• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

TurnipFritters
(03-20-2017, 09:01 PM)

79/365
heavy liquid
(03-21-2017, 01:22 AM)
Woooo, next page!

Last edited by heavy liquid; 03-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.
heavy liquid
(03-21-2017, 12:34 PM)
Another wip sketch to work on for tomorrow.

TurnipFritters
(03-22-2017, 12:23 AM)

80/365
Prax
(03-22-2017, 04:11 AM)
I made very NSFW pics so.. here are crops lol

I think they took about 2 hours each.. not.. sure...
EliteArtist
(03-22-2017, 09:14 AM)

Been wanting to contribute to this thread for the longest time. Just never got around to snapping some quality pictures of some recent drawings.

Both drawings took about an hour each!
LegendX48
(03-22-2017, 07:41 PM)
Here's a little doodle that I half-assedly turned into fanart lol

TurnipFritters
(03-22-2017, 11:56 PM)

81/365
heavy liquid
(03-23-2017, 12:38 AM)

Originally Posted by LegendX48

Here's a little doodle that I half-assedly turned into fanart lol

Nothing wrong with fanart! I always like looking at the interpretations of other artists (both famous and not).

LegendX48
(03-23-2017, 12:49 AM)

Originally Posted by heavy liquid

Nothing wrong with fanart! I always like looking at the interpretations of other artists (both famous and not).

heh, it didn't start as fanart but now I have the urge to do something more. That's a dang cool image by the way :p
heavy liquid
(03-23-2017, 12:26 PM)

heh, it didn't start as fanart but now I have the urge to do something more. That's a dang cool image by the way :p

Thanks, I appreciate it! That actually sounds fun now that you mention it. Maybe I'll spend a week or so of the daily drawings doing some fanart, too. Hmmm.

Another very rough sketch to work on later:

TurnipFritters
(03-24-2017, 02:40 AM)

82/365
heavy liquid
(03-24-2017, 12:46 PM)
Lifedrawing last night, no time for personal stuff.

2 min. poses and 5 min. pose

2 15-20 min. poses

LegendX48
(03-24-2017, 09:40 PM)
Homework! Had to copy an image from an artist I like so I went with Phil Noto and one of the pages he did for Black Widow:

my background came out so messy >.>

Thanks, I appreciate it! That actually sounds fun now that you mention it. Maybe I'll spend a week or so of the daily drawings doing some fanart, too. Hmmm.

Do it!!!
TurnipFritters
(03-24-2017, 10:12 PM)

"Cute Robots"
83/365
Servbot24
(03-25-2017, 08:25 PM)

Dopus
(03-25-2017, 08:27 PM)
Anyone interested in a WIP critique platform? Feel free to message me and I'll get you an invite :)
artsi
(03-25-2017, 09:59 PM)
Some (WIP) Persona 5 fanart.

heavy liquid
(03-26-2017, 01:36 AM)

Homework! Had to copy an image from an artist I like so I went with Phil Noto and one of the pages he did for Black Widow:

my background came out so messy >.>

Do it!!!

No, the background is great! It's a good thing it's a bit more rough/impressionistic so that your main focus (the figure) stands out. Nice drawing!

Okay, fanart time for me, too:

Last edited by heavy liquid; 03-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
TurnipFritters
(03-26-2017, 10:53 PM)

84/365
TurnipFritters
(03-27-2017, 11:55 PM)

85 and 86, I think that's got me caught up
heavy liquid
(03-28-2017, 12:27 AM)
Anyone want to throw out some fanart suggestions? I feel like taking requests. Characters, comic, videogame or whatever?

LegendX48
(03-28-2017, 02:04 AM)
Draw X-23!!

Anywho, here's a thing I started yesterday:

I'm very bad at digital art.
RobotHaus
(03-28-2017, 03:56 AM)
Hey guys, I realised, I'm horrendous when it comes to color harmony. Does anyone have any advice? I legit have trouble thinking of colors working together. I can recognize it in other people's art, but I myself am somewhat mentally blocked. I'm worried this is affecting my art and I want this obstacle to get cleared for my own sanity.
TurnipFritters
(03-28-2017, 04:32 AM)

Originally Posted by RobotHaus

Hey guys, I realised, I'm horrendous when it comes to color harmony. Does anyone have any advice? I legit have trouble thinking of colors working together. I can recognize it in other people's art, but I myself am somewhat mentally blocked. I'm worried this is affecting my art and I want this obstacle to get cleared for my own sanity.

Do you think you could post some of your work and maybe identify what you think is off on the colors? Trying to understand colors is a real pain, especially when most online stuff is just, like, "here is a color wheel!"
Last edited by TurnipFritters; 03-28-2017 at 04:34 AM.
RobotHaus
(03-28-2017, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by TurnipFritters

Do you think you could post some of your work and maybe identify what you think is off on the colors? Trying to understand colors is a real pain, especially when most online stuff is just, like, "here is a color wheel!"

I think that's my issue. I fear using it wrong, so I don't use it often. I usually go with black and white everything with maybe a single color to pop things out. Which now that I'm typing this, might be why I'm terrible at blending and I often times stick with patterns for shading.

With little to show, would you have an recommendations as to a good place to start? I can draw up some samples tomorrow if that can help.
TurnipFritters
(03-28-2017, 05:09 AM)

I think that's my issue. I fear using it wrong, so I don't use it often. I usually go with black and white everything with maybe a single color to pop things out. Which now that I'm typing this, might be why I'm terrible at blending and I often times stick with patterns for shading.

With little to show, would you have an recommendations as to a good place to start? I can draw up some samples tomorrow if that can help.

This is maybe a bit blind leading the blind, but: just draw and color something simple without using black and white. If nothing else, you've got to confront that fear of using color wrong.
LegendX48
(03-28-2017, 06:05 AM)
If you do digital work one thing you could try that might help is choosing a central color for the entire image. Like, make a layer and fill the whole thing with orange and then choose your colors based on that.
heavy liquid
(03-28-2017, 12:48 PM)

I think your best bet is to watch some color theory videos on YouTube. There are classes at art schools devoted to only studying color theory. It's a huge subject. If you don't already know, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the basics such as warm colors advance, cool colors recede, complimentary, analogous and triadic color schemes, etc. When starting out, you can use a limited palette to help ease you into colors.

Draw X-23!!

Anywho, here's a thing I started yesterday:

I'm very bad at digital art.

Digital art doesn't necessarily make everything easier like many people think. A common misconception is that you'll magically create better artwork digitally. I only really started applying myself to it seriously last year and am only now starting to get used to some things. It definitely has it's pros and cons vs. traditional.

It's a unanimous decision (:p), so I sketched X-23 this morning:

Last edited by heavy liquid; 03-28-2017 at 02:38 PM.
PSY・S
(03-28-2017, 12:56 PM)

Muddy Colors has a few good posts on color harmonies and the usefulness of grays.

https://muddycolors.blogspot.com/201...ous-color.html

https://muddycolors.blogspot.com/201...ray-today.html

An in-depth series on color theory.

https://guymanningphotography.wordpr...04/10/color-1/

You should also look into ~the psychology of color~

https://thelogocompany.net/blog/info...r-logo-design/

This article focuses on logos but it's a decent starting point. Observe how color is used in marketing, nature, the arts (sequential/dramatic works especially), your culture vs others' etc. Look into semiotics.

Tip: Values and composition are important. Even if your drawings are loose and expressionist, if your values and composition read clearly enough you can get away with using color in all sorts of crazy ways. You can also focus on color contrasts to help separate the elements of your composition and guide the viewer's eye. Focus on the basics first and when you have a good grasp on them you can then start experimenting.

You may also want to study the science of light. Having a solid understanding of where light originates from, how it travels through space, how it reacts to different surfaces and other light sources, and how the brain (or camera!) perceives it all will make values and colors much more approachable. You'll be able to pick and mix colors far more quickly and accurately.

I wanted to expand on a few things but I accidentally hit post so that's that lol
Last edited by PSY・S; 03-28-2017 at 01:27 PM.
RobotHaus
(03-28-2017, 02:36 PM)

If you do digital work one thing you could try that might help is choosing a central color for the entire image. Like, make a layer and fill the whole thing with orange and then choose your colors based on that.

I think your best bet is to watch some color theory videos on YouTube. There are classes at art schools devoted to only studying color theory. It's a huge subject. If you don't already know, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the basics such as warm colors advance, cool colors recede, complimentary, analogous and triadic color schemes, etc. When starting out, you can use a limited palette to help ease you into colors.

Originally Posted by PSY・S

Muddy Colors has a few good posts on color harmonies and the usefulness of grays.

https://muddycolors.blogspot.com/201...ous-color.html

https://muddycolors.blogspot.com/201...ray-today.html

An in-depth series on color theory.

https://guymanningphotography.wordpr...04/10/color-1/

You should also look into ~the psychology of color~

https://thelogocompany.net/blog/info...r-logo-design/

This article focuses on logos but it's a decent starting point. Observe how color is used in marketing, nature, the arts (sequential/dramatic works especially), your culture vs others' etc. Look into semiotics.

Tip: Values and composition are important. Even if your drawings are loose and expressionist, if your values and composition read clearly enough you can get away with using color in all sorts of crazy ways. You can also focus on color contrasts to help separate the elements of your composition and guide the viewer's eye. Focus on the basics first and when you have a good grasp on them you can then start experimenting.

You may also want to study the science of light. Having a solid understanding of where light originates from, how it travels through space, how it reacts to different surfaces and other light sources, and how the brain (or camera!) perceives it all will make values and colors much more approachable. You'll be able to pick and mix colors far more quickly and accurately.

I wanted to expand on a few things but I accidentally hit post so that's that lol

Thank you all for the advice. I think Amano work is something that just overwhelms my brain with just how good it looks. But I'll look into all the advice given so far. I really appreciate it!
TurnipFritters
(03-28-2017, 11:44 PM)

87/365
heavy liquid
(Yesterday, 12:35 PM)

TurnipFritters
(Yesterday, 10:57 PM)

88/365, i mostly just wanted to try this again to try and get the hair lighting right, but the blue light should be stronger than it is
heavy liquid
(Today, 12:25 PM)
Another fanart. I think this is the first time I've drawn Godzilla since I was 10. A friend requested that he destroy the building she works at.

I cheated and just drew over a photo of the building. I actually started painting the building and got pretty far, but realized it was going to take at least a couple hours that I don't have to finish it.