• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

capylikesgames
(03-07-2017, 11:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Echoplx

Really getting sick of the long loading times whenever I import or export a profile, is there any fix?

Yeah, it's weird. Doesn't happen often to me anymore, but annoying when it does. No fix as far as I know, but if you're in the middle of a game, you can always hit home and keep playing while it finishes up.
UnaiGamer
(03-08-2017, 07:38 PM)
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition just got native Steam Controller support.

8th March 2017
- Added Simplified Chinese localization
- Added Native Steam controller support
- D3D errors don't crash the game but show a message box with the proper error code

Please note :
When you use Steam Controller, only button prompts for the actual Steam Controller will be shown, never prompts for Dual Shock 4 or other controllers supported by Steam Big Picture. You might end up not seeing button prompts at all if using Dual Shock 4 or other controller via Steam Big Picture.

capylikesgames
(03-10-2017, 06:45 AM)

Originally Posted by UnaiGamer

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition just got native Steam Controller support.

Finally! I remember refunding it back when it launched because it didn't have it yet. I've got to get my hands on it again. Any impressions yet?

EDIT: Not related, but don't want to double post. Somebody released a mod for Dark Souls that implements (experimental) Steam Controller support. It's based on Durante's mouse mod, which I recall being great, but disabled the gamepad entirely. Going to try it out tonight and edit in my impressions asap! Dark Souls was already lovely with joystick mouse mode, but the idea of having native mouselook is exciting.

EDIT 2: It's fantastic. Having full mouselook in this game feels incredible. Honestly, being able to flick to your backside in a middle of a fight helps so much. Switching targets is a bit finicky, but other than that, I love it.
Last edited by capylikesgames; 03-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Sophia
(03-17-2017, 06:24 PM)
I really wish I had a direct line to Valve or something. I just met someone else who's suffering from the same issue with FFXIV: No controller is being detected by the game, so no Steam Controller gamepad prompts work.

It's ridiculous that this has been broken so long. Some sort of explanation as to why this is happening and why it hasn't been fixed would be nice. : \

EDIT: Apparently this only impacts DirectX11 mode. Disabling DX11 in the launcher makes it work perfectly... huh.

EDIT 2: It's not a file name issue. Renaming "ffxiv_dx11.exe" to "ffxiv.exe" does not solve the issue. The Steam Controller straight up does not get Xinputs using the DX11 client for some reason.
Last edited by Sophia; 03-17-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Nzyme32
(03-18-2017, 12:00 AM)
Anyone wanting to try Nier Automata with the Steam Controller, it works pretty damn well - though no mouse dedicated controller with gamepad, and you wouldn't necessarily want that anyway with the way the game works, as actual mouse control isn't handled as well as it should have been.

A simple setup is working for me:
  • Mouse-joystick is absolutely brilliant for the third-person camera and aiming. The in-game sensitivity goes super high to the point where it is actually too much, and it lets you control both horizontal and vertical. I would suggest moving the horizontal up 10 notches and the vertical 10 notches (which is already offset by 2 notches less than horizontal). This ends up feel about right for me with the default. There are no weird deadzones, so this works out great vs if it were a mouse. I used the default steam controller sensitivity and only changed the in game settings.
  • There is an auto camera readjust during third person movement. You can switch this off if you want better camera control, but I don't know what is best yet so I reduced it's correction and will test it further
  • For the Shmup sections, you will want to have a traditional right stick since the game isn't set up well enough for anything else. Thankfully, mode switching to the rescue. A and X are set to left and right grips, but I also set the left grip for a quick double tap to switch between analogue stick and mouse-joystick for the right pad. This works our pretty perfectly.

Still pretty early in the game, so I might find that I change some things, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.
Ivan
(03-20-2017, 05:45 PM)
I finally got my steam controller...

Boy is it hard to start with this thing.

I understand the concept completely, but I just can't find a nice balance of everything.

Even community configurations aren't working for me most of the time.

I'll try to play fps only with this and I see that the game has to be installed if you want it's community profiles?

If that's true, what would you recommend to install to get some nice FPS profiles for a start?

They really have to streamline all this somehow, this can't be the way to start a game.

It makes 90s dos configurations look like child's play. This is actual WORK for EVERY game.

I'm sure they'll improve it somehow, but this is too much even for an average gaf user, just imagine someone who just wants to play and has no clue.

I was able to configure the trackball mode the way I like for looking around and turning, but I'm not precise enough if I want to pinpoint something. Not even close. It's very far from precision of a mouse.

Even changing sensitivity and acceleration and basically everything else didn't help me.

Any advice on some settings for those most precise movements?

Software is my main concern, but I have many complains on hardware too.

Many of the buttons are clicky in some of the worst ways I ever experienced. And totally inconsistent too.

Something is soft, something very hard and clicky , and something else just clicks in a different way.

But that can't be changed, so I won't focus on that.

If it's easier to explain, pick a game and tell me what profile to get or show me the way to some precise aiming.

There's just one condition : I don't want to use gyro at all. I hate any kind of motion controls.

Thanx.
Last edited by Ivan; 03-20-2017 at 05:54 PM.
dangeROSS
(03-20-2017, 10:18 PM)
It does take a while to get the hang of the Steam controller. Even after having it for about a year now, I still find myself learning new things and tweaking settings all the time in pursuit of that perfect configuration. That said it's a really great device and I'm glad it even exists. Just realize it takes time to adjust to it. My main complaint is that I encounter the software having hiccups and causing issues sometimes.

Are you looking for advice for first person shooter games? I know you said you don't want to use Gyro controls, but you should really give it a shot with the steam controller. It's likely my favorite aspect about it. For myself - What I have kind of come to use for the moment for FPS games is using the right trackpad for large sweeping movements. Limiting the trackpad to mainly horizontal movement and turning off trackball or acceleration. Then using the Gyro for my real aiming needs. I haven't gotten much into using just the trackpad for aiming, but I should really try to experiment with that more.
Just getting around the right trackpad and gyro are the biggest hurdles. The rest of the controller is pretty familiar with the great addition of having the back grips which I love.

Try testing community profiles with some games you have and changing settings until you are happy with the way things are. I don't think there is a magic setup out there that everyone will agree is the best, but that's the beauty in customizing it all to your liking.

There is a very handy Youtube channel I watch alot with tons of info about using the controller:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ExistentialEgg
codswallop
(03-21-2017, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Ivan

Boy is it hard to start with this thing.

My advice? Give it two months, try to use only this controller, go for the most simple configurations you can.

I nearly gave up on the whole thing after a couple of weeks, but forced myself to stick with it for a month after that. Eventually the button size and location becomes normal, the buttons wear in and are less stiff, and using the trackpad becomes second nature. Oh, and though I rarely use gyro, don't dismiss it out of hand, it isn't waggle but often used for fine tuning.

Once you're accustomed to the pad itself, then start with basic generic configs, play the game a bit, and only then start to think about altering the configs.

It has shortcomings, but I think it might be my favourite controller right now. I love it.
City 17
(03-21-2017, 10:42 AM)

It might come off as a lazy answer (well it is) but I suggest reading through the thread, the last 50 pages or so, as the controller has been improved too much since release with many new features, so much of the early info might be outdated. By reading the thread you'll find many people like yourself looking for advice and lots of good advice.
Ivan
(03-21-2017, 06:55 PM)
Yeah, I'm reading...

At the moment I'm experimenting with mode shifting, like aiming down the sight on classic controllers .

Soft press on left trigger gives me much lower sensitivity, so it helps.

Besides that, i really can't find a way to be more precise. everything else can be tweaked, but those small, precise movements and quick enough looking around at the same time are impossible.
Last edited by Ivan; 03-21-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Rodney McKay
(03-22-2017, 10:41 AM)
Anyone using a Steam Controller with Mass Effect Andromeda?

I was excited that it seemed to work perfectly in Gamepad+Mouse mode, but there's some issues I've noticed. When using the right TouchPad and the game switches to keyboard+mouse icons on the UI, I can no longer do certain actions. I can't charge certain powers (like overload) and I can't reload (it switches weapons instead).
The joystick mouse emulation I've never loved with the steam controller, but it's workable with the gyro.

I'm thinking my only option will be to add a mode shift to the buttons so that when I'm aiming with the mouse (or holding the left trigger) it switches to keyboard commands.
Sad Affleck
(03-22-2017, 11:41 AM)

Any advice on some settings for those most precise movements?

I have three main pieces of advice and several smaller ones.

1. Don't give up on it. The first days or even weeks are rough as you get accustomed to it, after five or so days of use I really wanted to sell mine. One year later, I haven't touched a mouse or traditional gamepad for gaming in months.

2. The best configuration by far for precise aiming is using the right touchpad for mouse movement and enabling trackball mode with low friction. Set the trackball haptics at least on medium or even high so that you get a good feel of the movement and momentum of the trackball.

3. Always choose mouse & keyboard-based configurations over gamepad-based ones in games that don't support simultaneous mouse and gamepad input. The controller's mouse emulation for gamepad games (the "gamepad with camera controls" template) is great for games that don't need precision aiming (Like Dark Souls or other games where the right analog stick is used mainly for controlling the camera) but pure mouse mode feels so much better, especially on games where aiming down sights drops the sensitivity. I played through Infinite Warfare's campaign twice, first with the gamepad with camera controls template and then with a mouse and keyboard template. The differnece was night and day, I had a lot more fun the second time.

Now, here's my advice on the best settings for first person shootters and any game where precise aiming is important. As I said, set Trackball mode to on, low trackball friction, at least medium trackball haptics. Set the sensitivity of the trackball to the default value (there's a notch on the slider, set it to that. The default mouse and keyboard template sets the sensitivity quite a bithigher than the default, so lower it).

Now, using either in-game (try that first) or Steam controller sensitivity settings, set the sensitivity to a value that allows you to execute a 90-degree turn with a single quick swipe of the touchpad from your original point of view. So in a shooter where you are looking directly ahead, placing your finger on the touchpad and swiping quickly to your right (without lifting your finger at the end of the motion) until you reach the edge of the touchpad should move the camera 90 degrees to your right. Think of the directions of a d-pad: if you started looking "up" (the top button of a d-pad) at the end of the swipe you should be looking "right".

This sensitivity setting (or something close to it, experiment to find the ideal setting for you) should give you plenty of fine control over your aiming as moving the finger slowly allows for precise aiming while a quicker swipe should allow you to quickly place the crosshair over any enemy in your field of vision.

So what happens when you need to turn quickly in order to fight an enemy that is more than a 90-degree angle away or behind you? That's where the trackball momentum comes in. Without trackball mode, if you needed to execute an 180-degree turn you would have to swipe at least twice in order to turn 180 degrees. With trackball mode you don't swipe this time, you flick your finger on the touchpad towards the direction you want and the trackball's momentum takes over, completing the turn for you. Once you are looking at the desired direction, place your finger on the touchpad to stop the trackball in place.

I know it sounds complicated and it does take practise but believe me, soon you will be able to aim with presicion and you will also be able to execute fast turns by flicking the trackball and stopping it on a dime. Once it clicks for you you will see just how impressive this controller really is.

As for recommended games for a beginner, cover-based shooters are an ideal choice because the enemies don't move around that much and they are generally slower-paced.
Last edited by Sad Affleck; 03-22-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Sleeping Lesson
(03-22-2017, 12:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Rodney McKay

I was excited that it seemed to work perfectly in Gamepad+Mouse mode, but there's some issues I've noticed. When using the right TouchPad and the game switches to keyboard+mouse icons on the UI, I can no longer do certain actions. I can't charge certain powers (like overload) and I can't reload (it switches weapons instead).
The joystick mouse emulation I've never loved with the steam controller, but it's workable with the gyro.

I'm thinking my only option will be to add a mode shift to the buttons so that when I'm aiming with the mouse (or holding the left trigger) it switches to keyboard commands.

Hm, I've been playing with it and haven't noticed the issues you're describing.
Sophia
(03-22-2017, 06:03 PM)
I'm pretty happy with how my Path of Exile configuration has turned out so far.

Six of the eight usable skill slots are firmly on the shoulder buttons. The remaining two skill buttons are on the right touchpad button and analog stick button respectively.

For the flasks..

I put them on the analog stick as a radical menu. By making it a mode-shift end, one simply has to flick in the direction of the analog stick to use it, which works fantastically in the middle of combat. Also doesn't take your hand off the mouse/shoulder buttons to use it either.

And then lastly the left touchpad functions as another radical menu, containing the control modifier key for quick selling, as well as functions like opening the inventory and stuff.

URL here if anyone wishes to try it: steam://controllerconfig/238960/888984902

On a related note, I've discovered that radical menus are almost universally more useful then touch menus. I originally had a different setup with the left touchpad as a radical menu/touch menu hybrid, but it didn't work so well. Switching the flasks and stuff around made the setup way more useful.
Last edited by Sophia; 03-22-2017 at 06:18 PM.
TheRed
(03-22-2017, 10:33 PM)

I haven't noticed any of that other then switching prompt icons, doesn't stop me from doing anything. Everything has worked great and I'm loving it.
Rodney McKay
(03-23-2017, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Sleeping Lesson

Hm, I've been playing with it and haven't noticed the issues you're describing.

Originally Posted by TheRed

I haven't noticed any of that other then switching prompt icons, doesn't stop me from doing anything. Everything has worked great and I'm loving it.

Huh, that's weird. And you are both using the full mouse on the right pad and not the emulated joystick/mouse setting?

I was able to fix my issues by making the buttons that were giving me trouble keyboard button presses when the right pad is being used (when the icons switch to PC prompts). I had to add reload to one of the grip triggers since the X button still wasn't doing it quite right, but I can charge powers like Overload now without them firing immediately.

And I just noticed I'm getting a weird double press issue with the X button when I'm skipping dialog, too. I just started using the grip button I use for reload (which is the same button as skipping dialog) which doesn't have the double press issue.
Last edited by Rodney McKay; 03-23-2017 at 12:53 AM.
belmonkey
(03-23-2017, 12:53 AM)
Are mouse cursor (positions) messed up for anyone else? When I try to make one, it still shows the BPM interface when trying to select where I want the mouse to move.

Also, is there any reason that joystick mouse controls seem more jerky on DS4 analog sticks compared to the Steam controller one? Any way to make it less jerky?
dangerskew
(03-23-2017, 01:16 AM)
Official Steam Controller case is $6 on Amazon right now with Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA46WST..._YzV0ybK9ZKYXE
TheRed
(03-23-2017, 03:00 AM)

Huh, that's weird. And you are both using the full mouse on the right pad and not the emulated joystick/mouse setting?

Yes. No issues in about 15 hours.
Emperor Bohe
(03-24-2017, 02:22 AM)
Just bought a Fosmon Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Cable for my late 2013 iMac. I game on it by using bootcamp with Windows 10. What's the best setup for comfy couch gaming? If I just mirror my 1440p iMac to my 1080p HDMI tv, will games performance significantly drop?
Nerrel
(03-24-2017, 02:28 AM)
After getting used to the Switch Pro controller I'm really hoping Valve gives it the same treatment as the Xbox and PS controllers. What's the best way to show Valve demand for this? I'd like to shoot them a comment somewhere just to add my voice for support.

I also wonder if it's possible for them to fully utilize the controller, since a BT connection only registers it as a DInput device and as far as I'm aware the gyro won't be recognized. Doesn't the DS4 also just register as DInput when first connected to PC, though? They got that fully supported. If nothing else I wouldn't mind buying a Mayflash adapter when one inevitably comes out, but it would be nice to save the $20.
capylikesgames
(03-24-2017, 02:45 AM)

I was able to configure the trackball mode the way I like for looking around and turning, but I'm not precise enough if I want to pinpoint something. Not even close. It's very far from precision of a mouse.

That's because Valve has filtering on by default. Disable smoothing entirely, trust me. There will be a big difference in accuracy when using the trackpad. Also, set the sensitivity so that you do a 135° turn from the left side to the right side of the pad. It's the best balance between range and accuracy. Then it's just a matter of getting used to trackball flicking for anything out of your range, and the trackpad ends up working pretty well on its own.
Echoplx
(03-24-2017, 02:43 PM)
Anyone else playing NieR with this? the hacking/shmup sections never feel quite right even when I set the trackpad to joystick camera mode.
didamangi
(03-24-2017, 06:51 PM)

Anyone else playing NieR with this? the hacking/shmup sections never feel quite right even when I set the trackpad to joystick camera mode.

There's a community profile that includes dual action set so you can change the right trackpad mode with a press of a button during the shmup sections. Works fine but can be a hassle on the 2nd playthrough.
capylikesgames
(03-24-2017, 07:49 PM)

No, I fell back on a DS4 for Automata. It sucks, because I can tell native support would be incredible in this game. I love the way it mixes shooting elements with physical combat, and the SC seems like it'd be a fantastic fit with the way it provides full analog movement, and unrestrictive aiming input.

That said, if joystick emulation on the right trackpad feels bad during the 2.5D sections, you might just have the deadzone shape set to cross, rather than circle. Valve has cross deadzone set to default, and it really limits the diagonal directions in twin stick shooters.

I actually feel the right trackpad emulating a right stick works a lot better than an actual right stick in that genre. It's got more range than an analog stick due to its size, which makes aiming more precise. Definitely my favorite way to play stuff like Assault Android Cactus, and Enter the Gungeon.
Rodney McKay
(03-29-2017, 06:18 AM)
I've been playing ME:A for about 20 hours now with the Steam Controller. Definitely the longest I've used it for in a game.

If it didn't have the weird button issues I'd be completely sold on it, but it's a crap shoot when it comes to using my powers whether they'll charge correctly or just immediately shoot off, and reloading still usually swaps my gun instead of actually reloading (I set one of the back paddles to R so it would work better.

I managed to get my Bluetooth adapter working on my computer (drivers were all messed up) and got my Dualshock 4 working again, but now I'm used to the Steam Controller it's been hard adjusting back to right stick aiming, but if I can't resolve my button issues with the Steam Controller I think I'll switch back to the DS4. I'm SO much better at using the powers, but I'm missing more often so it's a bit of a catch-22. :/

I could go back to full Mouse/Keyboard mode, but I really hate losing analog stick movement (even though it's not really necessary for thisbgane), maybe it could try mostly all keyboard/mouse but set the analog stick to be a controller analog stick? But then it might have the same problem of flipping between k/m and controller which I think is causing the issue with my buttons and bumpers not registering being held down correctly.
Last edited by Rodney McKay; 03-29-2017 at 06:31 AM.
capylikesgames
(03-29-2017, 07:09 AM)
Cool to hear it somewhat supports gamepad+mouse. Really weird to hear it has issues with it, though. EA games tend to work really well on the Steam Controller, despite being on an entirely different platform. I wonder if they'd ever fix it.
Rodney McKay
(03-29-2017, 08:59 AM)

Originally Posted by capylikesgames

Cool to hear it somewhat supports gamepad+mouse. Really weird to hear it has issues with it, though. EA games tend to work really well on the Steam Controller, despite being on an entirely different platform. I wonder if they'd ever fix it.

Others here don't seem to be having the same issues I'm having, so your mileage may vary.

The "activator" functions of the buttons really helps with mapping multiple functions to he same button. When I was setting up all the key mapping for ME:A. For some reason for keyboard, they didn't seem to allow for holding buttons like the controller does (melee is pressing Y, but holding it is Use on the controller, but on keyboard it's two separate keys), so with the activators I can set pressing Y on the steam controller to "melee" and then set holding the y button to "use".

Last time I really delved into controller configurations I don't think they had activators yet so it was harder to do what I wanted. Some cool stuff I like to do is have opening the menu set to the start button but when I press and hold start I can go directly to the map or inventory or whatever i want.
xeroborn55
(04-02-2017, 03:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

Anyone wanting to try Nier Automata with the Steam Controller, it works pretty damn well - though no mouse dedicated controller with gamepad, and you wouldn't necessarily want that anyway with the way the game works, as actual mouse control isn't handled as well as it should have been.

A simple setup is working for me:

• Mouse-joystick is absolutely brilliant for the third-person camera and aiming. The in-game sensitivity goes super high to the point where it is actually too much, and it lets you control both horizontal and vertical. I would suggest moving the horizontal up 10 notches and the vertical 10 notches (which is already offset by 2 notches less than horizontal). This ends up feel about right for me with the default. There are no weird deadzones, so this works out great vs if it were a mouse. I used the default steam controller sensitivity and only changed the in game settings.
  • There is an auto camera readjust during third person movement. You can switch this off if you want better camera control, but I don't know what is best yet so I reduced it's correction and will test it further
  • For the Shmup sections, you will want to have a traditional right stick since the game isn't set up well enough for anything else. Thankfully, mode switching to the rescue. A and X are set to left and right grips, but I also set the left grip for a quick double tap to switch between analogue stick and mouse-joystick for the right pad. This works our pretty perfectly.

Still pretty early in the game, so I might find that I change some things, but so far I'm pretty happy with it.

I've been using it too for Nier. For some reason it just feels really good in this game to me. I'm using a community profile that is very similar to what you describe.
Pixieking
(04-08-2017, 10:23 AM)
So, anyone got the Steam Controller working comfortably with RPCS3 and Demon's Souls? Any configs floating about, before I start trying to craft something myself? I don't mind messing around with emulators, but creating controller configs is the worst!
sleepnaught
(04-10-2017, 03:55 AM)
Software is straight garbage with this thing. Half the time the overlay doesn't work, bugged out, completely unresponsive, or just crashes, killing functionality of the SC. I would have thought this far into its life span they would've been out of beta with this thing, but I guess not.
Paragon
(04-10-2017, 01:38 PM)

Originally Posted by sleepnaught

Software is straight garbage with this thing. Half the time the overlay doesn't work, bugged out, completely unresponsive, or just crashes, killing functionality of the SC. I would have thought this far into its life span they would've been out of beta with this thing, but I guess not.

I feel like I say this all the time on GAF, but if you're having problems with the overlay process crashing, it's probably an unstable GPU overclock which is causing it.
Once I reduced the overclock of my GPU, that stopped happening.
Nzyme32
(04-10-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Paragon

I feel like I say this all the time on GAF, but if you're having problems with the overlay process crashing, it's probably an unstable GPU overclock which is causing it.

While it is generally stable now, the main issue I have is in specific games using the web browser can eventually end up crashing the overlay and then Steam & Controller. Apart from that the past months have been without issue for me
SomedayTheFire
(04-10-2017, 02:00 PM)
man, I just can't get this to work well with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The buttons just don't line up between what I set up in configuration and in game.
Last edited by SomedayTheFire; 04-10-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Paragon
(04-10-2017, 02:02 PM)

Originally Posted by SomedayTheFire

man, I just can't get this to work well with Deus Ex: Manking Divided. The buttons just don't line up between what I set up in configuration and in game.

Few games have full Steam Controller API integration, where the in-game prompts update to match the config.
Most only have a default profile, or one or two default action sets.

Originally Posted by Nzyme32

While it is generally stable now, the main issue I have is in specific games using the web browser can eventually end up crashing the overlay and then Steam & Controller. Apart from that the past months have been without issue for me

I can't comment on the browser, only that it stopped the overlay randomly crashing 5-10 minutes into playing a game.
Last edited by Paragon; 04-10-2017 at 02:05 PM.
SomedayTheFire
(04-10-2017, 02:06 PM)

Few games have full Steam Controller API integration, where the in-game prompts update to match the config.
Most only have a default profile, or one or two default action sets.

I can't comment on the browser, only that it stopped the overlay randomly crashing 5-10 minutes into playing a game.

I've only messed with it for like 10 minutes, but I think it has full integration.
Echoplx
(04-10-2017, 02:29 PM)

Originally Posted by SomedayTheFire

I've only messed with it for like 10 minutes, but I think it has full integration.

It only has official bindings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamContro...ficial-support
DrSlek
(04-11-2017, 06:17 AM)
I've just bought a controller today. I'm surprised at just how solid it feels. All of the images and footage I saw made it seem quite flimsy. in reality it's anything but.

Are there any recommended community configurations I should look at?
lome88
(04-12-2017, 04:31 AM)
Got the controller today and have been tinkering with configurations and different games I'm familiar with for about the last 4 hours or so. I had read through this thread in the lead up to the purchase and felt pretty confident that I was making a pretty sound purchase.

Boy was I right! The thing is built pretty solidly, the ability to change your configuration on the fly is awesome and the games I've played (Civ V, Dark Souls, Far Cry 4, Witcher 3) all feel really natural with it. That Gyro aiming is making a huge difference for me in something like Far Cry 4.

I have a question though. I sit about 8-10 ft from where my entertainment system is all set up and I'm constantly getting prompts about the connection being weak or the thing disconnects completely. I have a spare USB extension cable lying around but was wondering if others had encountered this?
Zoidberg Jesus
(04-12-2017, 04:52 AM)

Originally Posted by lome88

I have a question though. I sit about 8-10 ft from where my entertainment system is all set up and I'm constantly getting prompts about the connection being weak or the thing disconnects completely. I have a spare USB extension cable lying around but was wondering if others had encountered this?

Have you tried using the included range extender? Plug the USB cable into your computer, the micro USB end into the range extender, then the wireless receiver into the extender.
sleepnaught
(04-12-2017, 05:04 AM)

No overclock set. It happens much more frequently in specific games, GTAV is the worst culprit. Almost unusable when playing that game.
Oreoleo
(04-12-2017, 05:47 AM)

Yeah, my USB dongle has taken permanent residence in one of the front USB ports because I would get that weak connection message if it was plugged in the back and I was sitting on my bed a handful of feet away.
lome88
(04-14-2017, 01:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus

Have you tried using the included range extender? Plug the USB cable into your computer, the micro USB end into the range extender, then the wireless receiver into the extender.

Did that and performance has greatly improved. I guess you just need to have the receiver COMPLETELY unobscured.
Nzyme32
(04-14-2017, 10:59 AM)

Did that and performance has greatly improved. I guess you just need to have the receiver COMPLETELY unobscured.

This isn't always true. In our lounge setup, it seems to be that behind the pc and tv is a bunch of electrical interference effecting the Steam controller dongle. Putting it behind the sub which is further away and still obscuring line of sight, it works flawlessly. So just need to get the right place.
Rodney McKay
(04-16-2017, 07:13 AM)
How stiff are people's shoulder bumpers on the Steam Controller?
I'm curious if other people's controllers have should bumpers as stiff as mine, or if it's just a fluke with my original one and maybe they're better now or if mine is abnormally stiff.

For an example of their stiffness; if I balance the weight of the controller upside-down with one finger on each shoulder bumper, they aren't even close to getting pressed.

Compared to my Xbox One controller I just got for my PC which is a similar weight, doing the same thing actually presses the bumpers with just the weight of the controller. My PS4 controller's bumpers don't quite press with the weight of the controller, but it barely takes any additional force to press them.

After using this controller for several hours on Mass Effect Andromeda before switching to a DS4, I'd love to use it in more games, but because of the bumper stiffness I either need to remap their functions to the rear bumpers (and potentially waste two bindings), or I just end up using another controller.
Paragon
(04-16-2017, 11:43 PM)
The shoulder buttons are quite stiff - much stiffer than a DS4 and presumably 360/XB1 pad too, but not so much that I have difficulty pressing them.
Sophia
(04-16-2017, 11:52 PM)
I don't think they're too stiff. But they're stiffer than the 360/DS4 tho.

I've been experimenting with radical menus and Phantasy Star Online 2. Originally, I had the entire hotbar on a single radical menu, but this was unwieldy. Ten actions made it easy to misclick in the middle of a fight. So my solution was to swap it to two radical menus, with only five actions on each of them. This made it a whole lot easier, because now I don't misclick in the middle of the fight. Every area of the trackpad is well represented.

The reason they're flipped in this image is because I didn't want to rearrange my hotbars to accommodate the setup I wanted, so I put the most used ones on the right touchpad (via left grip). I imagine new players would want it the other way around, to match the in-game layout of the hotbar.
TyrantGuardian
(04-17-2017, 12:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Sophia

I'm pretty happy with how my Path of Exile configuration has turned out so far.

Six of the eight usable skill slots are firmly on the shoulder buttons. The remaining two skill buttons are on the right touchpad button and analog stick button respectively.

For the flasks..

I put them on the analog stick as a radical menu. By making it a mode-shift end, one simply has to flick in the direction of the analog stick to use it, which works fantastically in the middle of combat. Also doesn't take your hand off the mouse/shoulder buttons to use it either.

And then lastly the left touchpad functions as another radical menu, containing the control modifier key for quick selling, as well as functions like opening the inventory and stuff.

URL here if anyone wishes to try it: steam://controllerconfig/238960/888984902

On a related note, I've discovered that radical menus are almost universally more useful then touch menus. I originally had a different setup with the left touchpad as a radical menu/touch menu hybrid, but it didn't work so well. Switching the flasks and stuff around made the setup way more useful.

Eh I suggest making it so you move around with the left analog stick instead. It worked perfectly for me and made the game feel completely fresh.
Sophia
(04-17-2017, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by TyrantGuardian

Eh I suggest making it so you move around with the left analog stick instead. It worked perfectly for me and made the game feel completely fresh.

I've tried that in countless point-and-clock/loot based ARPGs. It never feels natural to me because the games aren't really designed to support it and mouse region is a clunky workaround. I actually did have it set up this way at first, and realized after about 30 hours of gameplay I wasn't using it at all.

Flasks on the analog stick works too well to give it up anyhow.
HungOverOnATues
(04-17-2017, 12:52 AM)
I think the bumpers are too stiff, as are the grip buttons and touch pad buttons. I didn't mind them at first, but I've found them to be unsuitable for certain actions because of their stiffness. I've also been dealing with some sort of arm pain for months now and using these buttons agitates it.