• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Kinyou
(05-24-2016, 08:35 PM)
I didn't even know he's young again

Are Wilson and Steve now both Captain America?
kirblar

Originally Posted by Coriolanus

So it's a variation of Secret Warriors's "Shield Is Actually a Hydra Branch You Guyze" premisse?

Yeah.

It's been done.
SRG01
This makes absolutely no sense. They're going to start #1 by destroying the foundations of his character? What?
SpaceWolf

Originally Posted by Fandangox

#Tonywasright

Excellent recovery, Mr Stank.
hipsterpants
(05-24-2016, 08:36 PM)
wat
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(05-24-2016, 08:37 PM)
Retcons and revelations like this is kind of why I avoid 99% of Marvel/DC comics
Mudcrab

Originally Posted by Kinyou

I didn't even know he's young again

Are Wilson and Steve now both Captain America?

Well if the spoiler is played straight We still only have one Captain America and a Hydra Sleeper agent
The Technomancer
card-carrying scientician

Originally Posted by SRG01

This makes absolutely no sense. They're going to start #1 by destroying the foundations of his character? What?

That also struck me. If I was a new fan hot off of Civil War who wanted to get into Captain America comics that would completely throw me
NastyBook
Either. That shit that make your soul burn slow, or not.

Originally Posted by henhowc

well i guess i should have been on team iron man

HA! #TONYWASRIGHT

Fuck outta here, Fraudgers.
The Silver
meh, nothing to get worked up about, it's a "fake out" or will correct course in due time.
DeathoftheEndless

Originally Posted by HStallion

At this point this major character changing events or world affecting crisis, or whatever are getting so common they are getting generic. Every year its another world destroying threat or a super hero going through some dramatic changes but a lot of it never ends up sticking and a lot of it falls to the wayside. I guess I'm just getting tired for things that are supposed to be epic and change the game when we are getting reboots every couple years and most of this crap doesn't even last in the short term besides that. They just play so fast and loose with this stuff it makes my eyes roll so much I feel like they're going to fall out of my skull.

Welcome to comics.
Adnor

Originally Posted by SocksAndShoes

It's going to be a Red Skull memory implant or some such nonsense.

Yeah, doesn't Red Skull have Prof. X's brain or something like that? It must be that
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(05-24-2016, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Fuu

Obviously an angle and/or something that will turn out alright for those who actually read it, like pretty much every other recent capes megaton by a decent writer.

Pretty much this. Just like anytime Joker comic news is reported. People that don't read that run will freak out, but it will probably be fine in context. At worst, ignored in a few months. A ton of comic revelations sound stupid out of context. This sounds like the stinger at the end of a pulpy TV show. You're supposed to go "WTF?!" and then come back for the next issue to see what's going on.
JDB
There's no way this is real. This is fanfiction tier level of nonsense

Gotta be more to it
WhateverItTakes
The fuckery in comics this week has been exceptional. I love it.
SRG01
(05-24-2016, 08:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Mudcrab

Well if the spoiler is played straight We still only have one Captain America and a Hydra Sleeper agent

Originally Posted by The Technomancer

That also struck me. If I was a new fan hot off of Civil War who wanted to get into Captain America comics that would completely throw me

Well, considering CWII spoilers It would make sense as to why Rogers would be on Captain Marvel's side now

Originally Posted by Adnor

Yeah, doesn't Red Skull have Prof. X's brain or something like that? It must be that

One of the recent comics showed that Red Skull doesn't want to recreate Hydra using his Prof X powers, but rather by dissension and unrest
mreddie
(05-24-2016, 08:39 PM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Retcons and revelations like this is kind of why I avoid 99% of Marvel/DC comics

What happens when the character is 75 years old. And before you say "INDIE BOOKS are superior", they too all fall under dumbass swerves.
SillyNonsense
(05-24-2016, 08:40 PM)

Originally Posted by - J - D -

Steve spent the better part of a century systematically destroying Hydra.

Oh but it was all part of the bigger plan.

lol fuck off.

Yeah that would make zero sense. Not after all this time. I'm sure it's just for the shock value and things will return to normal later. Even if it adds some details to Cap's origin, it will never completely replace the status quo.

Originally Posted by SocksAndShoes

It's going to be a Red Skull memory implant or some such nonsense.

Definitely going to be a bait and switch of some sort. Either way it's just going to be a temporarily plot point to carry some stories for a while.

From that point of view it's a fun development and I'd be happy to see where it leads. However if they're actually trying to be legitimately character-changing then that would be stupid.
Last edited by SillyNonsense; 05-24-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Lashley
Banned
He'll be a triple agent

but I am intrigued.
Scientist Supreme!

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

Pretty much this. Just like anytime Joker comic news is reported. People that don't read that run will freak out, but it will probably be fine in context. At worst, ignored in a few months. A ton of comic revelations sound stupid out of context. This sounds like the stinger at the end of a pulpy TV show. You're supposed to go "WTF?!" and then come back for the next issue to see what's going on.

I was going to write something but it's basically this.
SalvaPot

lol comics.
Bronx-Man
In 16th century Japan, the African slave of a Jesuit priest rises to become a samurai in the service of its most powerful warlord, & faces the challenge of a corrupt general who is scheming to topple the warlord & rule in his place.
Comics have gotten really fucking stupid this week.
Hsieh
(05-24-2016, 08:41 PM)
Stop freaking out, this is an obvious superdickery style fake out.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperDickery
calder
Awesome Овечкин
Овечкин is awesome
(05-24-2016, 08:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Fandangox

#Tonywasright

Loved that scene. The whole issue was brilliant IMO.

I also... really don't like that Cap cover. Looks bad, is it a bad scan or something?
SRG01
(05-24-2016, 08:43 PM)
Hm, I just thought of something: Captain America 2099, who is featured in Spiderman 2099, has dual personalities and her civilian identity is completely unaware of her Captain America personality. It could be the same here, where Steve isn't aware of the other personality.

Or that we're going to get a rehash of Secret Invasion, but with Hydra :(
Sadist
(05-24-2016, 08:43 PM)
#notmycaptainamerica

Man, Sam will be so happy lol.
tkscz
(05-24-2016, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by The Jackdog

this is the spoiler, for those that dont want to search it out

uhhh obvious spoiler warning
On the last page of Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, Steve Rogers says: "Hail Hydra." Apparently, he's been Hydra all along, brought into the organization as a child by his mother.

That's just... that's just dumb. Really really dumb.
Sandfox
I'm curious to see what kind of story Spencer plans on telling with this plot line.

Originally Posted by dareacher

euuu this cant be right.....they litrally cannot rewrite history to this point.....

Is this your first comic?
HStallion

Originally Posted by DeathoftheEndless

Welcome to comics.

Oh I realize this, I have been reading comics since I was a kid nearly 25 years ago and never really stopped even if I slowed in my consumption. However I see the big players trying add better representation, give women better portrayals and so on but I'd love to see the stories advance much the same and it still feels like they're spinning their wheels with these epic cross over events whose influence is barely felt a year later, these asinine character revelations, and all this other gimmicky crap.
Hot Coldman
Sonic's brother and sister are NOT canon
Pretty obvious fakeout.
tolkir
(05-24-2016, 08:46 PM)
Looks like a What if..?
Wheeljack539
(05-24-2016, 08:46 PM)

Originally Posted by The Silver

meh, nothing to get worked up about, it's a "fake out" or will correct course in due time.

Skrull time again?
LordRaptor
(05-24-2016, 08:47 PM)
S.H.I.E.L.D should have offered a better health plan I guess
Mudcrab

Originally Posted by Wheeljack539

Skrull time again?

Secret Invasion 2!
Pepboy

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

Comics are basically soap operas for kids / teens / young adults. Twins and comas and fake outs, etc. Probably the only way to keep things interesting after so long.
NEO0MJ
(05-24-2016, 08:48 PM)
Yes, of course. That makes perfect sense!

Sgt. Kabukiman
(05-24-2016, 08:48 PM)
Yeah, this is a fake-out, there's no way they would (or could) do a retcon this severe. Marvel wants their comic characters to be relatively similar the the movie versions and this reveal would never happen in the MCU. I'm not saying this is a bad comic, it sounds pretty intriguing actually, but they have a backdoor already built into the story I'm sure. It reminds me of what Scott Snyder did several times on Batman. He had all these crazy twists that drove the internet insane until they were all explained away... This is just a PR stunt that Bleeding Cool is blowing up for clicks.
Last edited by Sgt. Kabukiman; 05-24-2016 at 08:56 PM.
maxcriden
(05-24-2016, 08:49 PM)
Panel if anyone wants to see.

http://i.4cdn.org/co/1464118523739.jpg
Sandfox
(05-24-2016, 08:49 PM)

Oh I realize this, I have been reading comics since I was a kid nearly 25 years ago and never really stopped even if I slowed in my consumption. However I see the big players trying add better representation, give women better portrayals and so on but I'd love to see the stories advance much the same and it still feels like they're spinning their wheels with these epic cross over events whose influence is barely felt a year later, these asinine character revelations, and all this other gimmicky crap.

Given how old these characters are things like this are going to happen lol. There's also the fact that next writer will try to do things differently from the last.
Knuckle Sandwich
(05-24-2016, 08:50 PM)

Originally Posted by The Jackdog

this is the spoiler, for those that dont want to search it out

uhhh obvious spoiler warning
On the last page of Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, Steve Rogers says: "Hail Hydra." Apparently, he's been Hydra all along, brought into the organization as a child by his mother.

Captain America written by Vince Russo.
DeathoftheEndless
(05-24-2016, 08:50 PM)

Yeah, that's why I avoid all of the big "event" books. You have to piece the stories together with a bunch of different books and the end result is never worth it.
Alienous
(05-24-2016, 08:53 PM)
Wait, Steve Rogers taking back the Captain America moniker from Falcon was [SOILER]racially motivated[/SOILER]?

How terrible. Just awful. Booo.

EDIT:

Oh wait, that isn't the spoiler?
LegendofDragoonLives
(05-24-2016, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Other than my favorite CB heroes, that's why I can't really get into them long term tbh.

Manga >>>> Comic books
HStallion
(05-24-2016, 08:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Sandfox

Given how old these characters are things like this are going to happen lol. There's also the fact that next writer will try to do things differently from the last.

Again I realize this lol, I've been reading comics from DC and Marvel for over 2 decades. My problem is that while certain aspects seem to be finally growing up others are still in this childish phase that makes some Soap Operas look like mature straight forward storytelling. I just remember this stuff happening years ago and even as a kid I still thought it was dumb but now it seems even more so 20 years later. I'll be honest I'm probably just falling out of love with mainstream super hero stuff as I get into the indie side of comics and stuff like manga.
NOLA_Gaffer
Boy am I glad I don't bother with comics. Characters can't stay dead and can't stay allegiant.

Every six months Marvel and/or DC are rebooting their entire universe because they fucked things up so much.
mreddie

Originally Posted by Knuckle Sandwich

Captain America written by Vince Russo.

I SWEAR TO GOD, it's gonna be a HYDRA AGENT ON A POLE match.
HP_Wuvcraft
I can just hear the Fox News meltdown.
foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(05-24-2016, 08:55 PM)
Wtfffff
Mudcrab
(05-24-2016, 08:56 PM)

Originally Posted by LegendofDragoonLives

Manga >>>> Comic books

Oh I see we've already gotten to everyone's favorite part of OT comicbook threads!

Originally Posted by NOLA_Gaffer

Every six months Marvel and/or DC are rebooting their entire universe because they fucked things up so much.

...and coming in second place.
LordRaptor
(05-24-2016, 08:56 PM)

Originally Posted by HP_Wuvcraft

I can just hear the Fox News meltdown.

More like cheering his political views now align closer to their own