• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

StalkerUKCG
(06-07-2016, 11:43 PM)
Any possibility of donations for no ads?
Xun
(06-08-2016, 12:06 AM)
I got a mobile ad that followed me as I was scrolling earlier on.

It was the size of the bottom ads and it was for Uber.

Edit: I see it was mentioned on the previous page.
Karl2177
(06-08-2016, 01:45 AM)
I just now noticed this thread. I thought something was up last night, but I wasn't sure if it was something on my end or what. I'm not getting an ad at the top of the page on desktop anymore. I also have been getting the background check ads that pull you to them that were described on the last page.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-08-2016, 02:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Xun

I got a mobile ad that followed me as I was scrolling earlier on.

It was the size of the bottom ads and it was for Uber.

Edit: I see it was mentioned on the previous page.

Uber seems to be running non-IAB-compliant malicious campaigns across worldwide markets at the moment, then, lol. Great company. I killed their UK-specific ones earlier but I'll go back and do a full geo sweep now.
Amon37
(06-08-2016, 03:04 AM)
I appreciate the attention to get crappy ads removed and a reporting aystem. I have removed ad block as it seems we have a much better system in place. I still wait for the day when I can pay for no ads but I'll support the site in this way for now.
dity
(06-08-2016, 04:14 AM)
Neat! I like this!
Subpar Scrub
(06-08-2016, 04:58 AM)

I couldn't report because when I pressed cancel it disappeared. Thought I'd post the image though.

Latest mobile iOS in Australia if it helps at all. That's the first annoying ad I've ever received on Gaf, and it wasn't all that annoying tbh.
Last edited by Subpar Scrub; 06-08-2016 at 05:00 AM.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-08-2016, 05:20 AM)
Seriously looks like Uber has 100+ active 300x250 rectangle ad creatives running worldwide right now, and all of them looked malicious, whether floaters or app store redirects.

Blocked them all. Sorry for the trouble. What the fuck, Uber.
Darren870
(06-08-2016, 06:39 AM)

Originally Posted by RhynoTheStriker

I couldn't report because when I pressed cancel it disappeared. Thought I'd post the image though.

Latest mobile iOS in Australia if it helps at all. That's the first annoying ad I've ever received on Gaf, and it wasn't all that annoying tbh.

Yea, Australia doesn't get hit with bad ads at all. I've never once had any of the ads people are always complaining about. Always just normal ads, and actually pretty relevant and good ones too.
Subpar Scrub
(06-08-2016, 06:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Darren870

Yea, Australia doesn't get hit with bad ads at all. I've never once had any of the ads people are always complaining about. Always just normal ads, and actually pretty relevant and good ones too.

Most of mine are for TAFE, the defence force or PayPal haha
dity
(06-08-2016, 07:04 AM)

Originally Posted by RhynoTheStriker

Most of mine are for TAFE, the defence force or PayPal haha

I get a fake Facebook advert, and some blue and white adverts that are just filled with text about the election coming up. Nothing too extravagant these days.
Ashes
(06-08-2016, 07:46 AM)
I got an fake anti-virus pop up redirect, just as I posted a reply.
Obviously not posting full link but here is the website it directed to.
http://freegoodapps.pw

Nexus 6p. Android 6.0. Chrome.
zugzug
(06-08-2016, 08:44 AM)
can we ask about that facebook icon button integration showing up? Did members ask for it? did facebook ask you if you would implement it? will you share with us stats on how many percent of gaf visitors use it?
dity
(06-08-2016, 09:12 AM)

Originally Posted by zugzug

can we ask about that facebook icon button integration showing up? Did members ask for it? did facebook ask you if you would implement it? will you share with us stats on how many percent of gaf visitors use it?

Yeah, I was wondering about that. It's just suddenly there now.
PtM
(06-08-2016, 10:19 AM)

Originally Posted by zugzug

Originally Posted by dity

Yeah, I was wondering about that. It's just suddenly there now.

Look for EviLore's posts in this one:
http://neogaf.site/showthread.php?t=1226373
dity
(06-08-2016, 10:32 AM)

Originally Posted by PtM

Look for EviLore's posts in this one:
http://neogaf.site/showthread.php?t=1226373

Thanks for this!
Chittagong
(06-08-2016, 01:08 PM)
Really happy to have this introduced. My only annoyance on GAF (nad elsewhere) has been that shitty superhero game ad that kicks you directly to AppStore.
Jason Frost
(06-08-2016, 02:27 PM)
Thanks for the report function.
Jason Frost
(06-08-2016, 03:32 PM)
Sorry about the double post:

I see that the size of the text for "report this ad" was changed since it was implemented, it seems way smaller than yesterday, but maybe it is just a little bit too small now?

Also, since the change from yesterday, the top ad in forums pages and in threads seems now to be lined up to the left and directly next to the logo, it is not like it is on the index page.

Before that, the top ad for forums pages and threads was centered between the logo and the right of the page.
Azure Dream
(06-08-2016, 06:28 PM)
I'm glad you're doing this, it should mean a big improvement.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-08-2016, 06:36 PM)

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

Any possibility of donations for no ads?

it's officially on the agenda. I recognize that there should be an alternative to "have ads but I hate ads ugh" or "adblock ads but feel guilty about sabotaging free website I enjoy." There are technical hurdles involved (mostly because of mobile), but it's on the big ol' 2016 list. It was important to take any steps possible to improve overall ad quality first though, so that just using NeoGAF free and ad-supported isn't a burden.

I will not compromise the site's philosophies though and I have no intention of paywalling any features behind such a solution or altering any elements of the visible social hierarchy etc. This is important. It would only be there as a legitimate means of subsidizing an ad-free experience. If launched, it will actively *not* be incentivized beyond that in order to continue to provide feature parity and equitable treatment for everyone regardless of sub status. If something is viable to provide for the entire userbase, it will be done so for the entire userbase, not paywalled as a means to sell subscriptions. Then you make your own choices from there about supporting the site.
Last edited by EviLore; 06-08-2016 at 06:38 PM.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-08-2016, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Jason Frost

Sorry about the double post:

I see that the size of the text for "report this ad" was changed since it was implemented, it seems way smaller than yesterday, but maybe it is just a little bit too small now?

Also, since the change from yesterday, the top ad in forums pages and in threads seems now to be lined up to the left and directly next to the logo, it is not like it is on the index page.

Before that, the top ad for forums pages and threads was centered between the logo and the right of the page.

Aesthetic adjustments were made, as noted in the OP, because of the default settings disrupting the site layout. Font was made a bit smaller on the desktop header report link to address all the empty padding it was adding to the bottom of the header before. Alignment adjustments were made to each unit to clean up the look.

Keep in mind that I ripped out all the reskin ad crap from the front page recently, so that's basically a temporary page now pending major revisions to improve its aesthetics and functionality. It will be fully overhauled. Given how the front page is often hit by new visitors and such, with regulars often just bookmarking gaming/ot/etc. directly, I feel it makes sense to better convey pertinent information about the mission statement of the site, how the hell it works, how the registration process works, how you actually need to read the ToS and not just ignore it like with most sites, etc. I'd rather that sort of stuff be in there than an ugly-ass full-page takeover ad.
LiK
(06-08-2016, 07:27 PM)
Amen EviLore
HORRORSHØW
(06-08-2016, 11:29 PM)
I'm starting to get huge ads on the top banner in addition to the huge ads on the bottom of the page. Is this normal?

I've gotten this specific ad a few times:

Last edited by HORRORSHØW; 06-09-2016 at 05:59 AM.
PtM
(06-08-2016, 11:42 PM)

Originally Posted by HORRORSHØW

I'm starting to get huge ads on the top banner in addition to the huge ads on the bottom of the page. Is this normal?

You're not very specific.
valkillmore
(06-09-2016, 01:03 AM)
Cheers and thank you.
NCR Redslayer
NeoGAF's Vegeta
(06-09-2016, 04:27 AM)
Still getting no ads.
Hold on, let me just turn off my adblock...
Oh wait, i'm still not getting ads because I use mobile and that doesn't have adblock.

Android, Chrome by the way.
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(06-09-2016, 06:35 AM)
I'm starting to get the big block square ads on mobile in the top.

Come on guys, one thing is to put them at the bottom, let's not start to put them at the top as well.
missile
(06-09-2016, 09:23 AM)
Is there a way to remove the facebook Like/Share buttons seen on desktop gaf?
They are very annoying. Every time my eyes get caught by these buttons. If
they are really needed for gaf, then I would be very pleased if the buttons
could be turned down in color, i.e. matching gaf's the color-schemes (I'm
using the dark one). Thx.
Jason Frost
(06-09-2016, 11:19 AM)
While not logged in, it seems that there is no way to report the ad at the beginning of a thread:

jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(06-09-2016, 12:02 PM)
Thanks!
malfcn
(06-09-2016, 04:10 PM)

Big ads on the top now.
Last edited by malfcn; 06-09-2016 at 04:25 PM.
RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(06-09-2016, 05:20 PM)
I noticed that I'm not seeing pro-Trump and anti-Hillary ads anymore which is a big relief. Felt like I was visiting hannityforums. Seeing Witcher 3: Blood and Wine ads is so much better 😃
the_firewithin
(06-09-2016, 07:56 PM)

Originally Posted by malfcn

Big ads on the top now.

Im going back and forth with this. Sometime big top add are there then not
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-09-2016, 08:16 PM)
The rectangle showing up in the header on mobile is not intended behavior, will look into it.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-09-2016, 08:35 PM)
Ad team has identified the issue and applied a fix. The big rectangles should stop appearing in the header on mobile for those who were affected.
PtM
(06-09-2016, 08:41 PM)
Ad team is fast!
Eusis
(06-10-2016, 12:22 AM)
Saw this as earlier but the report as button wasn't working.

Last edited by Eusis; 06-10-2016 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Wow, that was big!
Rösti
(06-10-2016, 02:14 AM)
This is a great addition to the site. Much appreciated, EviLore.
bosseye
(06-10-2016, 06:18 AM)
Not sure if it's really an ad, but every first visit to GAF on mobile within a couple of minutes I get the full screen pop up warning about 28.1% damage to my phone and a browser hijack to an app store for anti virus. Obviously it's fake/false/malicious/annoying.

It happens every single time I start GAF mobile, I have to reload the site and start again everytime. I've never had this on any other mobile site.

I'm using an Xperia Z5, Android 6 and Dolphin browser.
evanmisha
(06-10-2016, 06:28 AM)

Originally Posted by bosseye

Not sure if it's really an ad, but every first visit to GAF on mobile within a couple of minutes I get the full screen pop up warning about 28.1% damage to my phone and a browser hijack to an app store for anti virus. Obviously it's fake/false/malicious/annoying.

It happens every single time I start GAF mobile, I have to reload the site and start again everytime. I've never had this on any other mobile site.

Yeah, I get it too and have no idea how to report it cuz it totally hijacks my browser.

S7 Edge, Android, Chrome, Canada
The_Inquisitor
(06-10-2016, 06:31 AM)
Honestly if 5 dollars or so a month meant I could support the forum with no ads that is really all that is needed. This forum has enriched my life so much over the past few years that it is the least I can do.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-10-2016, 06:41 AM)

Originally Posted by bosseye

Originally Posted by evanmisha

Yeah, I get it too and have no idea how to report it cuz it totally hijacks my browser.

S7 Edge, Android, Chrome, Canada

Sorry for the trouble. Screenshot it if it comes up again, send a PM over and it'll be tracked down ASAP.
Suikoguy
I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
(06-10-2016, 07:03 AM)
Considering the ubiquity of google ads, I can't believe how lax the platform is. I find the whole situation fascinating. Then to see a huge company like Uber abuse it, i'm just baffled.

Google is in danger of or already have too much separation between the user and themselves; they have been very slow to react to issues with their platforms. But that's a whole thread on it's own.

However, great news that "pay to get rid of ads" is on the agenda. One of the few sites i'd scrounge up cash for.
TheChaos0
(06-10-2016, 07:58 AM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

Sorry for the trouble. Screenshot it if it comes up again, send a PM over and it'll be tracked down ASAP.

I had it as well, happened some other time during the last couple months as well. I've got it open on the tab it hijacked. I'll send you a screenshot and the links it's going through.
correojon
(06-10-2016, 09:14 AM)

Originally Posted by TheChaos0

I had it as well, happened some other time during the last couple months as well. I've got it open on the tab it hijacked. I'll send you a screenshot and the links it's going through.

I was having it as well 5 minutes ago, constantly hijacking the browser. I restarted the browser and it has disappeared, everything looks OK now. Couldn´t take a screenshot, but it said something like "ads.loadreviews.something: Your Galaxy S4 needs to be updated blah blah...". I´ll be on the look if it appears again.

If it helps: Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 from Spain
Last edited by correojon; 06-10-2016 at 09:28 AM.
TheChaos0
(06-10-2016, 10:59 AM)

Originally Posted by correojon

I was having it as well 5 minutes ago, constantly hijacking the browser. I restarted the browser and it has disappeared, everything looks OK now. Couldn´t take a screenshot, but it said something like "ads.loadreviews.something: Your Galaxy S4 needs to be updated blah blah...". I´ll be on the look if it appears again.

If it helps: Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 from Spain

I've sent a PM to EviLore now with all the details, hopefully we'll have it sorted soon.
cacildo
(06-10-2016, 12:17 PM)
So we just use this thread to say which ads give us problems?

Desktop - "Latam Linhas Aéreas" asked for localization and i denied. Then the antivirus started to jump on it
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(06-10-2016, 01:34 PM)

Originally Posted by EviLore

it's officially on the agenda. I recognize that there should be an alternative to "have ads but I hate ads ugh" or "adblock ads but feel guilty about sabotaging free website I enjoy." There are technical hurdles involved (mostly because of mobile), but it's on the big ol' 2016 list. It was important to take any steps possible to improve overall ad quality first though, so that just using NeoGAF free and ad-supported isn't a burden.

I will not compromise the site's philosophies though and I have no intention of paywalling any features behind such a solution or altering any elements of the visible social hierarchy etc. This is important. It would only be there as a legitimate means of subsidizing an ad-free experience. If launched, it will actively *not* be incentivized beyond that in order to continue to provide feature parity and equitable treatment for everyone regardless of sub status. If something is viable to provide for the entire userbase, it will be done so for the entire userbase, not paywalled as a means to sell subscriptions. Then you make your own choices from there about supporting the site.

I think this is great news. Even with the lengths you are going to to avoid malicious ads, it feels like Canute trying to turn the tide - online ads are just too messed up. Although some of the ads I quite like :)
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-10-2016, 03:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Suikoguy

Considering the ubiquity of google ads, I can't believe how lax the platform is. I find the whole situation fascinating. Then to see a huge company like Uber abuse it, i'm just baffled.

Google is in danger of or already have too much separation between the user and themselves; they have been very slow to react to issues with their platforms. But that's a whole thread on it's own.

However, great news that "pay to get rid of ads" is on the agenda. One of the few sites i'd scrounge up cash for.

I may have some...words to say to Big G about outcomes in the internet ad industry right now, and it's true that the order of events is something along the lines of:

1) Develop essential, ubiquitous free internet platforms --->

2) Serve safe clean, minimalist ads that are valuable to advertisers because of how well they're targeted to visitors, not how well they can hijack browsing experience to force user engagement, all in an automated fashion that is accessible to any level of business --->

3) Acquire all the top competition for paying websites for their ad space, buying ad campaigns to put on websites, ad serving software platforms for the complex ad structures of major websites, and website analytics, cornering the market --->

4) Automate and integrate it all and eliminate the need for curated middlemen agencies thanks to having an end-to-end solution for the entire process of internet advertising and infinite Big Data to utilize in order to target ads even more effectively --->

5) Due to massive expansion of all the original services, and expansion of its operations beyond minimalist targeted advertising with its internal technology and standards to additionally working with thousands of third party ad partners in a largely automated fashion that then involves "rich media" sorts of bloat and ambiguity that can hypothetically sideload all sorts of malicious garbage that the original internal solutions could not --->

6) The OG "clean and safe and minimal" ad solution for websites worldwide now serves a worrying number of bad ads due to the nature of its autonomy, and has so much market share and overall importance for most websites and advertisers that the folks in charge don't necessarily have much of a clear imperative to get things back to where they were in the days when I could go "fuck it, back to tanking NeoGAF's revenue and using Adsense again until the next potential solution" any time an ad company didn't keep their ad serving totally clean.

Big G probably didn't intend for the negative aspects of this end result, just naturally applied their existing methods to a scale and type of ad tech that inevitably led to this outcome in hindsight, and there's no doubt that they currently see the possibly catastrophic consequences in allowing ad quality problems to continue unchecked now that the casual, typical internet user has more and more awareness of adblocking tech, ability to take advantage of it, and reason to do so any time they get a bad ad (which is almost inevitable on most websites now, since website owners are only now starting to even have any tools at their disposal at all like the ones I just implemented on NeoGAF, with the additional requirement of the entity in charge of a website actually caring about setting the bar higher than industry norms), but now that they *are* in such a critical position in internet advertising end-to-end worldwide, and so much of the internet was built on and continues to rely on the free ad-supported business model, they're going to have to step up and do something about this ad quality situation in the near future, or Bad Things will happen. They're already happening. The IAB is now focusing on the importance of clean ads on mobile in particular going forward, but setting "official ad compliance standards" and those standards actually becoming a reality to the end user isn't a given without the appropriate parties stepping up to ensure it. Right now, instead, I see interstitials and anchored ads for mobile users being officially pushed to be adopted by websites using Adsense in the same damned sentence as "preserving optimal user experience" on every page of the service's publisher interface, which seems like a worrying level of cognitive dissonance when we're seeming, rather, in dire need of the ad industry realizing that the less ads harm user experience, the better the outlook for users, websites, and ad platforms, and that more short-term revenue at the cost of user experience is not the path to be taking.