• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

zroid
(01-01-2017, 05:56 PM)
Punjabi call of Kessel's goal last night so good https://twitter.com/HkyNightPunjabi/...70227118534656

Originally Posted by User33

4 of those were against Latvia though.

somebody's gotta score 'em. if you devalue his points for being against weak opposition then you have to consider why other players didn't score against the same weak opposition too. it balances out.
User33
(01-01-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by zroid

somebody's gotta score 'em. if you devalue his points for being against weak opposition then you have to consider why other players didn't score against the same weak opposition too. it balances out.

I don't really agree. Some players just excel against weak competition. These are the players who put up points in the junior leagues, but struggle in the NHL which you see all the time. I remember this was particularly pronounced when I looked at Faksa's draft year gamelogs and saw that a disproportionate amount of his point total came against garbage teams like Erie that year.

Strome has also been getting a ridiculous amount of PP time so of course he's going to put up points against a team without a good PK or goalie.
zroid
(01-01-2017, 06:02 PM)

I don't really agree. Some players just excel against weak competition. These are the players who put up points in the junior leagues, but struggle in the NHL which you see all the time. I remember this was particularly pronounced when I looked at Faksa's draft year gamelogs and saw that a disproportionate amount of his point total came against garbage teams like Erie that year.

ok but the sample size is way too small to worry about that kind of thing

i mean drawing conclusions from this tournament in general is a bad idea
User33
(01-01-2017, 06:06 PM)

ok but the sample size is way too small to worry about that kind of thing

i mean drawing conclusions from this tournament in general is a bad idea

The problem isn't that you shouldn't be drawing any conclusions to the tournament, it's weighting the tournament over everything else. When you weigh his disappointing juniors performance with his disappointing NHL debut and the opinion of intelligent scouts (Pronman recently said that he sees brother Ryan as Strome's closest NHL comparable...not exactly high praise) it starts to become concerning.
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
(01-01-2017, 06:07 PM)

Punjabi call of Kessel's goal last night so good https://twitter.com/HkyNightPunjabi/...70227118534656

kesssssssssselllllllllllllll :(

Calamari41
41 > 38
(01-01-2017, 06:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Line_HTX

All of you people's favorite teams are SHIT!

Unsustainabowl!

My team is the best one out of them all.
MultiJhonny
(01-01-2017, 06:17 PM)
My New Years prediction for the fly guys is that they will make me drunk even when I'm gonna say I'm not gonna drink much anymore
zroid
(01-01-2017, 06:18 PM)

The problem isn't that you shouldn't be drawing any conclusions to the tournament, it's weighting the tournament over everything else. When you weigh his disappointing juniors performance with his disappointing NHL debut and the opinion of intelligent scouts (Pronman recently said that he sees brother Ryan as Strome's closest NHL comparable...not exactly high praise) it starts to become concerning.

Pronman is and has always been very high on Ryan Strome I believe, so I don't think using that as a criticism is fair. I understand there is some higher degree of weight you should place on the WJC for evaluation but at the end of the day it's 4 games. So for a 3rd overall pick he's already been a disappointment because generally you would already be in the NHL by now. If that is his fault or not is also difficult to parse since he's only played 7 NHL games and hardly any minutes, and the Coyotes are a tire fire.

This is probably the stage where the Coyotes are thinking maybe we should have drafted Marner or Werenski instead, but not much more than that. His status as a high end prospect hasn't changed much in my view.
CreeperBlocks
(01-01-2017, 06:22 PM)
Jets put Burmistrov on waivers
User33
(01-01-2017, 06:27 PM)

Pronman is and has always been very high on Ryan Strome I believe, so I don't think using that as a criticism is fair. I understand there is some higher degree of weight you should place on the WJC for evaluation but at the end of the day it's 4 games. So for a 3rd overall pick he's already been a disappointment because generally you would already be in the NHL by now. If that is his fault or not is also difficult to parse since he's only played 7 NHL games and hardly any minutes, and the Coyotes are a tire fire.

This is probably the stage where the Coyotes are thinking maybe we should have drafted Marner or Werenski instead, but not much more than that. His status as a high end prospect hasn't changed much in my view.

I agree then that it's more reinforcement than giving us any real new information. But I think the biggest concern with Strome (that has been reinforced) is that he needs a lot of time and space to do anything, which he's not going to have in the NHL. To progress to the next level, he's going to need to be a faster decision maker.
Quick
(01-01-2017, 06:32 PM)
Leafs/Wings game delayed by 30 minutes today due to sunlight on the ice.
Marvie_3
(01-01-2017, 06:46 PM)

the Predators are lending their support to the opposition of a discriminatory bathroom bill in Tennessee

good on em

Good job Preds
Erdrick
(01-01-2017, 06:51 PM)

Originally Posted by CreeperBlocks

The new year is starting off right. Good riddance. He's been worse and worse as time has gone on. Would rather have people who play with effort instead of just coasting. That could apply to a few others on this team, to be honest, as of late.
Syrinx
(01-01-2017, 06:52 PM)
2017. Year of Baeho.

Go Halifax Hurricanes.
SolidSnakeUS
(01-01-2017, 06:54 PM)
Time for the Flyers to start winning again?
imbask
(01-01-2017, 06:54 PM)
Blue Jackets are dominating

in 2017
Gunstar Ikari
(01-01-2017, 07:06 PM)
Reid Boucher on waivers.

Again. lol
shadowkat
(01-01-2017, 07:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Quick

Leafs/Wings game delayed by 30 minutes today due to sunlight on the ice.

Really? Shouldn't they have thought of that before?
lamaroo
(01-01-2017, 07:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Gunstar Ikari

Reid Boucher on waivers.

Again. lol

Galchenyuk's teammate from Sarnia!
Yawnier
(01-01-2017, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by shadowkat

Think they also delayed the game in Winnpieg two months ago because of the same thing
Quick
(01-01-2017, 07:15 PM)

Was probably hoping to have similar conditions to yesterday's alumni game.

Same issue happened with the Jets/Oilers game in October lol
Cake Boss
go home you're drunk
(01-01-2017, 07:18 PM)

Still has more points than Lazar.
iLLmAtlc
(01-01-2017, 07:25 PM)
The game is delayed eh? They should just delay it all the way to the evening like the capitals/pens one, that was the best!
Gunstar Ikari
(01-01-2017, 07:29 PM)
Subban has been placed on IR, will be reevaluated in 2-3 weeks.

And there it is.
zroid
(01-01-2017, 07:35 PM)

And there it is.

(._. )
CreeperBlocks
(01-01-2017, 07:37 PM)

And there it is.

:(
Quick
(01-01-2017, 07:44 PM)
https://twitter.com/evanderkane_9/st...79161154744325

When a guy pretends to want to fight and only chirps when the 6'6 linesman is standing in the way. #KevanMiller #pretender #stoplying

New Year, New Salt.
Cake Boss
go home you're drunk
(01-01-2017, 08:00 PM)

New Year, New Salt.

first reply lol

You beat up a woman @evanderkane_9

MetatronM
(01-01-2017, 08:05 PM)
I feel like most of the daytime outdoor games have had their starts delayed at this point. The only ones where it hasn't that I can think of were games where it was already snowing, so the lighting was flat.

It's almost as if maybe continuing to schedule games at potential peak sunlight times of day is a stupid idea.
Yawnier
(01-01-2017, 08:05 PM)

New Year, New Salt.

Originally Posted by Cake Boss

first reply lol

Holy shiiiiiiiiit
zroid
(01-01-2017, 08:09 PM)

Originally Posted by MetatronM

I feel like most of the daytime outdoor games have had their starts delayed at this point. The only ones where it hasn't that I can think of were games where it was already snowing, so the lighting was flat.

It's almost as if maybe continuing to schedule games at potential peak sunlight times of day is a stupid idea.

Funnily enough Scott Oake just asked Colin Campbell why they don't schedule the games at night, and his response was because "you guys (AKA Sportsnet) want them in the afternoon."

awkward :lol
PillarEN
(01-01-2017, 08:15 PM)

Funnily enough Scott Oake just asked Colin Campbell why they don't schedule the games at night, and his response was because "you guys (AKA Sportsnet) want them in the afternoon."

Could have made the Euro population feel extra special and say it was so we could watch the game in sane hours.
Marvie_3
(01-01-2017, 08:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Cake Boss

first reply lol

Brutal. Lol
iLLmAtlc
(01-01-2017, 08:27 PM)

Sounds like a half truth. I doubt sportsnet wants it then, but I'm sure NBC does tho (99% of their games are on at 12 pm est)
Lone_Prodigy
(01-01-2017, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Socreges

What's his deal

Coach's decision, so not a health issue. He should get a shot with the Sedins instead of Jayson freaking Megna.
Socreges
smarter than the average commie
(01-01-2017, 08:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Lone_Prodigy

Coach's decision, so not a health issue. He should get a shot with the Sedins instead of Jayson freaking Megna.

Just noticed he played one game a week ago.

Poor guy had so much promise before his streak of injuries. Hope he can rediscover his scoring touch
zroid
(01-01-2017, 09:07 PM)
wasn't a huge fan of these centennial classic jerseys at first, but they look nice in action
yyzjohn
(01-01-2017, 09:10 PM)
Go Leafs!
Quick
(01-01-2017, 09:12 PM)

wasn't a huge fan of these centennial classic jerseys at first, but they look nice in action

Winter Classic jersey still beats it, but it's a nice change from the usual Leafs jersey designs.

I like that both teams' jerseys aren't full-on retro/retro-inspired jerseys. The St. Pats nod with the chest and arm striping is something new for the Leafs, not sure I'd keep it for an alternate jersey design though.
CreeperBlocks
(01-01-2017, 09:14 PM)
I guess I'll cheer for the leafs today.
shadowkat
(01-01-2017, 09:21 PM)

I guess I'll cheer for the leafs today.

You're the best cat Creeper.
Quick
(01-01-2017, 09:21 PM)
NHL taking cues from the Habs with sad Coldplay music?

Alright.

Edit: Because we're not already sick of outdoor games (right?).

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...499578368?s=09

The NHL is looking at holding three outdoor games next season, per Gary Bettman.

Probably Winter Classic (Blackhawks vs. Blackhawks), Heritage Classic (SNES v. Habs: Dawn of French Toast), Stadium Series (Blackhawks vs. Blackhawks).
Last edited by Quick; 01-01-2017 at 09:25 PM.
shadowkat
(01-01-2017, 09:23 PM)

Alright.

It's a weird song choice.
Quick
(01-01-2017, 09:24 PM)

It's a weird song choice.

Makes it seem like someone died.
CreeperBlocks
(01-01-2017, 09:25 PM)

Alright.

It was really well done.
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
Man those empty seats :-(
User33
Just realized that Strome has 1 even strength point in the tournament this year :lol
Quick

It was really well done.

No doubt, just a slightly odd song choice.
Yawnier
(01-01-2017, 09:28 PM)
Toe Blake!

Old Time Hockey!
imbask
(01-01-2017, 09:28 PM)
Creeper drank so much he became a Leafs fan

absolutely disgusting