• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Geist-
(05-24-2016, 09:42 PM)
Read the spoiler, this is why I don't stay current with Marvel comics. Smh
iddqd
(05-24-2016, 09:43 PM)
"OK guys we want to bring Steve Rogers back and we need those juicy hashtags and neck beards to rage about it on the internet.. what can we do to make the world mad?"
VanWinkle
(05-24-2016, 09:44 PM)
I'm guessing this is just a short story arc thing, rather than some huge MU changing retcon.
Vic_Viper
(05-24-2016, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Lonestar

About the image:

any idea who the tied up guy is? Looks like Steve himself. Hydra duplicate captured Steve?

No idea but this is the dumbest twist ever. The only way it works is if he's some sort of double agent. This image doesn't tell us anything without context.
ElBoxyBrown
(05-24-2016, 09:45 PM)
I'm reading a lot of overreactions here which is pretty normal for someone new to this.

Originally Posted by GeeTeeCee

Far from making me want to pick up the book, this spoiler actually makes me want to avoid the series until that writer is long gone. Good job.

Dam. First issue to what looks to be a 12 issue story and already you got a verdict? This is Spencer's baby right now which means he might be on the title for a good while.

Originally Posted by Japanmanx3

Pulling Superior Spiderman levels of disrespect...

He's been Red Skull for probably 200 issues he Marvel??? Smh...

Superior Spider-Man ascended Spider-Man. Nobody was ready.
Last edited by ElBoxyBrown; 05-24-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Palette Swap
(05-24-2016, 09:47 PM)
Thanks for being thoughtful about spoilers, Spike, I hate when media spoil my Wednesday.

I haven't clicked anything, and this will be the first book I read tomorrow.
squidyj
I always hated that motherfucker.
Razgriz-Specter

Originally Posted by Coffee Dog

I think people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. This is the end of the first chapter of many with a twist ending to draw the reader in, this will most likely get wrapped up in a few issues. this is what comics do.

Basically
Einchy
(05-24-2016, 09:48 PM)
His new suit and shield are the true disgrace here.
Unspeakable Evil
(05-24-2016, 09:48 PM)
Team Ironman vindicated?
It's a work!
KenzinFive
(05-24-2016, 09:49 PM)
So he's either brain-washed or it's a clone or it's some universe-reboot shenanigans ending in the "real" 616 Steve Rogers coming back.

I'm actually more interested why Sharon Carter suddenly looks like she's in her late 50s. Did I miss something or is that a new development too?
lazygecko
(05-24-2016, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

I'm guessing this is just a short story arc thing, rather than some huge MU changing retcon.

Gotta reset that status quo in time for the next Avengers/Captain America movie so they can be absolutely sure they won't confuse any new casual reader just a little bit.
Sandfox
(05-24-2016, 09:53 PM)

Originally Posted by KenzinFive

So he's either brain-washed or it's a clone or it's some universe-reboot shenanigans ending in the "real" 616 Steve Rogers coming back.

I'm actually more interested why Sharon Carter suddenly looks like she's in her late 50s. Did I miss something or is that a new development too?

She was held prisoner by Zola in another dimension for years in Steve's previous run.
KenzinFive
(05-24-2016, 09:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Sandfox

She was held prisoner by Zola in another dimension for years in Steve's previous run.

Thanks, read up on the Marvel Wiki about it after your post. Man, I don't even know anymore, comics are crazy yo.
ZiZ
that ain't rice
it's bits of Semtex
(05-24-2016, 10:06 PM)
What if... What if Hydra were the good guys all along?
GeeTeeCee
(05-24-2016, 10:09 PM)

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

I'm reading a lot of overreactions here which is pretty normal for someone new to this.

Dam. First issue to what looks to be a 12 issue story and already you got a verdict? This is Spencer's baby right now which means he might be on the title for a good while.

If the writer considers this sort of ridiculous "what a twist!" moment good enough to kick off his run, I can safely expect that the other eleven issues aren't for me.
Mudcrab
(05-24-2016, 10:12 PM)

Originally Posted by ZiZ

What if... What if Hydra were the good guys all along?

They were according to Secret Warriors. Sort of.

Originally Posted by GeeTeeCee

If the writer considers this sort of ridiculous "what a twist!" moment good enough to kick off his run, I can safely expect that the other eleven issues aren't for me.

This man gave us Superior Foes. I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt for an arc or two.
TwEE-N-Toast
(05-24-2016, 10:13 PM)
Sure, why not. As long as it reverts back to normal at some point.
Toothless
(05-24-2016, 10:18 PM)
Why do they stuff like this right around when a movie comes out and people might be picking it up for the first time? Makes no sense to a guy who doesn't read comics.
Lashley
Banned
(05-24-2016, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Toothless

Why do they stuff like this right around when a movie comes out and people might be picking it up for the first time? Makes no sense to a guy who doesn't read comics.

tbf, doesn't make much sense to us comic readers either
Waddle Dee
(05-24-2016, 10:20 PM)

Originally Posted by HStallion

At this point this major character changing events or world affecting crisis, or whatever are getting so common they are getting generic. Every year its another world destroying threat or a super hero going through some dramatic changes but a lot of it never ends up sticking and a lot of it falls to the wayside. I guess I'm just getting tired for things that are supposed to be epic and change the game when we are getting reboots every couple years and most of this crap doesn't even last in the short term besides that. They just play so fast and loose with this stuff it makes my eyes roll so much I feel like they're going to fall out of my skull.

This is why I don't read comics anymore. Just a bunch of shit that's too hard to keep up with.

Every time I hear about a new comic "event", it comes off as one of those ads that says something like "So and so happens. You won't beleive what happens next!"
Mudcrab
(05-24-2016, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Toothless

Probably because this doesn't happen.
KenzinFive
(05-24-2016, 10:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Mudcrab

This man gave us Superior Foes. I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt for an arc or two.

OK, now you have my attention. Superior Foes of Spider-Man was the best thing to come out of the Superior Spider-Man run. Let's see where this goes, even if it isn't a comedy like Superior Foes was.
Sojgat
(05-24-2016, 10:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Einchy

This.
Aureon
Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
(05-24-2016, 10:29 PM)
DC\Marvel twists are nigh always stupid.

The good part of a twist is how you go "Ohhh! it makes sense..." and on a reread, you realize that it was there all along.

When you do shit like that, it's just a retcon. Freeing storywriting from causality is stupid as fuck.

And let's not forget how it'll get counter-twisted in three months, anyway.

I've always wondered... can't they just keep the mask, and change the man under it? It'd atleast makes sense if it's the 6th captain america that he's betrayed the cause all along.. Or the 5th whatever that's a skrull. Change writer, change character, dammit.
The Silver
(05-24-2016, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Aureon

DC\Marvel twists are nigh always stupid.

The good part of a twist is how you go "Ohhh! it makes sense..." and on a reread, you realize that it was there all along.

When you do shit like that, it's just a retcon. Freeing storywriting from causality is stupid as fuck.

And let's not forget how it'll get counter-twisted in three months, anyway.

I've always wondered... can't they just keep the mask, and change the man under it? It'd atleast makes sense if it's the 6th captain america that he's betrayed the cause all along.. Or the 5th whatever that's a skrull. Change writer, change character, dammit.

that kind of twist is practically impossible for superhero comics because of their very nature of having to exist for decades and being handled by various writers. You just have to view each writers take on a character(s) as its own "self contained" thing.

Like Hickman's run through FF, Ultimates, and Avengers can have those kind of twists when just looking at his run but it won't be the case if you look at in the lens of the entire history of FF/Avengers.
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(05-24-2016, 10:44 PM)
Fucking dumbest shit I've read in a while

Smh
The Lone Courier
(05-24-2016, 10:45 PM)
The fuck?
ElFly
(05-24-2016, 10:46 PM)
Man, taking out the helmet wings is the lamest part of the MCU, and now it shat on the comic.

Also....did we ever find out what Nick Fury sayeth.
Sblargh
(05-24-2016, 10:46 PM)
It makes so little sense and the explanation would be so convoluted and idiotic that I am amazed it took them this long to finally try this.
Brinbe
(05-24-2016, 10:47 PM)
What the fuck
That's fucked
Mudcrab

Originally Posted by ElFly

Man, taking out the helmet wings is the lamest part of the MCU, and now it shat on the comic.

lmao no. Who knows if Aaron will even remember that happened by the time his Thor run ends.
Shaanyboi
Gotta love the knee-jerk reactions to this first issue (you know, where all twists happen in an arc, right?)
Obliterator
cousin investments
(05-24-2016, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by The Jackdog

this is the spoiler, for those that dont want to search it out

uhhh obvious spoiler warning
On the last page of Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, Steve Rogers says: "Hail Hydra." Apparently, he's been Hydra all along, brought into the organization as a child by his mother.

This sounds beyond stupid.
Japanmanx3
(05-24-2016, 10:56 PM)

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

Superior Spider-Man ascended Spider-Man. Nobody was ready.

Thoroughly disagree. It was like if Goku stayed in Ginyu's body for the rest of DBZ. I wished Ock could've died. End's of the Earth was a fantastic send off. Superior just wasn't necessary, though I do appreciate some of the advancements made by Ock's tech and before the underwhelming ending he actually started become likable. But whatever. Honestly, I consider everything after One More Day an alternate timeline since they never resolved the Mephisto "forget my identity spell" that will come back as a major storyline in Marvel at some point.
phazedplasma
(05-24-2016, 10:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Shaanyboi

Gotta love the knee-jerk reactions to this first issue (you know, where all twists happen in an arc, right?)

Yeah you can tell who actually reads comics. GAF falling for the hook
Japanmanx3
(05-24-2016, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Einchy

giant_frying_pan
(05-24-2016, 11:01 PM)
Seems like a weak twist. Better would have been, "I'm Canadian!".
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(05-24-2016, 11:01 PM)
Dumb. This is why I don't read the comics. MCU is the only canon version for me.
Dalek
(05-24-2016, 11:06 PM)

Originally Posted by giant_frying_pan

Originally Posted by Replicant

Dumb. This is why I don't read the comics. MCU is the only canon version for me.

How interesting would stories be if every issue was "bad guy shows up, hero stops bad guy". They need to mix things up every now and then to keep it interesting.
nicanica
(05-24-2016, 11:06 PM)
Dude.

What if they DO pull off the Superior Spiderman and he becomes the greatest Hydra Agent ever!?

Then at the end, he goes up to Zemo and is like...I admit YOU are the Superior Hydra Man.
Shaanyboi
(05-24-2016, 11:08 PM)

"I'm... *drumroll* German!"
Manmademan
(05-24-2016, 11:17 PM)
Curious to see how it turns out, but there is absolutely no chance it sticks as sold here.
NastyBook
Either. That shit that make your soul burn slow, or not.
(05-24-2016, 11:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Sandfox

She got Dimension Z'd? Daaaaamn, that sucks.
Squalor
(05-24-2016, 11:23 PM)
Ha, comics.

That's amazing. The kind of retconning this will require if true will be legendarily bad.
TwEE-N-Toast
(05-24-2016, 11:24 PM)

Originally Posted by ElFly

It's only speculation but... https://youtu.be/0hrM2biD7g4?t=7
Sho_Nuff82
(05-24-2016, 11:25 PM)
Skrull.
Parallax
best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
(05-24-2016, 11:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Squalor

Ha, comics.

That's amazing. The kind of retconning this will require if true will be legendarily bad.

Not really. the red skull has been running around unchecked for a minute, and shit just got altered due to the cosmic cube.
ElFly
(05-24-2016, 11:30 PM)

Originally Posted by TwEE-N-Toast

It's only speculation but... https://youtu.be/0hrM2biD7g4?t=7

What didst thou say?!?!?!
SalvaPot
(05-24-2016, 11:30 PM)

Would people be offended by this? Wait, what I am saying, of course they would be offended by this.