• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-14-2017, 06:06 PM)
- Splitsider: Andy Daly on Wrapping Up the Wonderfully Dark ‘Review’

Forrest says yes to so many crazy funny adventures on the show. Where did you draw the line in the writer’s room?

We usually drew the line on things that were physically implausible. But sometimes it was hard to know where to draw that line. For instance, in the fifth episode of our first season we had Forrest go into space on a private space exploration shuttle — like SpaceX or Virgin Space, whatever those things are. But none of those things exist — yet. You can’t buy a ticket to go to space yet. Probably in five to ten years that will be possible. But at the time I was kind of worried. This show takes place in the real world, we’re really asking people to take a leap with the plausibility of this. But no one ever had a problem with it. I never heard from one person. Of all the people all across this internet who pick nits with this and that nobody ever said, “Hey, that’s not real yet.” So where you think the plausibility line is, is very much open to interpretation. But yeah, plausibility is important because we do want it to feel like this is taking place in the real world. That’s the only real line because we don’t mind putting Forrest through outrageous, ridiculous adventures.

In season 3, Forrest reaches new offensive heights. It was really funny, but was there any hesitation?

We did have one where Forrest was going to get breast implants. But it just seemed like all of the jokes ended up being jokes possibly at the expense of people in gender transition. It started to feel like — even though on paper it seemed funny to see Forrest with breasts and negotiating life, it was not going to be fun for some people. And of course in our episode, “Little Person,” we talked a lot about how to be on the right side of that — how to make it clear that Forrest is the idiot and the show knows he’s the idiot. So that was kind of the model for Helen Keller in season 3. Forrest was going to unnecessarily hamper his own ability to do this well by becoming artificially deaf and blind instantaneously. Before he can really do any research into Helen Keller’s life or what it means to be deaf and blind, he just makes himself incompetent from the get go. He starts out from a place of ignorance and false assumptions. So hopefully the way you feel watching the piece is that Forrest is the idiot and the show knows he’s the idiot. We’re not trying to make fun of anyone but Forrest.

Is there any message that you hope the audience walks away with after watching Review?

I think there’s definitely a work/life balance message to be communicated on this show. I think Forrest is obviously a person who sacrifices way too much for his work and as it happens his work is idiotic so that doesn’t help. If there’s one message, it’s to get your priorities right in life.

So what’s next for you, do you know yet?

I’m not sure, I ended that experience thinking it would be nice to be just be an actor on somebody else’s show, let somebody else sweat all the details so I’m kind of casting about for the perfect acting job. But at the same time, after a few months of not writing anything I had to write something, so I’ve written an animated pilot called Dalton Wilcox and the Journeymen. So fans of my podcast will have some idea of what to expect from that. So the process of figuring out if anyone wants to put that on television has just begun and hopefully someone will. Yeah, it turns out I love writing and acting, so I’ll have to find ways to keep doing both of those things.

More via the link.
JustenP88
I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
(03-14-2017, 06:09 PM)
Thank you, cornballer. I had no idea season 3 was about to happen. It is my life's true goal to somehow make Andy Daly my father before I or he or we die so I am very excited.
The One Who Knocks
(03-14-2017, 06:16 PM)
Cannot wait for this! Review posted a clip of the first review on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/reviewwithf...7993719590425/

(topic of one of the first reviews/a new preview): "Putting a Pet to Sleep"

(discusion of one of the first reviews/new preview): I wouldn't be shocked if while he's getting to know the bearded dragon before killing him, if the bearded dragon dies naturally and he has no choice but to go get another pet/the dog
Last edited by The One Who Knocks; 03-14-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Dan
No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
(03-14-2017, 06:16 PM)

But at the same time, after a few months of not writing anything I had to write something, so I’ve written an animated pilot called Dalton Wilcox and the Journeymen. So fans of my podcast will have some idea of what to expect from that.

Oh shit, I want this. That'd have real potential in the animated realm. Dalton Wilcox, self-proclaimed Poet Laureate of the West, part-time 'vampire' hunter.
big ander
(03-15-2017, 12:00 AM)
I really wish CC or somebody would just release a goddamn episode count. I guess critics got 2 for screeners, Sepinwall said there are more but wouldn't say how many. Patton oswalt tweeted about having seen 3 and Daly said he couldn't wait for people to see them all. So maybe there are more than three? And maybe there aren't? At this point the lack of clarity better be intentional for some reason
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-15-2017, 12:11 AM)
It's odd. All evidence points to there being only three, but at not as if I've seen firm confirmation anywhere official.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-15-2017, 06:20 AM)
- Onion A|V Club interview with Andy Daly

AVC: How do you feel about the way Review comes to a close?

AD: I’m very excited about the way that we have concluded the story of Forrest MacNeil and Review. We had a very good idea going into this season and we made it even better by just doing what we always do in the Review writers’ room, which is poking at it from all sides and hearing every idea and sifting through crazy possibilities. I’ve had months to think about it, so I kind of put it out of my mind, and didn’t revisit the episodes for many months—and I just have been revisiting them this week and really laughing.

AVC: Why did it take so long for this season to get to air? It’s almost been two years since season two aired.

AD: To be blunt about it: I think when a network like Comedy Central has a show that makes tons of money for them, they’re in a real hurry to get it on the air. [Laughs.] So the inverse may be true.

After season two aired, there was a real question of, “Can we do more of these?” It was truly one of the most critically acclaimed TV shows of 2014 and 2015, but I don’t think it’s a big money maker for [Comedy Central]. So I think they were in a bit of a quandary, but we figured out a good way to bring it to a close. So that process took a little figuring out, and making the show takes the time it takes. I don’t know why it took so long for them to find a spot on their schedule, but I do believe they found it a very good time to air, and I hope people watch it.

Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-15-2017, 04:35 PM)
- Collider: ‘Review’ Final Season Review: Andy Daly’s Brutal, Absurd Comedy Series Takes a Bow

Rating: Four stars — Still brutal, smart, and without mercy

- Paste Magazine: Adieu, Review: Andy Daly on Forrest MacNeil's Last Stand

Paste: How would you describe the tone of this new season? Did you and the writers feel that there was more freedom to be outrageous while you were in the home stretch?

AD: I mean, I think we felt total freedom altogether this season. Comedy Central just let us end the story however we wanted to end it. They gave no notes, no feedback, they said, “Just go,” which is incredible. And so our desire more than anything was to tell a concise, clear, fun story with a clear end point that we liked, and to make it something that would be satisfying for somebody kind of binge-watching all three seasons at once in the future, and to really make it satisfying for people who’d been with the show up to that point and fans of the show. So that was our desire. Tonally, I don’t think we necessarily thought too much about outrageousness or tone. We were really focused on our story and our character and what would be a fun way to go out.

Paste: As you look back now on the show, are there any particular episodes, or reviews, or even just individual moments that you’re particularly proud of?

AD: God, there’s so much that I’m proud of with this show. I mean, I’m so proud of “Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes.” That episode is amazing. I’m so proud of that, I’m so proud of “There All is Aching,” and I’m so proud of the way that season one ended. Season two—when I look back on season two, it’s kind of amazing to me that we outdid ourselves. We made the best show that we knew how to make in season one, and then in season two, we, I think, made a better show, and I kind of marvel at that, to be less than humble. [laughs] But I love the way our second season starts. I love the episode that has “Giving Something Six Stars” and “Public Speaking,” that’s an episode I love so much. I love the “Conspiracy Theory” episode, I love the cult. Crazy orange hulk storming the cult compound is an absolute favorite of mine … There are so many moments. And then, of course, killing Fred Willard in outer space [laughs] is a favorite moment. Yeah, there’s just a ton of them, and I’m also really, really thrilled with the way that we ended things in season three. I think we had a great idea for how to end the show, and then the writers room managed to improve it by a lot. So I’m very excited.

Paste: That’s really exciting to hear. It’s funny that you mention “Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes,” because I wanted to ask you about that. That episode seems to have become kind of a phenomenon just in itself. Do you have any particular memories from making that episode? Did you expect it to become this kind of outsized, popular piece of the show?

AD: Well, no. There’s a lot to say about that episode, actually, the making of it, because it shapes the series in huge and important ways. When we made the pilot for Review, Forrest was more of a jerk. He was kind of a psychopath, actually. The Forrest of the pilot was a guy who was taking on these assignments because he wanted to, and he took more pleasure in kind of meting out punishment on the world, and yes, he himself got punished too, but he was a little more of a bad actor in the world in the pilot. And Jeff Blitz—I brought Jeff Blitz on to help me run the show when we got picked up—and he said, you know, we knew we wanted to have Forrest divorce his wife for the show, because they did that in the Australian version and it’s very effective in the Australian version. So we knew we wanted to do that. Jeff had this idea that, for that to really have an impact, we had to feel like Forrest truly loves his wife, and would never have divorced her or hurt her if not for this show asking him to do it. And if that is true, then it means that Forrest is someone with a moral compass, and someone with some sense of values. And so, the fact that we knew we wanted the divorce segment to have a huge impact affected our whole conception of the character, and changed the show in huge and important ways. And then the other thing to say about “Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes” is, it was originally scripted as “Pancakes, Divorce, Batman, Pancakes,” and we shot it that way and edited it that way, but it was 35 minutes long. [laughs] We tried to get that version of it down to time, and at some point our editor said, “I’ve got a different idea: What if we bump ‘Batman’ to the next episode?” And it kind of had this chain reaction that resulted in our delivering, instead of the eight episodes that Comedy Central had ordered, nine episodes. And it was the hardest decision in the world. It seems so crazy to take “Batman” out of episode three and put it into episode four, but it’s ultimately what we ended up doing, and I’m so glad we did, because it allows all of those segments to breathe and to not be cut down to this incredibly fast-paced form, and obviously people have responded to it so much. Whenever I read something positive about “Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes,” I think, “Oh, it was almost ‘Pancakes, Divorce, Batman, Pancakes,’ it was so close to being that. I’m so glad it’s not.”

- Salon on Review

Comedy Central is leaving the episode count of the final season a mystery, but the latest installments episodes of “Review” hint that Forrest is due for a harsh reckoning sooner rather than later. When the show finally ends, fans may be left with mixed feelings. Suffering can be difficult to watch, even that endured by a fictional character fooling himself into believing his worthless pursuits are somehow a boon to mankind.

sugarhigh4242
(03-15-2017, 04:42 PM)
I'm amazed that CC has allowed this show to continue to a decent resolution, and I can't wait!
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-15-2017, 06:49 PM)
- Inverse: The Most Twisted Show on TV Is Back – Here's How It's Made (Andy Daly interview)

In a sense, the show is pulling double duty by telling an ongoing story through disconnected outings. It may seem like the review challenges come first and dictate the arc of Forrest’s life, but they are always second to the larger story they want to tell. There have generally been two to three reviews per episode, a standard that has continued into this final go-round.

“We pitched out hundreds of different topics and subjects for reviews on little index cards and put them all up around the room. Then we talked about the story that we want to tell over the course of the season,” Daly explained. “And then we plugged in reviews into episodes, sometimes because we needed something energetic, or something that feels like it’s going to be physically challenging, or fun, or even something weighty to counterbalance something silly. But a lot of times we put specific review segments into certain episodes because we have an idea how it’s going to help tell a story over the course of a season.”

The pièce de résistance comes late in Season 2 when Forrest murders a man. At the beginning of the season, he had been granted two vetoes over particularly egregious requests and used one to decline the initial suggestion that he take someone’s life. But when it was suggested again, and he was out of vetoes, he felt he had no choice but to go looking for someone to kill. That it wound up happening in self-defense was beside the point; Forrest went looking for confrontation because he is unhealthily devoted to a job that is destroying his life. He’s a slave to its rules because he either believes in the sanctity of the mission, is a terrible decision-maker, or both.

“Forrest has a very clear sense of rules and his own idea of right and wrong, and his ethic for this work that he does,” Daly said. “He’s very sure about all of that. Where he goes disastrously wrong is that he puts all of that first, and his own safety and well-being comes after that — as well as the happiness of the people around him and their safety. He does seem misguided and blind in various ways, and he seems kind of dumb, so he deserves to be punished — but only to a certain extent.”

- Flavorwire: Comedy Central’s ‘Review’ is a Merciless Indictment of Capitalism
Goldenroad
(03-15-2017, 06:51 PM)
So excited.

I feel like the series really took off with Pancakes, Divorce, Pancakes, and has gotten consistently more crazy since then. I wish this show would go on forever.
big ander
(03-15-2017, 07:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Cornballer

- Salon on Review

Comedy Central is leaving the episode count of the final season a mystery

Interesting. My theory: Forrest will die in the last review and they want to ensure it's as big a surprise as possible when it happens.
kris.
(03-15-2017, 07:15 PM)
rewatching the first two seasons. i forgot how uncomfortable the divorce episode was. fuck i love this show.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-16-2017, 02:00 PM)
Season premiere tonight:

Locorito; Pet Euthanasia; Dream

After surviving his big fall, Forrest gets back to work by reviewing a Mexican restaurant's new product; the experience of putting a pet to sleep; what it's like to live his dream.

Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-16-2017, 04:44 PM)
- The Atlantic: Saying Goodbye to Andy Daly’s Bizarre Review

Review has never been a show with broad appeal, but it’s not just a simple exercise in cringe humor, either. Daly’s tightly wound performance is so pitch-perfect, and the world around him so meticulously crafted, that the show works almost as well as a drama as it does as a comedy. Its final episodes are particularly loaded with gripping twists and turns. Forrest may be a truly horrible human being, but in his three years on television, he’s been one of the most fascinating characters to watch. It’ll be good to see him get a proper sendoff, just rewards and all.

- YahooTV review

Review remains one of the most entertaining, and occasionally quite moving, shows on television.

War Peaceman
(03-16-2017, 04:46 PM)
Cannot wait for this. We need more dark comedies like this.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-16-2017, 08:47 PM)

B.K.
(03-17-2017, 02:51 AM)
It's almost time!
Dan
(03-17-2017, 06:42 AM)
Solid. The first two reviews had some great moments, but I thought the dream one faltered a bit. Grant continues to kill it.
metsallica
(03-17-2017, 06:48 AM)
Still love this. Anyone seen the Australian original? Really curious about it, especially if it's as dark...
Dominator
(03-17-2017, 07:07 AM)
Oh FUCK

Didn't know this was coming back for a final season. And to find out that the first episode premiered tonight is just perfect. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow, I love this show.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-17-2017, 04:02 PM)
The Grant bits and the pet sequence were great.

- Onion A|V Club review
- Sepinwall's review
helloresolven
(03-17-2017, 05:13 PM)
The pet bit was top-notch Review action.
the_firewithin
(03-18-2017, 08:00 PM)
god im going to miss this show so much. AJ's facial expressions are priceless, Suzanne not having any of his bullshit and asking what the review was is great.

The bathroom scene after the burrito lol and then getting furious when one lizard ate the other and having it killed with no remorse.
HotHamBoy
(03-18-2017, 08:31 PM)
I'm really pleased with how they followed up on the cliffhanger. seeing Grant in the wheelchair killed me
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-20-2017, 02:51 PM)
A few more premiere reviews:
- Paste Magazine
- NY Mag
BenjaminBirdie
(03-20-2017, 03:31 PM)
"You're comin' with me, you piece of shit."
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-20-2017, 03:33 PM)
"Did you check the cave?"
BenjaminBirdie
(03-20-2017, 03:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Cornballer

"Did you check the cave?"

"He's not in the cave."
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-20-2017, 05:20 PM)

saunderez
(03-20-2017, 05:47 PM)

Originally Posted by metsallica

Still love this. Anyone seen the Australian original? Really curious about it, especially if it's as dark...

It's way darker and its excellent. Forest MacNeil often has reservations over the more "out there" reviews. Myles Barlow has no such reservations. He goes way harder and they pretty much all spiral out of control. The actual reviews are much funnier too.

My favourites would have to be his review of "Addiction" and "Bucks Party" . Apology for the shit quality but it's the only ones I could find that you don't have to pay for.

Addiction

https://youtu.be/pIOCPMwslfY

Bucks Party

https://youtu.be/ueFJbuzWYnw

Dunno about other countries but it's on Netflix here in Australia.
Last edited by saunderez; 03-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.
U2NUMB
(03-21-2017, 01:27 AM)
How did I miss this... love season 1 and 2. And for some reason.. on both Xbox and Vudu it appears they are selling the entire season for only $5 so bought on Vudu.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-21-2017, 06:37 PM)
- Sneak peek clip from Thursday's episode
Last edited by Cornballer; 03-22-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-21-2017, 09:12 PM)
Andy Daly is going to be on Colbert tonight.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-22-2017, 02:21 PM)
- Andy Daly's appearance on Colbert
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-23-2017, 04:26 PM)
New episode tonight:

Co-host, Ass-slap, Hellen Keller, Forgiveness

Forrest swaps roles with A.J., tries to live like Helen Keller and visits Suzanne to review forgiveness.

metsallica
(03-23-2017, 06:19 PM)

Originally Posted by saunderez

It's way darker and its excellent. Forest MacNeil often has reservations over the more "out there" reviews. Myles Barlow has no such reservations. He goes way harder and they pretty much all spiral out of control. The actual reviews are much funnier too.

My favourites would have to be his review of "Addiction" and "Bucks Party" . Apology for the shit quality but it's the only ones I could find that you don't have to pay for.

Addiction

https://youtu.be/pIOCPMwslfY

Bucks Party

https://youtu.be/ueFJbuzWYnw

Dunno about other countries but it's on Netflix here in Australia.

Dang. Are there blurays I can import?
B.K.
(03-24-2017, 03:18 AM)
That was an anti-climatic way to end Forrest's murder trial. I wonder what they would have done if they had more episodes this season.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(03-24-2017, 05:10 AM)
- Onion A|V Club review
Dan
(03-24-2017, 07:10 AM)
Looks the episode count is confirmed based on scheduling... and an episode's title... 3

Originally Posted by B.K.

That was an anti-climatic way to end Forrest's murder trial. I wonder what they would have done if they had more episodes this season.

On the other hand, the casual way Forrest reveals he was acquitted for being white was pretty hilarious.
The One Who Knocks
(03-24-2017, 01:59 PM)
That episode was great, but I really wish they'd a full episode count. Just the "Being a Co-Host" and "Slapping a Stranger's Ass" reviews could have ordinarily occupied the full length of the episode. The "Being Helen Keller" segment was a really good successor to the "Being a Little Person" review from season two, and interacted very well with Forrest's on-going legal difficulties (even if it reached a rather anticlimactic ending as BK notes) The "Forgiveness" segment was excellent, and completely subverting the expectations of the review by having Forrest forgive Suzanne was incredible. Each of the reviews really complimented each other very well.

It seems the next episode's title is: (SPOILERS) "Cryogenics; Lightning; Last Review" and the next episode's description is: (SPOILER) Forrest sets out to cryogenically freeze himself and gets struck by lightning; Forrest receives a surprising message from Suzanne.

Speculation (Spoiler of title and description): While it's pointless to speculate when it comes to the show, I'm guessing Suzanne did go through the official channels, and put in a request for Forrest to review "Giving a final review" or some similarly worded review. Given how Comedy Central won't give an episode count, I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the last episode, and if either Review within the show ends but there's still an episode of two of Forrest dealing with his now completely empty life, or if he ends up vetoing the review so that he can continue having some purpose to his life. Of course it's also highly possible he ends up dying some how, but given the lack of an episode count the title "Last Review" surely has to be some form of misdirection.
HotHamBoy
(03-24-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by B.K.

I disagree. How long could they drag that out? He's already done Review from prison.

They devoted a very long bit to it, then the joke (which was brilliant) was that he got off despite his absurd behavior.

The anti-climactic reveal that he was acquitted is perfectly in-line with how the show handled Grant & Forrest's cliffhanger and Forrest's castaway months on the ocean, etc.

Originally Posted by The One Who Knocks

That episode was great, but I really wish they'd a full episode count. Just the "Being a Co-Host" and "Slapping a Stranger's Ass" reviews could have ordinarily occupied the full length of the episode.

I liked the way they did it, it delivered.

"Didn't Do It"
Last edited by HotHamBoy; 03-24-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Mindlog
(03-24-2017, 09:17 PM)

or if he ends up vetoing the review so that he can continue having some purpose to his life.

I like that. I like that very much.
War Peaceman
(03-24-2017, 09:20 PM)

That episode was great, but I really wish they'd a full episode count. Just the "Being a Co-Host" and "Slapping a Stranger's Ass" reviews could have ordinarily occupied the full length of the episode. The "Being Helen Keller" segment was a really good successor to the "Being a Little Person" review from season two, and interacted very well with Forrest's on-going legal difficulties (even if it reached a rather anticlimactic ending as BK notes) The "Forgiveness" segment was excellent, and completely subverting the expectations of the review by having Forrest forgive Suzanne was incredible. Each of the reviews really complimented each other very well.

It seems the next episode's title is: (SPOILERS) "Cryogenics; Lightning; Last Review" and the next episode's description is: (SPOILER) Forrest sets out to cryogenically freeze himself and gets struck by lightning; Forrest receives a surprising message from Suzanne.

Speculation (Spoiler of title and description): While it's pointless to speculate when it comes to the show, I'm guessing Suzanne did go through the official channels, and put in a request for Forrest to review "Giving a final review" or some similarly worded review. Given how Comedy Central won't give an episode count, I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the last episode, and if either Review within the show ends but there's still an episode of two of Forrest dealing with his now completely empty life, or if he ends up vetoing the review so that he can continue having some purpose to his life. Of course it's also highly possible he ends up dying some how, but given the lack of an episode count the title "Last Review" surely has to be some form of misdirection.

I'm with you that Last Review has to be misdirection. I'd expect him to end that episode with renewed purpose and then die in the next one.
the_firewithin
(Today, 01:55 AM)
Jessica st Clair is hilarious. "I give zero fucks" lol