• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Keikaku
Member
(05-30-2013, 10:27 PM)
Keikaku's Avatar

I really like what you did! The changes really helped the sketch. It's really good!

I hope you don't mind, but I decided to do a quick paintover. I spent about 10 minutes just focusing on the value and lighting. I think I overdid it and lost some of the details in the foreground but maybe it gives a little bit more focus to the composition? What do you think?

Last edited by Keikaku; 05-30-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Sethos
Banned
(05-30-2013, 10:33 PM)
Sethos's Avatar
So will we be shamed and shunned if we submit a piece and then not do one every day?
bengraven
Member
(05-30-2013, 10:34 PM)
bengraven's Avatar
I know this is your apology, but I find this simple but awesome. Really makes me want to write a short story or novel in feudal Japan.

Originally Posted by Lissar



Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the future!

I love all three of you:

Originally Posted by Tashbrooke

Originally Posted by stutte

Originally Posted by Divvy

Keikaku
Member
(05-30-2013, 10:36 PM)
Keikaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

So will we be shamed and shunned if we submit a piece and then not do one every day?

You and your line will be cursed, yea unto seven generations :p
Sethos
Banned
(05-30-2013, 10:38 PM)
Sethos's Avatar
I'll just refrain from posting my little amateur Photoshop piece, I'd hate to get cursed -- So inconvenient :P
Keikaku
Member
(05-30-2013, 10:52 PM)
Keikaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

I'll just refrain from posting my little amateur Photoshop piece, I'd hate to get cursed -- So inconvenient :P

There is a general thread for posting art over here. I figured this one was more for people who wanted a place to post regularly.
triplestation
Banned
(05-30-2013, 10:56 PM)
triplestation's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keikaku

I really like what you did! The changes really helped the sketch. It's really good!

I hope you don't mind, but I decided to do a quick paintover. I spent about 10 minutes just focusing on the value and lighting. I think I overdid it and lost some of the details in the foreground but maybe it gives a little bit more focus to the composition? What do you think?

TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT YEAHHH!!!!

It looks like a storm is coming its awesome!! Maybe a subtle lightning strike in th background can top it off?!
Sethos
Banned
(05-30-2013, 10:58 PM)
Sethos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keikaku

There is a general thread for posting art over here. I figured this one was more for people who wanted a place to post regularly.

Oh, didn't see that one - Thanks for the heads up :)
Ledsen
Member
(05-30-2013, 10:58 PM)
Ledsen's Avatar
I haven't drawn since I was a kid, I was great back then but like many others I just stopped... my dad gave me a Wacom last Christmas which I haven't used, so this thread will be my chance to redeem myself! DAD I WILL NOT FEEL ASHAMED ANYMORE
Keikaku
Member
(05-30-2013, 11:02 PM)
Keikaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by bangladesh

TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT YEAHHH!!!!

It looks like a storm is coming its awesome!! Maybe a subtle lightning strike in th background can top it off?!

Glad you like it. I'd advise against the lightning strike though-one of the principles that I generally agree with it is "show not tell".

However, if you do put it in, make sure that you really make it subtle and also make sure that you put in way more details. Once you put something as detail oriented as a environmental effects, it'll stand out if you don't spend equal care on the rest of the piece.

All that said, it's your work-do what you want with it :)
WeaponJohnnyX
Member
(05-30-2013, 11:49 PM)
WeaponJohnnyX's Avatar
I'm in :)

About 10 min
Last edited by WeaponJohnnyX; 07-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.
FlashbladeGAF
Member
(05-30-2013, 11:51 PM)
FlashbladeGAF's Avatar
For some reason I thought this thread was in gaming :/


next time I'll draw random instead of game related.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(05-30-2013, 11:57 PM)
Divvy's Avatar
Today I was watching some more of Arrested Development season four when Lucille's costume caught my eye so I decided to make it my art thing for today:

This one took me a bit over an hour, I sort of lost track of time so I can't remember exactly.

Oh and critiques please! I'm really trying to improve my painting skills since I haven't done it for a while.
Lissar
Reluctant Member
(05-31-2013, 12:05 AM)
Lissar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keikaku

Mothafuckin' Cloud Whales. I'm totally gonna do my own Cloud Whale sketch now :D

There was some request thread on GAF awhile back where someone requested something like flying whales eating birds in the sky, so I whipped this up in five minutes:



Originally Posted by bengraven

I know this is your apology, but I find this simple but awesome. Really makes me want to write a short story or novel in feudal Japan.:

You should do it!


I want to paint. I know I shouldn't. Perhaps when I'm nice and drugged.

Originally Posted by Divvy

Today I was watching some more of Arrested Development season four when Lucille's costume caught my eye so I decided to make it my art thing for today:



This one took me a bit over an hour, I sort of lost track of time so I can't remember exactly.

Oh and critiques please! I'm really trying to improve my painting skills since I haven't done it for a while.

Hm. Her top half and bottom half seem to be trying to go in different directions. I can tell you were going for a dramatic shape, but it's just ended up with her body looking a bit confused. Also, she seems a bit short considering the length of her arms. And there should be a bit more darker shadows underneath her jaw. There isn't enough contrast!

Just so you don't think I'm being totally negative, I actually think it's pretty awesome! You've got a nice sense of shape which I REALLY like!
Last edited by Lissar; 05-31-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Beats
Member
(05-31-2013, 12:28 AM)
Beats's Avatar
Guess I'll join in.

Day 1
Time Spent: About 40 Minutes
Medium: Paint Tool Sai, Wacom Cintiq

going to try to do some figure drawing tomorrow.
Last edited by Beats; 06-01-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Keikaku
Member
(05-31-2013, 12:41 AM)
Keikaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Divvy

Today I was watching some more of Arrested Development season four when Lucille's costume caught my eye so I decided to make it my art thing for today:

This one took me a bit over an hour, I sort of lost track of time so I can't remember exactly.

Oh and critiques please! I'm really trying to improve my painting skills since I haven't done it for a while.

Good job!

What I like:
  • The colors! Really bold, vivid colors and I especially like how saturated the orange and green are. It's a good combo with the black and you use it effectively.
  • The planar approach to the face. Planar coloring can be really effective and you made a particularly good case for it here. You really captured the angular feel, especially around the cheekbones
  • The focus. You made the face detailed and got looser and looser as you worked your way down. I think it's a great way of keeping the viewer interested and spending your time wisely.

Things you may want to think about:
  • The background white. White generally isn't the best color to have as a background. It's much brighter than people think and it sucks some of the color away. I find that a simple gray or really any cool, desaturated color works best.
  • The pose. I think Lissar nailed it in that it looks a bit awkward. Part of it is that your lines of action are a bit off, at least to me. It feels like the line created by the forearms is too similar to that created by the hip. It also doesn't help that it feels like her butt is a bit too low. Here's what I see:

  • Contrast in the face. Again, like Lissar said, I think you may want to darken up the skin in the area of shadow under the chin.
I really don't know why the image is showing up so big. I quoted it too...
Last edited by Keikaku; 05-31-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Keikaku
Member
(05-31-2013, 01:58 AM)
Keikaku's Avatar
This one...got away from me. A lot.

I present-Jesus the Cloud Whale

Time: 45 minutes
Media: Photoshop CS2 and Wacom Tablet
Notes: Not happy with this one but it's done with and I learned that I really need to practice how to do clouds.

Feel free to critique. There's a lot wrong here.
Last edited by Keikaku; 05-31-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(05-31-2013, 02:05 AM)
Divvy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lissar

Hm. Her top half and bottom half seem to be trying to go in different directions. I can tell you were going for a dramatic shape, but it's just ended up with her body looking a bit confused. Also, she seems a bit short considering the length of her arms. And there should be a bit more darker shadows underneath her jaw. There isn't enough contrast!

Just so you don't think I'm being totally negative, I actually think it's pretty awesome! You've got a nice sense of shape which I REALLY like!

Originally Posted by Keikaku

Good job!

What I like:

  • The colors! Really bold, vivid colors and I especially like how saturated the orange and green are. It's a good combo with the black and you use it effectively.
  • The planar approach to the face. Planar coloring can be really effective and you made a particularly good case for it here. You really captured the angular feel, especially around the cheekbones
  • The focus. You made the face detailed and got looser and looser as you worked your way down. I think it's a great way of keeping the viewer interested and spending your time wisely.

Things you may want to think about:
  • The background white. White generally isn't the best color to have as a background. It's much brighter than people think and it sucks some of the color away. I find that a simple gray or really any cool, desaturated color works best.
  • The pose. I think Lissar nailed it in that it looks a bit awkward. Part of it is that your lines of action are a bit off, at least to me. It feels like the line created by the forearms is too similar to that created by the hip. It also doesn't help that it feels like her butt is a bit too low. Here's what I see:
  • Contrast in the face. Again, like Lissar said, I think you may want to darken up the skin in the area of shadow under the chin.
I really don't know why the image is showing up so big. I quoted it too...

Thanks for the critiques! I really appreciate the help, and I went and changed a few things:

I agree about the white background, but I messed up some of my layers in photoshop while I was working and it's just going to be too much work to change it for a quick painting. Next time I'll keep that in mind.

Also, I realized that I really need to get my monitors colour corrected. My main monitor and my cintiq screen have drastically different colour temperatures.
Last edited by Divvy; 05-31-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Ken
Member
(05-31-2013, 03:02 AM)
Ken's Avatar
Gesture warm up. 6 minutes.

Took about an hour. Will probably draw some more later today since I need to work on figure drawing.
Platy
Member
(05-31-2013, 03:13 AM)
Platy's Avatar

Originally Posted by LuffyZoro

Yay ! =D

Originally Posted by Ken

Gesture warm up. 6 minutes.



Took about an hour. Will probably draw some more later today since I need to work on figure drawing.

Awesome ! Love the random animal crossing figure there xD
Ken
Member
(05-31-2013, 03:19 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Platy

Awesome ! Love the random animal crossing figure there xD

Hehe, thanks!
~Devil Trigger~
In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
(05-31-2013, 04:16 AM)
~Devil Trigger~'s Avatar
Corel Painter12
Shop CS5
Wacom intuos3
Time: 2nd Half of Heat vs Pacers game

ReiGun
They call me "Mr Soap"
(05-31-2013, 04:18 AM)
ReiGun's Avatar

Day one. Going to focus on still life drawing for the time being.

I really want to improve, so I hope to use this thread to mark my progress. Feel free to offer any tips/critiques if you have them. :)

Picture of the subject: http://i.minus.com/ibzjGFhGA7r7WB.jpg
PaulExcellent
Member
(05-31-2013, 04:37 AM)
PaulExcellent's Avatar
Since I was at the site, I wasn't able to post mine from yesterday, but a friendly Gaffer from the Animal Crossing thread reminded me of this!

So... I'll post two of them!

I've been working on my drawing at work, as I really want to be better at it.
I hope it's alright! > <

Each one was made in a time span of 4 hours, with an immense amount of interruptions. lol
OatmealMu
I will pee on you and
your undead cousin
(05-31-2013, 06:03 AM)
OatmealMu's Avatar



Time: 90 minutes
Medium: Photoshop CS5.1, Intuos4, Space Navigator
Notes: Referenced Old Bay Seasoning tin. Didn't bother with text as that shit takes forever. It cost $2.99 according to the sticker on top.
Last edited by OatmealMu; 06-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.
yogloo
Member
(05-31-2013, 06:46 AM)
yogloo's Avatar

Originally Posted by OatmealMu

Time: 90 minutes
Medium: Photoshop CS5.1, Intuos4, Space Navigator
Notes: Referenced Old Bay Seasoning tin. Didn't bother with text as that shit takes forever. It cost $2.99 according to the sticker on top.

Thats so friggin awesome. Can I call you dad?
matellis
Junior Member
(05-31-2013, 06:52 AM)
matellis's Avatar
Some really nice work here guys!

Here is mine before I start todays freelance. Got the idea to make an old polaroid photo from mars.



- Photoshop CS3 and Cintiq
- 45 mins.
yogloo
Member
(05-31-2013, 07:10 AM)
yogloo's Avatar

Here's one for today.
Mieu
Member
(05-31-2013, 07:12 AM)
Mieu's Avatar

Comic Book Character from Pinoy Funny Komiks. He's name is Combatron. Inspired by Megaman
Ken
Member
(05-31-2013, 07:15 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mieu

Comic Book Character from Pinoy Funny Komiks. He's name is Combatron. Inspired by Megaman

But why does he have a U on his head?
jdl
Banned
(05-31-2013, 07:31 AM)

Originally Posted by OatmealMu

Time: 90 minutes
Medium: Photoshop CS5.1, Intuos4, Space Navigator
Notes: Referenced Old Bay Seasoning tin. Didn't bother with text as that shit takes forever. It cost $2.99 according to the sticker on top.

this is nice. might help to bump those highlights.
Mieu
Member
(05-31-2013, 07:44 AM)
Mieu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

But why does he have a U on his head?


I haven't asked the author myself. But that's where he get his ultimate weapon. The Galactic Space Sword

*OT. Not my work
Lissar
Reluctant Member
(05-31-2013, 08:15 AM)
Lissar's Avatar
Why did I do this to myself. I just wanted to paint I guess. :<



Time: Hour with breaks.
Made with: Painter XII, Intuos5, pain killers, dash of delirium.
Music of the moment: Thomas Was Alone soundtrack.

Comments: I feel a little embarrassed posting this as my first one, but I did already put all the work into it. I should have waited until I healed!
Ken
Member
(05-31-2013, 08:22 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lissar

Comments: I feel a little embarrassed posting this as my first one, but I did already put all the work into it. I should have waited until I healed!

I think it looks great, and I look forward to seeing the stuff you do when fully healed lol.
Jhoan
Member
(05-31-2013, 08:24 AM)
Saw an image on the back of my brand new copy of Tomb Raider that I had to draw so I came up with this:



Wacom Bamboo Tablet
About 1.3 hours or so
Photoshop (pressure sensitive soft brush)

Here's the original image for reference (the one that says Fight to live):

Notice that my image isn't exactly as in perspective as the original image. This is because I ran out of space/didn't size the document to the same approximate dimension as the original image.

My fingers hurt a bit, but that was pretty damn fun after coming from doing a comic. It felt like I was drawing with charcoals all over again. It's the first video game related art I've done in years. I can't wait to do some more.

EDIT: I already realized an error I made that I need to fix. I need to go to sleep so I'll fix it much later.
Last edited by Jhoan; 05-31-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Lissar
Reluctant Member
(05-31-2013, 08:32 AM)
Lissar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

I think it looks great, and I look forward to seeing the stuff you do when fully healed lol.

Thanks! I'm glad someone enjoys it.

Originally Posted by Jipan

Notice that my image isn't exactly as in perspective as the original image. This is because I ran out of space/didn't size the document to the same approximate dimension as the original image.

But image sizes can be changed so easily! I almost never stick to the original size I choose because I am a crazy person.
Jhoan
Member
(05-31-2013, 08:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Lissar

But image sizes can be changed so easily! I almost never stick to the original size I choose because I am a crazy person.

I didn't know that. Chalk it up to me feeling lazy then. I thought about doing that since bigger is always better. I'll probably go back, increase the size and get the other details in. All right, now I really need to go to sleep. It's almost 4AM here in New York.
Lissar
Reluctant Member
(05-31-2013, 08:43 AM)
Lissar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jipan

I didn't know that. Chalk it up to me feeling lazy then. I thought about doing that since bigger is always better. I'll probably go back, increase the size and get the other details in. All right, now I really need to go to sleep. It's almost 4AM here in New York.

I believe in Photoshop you just have to go to Image -> Canvas Size to change dimensions (not sure if this is true across all versions of Photoshop, I've only used CS2. Plus I've always been more of a Painter kinda gal.)
AFollowerNotALeader
Member
(05-31-2013, 10:42 AM)
AFollowerNotALeader's Avatar

Originally Posted by ~Devil Trigger~

Corel Painter12
Shop CS5
Wacom intuos3
Time: 2nd Half of Heat vs Pacers game

I really love the vibrant colour + strong contrast in this one!
Prax
Member
(05-31-2013, 11:32 AM)
Prax's Avatar
Subscribed.

I am sleep deprived.

So here you go. Sketch of kinda drunk character thinking about her dead friend.



- 15 minutes.
- Paint Tool SAI
- Wacom Intuos 3 (medium size)
Alpha_eX
Member
(05-31-2013, 12:42 PM)
Alpha_eX's Avatar
I just discovered the dodge and burn tools so tried to see what I could do with a blob of colour. I then did the background, all purple and used the same tools to make a crater. I kinda cheated using the textured surface over the top of the background to finish up.

Thoughts and critique welcomed!



I started drawing the green face pen pot on my desk and then played around with the dodge and burn tools, for an hour or so.

Time: 1 hour
Medium: Photoshop with Wacom Bamboo
Reference: Click to see pen pot
AFollowerNotALeader
Member
(05-31-2013, 01:50 PM)
AFollowerNotALeader's Avatar
Day 2 (last this week)

Time: 44 minutes
Medium: GIMP + Wacom Bamboo
Notes: This is more my normal style. I really messed up here by not starting with a circle for the head in my sketch. This is meant to be the head of the new GTR Star Saber toy. It went *wrong*. Basically it needs to be wider at the eye-line.
Last edited by AFollowerNotALeader; 05-31-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Violet_0
(05-31-2013, 02:22 PM)
Violet_0's Avatar
2
removed
Last edited by Violet_0; 06-05-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Anteater
Member
(05-31-2013, 02:25 PM)
Anteater's Avatar


day 2
digital/corel painter 12
an hour
Futureman
Member
(05-31-2013, 04:01 PM)
Futureman's Avatar
DAY 2



I did this last week.... Water color: http://www.gregburgh.com/draw/brodeur.jpg
Last edited by Futureman; 05-31-2013 at 04:10 PM.
ShadiWulf
Member
(05-31-2013, 06:24 PM)


spent way too much time on it, i have trouble with faces so im constantly erasing things. i always get the guidelines wrong, and then i have trouble with eyes/nose/mouth too.

my goal this upcoming month is to get better at drawing faces.
Keikaku
Member
(05-31-2013, 06:53 PM)
Keikaku's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadiWulf



spent way too much time on it, i have trouble with faces so im constantly erasing things. i always get the guidelines wrong, and then i have trouble with eyes/nose/mouth too.

my goal this upcoming month is to get better at drawing faces.

This guy is a former concept artist from ArenaNet. Check out this tutorial of his on drawing faces.

Some tips from my own experience:
  • Your time should be split 75/25 on proportion versus details. If you spend the time to make sure that you have the proportion of all the various faces parts correct relative to each other, you'll find that details are almost trivial to put in.
  • Generally speaking, the outer edges/top of the eyes line up with the top of the ear.
  • The bottom of the nose lines up with the bottom of the ears.
  • Faces are not always symmetrical. Don't worry too much unless you end up drawing something sub-human looking.
  • DON'T DRAW HARD OUTLINES TO BEGIN. Focus on proportion, general shapes, sizes and placement then shading details.

EDIT: Work on drawing your own face from a mirror and you should see rapid improvement. Here's my progression with my face over 6 months and you can see how proportion gets better.

Last edited by Keikaku; 05-31-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Nillansan
Member
(05-31-2013, 07:09 PM)
Nillansan's Avatar
Nice thread.

I have been drawing some Vic Nguyen style portraits for a game that I am working on.



3 hours. Wacom Intuos 4.
matellis
Junior Member
(05-31-2013, 07:11 PM)
matellis's Avatar
Finished work for today so I thought I would do some Destiny fan art.

The traveler taking a break on its way to earth to get a drink of water at the last lake on a planet covered in massive stromatolite.

- 4 hours.
- Photoshop CS3
- Used a few different photos in this one and used matte painting techniques to set up the scene. I can post the reference if anyone is interested.
Last edited by matellis; 05-31-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: forgot the pic
highrider
Member
(05-31-2013, 07:19 PM)
highrider's Avatar


S memo. 10 minutes or so.

Thread Tools