obin_gam
(07-13-2016, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by TheLostBigBoss

uhh
what

Again... It's the coke
whatevermort
(07-13-2016, 05:59 PM)
I'll say now as I've said since the day they announced this thing: they're going to fuck it up by making him a nasty, evil clown. That's not the point. The point is that clowns are fucking scary when they're friendly. Simple.
.JayZii
(07-13-2016, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Jarmel

Pennywise put a spell on the sewers essentially making it hard if not impossible to navigate and the kids were freaking out as they realized they probably were going to die down there. She has sex with them as a way of calming them down and helping their concentration.

I think King mentioned later that he shouldn't have done it in hindsight but it's there.

By the end it's pretty mystical, so I remember it as being them needing to retain their connection with each other to ward off the evil influence by doing something drastic, and to also seal their pact to return if the job wasn't finished.

Even in context the way it was handled, at best, barely works. Out of context, it just sounds bizarre and upsetting.
Last edited by .JayZii; 07-13-2016 at 06:02 PM.
zeemumu
(07-13-2016, 06:00 PM)

Originally Posted by TheLostBigBoss

uhh
what

Yeah, it's pretty high up there on the list of "Why did you write something like this?!" moments, along with the dog suit thing from The Shining. That somehow got weirder when it was made into a movie because there's no context behind it so you just see a guy in a dog suit for 5 seconds and you're like "Da fuck?"
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(07-13-2016, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by .JayZii

By the end it's pretty mystical, so I remember it as being them needing to retain their connection with each other by doing something drastic, and to also seal their pact to return if the job wasn't finished.

Yep, there's the whole mystical angle as well where by having sex with her it ties them together as a single unit. It serves as a sort of blood oath thing.
benzy
(07-13-2016, 06:01 PM)
Not as creepy as the OG. Looks like it's trying too hard to have a sinister look.
Lightning Count
(07-13-2016, 06:03 PM)
Give me a Blu-ray of the original series and then we'll talk.

I'm generally against remakes but I am keeping tabs on this.
Epsilon-delta
(07-13-2016, 06:03 PM)

Originally Posted by zeemumu

Yeah, it's pretty high up there on the list of "Why did you write something like this?!" moments, along with the dog suit thing from The Shining. That somehow got weirder when it was made into a movie because there's no context behind it so you just see a guy in a dog suit for 5 seconds and you're like "Da fuck?"

Well, King did admit he was pretty much coked out of mind throughout the 80s.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
(07-13-2016, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by zeemumu

That's not so weird nowadays. King truly is a visionary.
Ralemont
not me
(07-13-2016, 06:08 PM)
judging by the response on the first page it seems pretty legit.
Space A Cobra
Cheesy picture but could be ok. Need to see him in action.
Vault Dweller 111
Still a fucking great book though. That last line stuck with me for awhile after I had finished.
Dai101
(07-13-2016, 06:13 PM)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G9E261ZxIL0
digitalrelic
(07-13-2016, 06:16 PM)
Hate it. Reminds me of that shitty Poltergeist remake:

Hopefully further reveals look better but this is a horrible start.
BigDes
(07-13-2016, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Lonestar

It's just Tim Curry.

That's even worse!
Matty77
(07-13-2016, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by DeathoftheEndless

They probably won't be using the creature from the black lagoon though.

Very true but they can still vary. My biggest hope is while they will still have the MAJOR END SPOILERSspider at the end, they can go bigger and with modern effects and movie budget explore the ritual of chud and the dead lights, so maybe this time people realize it was a lovecraftian other who human minds could only approximate as a spider and not an actual shape changing spider which a lot of people believe, mostly because of the previous adaption in the first place.
Last edited by Matty77; 07-13-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
(07-13-2016, 06:19 PM)
Fukunaga would have done this justice.
Red Liquorice
needs to check himself
They've got big shoes to fill.

Clown shoes
TheLostBigBoss

Originally Posted by Jarmel

Pennywise put a spell on the sewers essentially making it hard if not impossible to navigate and the kids were freaking out as they realized they probably were going to die down there. She has sex with them as a way of calming them down and helping their concentration.

I think King mentioned later that he shouldn't have done it in hindsight but it's there.

XenodudeX
(07-13-2016, 06:20 PM)

The old miniseries did a pretty decent job adapting the material (mostly thanks to Curry's performance), but I just don't know if IT can really be effectively converted into a film. Not just because of the 12 year-old orgy, but because of that languid childhood summertime pacing, mixed with the history of the town, the adults slowly recalling what they are even doing and the slow, underlying atmosphere of dread. Someone might be able to pull it off in one movie, but it seems like a really difficult task.

Who's doing this now? The two-parter directed by the True Detective director fell through, right?

what

edit: Just read that part. What in the fuck
Darth Pinche
(07-13-2016, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by SeanC

Not bad. A little too obvious on being a "scary clown" but we'll see how it looks on screen.

What I loved about the TV Movie version is he's just a regular looking clown make-up and costume-wise, but then he'd give that look...you know the one...

I saw this scene as a kid on tv and it legit made me jump and gave me nightmares for a week! Fucking clowns.
Yautja_Warrior
(07-13-2016, 06:21 PM)
Looks ok, will have to see an actual pic of him in the movie, not just a concept art style shot.

Hopefully they can make the movie creepy, I'm looking forward to it but I'm not going to compare to Tim Curry, because that's just asking for disappointment but it might be decent in its own right.

No point judging things too early, jusy look at Ghostbusters, people went nuts over that and said it was going to be total shite but it actually turned out to be half decent.
EGM1966
(07-13-2016, 06:21 PM)
Making the sinister clown look sinister doesn't actually work IMHO and betrays this version is aware of being a known property.

You have to approach it as though people are seeing it for the first time and have the clown just seem like a harmless clown.

Need to hear the voice. Curry's voice was so right for the part it's gonna be hard to top.

Guess they should be able to improve rest though.
BattleMonkey
(07-13-2016, 06:22 PM)
Yea new one looks like its just trying to be evil. What made Tim's so scary was that it was a normal looking funny clown acting creepy as shit.
KrellRell
(07-13-2016, 06:25 PM)
Scary clowns? Hard to be American Horror Story

.JayZii
(07-13-2016, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by XenodudeX

what

edit: Just read that part. What in the fuck

There's a bit more context on it at the top of this page.

"What in the fuck?" is a reasonable reaction, though.
HStallion
(07-13-2016, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by KrellRell

Is that supposed to be a mask he's wearing or like his actual mouth?
digitalrelic
(07-13-2016, 06:32 PM)

Originally Posted by KrellRell

Scenes with him in that show were extremely ridiculous and stupid. He'd walk up to people in broad daylight and they'd be like "oooh! A clown! Make us laugh! Can I have a balloon?", as if he didn't look like he just crawled out from the depths of hell. What a stupid fucking show.
Matty77
(07-13-2016, 06:34 PM)

Originally Posted by HStallion

Is that supposed to be a mask he's wearing or like his actual mouth?

Mask, what's underneath is worse. Not in a scary fan type way, more of a suicide gone wrong with no hygienic care in healing or upkeep.
IdreamofHIME
(07-13-2016, 06:34 PM)

Originally Posted by strafer

I wonder if they'll bring in Tim for a cameo.

He's been a pretty bad way since his stroke, so I doubt that.
Leatherface
(07-13-2016, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by digitalrelic

Scenes with him in that show were extremely ridiculous and stupid. He'd walk up to people in broad daylight and they'd be like "oooh! A clown! Make us laugh! Can I have a balloon?", as if he didn't look like he just crawled out from the depths of hell. What a stupid fucking show.

LOL so true. I'd be out like the Flash if that fucker walked up on me.
-Plasma Reus-
Service guarantees member status
(07-13-2016, 06:37 PM)
Looks like shite.
ElFly
(07-13-2016, 06:40 PM)

Originally Posted by daviyoung

haha, it gets even easier once you get to the clown's final form

Giant spiders are probably not as scary as a clown, since they may look fake.
freenudemacusers
macuser33of5
(07-13-2016, 06:41 PM)
you guys are weird, assuming much of anything via a single picture on a mass market magazine about a property that everyone already knows involves an evil clown. never mind that save curry's performance the original tv series is kinda garbaggio.
SliceSabre
Catgirls in skimpy clothes aren't sexual, it's their made up MMO culture
(07-13-2016, 06:41 PM)
Shiver went up my spine and my inner child started crying.

I really fucking hate clowns and I blame It for scaring the shit out of me as a kid.

Originally Posted by BokehKing

Oh yeah the hemlock Grove kid

Haven't read this in 20 years, using an audible credit on it

Nope, I'm out.
Hale-XF11
(07-13-2016, 06:43 PM)
Beep beep, Richie!
starchild excalibur
Banned
(07-13-2016, 06:43 PM)
Looks dumb. I feel like what makes Pennywise so sinister aren't the shots where he's snarling, but the ones where he looks almost passable for a real clown in bizarre or surreal contexts and locations.

Really sad Fukunaga's version never got off the ground.

That being said, I'm willing to be proven wrong on this. It's just a teaser image, so there's lots more to see. But my initial impression is that it looks like they're going the route of just a standard clown-starring horror film.
Dash_Riprock
(07-13-2016, 06:44 PM)
Looks thoroughly mediocre. Here's hoping he's at least dressed in silver this time around.
Doc Holliday
SPOILER: Columbus finds America
One of the the things that made Pennywise scary, and maybe clowns in general, is the pedophile feel you get from. This dude is almost too young to give off pedo vibes.
OriginofHysteria

Originally Posted by Mohonky

Tim Curry is brilliant in anything, but yeh, him as Pennywise, it was just perfect.

Agreed. It was just Tim Curry being Tim Curry.
cyba89
(07-13-2016, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by NotTheGuyYouKill

Meh.

Tim Curry Pennywise scared the shit out of me at Age 5. It's scarred in my psyche.

Well. You were five.

Originally Posted by Trash

looks like it'll be trash

Can't be more trash than the first adaption.
Zimbardo
(07-13-2016, 06:51 PM)
that clown is trying so hard to look sinister. does nothing for me.

should at least be better than the original 'It' tv movie, tho. that was pretty bad.
Cormano
(07-13-2016, 06:55 PM)
Good first impression.
HiiiLife
(07-13-2016, 06:56 PM)
Hopefully it's not lame like the original movie.
Zeneric
(07-13-2016, 06:56 PM)
IT is being remade? Sweeet!!
Dalek
(07-13-2016, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by SeanC

For a made-for-TV movie, this is still a very impressive and effective shot.
MaverickHunterX
(07-13-2016, 06:57 PM)
Nice concept. Reminds me of a lot of the new art in the paperback reprints:

By the end it's pretty mystical, so I remember it as being them needing to retain their connection with each other to ward off the evil influence by doing something drastic, and to also seal their pact to return if the job wasn't finished.

Even in context the way it was handled, at best, barely works. Out of context, it just sounds bizarre and upsetting.

Maybe I forget (it has been 15 years since last reading) I thought the whole sex thing was that after defeating penny wise the first time, the kids started to forget the current events (kinda like how all the adult version forgot about Derry in the first place, save for Mike) so they had "sex" so they'd always remember

Then again could be totally off...
Khaliss
Banned
(07-13-2016, 06:58 PM)
Like it!
strafer
Banned
(07-13-2016, 07:00 PM)

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

He's been a pretty bad way since his stroke, so I doubt that.

Didn't know he had a stroke. :(
Drazgul
(07-13-2016, 07:00 PM)

Originally Posted by digitalrelic

How would you react if someone in a stupid costume like that came to you in broad daylight?