• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 12:45 AM)
Alright, so for a long time I've been able to stream on my 4k tv (Vizio D50u-D1) at 1080p but for the last 2 days it now shows 2160p which has caused issues for streaming Twitch on it (constant freezing and really bad lag) and general usage. I contacted Vizio about setting a cap on the resolution and they said it's not possible because the resolution goes up with the signal. I tried googling if I could prevent my PC (I use a geforce gtx 760 card) from going past 1080p but nothing came up.

Any ideas?
| Praxis |
(03-21-2017, 12:48 AM)
I don't go on Twitch, but can't you choose the resolution in the player window like YouTube?

Also, changing your desktop resolution, but that probably won't stop the video player if you have the res on auto which sounds like you do.
Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 12:56 AM)

Originally Posted by | Praxis |

I don't go on Twitch, but can't you choose the resolution in the player window like YouTube?

Also, changing your desktop resolution, but that probably won't stop the video player if you have the res on auto which sounds like you do.

Twitch allows multiple qualities but even the lower ones cause lag and sluggish video.

:(
louiedog
(03-21-2017, 12:58 AM)
If you want to change the output resolution of Windows right click on the desktop, click display settings, and choose advanced display settings from the bottom of the window that pops up. It might be slightly different depending on what version you use, but similar.
Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by louiedog

If you want to change the output resolution of Windows right click on the desktop, click display settings, and choose advanced display settings from the bottom of the window that pops up. It might be slightly different depending on what version you use, but similar.

I've changed the TV's display setting to 1920 x 1080 but the TV still believes the signal from the PC is 4k so it's scaling up.
SodiumBenzoate
(03-21-2017, 01:01 AM)
Look in the Nvidia control panel, you might be able to force the output resolution.
| Praxis |
(03-21-2017, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Subpar Spatula

Twitch allows multiple qualities but even the lower ones cause lag and sluggish video.

:(

Are you sure it's not your broadband speed?
Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 01:04 AM)

Are you sure it's not your broadband speed?

I can drag the chrome window from my TV (where it freezes, lags, etc) and use it on my monitors just fine.
SodiumBenzoate
(03-21-2017, 01:09 AM)
Oh wait, are you using some sort of wireless streaming thing? How is the picture getting to your TV?
Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 01:10 AM)

Originally Posted by SodiumBenzoate

Oh wait, are you using some sort of wireless streaming thing? How is the picture getting to your TV?

HDMI cable from my video card to HDMI port on my TV that goes from 1080p to 4k 60hz.
| Praxis |
(03-21-2017, 01:15 AM)

HDMI cable from my video card to HDMI port on my TV that goes from 1080p to 4k 60hz.

I just don't see why it wouldn't stay streaming at the chosen 1080p in your browser? I have a 4K monitor, but my connection isn't fast enough for 4K streaming so i just choose 1080 and it works fine.
SodiumBenzoate
(03-21-2017, 01:19 AM)
Yeah, windows/Nvidia should detect it as a 4k monitor but you should be able to manually reduce the output back down to 1080p...
Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 03:02 AM)

I just don't see why it wouldn't stay streaming at the chosen 1080p in your browser? I have a 4K monitor, but my connection isn't fast enough for 4K streaming so i just choose 1080 and it works fine.

Not sure why either.

I have the display at 1920 x 1080 but when I info the input on the TV it says 2160p. Vizio said it will scale to whatever the signal is giving so is my PC really putting it to 1080p?

Last edited by Subpar Spatula; 03-21-2017 at 03:27 AM.
rrs
(03-21-2017, 03:22 AM)

Not sure why either.

I have the display at 1920 x 1080 but when I info the input on the TV it says 2160p. Vizio said it will scale to whatever the signal is giving so is my PC really putting it to 1080p?

edit: for some reason my img link doesn't work. :/

gotta get the direct image link, here's yours http://i.imgur.com/bBLzhxR.jpg

As for the issue, any way to force the TV to take in 1080p? It shouldn't be outputting at 4k unless there's something up with the nvidia controls
SillyNonsense
(03-21-2017, 03:29 AM)
That's weird. If nvidia is set to output at 1080 on that screen then the tv should detect that. Works as expected on my vizio P. After changing your nvidia settings, have you turned the tv off and on again? Might need a kick in the ass to redo the handshake. Try changing which input it's plugged into on the tv also. Sometimes certain inputs can be special.

I'm gunna check the settings on mine, see if there are any upscaling settings I dont remember. It's not the same model but it might share some similarities.
Last edited by SillyNonsense; 03-21-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Subpar Spatula
(03-21-2017, 03:35 AM)

Originally Posted by rrs

gotta get the direct image link, here's yours http://i.imgur.com/bBLzhxR.jpg

As for the issue, any way to force the TV to take in 1080p? It shouldn't be outputting at 4k unless there's something up with the nvidia controls

Originally Posted by SillyNonsense

That's weird. If nvidia is set to output at 1080 on that screen then the tv should detect that. Works as expected on my vizio P. After changing your nvidia settings, have you turned the tv off and on again? Might need a kick in the ass to redo the handshake. Try changing which input it's plugged into on the tv also. Sometimes certain inputs can be special.

I'm gunna check the settings on mine, see if there are any upscaling settings I dont remember. It's not the same model but it might share some similarities.

That fixed it. NVIDIA controls were overriding any display "changes" in Windows settings. TV thought it was 4k regardless. Thanks a bunch.

Mods can close this if they want. :3
SillyNonsense
(03-21-2017, 03:44 AM)

That fixed it. NVIDIA controls were overriding any display "changes" in Windows settings. TV thought it was 4k regardless. Thanks a bunch.

Mods can close this if they want. :3

Oh, right. I didnt even realize at first that you werent using nvidia control panel. The windows panel is probably controlling your on-board graphics, but you're not actually using that to output. You're using your video card to output, so you needed to use your video card's controls.
Glad it's worked out.