• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:10 PM)
Messi's Avatar
Monstress is all art.
VanWinkle
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:17 PM)
VanWinkle's Avatar
Started Secret Six Vol 4 last night. End of the pre-N52 series. Forgot how much I love this book. I would love to have an omnibus of it some day.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:17 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

Monstress is all art.

Pffft. Maybe the story isn't what you enjoy, but that doesn't mean there's no substance to it.
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:19 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Pffft. Maybe the story isn't what you enjoy, but that doesn't mean there's no substance to it.

I didn't say otherwise. Anything that posts from my name is my opinion.
ElBoxyBrown
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:24 PM)
ElBoxyBrown's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Pffft. Maybe the story isn't what you enjoy, but that doesn't mean there's no substance to it.

If it was drawn by Greg Land would the story still hold substance?
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 08:26 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

If it was drawn by Greg Land would the story still hold substance?

Yes, but it would be an atrocity to look at.
Hagi
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:01 PM)
Hagi's Avatar
Sunstone by Greg Land would be a sight to see. Shit he probably has about 50 reference folders full of screen-caps he could use.
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:02 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

Monstress is all art.

I chuckled

Edit: glad you like it freeza.

I am going to be sad once I finish up the latest issue.


Surprised nobody is talking about deadly class #25
Last edited by TheFlow; 01-01-2017 at 09:04 PM.
echoshifting
(01-01-2017, 09:06 PM)
echoshifting's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hagi

Sunstone by Greg Land would be a sight to see. Shit he probably has about 50 reference folders full of screen-caps he could use.

Holy shit I would quit comics
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:08 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar
Sex criminals with cho drawing would be even crazier
ElBoxyBrown
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:10 PM)
ElBoxyBrown's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Yes, but it would be an atrocity to look at.

Wouldn't the art completely go against what the story is trying to convey?
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:21 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Wouldn't the art completely go against what the story is trying to convey?

Of course. But it's no less ridiculous than the hypothetical situation where Land would get work on that book to begin with.
LordOfLore
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:23 PM)
LordOfLore's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Seen "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with my father and "The Jungle Book" with my little sister this New Year's Day. Sitting down in a cinema for "Arrival" now.

Have a nice evening~

"Arrival" was great.

Made me long for a book series starting with a reimagined first meeting between Mar-Vell and Danvers. Might do a short write-up tomorrow. I imagine 5 volumes. Act 1-3(From Space, From Earth, In All), Epilogue, Legacy.

Title: "The Marvel"
Last edited by LordOfLore; 01-01-2017 at 09:27 PM.
BKatastrophe
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:23 PM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar
And Astonishing X-Men gives me another disappointing tale with Astonishing X-Men Vol. 8: Children of the Brood. Well, half of it was disappointing. The Gage/Bobillo issues were, but we got Broo out of it and some decent action, even if Bobillo's art is atrocious. The Asmus/Yardin/Walta issue was enjoyable. Just Emma Frost helping Danger to be human.

Another mediocre tale that I'm still deciding if it was better or worse than Way's stint. I am sadder on this day.
ElBoxyBrown
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:24 PM)
ElBoxyBrown's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Of course. But it's no less ridiculous than the hypothetical situation where Land would get work on that book to begin with.

Most of the good things people say about Monstress is that it looks like something out of Final Fantasy. I don't hear too much about the story.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(01-01-2017, 09:29 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

And Astonishing X-Men gives me another disappointing tale with Astonishing X-Men Vol. 8: Children of the Brood. Well, half of it was disappointing. The Gage/Bobillo issues were, but we got Broo out of it and some decent action, even if Bobillo's art is atrocious. The Asmus/Yardin/Walta issue was enjoyable. Just Emma Frost helping Danger to be human.

Another mediocre tale that I'm still deciding if it was better or worse than Way's stint. I am sadder on this day.

reading post-Whedon Astonishing X-Men

IN 2017
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:30 PM)
Messi's Avatar
Sex Criminals might have a decent release schedule if it had an artist who didn't think he was a writer
ElBoxyBrown
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:32 PM)
ElBoxyBrown's Avatar
Rocafort completed his 4th sketch book.

This was his first sketch 4 years ago:

I really hope he does an art book. He has so much material.
BKatastrophe
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:34 PM)
BKatastrophe's Avatar

Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC

reading post-Whedon Astonishing X-Men

IN 2017

I figured "why not?" The Astonishing line only has about twelve volumes and then turns into Amazing X-Men which only has about two. It'd be nice to find a hidden gem. A run that's good, but no one talks about it. Ellis's short run post-Whedon was pretty dope. So it's not all terrible.

Plus it's be nice to read an entire line that lasts for more than twelve issues.
Brian Fellows
Pete Carroll Owns Me
(01-01-2017, 09:47 PM)
Brian Fellows's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

If it was drawn by Greg Land would the story still hold substance?

Yup.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 09:50 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Most of the good things people say about Monstress is that it looks like something out of Final Fantasy. I don't hear too much about the story.

Because the art is the thing that's most immediately striking about it and the thing that can be commented on in a single sentence. Be mindful of the 140-character-or-less-driven world we live in these days.

Originally Posted by Messi

Sex Criminals might have a decent release schedule if it had an artist who didn't think he was a writer

Wow. Sick burn. Though I don't think Zdarsky is actually a bad writer. And Sex Criminals isn't so good a book that I'd get salty over missing it.

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Rocafort completed his 4th sketch book.

This was his first sketch 4 years ago:

I really hope he does an art book. He has so much material.

He has some really brilliant stuff in those sketchbooks.
La Maquinon
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:26 PM)
La Maquinon's Avatar
Wow, what happened to Clean Room? It was good through the first 6 issues or so, before it began to stumble. And the last couple of issues are just bad.

It gives the impression that Simone didn't expect it to go more than an arc. When it did, she just started pulling stuff out of her ass. Disappointing.
Brian Fellows
Pete Carroll Owns Me
(01-01-2017, 10:29 PM)
Brian Fellows's Avatar
2017 is off to a good start. Just had to put one of my cats to sleep. RIP Jibberjabber. :(

Also I put hole in my computer monitor with my fist so I'm going to need a new one of those. But that was my fault and unrelated to my cat.
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:32 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Because the art is the thing that's most immediately striking about it and the thing that can be commented on in a single sentence. Be mindful of the 140-character-or-less-driven world we live in these days.



Wow. Sick burn. Though I don't think Zdarsky is actually a bad writer. And Sex Criminals isn't so good a book that I'd get salty over missing it.



He has some really brilliant stuff in those sketchbooks.

Sex criminals is better than 90% of books on the stands.
Lashley
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:33 PM)
Lashley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

Sex Criminals might have a decent release schedule if it had an artist who didn't think he was a writer

The constant delays have killed the comic for me, isnt even back until February either
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:34 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

Sex criminals is better than 90% of books on the stands.

I definitely don't agree with that. 86% tops.
PsychBat!
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:37 PM)
PsychBat!'s Avatar
I'll never be part of the cool kids if I don't read Sex Criminals.
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:37 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

The constant delays have killed the comic for me, isnt even back until February either

I'd rather they delay it than force a book they aren't feeling. See 90% of all image books after the first arc.

Just read it in arcs. As all image comics should be. Singles were a mistake.
ElBoxyBrown
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:38 PM)
ElBoxyBrown's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

The constant delays have killed the comic for me, isnt even back until February either

It's an anology for Chipp's sex life.
Lashley
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:39 PM)
Lashley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

I'd rather they delay it than force a book they aren't feeling. See 90% of all image books after the first arc.

Just read it in arcs. As all image comics should be. Singles were a mistake.

yeah, I seem to be reading more and more books as arcs, I just enjoy em more that way
Lashley
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:40 PM)
Lashley's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

It's an anology for Chipp's sex life.

He suffers from delayed ejaculation?
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:44 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

yeah, I seem to be reading more and more books as arcs, I just enjoy em more that way

They are clearly written that way imo
Lashley
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:45 PM)
Lashley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

They are clearly written that way imo

I agree. Can't really think of any book that reads better as a single.

I read events as they come out, and a few other books but thats it.
ElBoxyBrown
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:46 PM)
ElBoxyBrown's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

He suffers from delayed ejaculation?

Delayed sexual gratification.
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:49 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar
Sex criminal first 10 maybe 11 is great comics sometimes good. After that and it is just meh.

I agree some books kinda become eh after the first arc from image like birthright. Still hyped for sex criminals to return.
Foofaraw
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:49 PM)
Foofaraw's Avatar
Knight Errant: Aflame 1-5

Um. I wanted some good fashion, Old Republic hyjinks. I guess it had some of that. One of the Sith Lords in the book at least feels uniquely crazy/evil. A complete narcissist to who's line of logic brought him to believe he is so fantastic, he must be God, and everyone else is an illusion he created to amuse himself.

The art, though. Feels like Land style trace work. Not great. Actively mediocre. I might read Deluge, but I should probably read Vision instead.
La Maquinon
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:53 PM)
La Maquinon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lashley

I agree. Can't really think of any book that reads better as a single.

Flintstones.

Noticed that Jonesy was mentioned in the OP this month. Woot! Y'all should I read that. It will make you happy.
Last edited by La Maquinon; 01-01-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:53 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheFlow

Still hyped for sex criminals to return.

So long as they can keep up a regular release schedule.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(01-01-2017, 10:53 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by BKatastrophe

I figured "why not?" The Astonishing line only has about twelve volumes and then turns into Amazing X-Men which only has about two. It'd be nice to find a hidden gem. A run that's good, but no one talks about it. Ellis's short run post-Whedon was pretty dope. So it's not all terrible.

Plus it's be nice to read an entire line that lasts for more than twelve issues.

The modern X-Men deep cut I like to point towards is BKV's Ultimate X-Men run. He was supposed to just be a fill-in for four issues until Bryan Singer got on the book. Yes, THAT Bryan Singer. But that never materialized, so BKV stayed on the book alongside some fine artists like Brandon Peterson, Adam Kubert, and Stuart Immonen did the last 12 issues. Its mostly self-contained and accessible. After Mark Millar's unlikable caricatures and Bendis'...whatever, BKV finally gives the Ultimate X-Men some strong characterizations, and his reboot of the X-Villians is quite entertaining. Great team dynamics, strong artwork, effectively uses sub-plots inside the main arcs to build reader interest and actually come to a real conclusion in the last story arc. Its all the things people say they like about X-Men team books, so why not give it a read?

also you can see the context for this hilarious pair of panels



Sandfox
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:56 PM)
Sandfox's Avatar
The damage control by Rich in the replies to this tweet is hilarious:
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/815652981521678336
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 10:57 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

So long as they can keep up a regular release schedule.

I give them an arc.

--------

A lot of modern books are designed for arcs now a days. It depends on the writer and genre of the book in most cases.
Malyse
stop advertising threads
(01-01-2017, 11:07 PM)
Malyse's Avatar
So ready for Batwoman.
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:10 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by La Maquinon

Flintstones.

Noticed that Jonesy was mentioned in the OP this month. Woot! Y'all should I read that. It will make you happy.

I'll likely feature most months. It's one of booms best
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:17 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheFlow

I give them an arc.

Whoa, an optimist!

Originally Posted by Messi

I'll likely feature most months. It's one of booms best

I've never read it. I assumed you were picking it for the covers.
Messi
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:20 PM)
Messi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freezasaurus

Whoa, an optimist!



I've never read it. I assumed you were picking it for the covers.

You should read it. I read all the boom books I featured.

Supposedly they have been banking issues of Sex Criminals for quite a while in order to have a regular schedule.
Freezasaurus
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:33 PM)
Freezasaurus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messi

You should read it. I read all the boom books I featured.

Is Boom the new Image?
Lashley
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:34 PM)
Lashley's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

The damage control by Rich in the replies to this tweet is hilarious:
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/815652981521678336

I can't stand Rich
my name is ed
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:34 PM)
my name is ed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

The damage control by Rich in the replies to this tweet is hilarious:
https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/815652981521678336

Dude can't handle being subtweeted never mind actual criticism
TheFlow
Member
(01-01-2017, 11:34 PM)
TheFlow's Avatar
D.C. Is feeling like the new image.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(01-01-2017, 11:36 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
Drawn & Quarterly is clearly the new Image

whatever the fuck that means

Thread Tools