Your hosts are timetokill and I, joined by newcomer ASilentProtagonist. The official rules and sample ballot are below.
If you do not follow the rules, your vote may not be counted. You have been warned.
2016 Voting Rules
- You must have at least one comment in your ballot or it may not be counted. The comment must be more substantial than "GOTF lol" or what have you. Posting without comments may also subject you to a ban. Do NOT post a ballot without any comments, as most people don't remember to come back and add them.
- Comments on games must begin on the same line as the game title itself, following a semicolon (;) Not a hyphen. Not a dash. Not a slash. Not a space. Not a period. A semicolon.
- You may vote for any playable content released in 2016.
- The current spreadsheet of nominated games can be found here.
- You may list up to 10 games for your ballot. The games must be numbered, and consecutively listed in numerical order from 1 to 10.
- Games must be listed using their full title. Abbreviated entries will not be counted. Copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet to be sure.
- You may list any number of honorable mentions in your ballot, and these must be indicated by an "x."
- No "reserving" posts to hold your ballot later. This just clogs up the thread with wasted space and ensures that fewer people will actually see your list. Such posts will disqualify your ballot, even if edited in later.
- No posting unofficial, preliminary results. This may influence the voting.
Ready to vote? Get started quickly by copying and pasting the ballot below into your reply.
To ensure the parser correctly tabulates your ballot, please follow this format as closely as possible. Don't actually post "Game A" or "Your thoughts on Game A," etc.
1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.
Note that while all points will be tallied, only NEW playable content will be eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration.
All content is eligible for Platform Award consideration. Rereleases, ports, and other content will be awarded in their own category.
1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point
x. Game K ; 0 points
x. Game L; 0 points
Honorable mentions will not receive points, but they will be tracked and used for tiebreakers, assuming you list them appropriately.
----- Game Eligibility Rules -----
- Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
- DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: The Taken King is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
- Episodes of games released this year are eligible.
Queried Eligible Games: Dragon's Dogma (PC re-release), Kerbal Space Program (PS4/XB1 only), Lumines (mobile)
Queried Ineligible Games: AM2R, Paragon (beta)
----- FAQ -----
Is (insert game here) eligible?
1. First, check the spreadsheet list of eligible nominated games. Note that this list isn't exhaustive, but if it's on there, you're good.
2. Not on there? Check the confirmed eligible and ineligible games listed above.
3. If a game you want isn't listed there either, and you're SURE about it, just post it in your ballot. We'll automatically add it to the list. If you're not sure, shoot me or timetokill or ASilentProtagonist a PM and we'll get it sorted out.
Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible. Therefore, this is the only year that Kerbal Space Program will be eligible for the overall GOTY ranking.
Can I talk about somebody else's list?
Discussion is encouraged! Want to talk about another poster’s list? Quote it. Any unquoted ballots (those outside a quote block) will overwrite your own previous vote.
Can I use images in my ballot? I want it to be BEAUTIFUL!
Absolutely you can, but all numbering and formatting must happen as indicated in the sample ballot above, meaning your numbers cannot be within the image itself. Here are some examples of beautiful, rule-abiding ballots from the past: NotLiquid, JDHarbs, TheVisualizer.
My ballot is too long! Can I split it into two posts?
You should NOT split your ballot into two, because the parser won't read it correctly. What you should do is make sure that your "official" list is somewhere in your posts, and that the rest does not conflict. For example, check Dark Schala's short novel from 2013's voting. The official ballot is appropriately listed at the end.
I want to change my list. Do I have to make a new post?
No, you can simply edit your original vote up until the deadline.
My ballot was disqualified! Why?
Most likely, you didn't follow the rules above. What you probably did: You didn't number things correctly. You didn't write any comments. You listed the same game more than once. You didn't follow the formatting rules.
Can I order my list from 10 to 1?
Yes, but this may increase the chances of you accidentally skipping a place and invalidating your ballot.
OMG what about Final Fantasy XV and Dark Souls III? Lots of people are using Arabic numerals. Will they be counted?
We'll be fairly lenient on variations, but the only way to guarantee that your vote will be counted is to copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet. But again, just because a game isn't listed doesn't mean you can't vote for it if you're sure it's a 2016 title. Just use the most complete and official title available.
Steins;Gate has a semicolon in its title! What do I do?
It's the one game title that uses a semicolon. We're using that character as a delimiter, so it's not included in the title here. If you use a semicolon in that title, it'll turn out as "Steins" and it won't get sorted automatically. So, don't use a semicolon in that title. Use it as a delimiter.
When will the results be posted?
As soon as is possible given the copy-paste technology at our disposal. Last year it took 20 minutes. This year, it may be difficult to beat that time.
Happy voting, everyone!