• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheDarkKnight774
Member
(01-01-2017, 03:32 AM)
TheDarkKnight774's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

I was wrong about Gaiman Sandman being #1 for the third time. Claremont/Bryne X-Men is the #1 on the Top 100, and it wasnt even close. Like damn near a thousand point difference.

Between the two I'd still pick Sandman. But that run was good too.
frye
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:00 AM)
frye's Avatar
comics

in 2017

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC



rip boyz

Dillon and Phife were the two deaths this year that hurt the most for me, rip
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:02 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by frye

Dillon and Phife were the two deaths this year that hurt the most for me, rip

Not Cooke? Rly?
Brian Fellows
Pete Carroll Owns Me
(01-01-2017, 04:02 AM)
Brian Fellows's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

IGN is doing a best comic series of 2016 poll. They actually picked some good series.

Series: Monstress
New Series: The Fix
Limited or Mini: Tokyo Ghost
Art: Sana Takeda for Monstress
Writer: Marjorie Liu for Monstress
Moment: Negan
frye
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:05 AM)
frye's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Not Cooke? Rly?

i mean, it's not a competition or nothing, but yeah
VanWinkle
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:28 AM)
VanWinkle's Avatar
I'm just about finished with Batman & Robin Eternal.

I think Bluebird (Harper Row) is a great character and I don't care who knows it!
Li Kao
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:34 AM)
Li Kao's Avatar
Nearly finished with Gotham by Midnight, what a shame this series was so short lived. I must read more Fawkes.
PsychBat!
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:41 AM)
PsychBat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Worse than Phantom Menace, though? TPM didn't even feel like a Star Wars movie.

I cannot overlook the terrible dialogue between Anakin and Padme.
Roman
Member
(01-01-2017, 04:56 AM)
Roman's Avatar
I just want to say that I strongly hope Unstoppable Wasp catches on. I find the concept really strong and haven't felt such a profound connection to a character since Stephanie Brown.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 05:06 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roman

I just want to say that I strongly hope Unstoppable Wasp catches on. I find the concept really strong and haven't felt such a profound connection to a character since Stephanie Brown.

If it doesn't I'm sure Marvel will be more than happy to shove it down our throats ala Captain Marvel.
Roman
Member
(01-01-2017, 05:14 AM)
Roman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

If it doesn't I'm sure Marvel will be more than happy to shove it down our throats ala Captain Marvel.

I kind of doubt that. This character is so different from the MCU Hope Pym version that they might as well be completely unrelated. If this sells poorly I don't think Marvel would give it a lot of chances.

The Captain Marvel situation is unprecedented in my eyes, I have a hard time remembering such a jarring disconnect between the tone of a book and fan reaction.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 06:08 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roman

The Captain Marvel situation is unprecedented in my eyes, I have a hard time remembering such a jarring disconnect between the tone of a book and fan reaction.

It's like Marvel is trying so hard to show everyone that they're being progressive by pushing a not-naked female character, that they won't let anyone get in the way of that. Not even their audience.
kmfdmpig
Member
(01-01-2017, 06:33 AM)
kmfdmpig's Avatar
Nice work with the OP. Also, it seems like the covers this month are mostly really good.

Happy New Years, everyone!
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 06:34 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by kmfdmpig

Nice work with the OP. Also, it seems like the covers this month are mostly really good.

We don't even pay attention to content anymore, we just pick the prettiest covers.

The first list of 2017!

Flintstones #7
Saga #41
Walking Dead #162
USAvengers #1
Giant Days #22

...Is a very small list.
Sandfox
Member
(01-01-2017, 06:52 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roman

I kind of doubt that. This character is so different from the MCU Hope Pym version that they might as well be completely unrelated. If this sells poorly I don't think Marvel would give it a lot of chances.

The Captain Marvel situation is unprecedented in my eyes, I have a hard time remembering such a jarring disconnect between the tone of a book and fan reaction.

?

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

It's like Marvel is trying so hard to show everyone that they're being progressive by pushing a not-naked female character, that they won't let anyone get in the way of that. Not even their audience.

I would imagine it's because they expect interest in the character to grow as time moves on and are trying to find a creative team that works. So far the new run seems to be better than the others IMO, but if they don't like the results then I would personally try something different depending on what Marvel's plans for the entire line are in the next two years.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 06:55 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

I would imagine it's because they expect interest in the character to grow as time moves on and are trying to find a creative team that works. So far the new run seems to be better than the others IMO, but if they don't like the results then I would personally try something different depending on what Marvel's plans for the entire line are in the next two years.

With a commitment to a Captain Marvel movie, they're pretty much locked-in to their character choice now. I don't expect that will change, even if they fail to find a way to make her more interesting. They'll just double-down and refuse to admit they were wrong.
Sandfox
Member
(01-01-2017, 07:12 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

With a commitment to a Captain Marvel movie, they're pretty much locked-in to their character choice now. I don't expect that will change, even if they fail to find a way to make her more interesting. They'll just double-down and refuse to admit they were wrong.

She's going to have a book, but it will be interesting to see the landscape of Marvel female led books in 2019.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 07:26 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

She's going to have a book, but it will be interesting to see the landscape of Marvel female led books in 2019.

Two years into the Trump regime. Woof.
Tizoc
Member
(01-01-2017, 07:43 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

Here is a bit of how the sausage is made. This is a message I got from freeza.



I am not taking the blame for this one.

You're still getting it because you could've swapped out Rom yourself you lazy bum :V
Penguin
(01-01-2017, 07:54 AM)
Penguin's Avatar
Seems like Johns will be revisiting Rebirth this year...

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/statu...50084024328192

And 1) Writing comics again... stay tuned! Happy New Year!!!

BKatastrophe
Member
(01-01-2017, 07:56 AM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheFlow

I will do my best of 2016 writeup when these paint meds kick in

You sure you saw a doctor?

Originally Posted by TheFlow

Not going to lie idw is basically transformers + random titles

TMNT + Hasbro comics + Locke and Key + everything else

Originally Posted by PsychBat!

Here it is

Why am I even on there? Y'all need to step your game up

Originally Posted by whatsinaname

I really haven't been reading super-hero comics for that long... It's only with Marvel Unlimited that I've been reading more of them. Before that, it was always just an arc here or a trade there. And none of those stand up well outside of continuity.

I will shill the fuck out of some X books if you need me to.
PsychBat!
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:21 AM)
PsychBat!'s Avatar

It's custom made and it costs over a grand. I didn't buy it, I only found it.
mreddie
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:26 AM)
mreddie's Avatar
happi noo year

Originally Posted by Roman

I just want to say that I strongly hope Unstoppable Wasp catches on. I find the concept really strong and haven't felt such a profound connection to a character since Stephanie Brown.

I hope so but Marvel has been weird with what books they keep and what they can.

Mockingbird gets 8 issues, canned before 2nd trade, sells good
Moon Girl sells like crap but trades save it.
And greenlighting books no one needs like 3 GUNMENS.
Last edited by mreddie; 01-01-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Ross61
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:31 AM)
Ross61's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

Seems like Johns will be revisiting Rebirth this year...

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/statu...50084024328192

Also confirmed we getting a new DC show 🤔

And lmao at the Manhattan pic. Troll god.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:34 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

You're still getting it because you could've swapped out Rom yourself you lazy bum :V

Pls. ROM has been really good so far. BK will back me up.

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

You sure you saw a doctor?

He saw Sillymonkey pretending to be a doctor.
Tizoc
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:38 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Pls. ROM has been really good so far. BK will back me up.



He saw Sillymonkey pretending to be a doctor.

I'll give it a read but if puts me to sleep, then once again y'all be reading some dull-ass comics :V
Sandfox
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:46 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by mreddie

happi noo year



I hope so but Marvel has been weird with what books they keep and what they can.

Mockingbird gets 8 issues, canned before 2nd trade, sells good
Moon Girl sells like crap but trades save it.
And greenlighting books no one needs like 3 GUNMENS.

Foolkiller is that book we didn't ask for, but needed.

With Mockingbird I feel they should've been given it a few more issues, but sales were not good. I think Angela should've gotten another trade as well. Moon Girl has trade sales, Scholastic, and audience going for it.

I don't have high expectations for Wasp in terms of sales, but I expect the character to have a role in the universe going forward.
BKatastrophe
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:51 AM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar

Originally Posted by PsychBat!

It's custom made and it costs over a grand. I didn't buy it, I only found it.

Niiiiiiice

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Pls. ROM has been really good so far. BK will back me up.

The fucking best

Couldn't find the "I release you like a butterfly" panel though. My favorite panel in the whole series so far.
MHWilliams
(01-01-2017, 08:53 AM)
MHWilliams's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ross61

Also confirmed we getting a new DC show ��

If you didn't think CW was going to fill out its slate of solid-performing shows with something on Friday, I got nothing for you. Even Legends is "good enough".
PsychBat!
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:54 AM)
PsychBat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

Niiiiiiice

It's okay, not sure if I can afford it anytime soon.
mreddie
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:55 AM)
mreddie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

Foolkiller is that book we didn't ask for, but needed.

With Mockingbird I feel they should've been given it a few more issues, but sales were not good. I think Angela should've gotten another trade as well. Moon Girl has trade sales, Scholastic, and audience going for it.

I don't have high expectations for Wasp in terms of sales, but I expect the character to have a role in the universe going forward.

I hope so but with Runaways and C/D coming to MCU, the young heroes in the Marvelverse are getting crowded.

Also member Gravity?
Ross61
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:56 AM)
Ross61's Avatar

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

If you didn't think CW was going to fill out its slate of solid-performing shows with something on Friday, I got nothing for you.

Didn't just confirm one, said multiple are coming. Maybe HBO or Netflix? Or that Static Shock show on their Blue Ribbon service.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:01 AM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by PsychBat!

It's okay, not sure if I can afford it anytime soon.

Didn't you order that $700 Spidey 2099 statue? Way cooler than this one.
MHWilliams
(01-01-2017, 09:02 AM)
MHWilliams's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ross61

Didn't just confirm one, said multiple are coming. Maybe HBO or Netflix? Or that Static Shock show on their Blue Ribbon service.

Black Lightning is already in production, with a pilot commitment at Fox and Freedom Fighters: The Ray is coming to CW Seed. EDIT: I guess you can also count Powerless on NBC.

The new announcement is the one I think would be hitting CW on Friday.
Last edited by MHWilliams; 01-01-2017 at 09:04 AM.
mreddie
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:06 AM)
mreddie's Avatar

Originally Posted by MHWilliams

Black Lightning is already in production, with a pilot commitment at Fox and Freedom Fighters: The Ray is coming to CW Seed. EDIT: I guess you can also count Powerless on NBC.

The new announcement is the one I think would be hitting CW on Friday.

Another DC show?

Fuck, Crazy Ex Girlfriend will be banished to Saturdays now
Sandfox
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:14 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by mreddie

I hope so but with Runaways and C/D coming to MCU, the young heroes in the Marvelverse are getting crowded.

Also member Gravity?

Antman and Wasp is coming as well though.
PsychBat!
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:16 AM)
PsychBat!'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Didn't you order that $700 Spidey 2099 statue? Way cooler than this one.

yeah, i guess i'm just a sucker for sp0ck

too much money for my blood though
mreddie
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:17 AM)
mreddie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

Antman and Wasp is coming as well though.

Which is shocking it's still on ice since Astoshing ended.
Sandfox
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:21 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by mreddie

Which is shocking it's still on ice since Astoshing ended.

I'm expecting him to return in the second half on the year.
echoshifting
(01-01-2017, 10:30 AM)
echoshifting's Avatar
Happy new year comicgaf!

Glad to see everyone still loves great comics and that the flow is staying well medicated

I've only read a couple of comics since Christmas, I've been so busy.
BKatastrophe
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:51 AM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar
Finished NYX. Weird series with a disappointing ending. Bummed as I was really getting attached to those characters. Last issue felt pretty rushed.

Did anything happen to this crew in the future? They show up in the Women of Marvel: X-23 one-shot and Kiden shows up in Messiah War, but beyond that is there anything?
Donniewahlberg
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:23 AM)
Donniewahlberg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

IGN is doing a best comic series of 2016 poll. They actually picked some good series.

At least HB got a look in on best moment. Criminal lack of BPRD after the year it had though.
LordOfLore
Member
(01-01-2017, 12:56 PM)
LordOfLore's Avatar
Happy new year! Got knocked out by lack of sleep at 03:00.
Ross61
Member
(01-01-2017, 01:02 PM)
Ross61's Avatar
Happy New Year comic-gaf.
Man Steps On Rake
Member
(01-01-2017, 02:43 PM)
Man Steps On Rake's Avatar
It's a new year it's a new me.
TetraxShards
Member
(01-01-2017, 02:44 PM)
TetraxShards's Avatar

Originally Posted by Man Steps On Rake

It's a new year it's a new me.

IT'S A NEW YEAR YES IT IS
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 02:45 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar
I would pull a Black Lightning book in a heartbeat. the show sounds good too.


Comics I read this week. so far out of these new Image Books Reborn is my favorite. still gotta read the two heavy hitters though.

Omega Men #1-12
All-Star Batman #1-3
Hulk #1
Great Lake Avengers #3
Rocket Racoon #1
Black Panther #9
Spider-man #11
Thanos #2
Deadly Class #25
Snotgirl #5
Birthright #7
Birthright#8
Birthright #9
Birthright #10
Birthright# #11
Birthright #12
Birthright #13
Birthright #14
Birthright #15
Birthright #16
Birthright #17
Birthright #18
Birthright#19
Birthright #20
Seven to Eternity #3
Seven to Eternity #4
Reborn #1
Reborn #2
Reborn #3
Lake of Fire #3
Lake of Fire #4
Lake of Fire #5
Weavers #1
Weavers #2
Weavers #3
Weavers #4
Weavers #5
Weavers #6
Last edited by TheFlow; 01-01-2017 at 02:47 PM.
WadiumArcadium
Member
(01-01-2017, 03:01 PM)
WadiumArcadium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

IGN is doing a best comic series of 2016 poll. They actually picked some good series.

Voted for Vision. Definitely my favourite series of the year.
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 03:17 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar
I felt like who ever put the titles in the list had no idea what they were doing half the time. Best comic book series has stuff like doom patrol which only has like 3 issues, while new comic book series has stuff like black Panther. Best art teams is full of bs. Good nominations but a lot of stuff was missed.

anyway this is what I voted from what they had

Best comic book series

Deadly class

Best New comic book series

Black Panther

Best limited of mini series

Sheriff of Babylon

Best comic book art team

Monstress

Best cover

Moon Knight #5

Best Writer

Tom King

Bes comic book moment

return of Wally West
ViewtifulJC
#AugsLivesMatter
(01-01-2017, 03:46 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
Cary Nord is drawing a Deathstroke ongoing huh

edit: the three page Tom Scili back-ups of Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye are far and away the best thing DC is currently publishing.
Last edited by ViewtifulJC; 01-01-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Thread Tools