy in how the whole backstory in this chapter went:

- I don't think the drug taking was needed. Honestly. She is sick. Her husband is an asshole. Her children are assholes because their father is an asshole. Sanji is weaker, so they bully him, and he has interest in different stuff than his brothers. No need of genetical engineering to get there.

They modified her body, so she can bear those genetic modified children. She took the drug to screw with the modification and to get "failed" ego normal kids, which was only Sanji. That's why, he had a special place in her heart.

Originally Posted by RalchAC

- Reiju being genetically modified to obey his father orders doesn't make much sense. If she can't, why has she been able to give fake bracelets to Sanji?

That's still the big secret. I guess, either her genetics are closer to Sanji than her other brothers. So she had good part of there powers (just weaker) and can resist the order of her father on some level. Or the connection to her mother changed her, which would give her brothers also the possibility to change.

No matter which way this goes, her father never found out of her resist, since Sanji was always weaker and Reiju simply followed orders.

Originally Posted by RalchAC

- I would have liked if Sanji's mom had just died. You know, because she was sick. Reiju could have told her to stop eating Sanji's shit because it doesn't do her any favour. She could have said: "it's my duty to root for my children" or something like that so we could all be sad because she was such a tender mother. And she could have asked Reiju to look after him. THE END.

I think, it would be weird, if the Vinsmokes randomly failed with there experiment. His mother being forced into it and screwing with the project, to give birth to a normal child, has much more agency.

Originally Posted by RalchAC

Yeah, I agree. The "dead mum" trope is used quite often in shonen manga, but in One Piece it's gone overboard.

The dead mother trope has a reason, why it gets used that often. Children from a healthy family have less reason to seek adventures. Becoming a pirate means becoming a criminal, so you need to be a little wrong in your head to go for it. Also if you have no good influence as a child, you rarely become a good person.

So the dead mother trope gives you an early good influence and a troubled family condition at once. A good way to get a moralistic good adventurer.
NSESN
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:30 PM)
NSESN's Avatar
Please Reiju don't die

BTW, seeing that Reiju wants to die, I have a feeling that the whole Pudding thing was an act. Reiju and Pudding are working together to stop the wedding and make SH scape, but knowing how Luffy and Sanji are they tricked Sanji to watch and modified Luffy and nami's memories.
It probably won't happen. But it feels really strange to me Reiju being fine so fast about dying, like she was already expecting it.
TheFlow
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:32 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar
Damn insta feels. Oda loves to do flashbacks but I can't complain because they are pretty damn good
Cloud Strife
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:34 PM)
Cloud Strife's Avatar

Originally Posted by NSESN

Please Reiju don't die

BTW, seeing that Reiju wants to die, I have a feeling that the whole Pudding thing was an act. Reiju and Pudding are working together to stop the wedding and make SH scape, but knowing how Luffy and Sanji are they tricked Sanji to watch and modified Luffy and nami's memories.
It probably won't happen. But it feels really strange to me Reiju being fine so fast about dying, like she was already expecting it.

It's not that she was expecting it, but that she's so done with the Germa. A situation like this won't phase her because she believes they deserve to die anyway.

I wonder if Judge actually did anticipate this scenario...for a genius scientist it seems rather odd otherwise.
NSESN
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:40 PM)
NSESN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cloud Strife

It's not that she was expecting it, but that she's so done with the Germa. A situation like this won't phase her because she believes they deserve to die anyway.

I wonder if Judge actually did anticipate this scenario...for a genius scientist it seems rather odd otherwise.

It can be true too. But it's just my gut feeling that Oda will make a more elaborate story of this.
Either way i am really afraid Oda will pull an Ace on us.
Blackleg-sanji1
Goten Enthusiast
(01-12-2017, 03:45 PM)
Blackleg-sanji1's Avatar
Remember when we all thought pudding was good and Reiju had a hidden agenda...Good times
KuwabaraTheMan
Member
(01-12-2017, 03:46 PM)
KuwabaraTheMan's Avatar

Originally Posted by NSESN

Please Reiju don't die

BTW, seeing that Reiju wants to die, I have a feeling that the whole Pudding thing was an act. Reiju and Pudding are working together to stop the wedding and make SH scape, but knowing how Luffy and Sanji are they tricked Sanji to watch and modified Luffy and nami's memories.
It probably won't happen. But it feels really strange to me Reiju being fine so fast about dying, like she was already expecting it.

They had no way of knowing that Sanji would be watching. Not to mention, they were already in the middle of things when Sanji showed up. And Reiju had already been shot prior to that.

I don't think you can really make a credible "Pudding is just putting on an act" theory right now.

Thread Tools