Welcome to NeoGAF’s seventh annual video game soundtracks of the year thread! This thread will serve to create a common point of reference for NeoGAF’s favourite game soundtracks in 2016, place a spotlight on the industry’s musical talent and expose people to great video game music that they haven’t heard before. It will also host a (hopefully) comprehensive archive of the year’s game music and other related information.
For your vote, select your three favourite game soundtracks of the year and rank them in the order of your preference. Your first pick will receive 3 points, your second pick will receive 2 points, and your third pick will receive 1 point. Your Honourable Mentions will not count for any points, but will still be tallied accordingly.
Please list at least 1-2 tracks you feel are your favourites from each soundtrack you vote for, as it will make the process of building the Archive much easier.
The LTTP Soundtrack Vote returns because it is always fun to look back at the past. These LTTP votes will not count for points, but if there is a soundtrack that gets a considerable number of votes, I will make mention of it/them in the results. The LTTP vote is purely for fun so it is optional, but please bear in mind that you may only mention one soundtrack for this option.
Super Edit: Please note: if you post more than 3 soundtracks, every soundtrack from 4-onwards counts as an honourable mention in your vote tally.
Code:Sample Ballot 1. Game A (Will receive 3 points) 2. Game B (Will receive 2 points) 3. Game C (Will receive 1 point) Honourable Mentions (if any) LTTP vote (if any)
I've counted up to Page 3 on 100 ppp, so a few things:
1) Wow, I'm happy that the turnout is so good this year! I don't remember having to count this many votes before... if I did, that was probably when I just took over these threads. It's a genuine surprise, and I hope folks stick around for the 7th gen vote whenever AniHawk makes that happen and I make the companion thread for it.
2) Some of you are, uh, voting twice. It's only a handful but what I'm doing in this case is I'm using your second vote instead of your first. Please double check if you have voted twice and you're sure your second ballot is the one you want to stick with. Just let me know if you've changed anything.
3) Some folks have incomplete lists (ie: "I'm posting this part but I'll write the rest of the list later", etc) and since I don't really have time to go after everyone who has an incomplete list, I'm just counting what you have.
4) I'm being a pretty generous if you're not following the sample ballot format, but writing something only like "Massive Toasters XVI: The thread" or "heckin flashlight action - I liked that soundtrack" in your post leaves me unsure as to whether or not I should count that as a vote.
5) I use sentences or little writeups you have in the OP of the results thread so it helps if you do write something even if it's the tiniest comment ever.
6) Some of you have ineligible soundtracks in your list (like maybe 2-3 people) which fall under the "no ports which don't have massive soundtrack changes" category, so please double check your ballot.
If you wish to do any sort of write-ups for your vote a la the Game of the Generation thread, you may do so in any way you wish. Examples of such ballots in previous years are these: Jucksalbe, Papercuts, Branny, Earthpainting, Nocturnowl, Thoraxes, Axelstream, and Yuterald. There are even more examples in previous threads linked at the bottom if you’d like to work through them to get an idea if you are relatively new to voting. If you do a write-up or make a small comment, I will go through and pick some of the most-encompassing ones to add to the Results Thread.
You’re highly encouraged to do more than simply list your selections; please provide links to standout tracks if you can and take the time to describe what makes the soundtracks special to you. We’re hoping that everyone will want to join the conversation and take the opportunity to discover new soundtracks and composers. The most important thing about this thread is to have fun with voting and discovering new things.
Voting will end on January 15th at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you may edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then.
Ineligible Soundtracks: 2016 has seen many games which have been either re-releases, ports, remasters, or games that have seen staggered releases in different regions. Because of this, some soundtracks are ineligible for voting for various reasons. Generally, if a game is remastered or ported and there is not a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: Gravity Rush Remastered; Twilight Princess HD), it is not eligible. If there is a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: some of the additions to Amplitude or Rez HD extra tracks), it is eligible.
- Regional: North American and European members can vote for Blade and Soul this year, as it officially came out in these regions this year. As always, you may vote for a soundtrack for a Japanese-only game or a game that came out in Japan first in 2016 as long as you do not vote for the soundtrack next year provided it does get a Western release. The long and short of it is: if you choose to vote to only vote for soundtracks that came out in your region, please make sure that it came out in 2016. If not, it is not eligible. A good comparison is how North American users voted for Bravely Default in 2015, but European users could not vote for it in 2015. You may list these soundtracks if the conditions fit as LTTP soundtracks at your own discretion.
- Late Ports: No non-2016 ports’ soundtracks (ex: Final Fantasy IX, Danganronpa PC, The Banner Saga for consoles, etc) are eligible for voting, full-stop. If you would like to mention an older port’s soundtrack, please mention it in your LTTP vote.
- Virtual Console / PSOne/PS2 Classics / XBLA Classics: These are only eligible for LTTP votes. No exceptions.
- HD Remasters with minimal changes: Remasters with minimal soundtrack changes, such as Gravity Rush Remastered, Twilight Princess HD, and Tearaway Remastered are not eligible for point allocation this year. If you would like to vote for these Remasters, please do so in an honourable mention or LTTP vote.
- HD Remasters with major changes: Remasters with major soundtrack changes, (like the Amplitude EP with new tracks, and Rez HD's new tracks) such as are eligible for point allocation. Please vote for these soundtracks normally.
- Major expansions with new tracks: Expansions of some games, such as World of Warcraft: Legion, are eligible for voting. Additionally, patch content for some games, such as Final Fantasy XIV 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 are eligible. If you are voting for these soundtracks, please specify that you are voting for their expansions. Granblue Fantasy folks: since this finally got an English release this year, go for it! Everything from before Lyria is eligible but you're totally welcome to just vote for Lyria.
Aside from those exceptions, all soundtracks for games released in 2016 will be eligible, including licensed and partially-licensed soundtracks. To the extent that we’re hoping to celebrate new music from this year and bring some attention to composers’ new works, there’s a bit of an implied “honour system” here; if you decide vote for a licensed soundtrack, an explanation as to why you think it was especially fitting for the game or thoughtfully compiled would be greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions about, or wish to discuss, a soundtrack’s eligibility, please feel free to send a PM to me and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, my answer will probably be “yes”, but if you’re unsure please message me.
As the thread continues to grow, an archive of many of this year’s soundtracks will be built up for people to explore. In addition to soundtracks GhaleonQ and I have found to be noteworthy, we will include every soundtrack mentioned in your posts. We will also work to include your favorite songs and your descriptions of the soundtracks. If you’re passionate about any music from this year, take this as an opportunity to spread the word!
The format is as follows:
- Game Title (album information linked)
- Sample Tracks (song titles with links to YouTube, Bandcamp and/or other appropriate websites)
For the 15 soundtracks that receive the most points, we will provide a brief overview of the winning composers, including discographies. This will help to highlight the individuals that created the soundtracks and to encourage people to check out their past works.
When and if possible, we will also attempt to reach out to the winning composers and let them know how they did. If they're like Austin Wintory, they may even feel compelled to join up.
So, good luck! Try to have fun when coming up with your ballots and happy listening, everyone! :)
First to Third Console Generation Voting Thread & Results
Fourth Console Generation Results
Fourth Console Generation Voting Thread
Fifth Console Generation Results (by Nocturnowl)
Fifth Console Generation Voting Thread (by Nocturnowl)
Sixth Console Generation Results and Archive
Sixth Console Generation Voting thread
2015 Results and Archive
2015 Voting thread
2014 Results and Archive
2014 Voting Thread
2013 Results and Archive
2013 Voting Thread
2012 Results and Archive
2012 Voting Thread
2011 Results and Archive
2011 Voting Thread
2010 Results and Archive
2010 Voting Thread
Also, thank you to Earthpainting for doing the results for the last voting thread. I thought I'd edited my post with them but I guess the edit didn't go through? Bang on, though. Those were the same results I got.
Partial Archive (This is a work in progress-- stuff will be added as the vote goes on)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
Noriyuki Iwadare, Toshihiko Horiyama, Masami Onodera, Masakazu Sugimori, Akemi Kimura
Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
Mr. Reus ~ The Masked Magician
Investigation ~ Core 2016
Bravely Second: End Layer
Battle of Tribulations
Sapp and Piddler's Theme
Battle of Providence
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Michael McCann, Sascha Dikiciyan, Ed Harrison
The Red Queen
Battle for the Future
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Confront the Enemy
Mick Gordon, Bobby Prince, Chris Hite
Rip and Tear
Flesh & Metal
Final Fantasy XIV: 3.2, 3.3, 3.4
Final Fantasy XV
Stand Your Ground
Carpenter Brut, Danger, The Toxic Avenger, Lorn, Scattle, Waveshaper, Kn1ght
Make This Right (remix)
My Only Chance
Nobuo Uematsu, Tsutomu Narita
vs Yggdrasil Magna
The Stars High in the Sky
New World Order
Hyper Light Drifter (Bandcamp)
The Midnight Wood
The Refiner's Fire
I am Setsuna
Beginning of the End
No Turning Back
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa
Re: Green Greens
Star Dream Soul OS
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga)
Megadimension Neptunia VII
Takeshi Toriumi, Takeshi Abo, Tsutomu Narita, Sayuri Kan, Kenji Kaneko, Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Hirota, Chihiro Fujioka, Chiyomaru Shikura, Shinya Miyahara, Hiroaki Suzuki, Shinichi Yuuki, SHIKI
Encounter of Destiny
Will Be Venus
Pokemon Sun & Moon
Junichi Masuda, Go Ichinose, Minako Adachi, Hitomi Sato, Tomoaki Oga, Hideaki Kuroda, Morikazu Aoki
Battle! (Team Skull Admin)
Vs Red & Blue
Battle! (Elite Four)
The Last Guardian
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Kazuaki Yamashita, Yuichi Nakase, KOH, Cube Juice, Akihiko Nakamura
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Henry Jackman, Alex Belcher, Greg Edmonson
The Twelve Towers
Cut to the Chase
A Thief's End
VA-11 Hall-A (bandcamp)
Every Day is Night
All Systems Go
March of the White Knights
JPOP rhythm minigame
Boss Battle 2
World of Final Fantasy
World of Nine Woods Hills
Prismelody: Blinded By Light
Labyrinth of Lights
World of Warcraft: Legion
Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Sam Cardon, Glenn Stafford, Edo Guidotti, Jason Hayes, David Arkenstone
Kingdoms Will Burn
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga)
Next Step Towards the Unknown
(Again, the archive will be more filled out as the vote goes on)