• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Keyser Soze
(10-01-2016, 12:02 PM)

--- Hard hitting questions answered
Will UK bought Microsoft Credit work on my Spanish/Finnish/Danish/ect Xbox Live Account
Unlike when they used Points Cards in previous years (800, 1200 Points), the credit you buy on cards now will be in actual currency (£20, £50 for example), and will not add money to your Microsoft Account which has a different currency.

Will UK bought PSN Credit work on my Spanish/Finnish/Danish/ect PSN Account
No, the credit you buy will be in actual currency (£20, £50 for example), and will not add money to your PSN Wallet which has a different currency. Sony has always done things this way

I want my games quick dammit! I don’t mind paying a bit more. I want it now! Gimmie!
Amazon is well known for shipping games very quick when you pay standard postage. It will cost more, but do that, and your game will arrive very soon, even outside the UK. ShopTo can be good with preorders within the UK, with some people getting items a day or two early.

I am not from the UK. Tell me what sites hate me
Many UK based sites refuse to ship outside the UK. Supermarkets with an online presence are the biggest offenders. Tesco Online. Best Buy, Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrision's and more are all not your friend. Argos, John Lewis, PC World, Currys. Not good either

I fear that my game will be broken when it comes. What site is best if I have brokegameaphobia?
Amazon is well known to have great customer service. They are usually happy to help you with your problems unless you are very unlucky. Zavvi notably less so, they have been known to ignore people, and make them wait a long time for replies on some occasions. Other sites are somewhere in the middle, or completely unknown.

Why will you not let me post links to ShopTo you twat. They have good deals too you know?
In 2008, ShopTo had some problems that led to some of their customer's credit card details leaking out. This was never proven, but some people, including some Gaffer's had credit card problems around the time of the supposed leak, and swear ShopTo were the cause – some of these people had credit cards ONLY used on that site. ShopTo quickly fixed the flaw, and allowed PayPal to be used to make things even safer, but it was too late, and the site’s url got banned from NeoGAF. ShopTo deals are still posted at times, but without a link. It seems no one has had any big problems with the site recently, and ShopTo can now, more or less, be considered safe to buy from, you just have to navigate there yourself.

I have heard some people say bad things about The Game Collection & GAME's sites, tell me why would they say that?
Both these sites have had more than a few occurrences of sending out used 'rewrapped' games listed as "New" on their website to customers. This is not a regular occurrence, but it has happened enough for people to speak up about it on GAF and elsewhere. Sometimes the low cost of the game can justify this tampering, but this practice be extra annoying if certain leaflets (e.g. Club Nintendo points) are missing from you "New" game

Give me some things to click on relevent to my interests
The REALLY REALLY Old Old Thread (2007 - 2010)
The REALLY Old Thread (2010 - 2012)
The Slightly Older Thread (2012- 2014)
The Old Thread (2014- 2016)
XE Currency Converter
InvisibleHand Add-On Extension
CamelCamelCamel Add-On Extension
A Lovely Cheese Blintzes Recipe
Ladder Match!!!!

Hello, it's me
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet

BEES?!?
Beads!?!

Join the conversation
#DontTrustTheBunny

--- Like us, but different
Find-Games
Pro: A searchable database of the current prices of games in many of the big UK online store
Con: No updating list. Best used if you NEED a game RIGHT NOW, and just want to check the current best price

SavyGamer
Pro: Offers a great selection of curated deals that pop up each day
Con: Elves?

Idealo
Pro: A mostly comprehensive site for price comparisons of various products (including games) with a good search utlilty
Con: Missing some online retailers. Can be a somewhat difficult to navigate. Main page rarely devoted to games

HotUKDeals Gaming
Pro: It is a site made for bargain hunters, with posts made by similarly minded people. Loads of good deals pop up here
Con: It has so many people, posting so much stuff, that you could easily miss deals. Some of the better deals could sell out quick too.

Cheap Ass Gamer (Euro Stream)
Pro: Fantastic site, with the mindset of finding cheap games and deals for people
Con: It's UK/Euro arm is not nearly as active as the US one, so some deals are missed

Appshopper
Pro: Fantastic searchable database that lists all the price drops and rises' of iOS Apps
Con: The sites content is based on the US App Store, and sometimes there are EU only sales it does not highlight
Last edited by Keyser Soze; 10-01-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Volotaire
(10-01-2016, 12:06 PM)
Great OP, great title. Hope this thread has some cracking deals.
Succinct Verbosity
(10-01-2016, 12:08 PM)
Just in time for the build up to Christmas.
Acquiescence
(10-01-2016, 12:09 PM)
Looks like I've claimed post catorce.
Eolz
(10-01-2016, 12:09 PM)
End of an era (when they actually activate article 50).
Time for new deals!
Masterspeed
(10-01-2016, 12:11 PM)
Nice thread we've got going here.

I'm pretty happy I got Quantam Break for Steam for 20.99 instead of Steams 29.99. That £9 makes a difference.
YianGaruga
Banned
(10-01-2016, 12:11 PM)
looking forward to further depreciation of the GBP
Itchy//Tasty
(10-01-2016, 12:12 PM)
Sorry if it's been asked, but any amazing deals on PS Move controllers? Trying to get all my shit in place for VR in a few weeks.
YianGaruga
Banned
(10-01-2016, 12:14 PM)
I would add http://www.idealo.co.uk/ to the OP, I find it much more useful than find-game or other alternatives for comparing prices.

It doesn't list some stores, like shoppe two, but generally it's pretty comprehensive
Tizoc
(10-01-2016, 12:14 PM)
...aaaaaaaaaaaaand subscribed!
Last I checked base.com has a sale on PS4 and various other games.
Check their PS4 and 3DS pages regularly for pre-order with some decent discounts.
Masterspeed
(10-01-2016, 12:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Itchy//Tasty

Sorry if it's been asked, but any amazing deals on PS Move controllers? Trying to get all my shit in place for VR in a few weeks.

Your best bet is popping into a local CEX. I don't know if they prices have gone up, but I saw them for about £15
NewDust
(10-01-2016, 12:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze

snip

Perhaps you can add to the Zavvi paragraph, that for mainland Europe it's also really variable as to whether or not you have to pay import taxes. Usually they refund taxes in credit for the store, but that's still a hassle.
Broken Joystick
(10-01-2016, 12:17 PM)
Great title. Here's hoping for some great deals this Christmas. (And NX pre-orders!)
Keyser Soze
(10-01-2016, 12:24 PM)

Originally Posted by YianGaruga

I would add http://www.idealo.co.uk/ to the OP, I find it much more useful than find-game or other alternatives for comparing prices.

It doesn't list some stores, like shoppe two, but generally it's pretty comprehensive

Done! It is a good site. Thanks for reminder.

Originally Posted by NewDust

Perhaps you can add to the Zavvi paragraph, that for mainland Europe it's also really variable as to whether or not you have to pay import taxes. Usually they refund taxes in credit for the store, but that's still a hassle.

Can you give some more information of this. I have no personal experience with this happening. What is the approx charge people are hit with?
YianGaruga
Banned
(10-01-2016, 12:28 PM)

Can you give some more information of this. I have no personal experience with this happening. What is the approx charge people are hit with?

In the past there always was a risk that zavvi ships from the Channel Islands / Jersey instead of mainland UK, so packages would be subject to ~20% import tax + fees depending on country. I was never hit with it myself so I don't know how prevalent it is. Also zavvi doesn't have good prices anymore anyway :p
Tizoc
(10-01-2016, 12:32 PM)
365games has 7th Dragon 3DS and SMT4 Apoc 3DS for preorder for under GBP 30. I recall a GAFfer mentioned this in the last thread so I'm just bringing it up here for those unaware.
Eolz
(10-01-2016, 12:32 PM)

A good thing with idealo is that they have regional websites too. Can be useful to do the same thing with french stores, german stores, etc.
Spaced Harrier
(10-01-2016, 12:34 PM)
Finally a new thread.

The other one was so long it was taking me ages to catch up and read every post.
Sidewinder
(10-01-2016, 12:34 PM)
Great title! Hope we'll get some real deals on some wheels.
NewDust
(10-01-2016, 12:38 PM)

I'm trying to refind the source, but from memory, a few months ago, on the dutch budgetgaming board users where hit left and right with taxes, because some packages where either send outside the E.U. or there was some lapse in the customs law between EU and channel islands. Might also be a customs fuck up of course. used to be 21% vat over goods and shipping + customs fee. Can't find the sources and nothing recently is reported, so maybe the issue no longer exist.

I hardly use zavvi now, as their prices suck recently. And the things I order, are beneath the taxable minimum.
Last edited by NewDust; 10-01-2016 at 12:40 PM.
LAM09
(10-01-2016, 12:41 PM)
New thread at last. Hope some great deals come our way prior to Christmas.
Keyser Soze
(10-01-2016, 12:46 PM)

In the past there always was a risk that zavvi ships from the Channel Islands / Jersey instead of mainland UK, so packages would be subject to ~20% import tax + fees depending on country. I was never hit with it myself so I don't know how prevalent it is. Also zavvi doesn't have good prices anymore anyway :p

Originally Posted by NewDust

I'm trying to refind the source, but from memory, a few months ago, on the dutch budgetgaming board users where hit left and right with taxes, because some packages where either send outside the E.U. or there was some lapse in the customs law between EU and channel islands. Might also be a customs fuck up of course. used to be 21% vat over goods and shipping + customs fee. Can't find the sources and nothing recently is reported, so maybe the issue no longer exist.

I hardly use zavvi now, as their prices suck recently. And the things I order, are beneath the taxable minimum.

Actually, now I think about it, a lot of Zavvi's recent deals are almost all Blu Ray. Not games. Personally that's all I bought from them this year anyway. I might as well just remove the OP mention completely. That OP quote is just a holdover from the previous thread.

edit - It's gone (I never liked them much anyway, even if they did mistakenly send a few of us a free Vita once)
Last edited by Keyser Soze; 10-01-2016 at 12:51 PM.
MQX
(10-01-2016, 12:54 PM)
New thread? Subscribed.

Also. I have a question about Simply Games. Don't know if there are members here that have used Simply Games before, but live in Europe. Is the shipping (rates) more the same as Zavvi? Or the same as TGC/Amazon?

I've seen some great deals from Simply Games in the past. But Simply Games is not a familiar place for me when I put it next to Zavvi and Amazon.
Saoshyant
(10-01-2016, 01:00 PM)

Originally Posted by MQX

Also. I have a question about Simply Games. Don't know if there are members here that have used Simply Games before, but live in Europe. Is the shipping (rates) more the same as Zavvi? Or the same as TGC/Amazon?

£2.50 for shipping one item last I used them.
daxy
(10-01-2016, 01:03 PM)
Deals, deals, deals!

Pepper.com is pretty legit for local offers.

DutchGAF: Gamemania has a pretty sweet deal going for Wii, DS, and PSP games. 15 euros for three used games that aren't priced higher than 15 (used).
Weskerlover
(10-01-2016, 01:08 PM)
Love the new title =)
MQX
(10-01-2016, 01:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Saoshyant

£2.50 for shipping one item last I used them.

And have you received the game/item 1-2 week after it got shipped like Amazon/TGC? Or 2-4 weeks like Zavvi?

Also, thanks for answering my question :).
Zatoth
(10-01-2016, 01:13 PM)
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Special Edition for £30 @TGC

http://www.thegamecollection.net/unc...ition-ps4.html
Itchy//Tasty
(10-01-2016, 01:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Masterspeed

Your best bet is popping into a local CEX. I don't know if they prices have gone up, but I saw them for about £15

Sounds good, I'll pop into the Guildford one this week for a look.
AHA-Lambda
(10-01-2016, 01:14 PM)
Good title

;_;

RiggyRob
(10-01-2016, 01:20 PM)
Great title.

You could also add what the best way to buy US PSN and cheap PS+ is to the OP since I know that gets asked a fair bit.
Saoshyant
(10-01-2016, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by MQX

And have you received the game/item 1-2 week after it got shipped like Amazon/TGC? Or 2-4 weeks like Zavvi?

Maybe two weeks tops, don't remember, but don't think it took too long or I'd have remembered. We only remember the bad things after all. It's a human trait.

Speaking of, the one complaint I have about Simply was when I tried to ship to the UK to my mule* instead of directly to me -- they put a lock on my order demanding all sorts of identification and I was like WTF.

*a "mule"? Yeah, I'm an addict and to buy a million game things on ebay and UK retailers, I have most of it sent to a friend who then puts it all in one or two big boxes saving me immensely on shipping. If you need to do this sort of thing though you are an addict and you should be ashamed... Don't end up like me.
Last edited by Saoshyant; 10-01-2016 at 01:49 PM.
NateDog
(10-01-2016, 02:19 PM)
Delicious thread, solid work OP.
LewieP
(10-01-2016, 02:21 PM)
In regards to the OP, yes SavyGamer is just me for the most part, but I do occasionally get support from one of my elves.

Deals aren't "missed" though, that's just my patented curatative method in action.
PtM
(10-01-2016, 02:40 PM)
That subtitle...
Pancakes R Us
(10-01-2016, 02:57 PM)

Originally Posted by PtM

That subtitle...

Agreed.

teddymeow
(10-01-2016, 03:01 PM)
My local HMV had Starfox Zero for £14.99 and Street Fighter V for £17.99 today.
FantasticMrSnake
(10-01-2016, 03:16 PM)

looking forward to further depreciation of the GBP

=( some of us has to eat

Originally Posted by Itchy//Tasty

I got mines from game.co.uk, I just refreshed their page once a day until one day they had stock, and order 2 for £10 =) (used of course)
If not cex got them at ~£8 each some time ago
Last edited by FantasticMrSnake; 10-01-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Rellik
(10-01-2016, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Pancakes R Us

Agreed.

I actually read that in his voice.
Intel_89
(10-01-2016, 03:22 PM)
Subscribed, here to share new deals and stick it to the corporate bunny.
MikeHattsu
(10-01-2016, 03:26 PM)
Subbed!
SomTervo
(10-01-2016, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Acquiescence

Post fourteen?

YES to thread

PS wrt "paying more to get games early", it's worth adding to OP that you can often order Tuesday release games from SimplyGames.com on the Thursday/Friday before and ask for "Special Saturday delivery" and get them on Saturday. It costs £20 more but I've done it twice and it is great getting a whole Saturday night to play.
Last edited by SomTervo; 10-01-2016 at 03:30 PM.
GAMEPROFF
(10-01-2016, 03:36 PM)
Subbed!
Garrett Hawke
(10-01-2016, 03:44 PM)

Originally Posted by SomTervo

Post fourteen?

YES to thread

PS wrt "paying more to get games early", it's worth adding to OP that you can often order Tuesday release games from SimplyGames.com on the Thursday/Friday before and ask for "Special Saturday delivery" and get them on Saturday. It costs £20 more but I've done it twice and it is great getting a whole Saturday night to play.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.
Rikkun
(10-01-2016, 03:45 PM)
Subbed
Looking forward to a million of posts regarding UK deals not shipped to mainland EU
NewDust
(10-01-2016, 03:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

I don't know what kind of thread you think this. The people here want to have the game as soon as possible, no matter what the cost is... Right?

Originally Posted by TheMoon

someone needs to freshen up their French skills :D

someone needs to freshen up their French and Spanish skills :D (it's still wrong though)
Last edited by NewDust; 10-01-2016 at 04:00 PM.
TheMoon
(10-01-2016, 03:54 PM)

Acquiescence
(10-01-2016, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by SomTervo

Post fourteen?

YES to thread

Originally Posted by TheMoon

The thread title is a reference to a U2 song. U2 wrote another song called Vertigo. Go listen to the intro of Vertigo.
TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared
(10-01-2016, 04:05 PM)
Irish gaf for what its worth, tesco is selling all games for €10 each. Don't know how much is left now, but it might be worth popping in.
TheMoon
(10-01-2016, 04:06 PM)

The thread title is a reference to a U2 song. U2 wrote another song called Vertigo. Go listen to the intro of Vertigo.

Oh that's how you spell it in Spanish, huh. It still means fourteen, though, just like in French. :D