• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Chaos2Frozen
Banned
(04-20-2017, 05:35 AM)
I actually saw an art of Lavenza before I got to the revelation but at that time I thought it was just one of the twins with her hair down.

...I thought that was your reward for completing the Strength arcana >_>
Mengetsu
(04-20-2017, 07:02 AM)
Sinful Shell: "A bullet made from the Seven Deadly Sins that can pierce even a god"

This whole scene was hype as fuck and the music...
Last edited by Mengetsu; 04-20-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Sorian
(04-20-2017, 11:01 AM)
Why did we even need the tower confidant?The only true gun skill that was needed was how to look like a fucking boss shooting someone point blank in the head and I already learned that from the justice confidant.
Weiss
(04-20-2017, 01:52 PM)
Time to join the elite Spoilers club.
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(04-20-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Sorian

Why did we even need the tower confidant?The only true gun skill that was needed was how to look like a fucking boss shooting someone point blank in the head and I already learned that from the justice confidant.

Easy treasure demons collection.
LiK
(04-20-2017, 02:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Antiwhippy

Easy treasure demons collection.

Explain.
Holundrian
(04-20-2017, 02:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Mengetsu

Sinful Shell: "A bullet made from the Seven Deadly Sins that can pierce even a god"

This whole scene was hype as fuck and the music...

Really is I've rewatched that part leading up to it a dozen times now https://youtu.be/H7f6oW90Sgk?t=28m10s
Morgana's speech is so well delivered it gives me the chills.

Originally Posted by LiK

Explain.

You get the 100% gun topple skill perk through tower.
galvenize
(04-20-2017, 02:09 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

Explain.

You can down any mob with a gun skill. Making it easier to capture anything.
LiK
(04-20-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by galvenize

You can down any mob with a gun skill. Making it easier to capture anything.

I didn't know that workwed on Treasure Demons. One of them was like immune to everything. Glad I maxed his rank in NG.
QuadOpto
(04-20-2017, 02:12 PM)
Down Shot = Instant Knockdown. For Anything.(Not Boss-related, anyway)

Also people really talk shit about the Gun abilities but Bullet Hail + Electric Slug means pretty much half HP for almost all ambush encounters, which can really save you some grinding time.

The upgrade for Down Shot also makes it only use like close to a 5th of your total bullet count, which, if you have reserve ammo, makes it pretty easy for you to collect demons who don't have an easy to exploit weakness, especially with the final ability (allowing Joker to bypass all gun resistances).

In all honesty Tower S.Link was definitely alot more useful than most other Confidant abilities. People seem to think it's useless cuz guns are useless, but it's basically the thing that makes guns actually useful!
DNAbro
(04-20-2017, 02:30 PM)

Originally Posted by QuadOpto

Down Shot = Instant Knockdown. For Anything.(Not Boss-related, anyway)

Also people really talk shit about the Gun abilities but Bullet Hail + Electric Slug means pretty much half HP for almost all ambush encounters, which can really save you some grinding time.

The upgrade for Down Shot also makes it only use like close to a 5th of your total bullet count, which, if you have reserve ammo, makes it pretty easy for you to collect demons who don't have an easy to exploit weakness, especially with the final ability (allowing Joker to bypass all gun resistances).

In all honesty Tower S.Link was definitely alot more useful than most other Confidant abilities. People seem to think it's useless cuz guns are useless, but it's basically the thing that makes guns actually useful!

His confidant in general was much better than I anticipated. I liked him by the end of it.
LiK
(04-20-2017, 02:38 PM)

Originally Posted by DNAbro

His confidant in general was much better than I anticipated. I liked him by the end of it.

The problem was his English VO. Holy shit it was bad.
Weiss
(04-20-2017, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

The problem was his English VO. Holy shit it was bad.

Isn't it Laharl?
ShadyLurker
(04-20-2017, 11:19 PM)
I asked this in the OT a while back but people said it would make sense later on in the game. Well I've beaten it now and still don't really have a satisfactory one.

Why is everyone so hostile to Akira when you first arrive? You saved a woman and they act like you were causing trouble for no reason. Some people have said that no one knows the full story, that Shido placed all blame on you or something... but after starting a NG+ I see Sojiro says when you first meet: "I get the jist of your situation, you protected some woman from a man forcing himself on her. He got injured then sued you." He goes on to say "that's what you get for sticking your nose in a matter between two adults"

It sounds like Sojiro knows exactly what happened then, so I assume everyone else has the same information. Yet literally everyone thinks you're a delinquent... even women like your teacher think you saving a woman from sexual harassment and possibly worse is you being a troublemaker. I don't understand, I feel like if this exact situation happened in reality, and the powerful politician had ties to escape justice, the average citizen would still be on your side for helping her and acknowledge the politician used his ties to get you punished instead.

At first I just though Sojiro was an awful person, but everyone seems to agree with him.
Delaney
(04-20-2017, 11:29 PM)
MC's parents trusted their son about what really happened, but they were legally forced to sent him away for probation. They chose Sojiro because he was a family friend who they could trust their son. So Sojiro knew what really happened because he had MC's version, but still, he tought that the protagonist made a dumb choice by not minding his own business that night.

Everyone else knows the official version, the one in MC's criminal record. Shido did not just sue the protagonist, but also paid the woman he was trying to abuse to turn the blame on the protagonist. No one knew Shido, the politician, was involved in the incident because his name didn't figure in any document. So for example, your teacher doesn't know that you actually prevented a woman to be raped that night, she thinks that you caused a fight with a woman at night and also injured another citizen. For me, everything made sense when the full flashback with Shido that night is shown.
Shouta
(ノ`Дยด)ノ彡┻━┻
(04-20-2017, 11:46 PM)

Originally Posted by ShadyLurker

I asked this in the OT a while back but people said it would make sense later on in the game. Well I've beaten it now and still don't really have a satisfactory one.

Why is everyone so hostile to Akira when you first arrive? You saved a woman and they act like you were causing trouble for no reason. Some people have said that no one knows the full story, that Shido placed all blame on you or something... but after starting a NG+ I see Sojiro says when you first meet: "I get the jist of your situation, you protected some woman from a man forcing himself on her. He got injured then sued you." He goes on to say "that's what you get for sticking your nose in a matter between two adults"

It sounds like Sojiro knows exactly what happened then, so I assume everyone else has the same information. Yet literally everyone thinks you're a delinquent... even women like your teacher think you saving a woman from sexual harassment and possibly worse is you being a troublemaker. I don't understand, I feel like if this exact situation happened in reality, and the powerful politician had ties to escape justice, the average citizen would still be on your side for helping her and acknowledge the politician used his ties to get you punished instead.

At first I just though Sojiro was an awful person, but everyone seems to agree with him.

It's a slight mistranslation. Sojiro is supposed to tell Joker the version of the story that made it into the police record and/or was misreported because of Shido's meddling, IMO. The EN version uses "forced himself on her" but the JP version is closer to making the moves/hitting on her. That's why Sojiro says the line that follows it about adult matters. He thinks you stuck your head in on a dude picking a woman up. Everyone else treats you poorly because of the misreporting or because they were just told you were a violent delinquent.
Chaos17
Banned
(04-20-2017, 11:53 PM)
Edit: nevermind what mod said just make a total sense.
ShadyLurker
(04-21-2017, 12:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Delaney

MC's parents trusted their son about what really happened, but they were legally forced to sent him away for probation. They chose Sojiro because he was a family friend who they could trust their son. So Sojiro knew what really happened because he had MC's version, but still, he tought that the protagonist made a dumb choice by not minding his own business that night.

Everyone else knows the official version, the one in MC's criminal record. Shido did not just sue the protagonist, but also paid the woman he was trying to abuse to turn the blame on the protagonist. No one knew Shido, the politician, was involved in the incident because his name didn't figure in any document. So for example, your teacher doesn't know that you actually prevented a woman to be raped that night, she thinks that you caused a fight with a woman at night and also injured another citizen. For me, everything made sense when the full flashback with Shido that night is shown.

That would have all made sense, except Sojiro is portrayed as a pretty caring person on the inside. He can be a bit harsh sometimes but I still feel like he wouldn't be so dismissive of saving the woman. But your explanation plus the one below makes sense.

Originally Posted by Shouta

It's a slight mistranslation. Sojiro is supposed to tell Joker the version of the story that made it into the police record and/or was misreported because of Shido's meddling, IMO. The EN version uses "forced himself on her" but the JP version is closer to making the moves/hitting on her. That's why Sojiro says the line that follows it about adult matters. He thinks you stuck your head in on a dude picking a woman up. Everyone else treats you poorly because of the misreporting or because they were just told you were a violent delinquent.

Thank you, this was the answer I was really looking for. That one conversation kinda threw me off. I didn't think everyone could be so cold... I even was starting to consider that it was an early distortion of people's hearts. Like the adults are always right according to Sojiro's line. Like even harassers shouldn't be bothered by kids.
Gestahl
(04-21-2017, 12:53 AM)

This is mostly right, but Sojiro is more a friend of a friend of the family.

The Japanese text is more "protected/stuck up for a woman who was being hit on/hounded by a man," which, while still sympathetic to Joker, doesn't accurately express the severity of the situation from the dream sequence or the following explanation after dungeon 2. What's most likely the case (since the woman's testimony against him would have rendered his own defense as the lying ravings of a violent child trying to shirk his responsibility from his own actions in any legal proceedings or reporting) is that either Joker himself wasn't entirely sure of the situation and didn't go as far as he could have in his descriptions of events, or more likely while his parents believed him they also thought he was exaggerating to some extent and by the time it reached Sojiro's ear (potentially Joker > Parents > Patron > Sojiro) the story became significantly dumbed down from what actually happened.
Chaos2Frozen
Banned
(04-21-2017, 02:07 AM)
Who are you going to believe? The police report or the words of a filthy violent criminal who assaulted a helpless Politician? There is even an eye witness report! Open and shut case Johnson!
Inquisitive_Ghost
(04-21-2017, 02:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen

Who are you going to believe? The police report or the words of a filthy violent criminal who assaulted a helpless Politician? There is even an eye witness report! Open and shut case Johnson!

Pretty much. It's not like the kids at school know the details. They just know he was arrested for assault and is at risk of going to juvie.
True Fire
(04-21-2017, 02:10 AM)
I remember people making a fuss over Igor's shitty voice for months and months. I'm still shook over the meta bait and switch they pulled.
SomethingWitty
(04-21-2017, 02:36 AM)

Originally Posted by True Fire

I remember people making a fuss over Igor's shitty voice for months and months. I'm still shook over the meta bait and switch they pulled.

Yeah, the twist was really great. It's incredible to know that even the seemingly omnipotent and omnipresent Igor is vulnerable at times.

However, while I enjoyed the twist, I still wish they got Igor's original VA back when the real Igor is revealed.
Chaos2Frozen
Banned
(04-21-2017, 02:39 AM)
Lol the funny thing to me when the real Igor came back- I didn't find him any less suspicious looking ^^;
Ulong
(04-21-2017, 02:41 AM)
My friend and I were calling him fake igor all game, not knowing how right we were.
Thud
(04-21-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by SomethingWitty

Yeah, the twist was really great. It's incredible to know that even the seemingly omnipotent and omnipresent Igor is vulnerable at times.

However, while I enjoyed the twist, I still wish they got Igor's original VA back when the real Igor is revealed.

Didn't they reuse the old lines in English?
Gestahl
(04-21-2017, 02:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Thud

Didn't they reuse the old lines in English?

I haven't played the English version, but I think they used the other Igor VA from the Arena games or whatever. It's not the English original at any rate.
Inquisitive_Ghost
(04-21-2017, 02:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Ulong

My friend and I were calling him fake igor all game, not knowing how right we were.

That's fantastic. Did you both flip out when it turned out you were right?
Ulong
(04-21-2017, 02:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Inquisitive_Ghost

That's fantastic. Did you both flip out when it turned out you were right?

We were pretty excited
Iva Demilcol
(04-21-2017, 03:29 AM)
Satanael appearing made the final battle feel like the final battle of Bayonetta + Dragon Ball Z combined. It was corny and yet awesome.
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(04-21-2017, 03:55 AM)
Though really what kind of probation forces you to move towns?
EscapeArtist
(04-21-2017, 04:05 AM)

Originally Posted by SomethingWitty

I'm pretty sure the original Igor voice actor died a few years ago?
FluxWaveZ
(04-21-2017, 04:07 AM)

Originally Posted by EscapeArtist

I'm pretty sure the original Igor voice actor died a few years ago?

The English VA, I believe they're talking about.
Delaney
(04-21-2017, 11:47 AM)
I think it would have been a good opportunity to send Igor off. During the final streches of the game I actually tought that Lavenza would become the new master of the Velvet Room alongside Morgana.

I love how Morgana's design is pretty in your face about him being a Velvet Room attendant yet nobody made the connection. The blue in his eyes and the yellow scarf uses the same colors as all the other attendants.
Dantis
(04-21-2017, 12:05 PM)

I think it would have been a good opportunity to send Igor off. During the final streches of the game I actually tought that Lavenza would become the new master of the Velvet Room alongside Morgana.

I love how Morgana's design is pretty in your face about him being a Velvet Room attendant yet nobody made the connection. The blue in his eyes and the yellow scarf uses the same colors as all the other attendants.

Eh? Velvet room attendents have yellow eyes.

I don't think there's anything that even slightly suggests a Velvet Room connection.
Chaos2Frozen
Banned
(04-21-2017, 12:35 PM)
In the flashback he was shown with yellow eyes and if you REEEEAAAALLLLLYYYYYY push it, you could say his fur is a darkest shade of navy blue.....

But I honestly can't think of anything that hinted at him being a velvet room attendant. They were definitely playing with our expectations of Teddy.
Delaney
(04-21-2017, 12:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Dantis

Eh? Velvet room attendents have yellow eyes.

I don't think there's anything that even slightly suggests a Velvet Room connection.

Morgana uses the Velvet Room attendant colors in reverse, blue for the eyes and yellow for the cloth. Also, only the Velvet Room attendants use this color combination for their design, I think.

I think his name might also be related to Mary Shelley's work just like Lavenza, Theodore and the rest. In her novel Valpergia, the character Beatrice reads some fragments from the arthurian legend. And this character was modeled after Joanna Southcloth, an english priestess who claimed to be pregnant with the second coming of God, which ties well into the last portion of the game with the whole Holy Grail, God and December 25th symbology. But this is an absolute reach, the mental gymnastics to make this explanation work are too much lol
LiK
(04-21-2017, 02:33 PM)
I had absolutely no sympathy for Goro during the final confrontation. They tried to make the characters care but he already killed a lot of people for selfish reasons. I was still choosing the nice options in my blind run cuz I thought it might've affected the ending. I'm gonna be the meanest mofo to him in NG+.
Zafir
(04-21-2017, 02:39 PM)
I kind of felt sorry for him. He had a really shitty life and it just ate away at him, causing him to become what he did.

However I think his arc was really rushed. The climax in dungeon 7 was just weird, since he does a really quick 180 turn.

In general I kind of think they packed too much story into November and December. I think it could have used another month to spread everything out. Fix some of the issues with Akechi and Haru.
LiK
(04-21-2017, 02:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Zafir

I kind of felt sorry for him. He had a really shitty life and it just ate away at him, causing him to become what he did.

However I think his arc was really rushed. The climax in dungeon 7 was just weird, since he does a really quick 180 turn.

In general I kind of think they packed too much story into November and December. I think it could have used another month to spread everything out. Fix some of the issues with Akechi and Haru.

I think they did a better job with Adachi in P4G cuz that actually surprised me. If they had a similar build up, it would've made me more sympathetic. I agree that it felt rushed.
Zafir
(04-21-2017, 02:54 PM)

Originally Posted by LiK

I think they did a better job with Adachi in P4G cuz that actually surprised me. If they had a similar build up, it would've made me more sympathetic. I agree that it felt rushed.

Heh. As someone who hasn't played much of Golden, I can't say I felt particularly sympathetic towards Adachi in the original. That was done even worse than Akechi. It's nice to know that they fixed it though, it gives hope for if they do a re-release of 5.

I think there's quite a few ares in which they could improve on a re-release.
LiK
(04-21-2017, 02:56 PM)

Heh. As someone who hasn't played much of Golden, I can't say I felt particularly sympathetic towards Adachi in the original. That was done even worse than Akechi. It's nice to know that they fixed it though, it gives hope for if they do a re-release of 5.

I think there's quite a few ares in which they could improve on a re-release.

Yea, there was one scene where they even changed his Arcana with a cool effect. Really neat. you should totally check out Golden when you have time. The additional content is quite good.
daveo42
(04-21-2017, 06:36 PM)
Not 100% done (2/13), but the implementation of the social links at the end of the game is by far the best. Not just power-ups against a true boss, but people actually doing shit to save you from your unjust fate.
Thud
(04-21-2017, 06:38 PM)
I liked Akechi best when his suit got destroyed. Priceless face.
YoRHa No.2 Type B
(04-21-2017, 06:39 PM)
Was Shiho ACTUALLY raped?

Or was she "just" abused?

If yes, is she the only character in the game who got raped or are there more?
Setsu00
(04-21-2017, 06:41 PM)

Originally Posted by YoRHa No.2 Type B

It's never elaborated on, but it's implied that Shiho was raped on that one day before she jumped from the roof.
LiK
(04-21-2017, 06:41 PM)

Sexually harrassed is the word they used. I don't believe he actually raped them as in having sex. Probably groped them etc.
Zafir
(04-21-2017, 06:45 PM)

They really beat around the bush with what happened.

I interpreted it as her getting raped, after all, Ann had just turned him down. Not to mention, she jumps the day after.

That said, it's never mentioned at all what actually happened. All that's mentioned is sexual harassment.

I think they chickened out a bit, honestly.
FluxWaveZ
(04-21-2017, 06:49 PM)

What would be the benefit of elucidating on this point?
LiK
(04-21-2017, 06:50 PM)

They really beat around the bush with what happened.

I interpreted it as her getting raped, after all, Ann had just turned him down. Not to mention, she jumps the day after.

That said, it's never mentioned at all what actually happened. All that's mentioned is sexual harassment.

Yep, totally.