• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Drayco21
(12-31-2016, 08:33 PM)
Rad, two years running now. I stopped updating my posts in the last thread, but still managed to get myself through it down to the wire.

Looking forward to starting out the new year.
DocONally
3rd Year Running!

2014: Didn't enter.
2015: 18 games http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost...&postcount=279 Scruffy, unfinished mess, don't look!
2016: 25 games http://neogaf.site/forum/showpost...&postcount=269 Tidier, but boring.
2017: Here we come! Will make nice with pics!
Last edited by DocONally; 01-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Eggbok
Reserving!
Gonna actually attempt it this year, with the backlog I have I should hit 52 easily by the end of the year.
echoshifting
(12-31-2016, 08:34 PM)
Yessss I'm in this year! 2015 was the year of my disgraceful defeat, 51/52 games completed, 2016 was my year in exile, watching training montages and playing Rocky games. 2017 shall be the year of victory.

Current Targets
Firewatch
Doom (2016)
Stardew Valley

Completed (all on PS4 unless noted otherwise)
Last edited by echoshifting; 12-31-2016 at 08:51 PM.
TP17
(12-31-2016, 08:34 PM)
Completed:

#/52

Good luck everyone.
wyvern_bloodfist
(12-31-2016, 08:36 PM)
I'm in for another year; I'll add my Wife's list as well she wants to give it a go but she doesn't have a gaf account so two list from me this year :) I've got this :D
Qdor
(12-31-2016, 08:38 PM)
I'm terrible at finishing games. I will give this a shot to break my bad habit of buying games and never even starting them!
KraytarJ
(12-31-2016, 08:39 PM)
I hit 52 this year but stopped updating around February. Here's to a successful 2017!
Lilalaunebaer
(12-31-2016, 08:43 PM)
This is the year.

Tried 2 years ago, but failed miserably and didn´t even try this year. Barely played anything.

January

Game 1: Pokemon Sun, January 7th, 58h
Pokemon, love it. Postgame done. Not interested in pokedex filling. Maybe in stars on switch in a year.
Game 2: Breath of the Wild, March 17th, 70+ hours
10/10. Goty. The world is huge, no pointers/question marks. Gotta find that shit on your own. Best discovery gameplay ever. I feel empty now.

Currently playing: Uncharted Trilogy. Quit after 2 hours of 1. Fuck that game honestly. Level design - garbage. Enemy encounters - garbage. Climbing - garbage. I can´t believe sony actually had faith in this franchise after the first one. At least 2 is actually good.
Last edited by Lilalaunebaer; 03-18-2017 at 05:33 PM.
JehutyRunner
(12-31-2016, 08:56 PM)
I watched from afar last year, but this is it. I'm officially putting my hat in the ring. This is my first rodeo here, second in the Backlog Blitz. I can't wait to do this.

January:

Game One
Call of Duty - Modern Warfare Remastered (PlayStation 4)

Game Two
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PlayStation 4)

Game Three
Firewatch (PlayStation 4) - January 10

February

Game Four
FIFA 17 [The Journey mode] (Xbox One) - February 4

Game Five
Gears of War (Xbox One) - February 7

Game Six
Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One) - February 9
Last edited by JehutyRunner; 03-02-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Marceles
(12-31-2016, 08:57 PM)
Going to give it a shot. My backlog is insane right now, I have to whittle it down
Synth
(12-31-2016, 08:58 PM)
Gonna try again this year. Fell off pretty quick last year due to work, but I feel like I got through quite a bit in the second half of the year, but wasn't tracking at that point.

Completed: 0/52

Shortlist
Phantasy Star Online
Uncharted 3
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Street Fighter V
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Ori and the Blind Forest
Titanfall 2
Doom
Final Fantasy XIII-2

Shizza
(12-31-2016, 09:00 PM)
2017-Q1 (Jan, Feb, Mar):

Game 1: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4) - 7 Hrs

I had this game on my Wii U for ages - from some random sale eons ago - but it wasn't until I got together with an old friend during vacation that I actually got a chance to play it (and on a different system no less). This game was quite a pleasant surprise, and I think another one that was recommended by GAF. I went into it totally blind, and it turned out to be a co-op metroidvania...NICE! Anyway, it was an all-around quality game, and I'd highly recommend it. The music was great, the artwork was great, the control was on point, and there were plenty of challenges to work through. I loved how it payed homage to video games of the past the metroid statues where you acquired new abilities, as well as the posters on the walls of Mario, Luigi, Mega Man, and a few others. In addition to being a great game on it's own, it was also a wonderful game to play with a friend. We enjoyed it enough to go back and 100% it. Great way to start this year's 52-game challenge.

Game 2: Super Mario Run (mobile) - 5 Hrs

This one seems to elicit mixed feelings among players, but personally I enjoyed it. The art is quite similar to the NSMB series, but they play-style differs in that it's an auto-runner and tapping the screen makes you jump. I felt that Nintendo did quite a good job of delivering a Mario title on a mobile device, while avoiding the pitfalls of playforming on a screen (as opposed to using a controller with dedicated buttons).

In addition to the standard Mario levels, the added content of world-building, as well as the 1-1 rallys for coins, creates a cohesive system that keeps you alternating between the different modes. For me, this is one of those games that I can get lost in and suddenly it's an hour or so later - a genuinely fun gaming experience.

Update:
I don't think this game has longevity, at least not to me. I definitely enjoyed it enough to get all of the pink coins. However, after reflecting on the game some time later, I don't really have the urge to revisit it (like I do for Super Mario World/Galaxy).

Game 3: Laura Croft Go (mobile) - 5 Hrs

Needed something to occupy me on the plane ride back from vacation. I'm quite the fan of puzzle games, and this one was a turn-based strategy type. Some of the puzzles are pretty easy; while others offered quite the challenge, and figuring them out was pretty rewarding. There's collectibles to encourage additional game-play, though the rewards are only unlocking additional costumes (so it was more of the challenge for completion that drove me). The game was only $1 on the App Store (though I think it originally debuted for more), and I fell like I got way more than my money's worth on this one. I enjoyed it enough to keep playing after I got home to go for a 100%.

Game 4: Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) - 13 Hrs

I'm about an hour in and I'm really liking the game mechanics - shifting gravity and falling in style!

[u]Update:[u]
This game was a TON of fun. I love the cell-shaded aesthetic, and felt the comic book cut-scenes worked really well for this game. The characters and city were memorable and enjoyable. Most of all, I LOVED the game mechanics. Messing around with gravity to fly through the world was incredibly satisfying - from traveling around, to collecting crystals, to fighting enemies - it was just a bunch of fun. I thought the crystal as currency worked well, and liked how they directly added value to collecting them by enabling upgrades to abilities. The boss fights were great (except for an optional one in the lava cave area that drove me a little nutty - but I persevered). Really really great game, totally worth the price, and I can't wait to play the sequel!

Game 5: Pokemon Go (Mobile) - Ongoing: ~6 Hrs/Week

Started playing this last year, but I still come back to it every day, so I'll tally this year's hours at the end of the year.

Game 6: Candy Crush Saga (Mobile) - Ongoing: ~2 Hrs/Week

Started playing this last year, but I still come back to it one/twice a week, and I'll also tally this year's hours at the end of the year.

Game 7: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - 12 Hrs

Nostalgia time! I love everything about this game and it's always a joy to revisit. The music - great; the sprite work - great; the puzzles and boss fights - also great! I love the variety of items, and how they serve multiple purposes, allowing for a dynamic play style. The world feels big with a variety of unique areas, yet has enough design and charm woven into it such that it doesn't feel barren. While the story isn't exactly revolutionary, it never loses focus and it does a great job tying the game together. I love the timelessness of this game, and how it's just as enjoyable to me now as it was 25 years ago.

Game 8: Trackmania Turbo (PS4) - 15 Hrs

It's like Hot Wheels for adults. I checked out a YouTube video of the gameplay before grabbing this on a PSN sale, and it still surpassed my expectations. This was another games that was just a whole bunch of fun to play. Depending on what medals you're going for, and how determined you are, I can see this game becoming a frustrating nightmare, hah. (Your trajectory is off by a tiny bit? crash. Your speed is off by a tiny bit? crash. Your drift isn't long/short enough? yup, crash!). That aside, I love a great challenge - and it certainly is. Although it was tough as nails at times, it never felt cheap - it was entirely my fault whenever I crashed (and not lag, bugs, or an evil CPU). As I got the feel for the game control down, it got easier and more satisfying. Great in short to medium bursts of time. I've gotten at least silver in the first 90 tracks, and I'm working my way through more every few days when I need a break from other games.

Game 9: ABZU (PS4) - 2 Hrs

So, I'm going to be honest - January has been amazing for games that I've played - and this game doesn't deviate from that one bit. It's Journey, but underwater. This is one of those games that you can come home - totally exhausted - and just chill the heck out with. I love the freedom of exploring, then add the vibrant colors and soothing music to that and it's just a joy to play. There were a few puzzles (like in Journey) that adds some variety to the game play. I loved the variety of pace in the game from swimming up to a larger fish and grabbing their fin to go for a leisurely ride, to the fast paced underwater currents where you're swimming in and around schools of fish with the awesome music in the background. And the moment you step out of the water for the first time - it definitely felt odd at first, like "are you sure I'm supposed to get out??"

While it's very short in length, it felt just right. I whole-heatedly recommend this game if you enjoyed Journey!

Game 10: Limbo (PS4) - 3.5 Hrs

This game is a testament to how engaging a game can be based solely on game play. No story, no music (aside from ambient noise), no color (black and white) - and yet the environmental puzzles and platforming were on point. This was another one of those games where I would lose track of time and suddenly it was an hour later.

Game 11: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (WII) - 26 Hrs

I played Super Mario Galaxy for the first time last year, and I thought it was incredible - probably my favorite 3D Mario game. This year I took on Super Mario Galaxy 2, and it was more of the same (in a good way). I know it's been mentioned before that this one felt more like an expansion, rather than a sequel, and I agree. It didn't change the gameplay aside from adding Yoshi and a few new power-ups, but I don't think it needed to. I felt that the combination of new levels coupled with the familiar game mechanics and aesthetic delivered a second helping of a meal that I was craving.

I ended up getting all 120 stars and then found out there is another 120 stars to get by revisiting all of the worlds to grab the new green stars - I will definitely come back for this challenge in the future. Once again, the puzzles and boss fighters were top notch - sometimes requiring several tried to figure out the strategy and then execute it, but it always had that rewarding feeling after you do.

Game 12: Final Fantasy V (SNES) - 42 Hrs

Similar to the Mario Galaxy, I played the previous entry in the Final Fantasy series last year for the first time, and have been eagerly anticipating playing this one and the next. With Zelda coming out soon, it was a bit of a race against the clock to beat this one in time to play Zelda on release day.

Once again, the sequel felt just as good as the previous entry. The characters were endearing, the world was vast and varied, and the story was pretty good too (and I appreciated the twists that they throw in there like Faris & Lenna being sisters, or Bartz father being one of the original warriors from the other planet). I LOVED the job system, and the freedom in play-style that it offered. Being able to switch jobs (classes) on the fly meant that I could experiment with different strategies to defeat a challenge that gave me difficulties. The sprite work was incredibly detailed as you would expect in quality SNES games, and the music was great too (although I think some of the remixes were better in FFIV).

The battles were mostly great with a few gimmick-y ones. The final battle specifically phase 2 - vs Neo Exdeath - rocked my world. I really had no big troubles progressing through the game until the last phase of the last boss. I think I ended up spending another 10 hours leveling up characters, their jobs, farming money for gear and consumables, researching strategies, and then trying several different ideas until I finally beat him. It was such a relief when I finally beat him - not only because it brought the came to a close, but also because it was release day for Breath of the Wild, and I immediately started playing that one next. As a side note that ending might be the longest one I've ever seen. Great game, and I'm looking forward to FFVI later this year!

Game 13: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NSW) - In Progress!

I've been looking forward to this game since...2013? I forget when we first got the "Legend of Zelda Wii U" working title. I kept getting excited for it any time there was a chance we would find out more about it, and then we didn't...quite a few times...and then it was delayed...and then delayed again. I don't think I ever became uninterested in it, but I stopped getting excited for it. The bits and pieces of game play we saw looked great, but I kept my expectations in check until the reviews came pouring in - my goodness, instant hype.

I still had this nagging feeling that it might not live up to those expectations, but after the first night I knew it would. I don't think I've been this engaged in a game since WoW first released - that feeling where you don't notice time passing, and suddenly it's 4 hours later; that feeling where you just want to do "one more thing" and then it's another "one more thing", etc. Sure I've had this feeling in small burst from other games, but Saturday was the first time I've binged on a game to this extent in a LONG time. I love to explore - both in real life and in games - and that feeling is ever present in BotW. The ability to climb anything and use the glider further amplifies this - I would go so far as to say that without them the game would pale in comparison.

I was a little uncertain how I would feel about the weapons/shields/bows being able to break, but after some time in the game I think it adds to the experience. It really makes you try out new gear and chose what you use and when - saving the best gear for boss fights, etc.

I am thoroughly enjoying the stealthly play-style. I bought the full Sheika gear set (for added stealth), crouch-walking when coming up to an enemy for reduced noise, and using the bow to take them out from afar. I love being able to pick up arrows that missed their target (both mine and enemies). The stealth aspect also worked to my advantage in catching a horse. That horse was dope! A couple of times I died while I was off doing stuff away from the horse and he was always waiting for me nearby, except the last time - he is gone...sad times :(

In terms of progression, I am enjoying the game so much that I'm taking my time and enjoying everything the game has to offer. I'm enjoying seeking out the array of collectables, and love that they serve also as a means to enhance your character or add more storage. I'm about 20 hours in and I've completed 20 shrines. I've started making my way to the first dungeon, but I'm in no rush to end this wonderful experience.

Update:
I'm about 55 hours in now, and this game is looking to be my personal GOAT. This game has a wealth of gameplay options - simply moving through the story quests, a variety of side quests, exploration, collectables, quick challenges found in the shrines, longer challenges in the divine beasts, and even just experimenting with the game's mechanics. I've now completed 50 of the shrines and 2 of the divine beasts - which I think puts me right around 1/2-way through the content (tbd!). I've successfully caught another horse and registered him this time with a stable, so we're buddies now. For traveling, I find myself warping for long distances, and running on foot for short distances (so that I can scout out areas or collect items). I still use the horse as a fun alternative to my exploration at times, but it's not the main method of travel that I assumed it would be.

Speaking on the game's engagement, I have to give it credit in particular for holding my attention in the Lost Woods - between a half-hour of getting lost just trying to find out what was in there, and then an hour of the Challenge of Wood (leading to the East Shrine), and an hour of tailing one of the young Korok dudes (leading to the Northwest Shrine) - and still I keep wanting to best these challenges, never looking for help online to get past them, and not wanting to quit and do something else.

Last edited by Shizza; 03-16-2017 at 06:39 PM.
IanVanCheese
(12-31-2016, 09:01 PM)
I'm in baby, claiming a post for later.

Finished:

1. Manuel Samuel.
Last edited by IanVanCheese; 01-05-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Flux
(12-31-2016, 09:06 PM)
Claiming a post. I didn't keep track in 2016, but I think I would have come close. A good way to try to chip away at my backlog.

Finished:
1. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
2. Orcs Must Die!
3. UFC 2
4. Bastion
5. Beyond Good and Evil HD
6. Sleeping Dogs (Definitive Edition)
Last edited by Flux; 02-05-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Malyse
stop advertising threads
(12-31-2016, 09:08 PM)
This is going to be a best of 2016 list.

Malyse:
  1. 1/6 - Dragon Ball Fusions
  2. 1/25 - FE Fates Birthright (40:30)
  3. 1/29 - FE Fates Conquest (23:10)
  4. 2/10 - FE Fates Revelation (29:45)
  5. 2/11 - FE Fates DLC (7:41)
  6. 2/26 - Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni- (43:00)

2016 - 19 games
----
Grovee
HowLongtoBeat
IGDB
Last edited by Malyse; 03-01-2017 at 05:14 PM.
ChrisD
(12-31-2016, 09:09 PM)
So long as I don't have another death in the family or end up sick for nearly a freaking month again (that is, if I could get back to normal health from where I'm at now), 2017 will be my year... Of at least 39 titles, lol.. Still not sure I can make 52.
Malyse
stop advertising threads
(12-31-2016, 09:11 PM)
Oop
Lackadaisicool
(12-31-2016, 09:15 PM)
I'm in, fam.

Claimed
orthodoxy1095
Banned
(12-31-2016, 09:23 PM)
I'm here fam, and reporting for duty more on time than last year (think I started a month late). I actually completed the challenge last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can manage this time around!

2014 SUMMARY | 2015 SUMMARY | 2016 SUMMARY

Game 1: Mini Metro - 5 hours - Jan. 3
Game 2: Super Stardust HD - Jan. 20

To be finished:
  • Steins;Gate
  • Yakuza 0
  • Bioshock
  • Bioshock 2
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Driveclub
  • Bloodborne
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • #FE
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Pikmin 3
  • Radiant Historia
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 5
  • The Talos Principle
  • Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  • Gone Home
  • Inside
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Psychonauts
Last edited by orthodoxy1095; 01-26-2017 at 07:02 AM.
BraXzy
(12-31-2016, 09:27 PM)
Claimed.

I got the 52 for the first time this year (2016) I don't think I'll manage it again but I'll keep track at least. Good luck folks!
Minishdriveby
(12-31-2016, 09:29 PM)

Originally Posted by orthodoxy1095

I'm here fam, and reporting for duty more on time than last year (think I started a month late). I actually completed the challenge last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can manage this time around!

CLAIMED

Look forward to seeing you here and in the 50 Books 50 Movies thread!
Jonathan_Nielson
(12-31-2016, 09:29 PM)
Completed: 7/52

1: Fallout 4 - 27 Hours (PS4)
Finished: 1/13/2017
"A truly fantastic game riddled with bugs and performance problems. I'll probably replay it on PC to at least alleviate the framey nightmare that is downtown Boston."

2: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - 17 Hours (PS3)
Finished: 1/15/2017
"Really fun game, that probably is a few hours too long, though it's not too big an issue. Will likely go back for the Platinum soon."

3: Three Fourths Home - 2 Hours (Vita)
Finished 1/20/2017
"Deeply moving Twine game that really caught me by surprise. It took about an hour to beat it, but I spent another hour, at least, going through all the extras. Truly excellent."

4: Xenoblade Chronicles - 63 Hours (Wii)
Finished 2/05/2017
"Never have I love/hated a game more than this. Incredible world, music, characters, and gameplay sit next to grim balancing issues and incredibly cringy writing and performances. Perhaps my favorite game ever that I absolutely couldn't wait to be done with. Weird feeling."

5: Actual Sunlight - 2 Hours (Vita)
Finished 2/06/2017
"Decided to play this while I waited for Nioh to be delivered and was caught off guard by it's emotional weight. It's a small, dialogue driven game with minor movements and choices throughout the world. It's a very impactful story about depression and suicide."

6: Wolfenstein: The New Order - 16 Hours (PS4)
Finished 2/18/2017
*Platinumed: 02/19/2017, 14 Hours*
"Always been a big shooter fan, but this game surprised me with just how fun its gameplay was, on top of an interesting story and incredible atmosphere. Both the lean and armor mechanics were interesting and well implemented. Pretty fun trophy list, too. Highly recommended."

7: Nioh - 46 Hours (PS4)
Finished 2/26/2017
"I've never played a Souls game before, so this was my first experience with the genre and I absolutely loved it. The setting and gameplay are truly fantastic and beating a game has probably never felt so good. Never tried cocaine, but I imagine beating a Nioh boss feels pretty similar. Highly recommended for anyone who likes a challenge."

On Deck: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
Last edited by Jonathan_Nielson; 02-26-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Infinite Xero
(12-31-2016, 09:32 PM)

I seem to complete about 14 games every year so far. Maybe I'll reach 52 one day.

Game 0: Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) ~12 hours
Date Completed: 12/20/16

I wasn't able to add this game to last year's list before the thread closed (I think I live in the past since it is still the 31st of Dec. for me) but I wanted to keep track of which games I've played so I'm adding this. I originally played Gravity Rush on the Vita and loved it and the PS4 version is even better. The visuals look so good and I prefer the PS4 controller as opposed to the vita. The game's story is good enough (was a nice memory refresh before GR2) to continue playing the game as the gameplay is Gravity Rush's best asset (apart from maybe art direction). "Flying" is so fun and the city isn't really large so you're covering large distances quite easily. The challenges were also a nice distraction from the main story. I enjoyed the overall game but would have liked combat to be more diverse. Hopefully that gets fixed in the sequel.
Last edited by Infinite Xero; 12-31-2016 at 09:54 PM.
abd
(12-31-2016, 09:40 PM)
Reserved
Hawk Fan
(12-31-2016, 09:41 PM)
I'm in for 2017! Made it in 2016 but see room for improvement in the type and quality of games I finish.
A Link to the Past
Snitch
(12-31-2016, 09:44 PM)

nooo

I failed to get the first page lol

Ah well, at least I'm in the low #s on the second page. All righty, gotta set up now! Completed two games in the last few days of 2016, counting them for 2017.

January: 10

Game #1: Picross e7 (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Game #2: Severed (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★★☆
Game #3: Infectonator 2 (PC) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆
Game #4: Gunman Clive 2 (3DS) - ★★★★★★★★★☆
Game #5: flOw (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Game #6: Hitman GO (Android) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #7: Inside (Xbox One) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #8: Event[0] (PC) - ★★★★★★★★★☆
Game #9: INK (PC) - ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
Game #10: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) - ★★★★★★★★★★

February: 10

Game #11: Monster Manor (3DS) - ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
Game #12: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #13: Refunct (PC) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Game #14: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Plus (PC) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Game #15: The Witness (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #16: Manual Samuel (XB1) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Game #17: Dragon Quest Builders (Vita) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #18: DJMax Portable 3 (PSP) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #19: Doodle God (Vita) - ★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆
Game #20: Banjo-Kazooie (360) - ★★★★★★★★★★

March: 6

Game #21: The First Skunk Bundle (Wii U) - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Game #22: Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES) - ★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆
Game #23: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #24: Titanfall 2 (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★★★
Game #25: Atari Flashback Classics vol.2 (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Game #26: Atari Flashback Classics vol.1 (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

Platform totals:

PC - 5/10
PlayStation 4 - 5/10
Nintendo 3DS - 4/10
PlayStation Vita - 2/10
Game Boy Color - 2/10
Xbox One - 2/10
Wii U - 2/10
Android - 1/10
PlayStation Portable - 1/10
Xbox 360 - 1/10
NES - 1

Goals:

1. Beat all unbeaten mainline Dragon Quest games
2. Beat all unbeaten mainline Final Fantasy games
3. Beat all unbeaten mainline Shin Megami Tensei games
4. Beat all unbeaten mainline Persona games
5. Beat all unbeaten mainline The Legend of Zelda games
6. Beat all unbeaten Kirby games
7. Beat all games I own through PS+

Currently playing/planning to play:

1. Ultimate Ghosts'N Goblins (PSP)
2. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (PSP)
3. Banjo-Tooie (360)
4. Dragon Warrior (NES)
5. Doom (360)
6. Final Fantasy (PS1)
7. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
9. Civilization VI (PC)
10. Persona 5 (PS4)
11. Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Last edited by A Link to the Past; 03-21-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Hikami
(12-31-2016, 09:46 PM)
Completed it in 2015 and 2016. I'm in again.

1. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Last edited by Hikami; 03-06-2017 at 10:58 PM.
iSnakeTk
Should be put to work in a coal mine.
(12-31-2016, 09:47 PM)
Fuck it! I will try it this year.Still have my backlog on 360.
JaCy
(12-31-2016, 09:48 PM)
I barely got to 20 games in 2016, this year I'm going to try for it!

Claimed

Game 1: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Platform: Wii U
I finally finished after two years, I got to the Triforce pieces bit and had no idea that they made it easier than the GC version.

Game 2 - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Platform: Wii U
Very fun game, if not short. For some reason not being able to jump made the game feel weird.

Game 3 - Dragon Quest VI
Platform: DS
I bought this on launch day in the US (2/11!), and while I've enjoyed every other game in the series that I've played (half of all the numbered titles). This one was probably one of the dullest games I've ever played, I really didn't find it all interesting.

Game 4: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Platform: PS3
I've played all the mainline series up until this one, and it's easily the best one. I haven't finished Into the Nexus or the PS4(going to soon though!)

Game 5: InFamous 2
I thought the first one was okay, nothing special. The sequel though? Its one of my absolute favorite PS3 games.

Game 6: Steamworld Dig
Platform: 3DS
Took me a while to get into, but once it did, I finished it in two sitting, though it is short

Game 7: Rain
I've been interested it since it was announced. While I enjoyed it, I felt it dragged on near the end.

Game 8: Resistance: Fall of Man
Decent game, though the graphics have aged. Hard to believe how long it came out.
Last edited by JaCy; Yesterday at 04:13 AM.
Teggy
(12-31-2016, 09:51 PM)
1. Gravity Rush - 14.25 hours
#Played on PSVITA - finished 1/2 - Characters are pretty charming, but combat was a bit repetitive and the story kept asking more questions without offering many answers. At least there will be a sequel.

2. Tormentum - Dark Sorrow - 4 hours
#Played on MAC - finished 1/3 - A pretty short and easy adventure game with some disturbing imagery and a decent story. Choices in the game provide for some fairly clever but minor story effects.

3. Kirby: Planet Robobot - 11 hours
#Played on 3DS - finished 1/10 - A cute and clever game with a ton of content if you want it. I got a little tired of it toward the end and didn't bother getting all the collectibles, but all the additional modes you unlock after finishing the game make this a lot of bang for the buck.

4. Steamworld Heist - 13 hours
#Played on 3DS - finished 1/11 - A fun little turn based strategy game. Liked it a lot more than SW Dig. Plenty of replay value past the story.

5. Shovel Knight - 10.5 hours
#Played on 3DS - finished 1/13 - Brutal. Can't believe I stuck it out.

6. Shadowrun Returns - 14 hours
#Played on PC - finished 1/15 - I've heard this is the weakest of the series, but I wanted to play it as it wasn't very long. It's also a big achievement for me to actually get through a turn-based RPG. The story was pretty good, but it was very linear for an RPG.

7. Resident Evil Revelations - 7 hours
#Played on PC - finished 1/19 - A fairly fun trip into the RE universe. You could feel the portable roots from the level design.

8. Resident Evil 6 - 21.5 hours
#Played on PC - finished 2/7 - My least favorite Resident Evil game. Often felt closer to Call of Duty than to RE.

9. Dino Crisis - 10 hours
#Played on PSVITA - finished 2/14 - It's a PSX game with tank controls, so it holds up about how you'd think. Glad I played it, though, as it's been in my backlog for a good 15 years when I owned it in its original disc format.

10. Nier - 24 hours
#Played on XBOX360 - finished 2/22 - Gameplay was ok, but reading up on the lore was the best part of the experience. Looking forward to the sequel.

11. Wolfenstein (2009) - 8 hours
#Played on XBOX360 - finished 2/27 - Another intriguing game by Raven from right before they stopped making their own games. Not as good as The New Order, but a game worth playing. Performance on the 360 was a little disappointing, though.

12. Hollow Knight - 32 hours
#Played on PC - finished 3/13 - A really well designed game, made more impressive by its tiny dev team. I finished it, but I wanted to throw my controller at times. This doesn't make it a bad game, it just reminds me that there's a certain difficulty level that's not fun for me.

13. Nier: Automata - 36 hours
#Played on PC - finished 3/22 - Finished routes A through E. Gameplay was a bit better than the original, but the real reason to pick this up is to see how the story turns out.
Last edited by Teggy; 03-22-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Ice9
(12-31-2016, 09:53 PM)
Reserving.

My backlog has grown to an unhealthy level, and anything that can help me reduce it is welcome.
Bootador83
(12-31-2016, 10:35 PM)
1: SteamWorld Heist

A cross between Worms and Xcom, I didn't enjoy as much as Steamworld Dig and I found the first world a bit slow. However about 1/3 the way through it just clicked and loved every minute of it from then on. Only criticisms are really the game doesn't really require you to think too much about party setup and you get quite overpowered late on.

8/10
Last edited by Bootador83; 01-02-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Blindy
(12-31-2016, 10:38 PM)
Claimed. Made 54 in my 1st year on this, want to shoot higher

January:
1)

Currently Playing:
Psychonauts(PS4)
Last edited by Blindy; 12-31-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Arondight
(12-31-2016, 10:47 PM)
Reserved
This will give me something to keep track of throughout the year.

Starting with:
The Last Guardian
Rise of Tomb Raider
Gears of War 4

Games Completed 0/52:
1: [Game Title] - Duration
grtkbrandon
(12-31-2016, 10:51 PM)
I'll claim this post! Maybe this will be a good reason to at least play some of the games I've purchased on Steam but never actually installed.

1: Grow Home - 3 Hours
I just picked up Grow Home during the Steam Winter Sale. I was listening to Giant Bomb and Brad reminded me that I should play it. I'm glad I did! While I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as Brad, I think the game is charming and really relaxing to play. The controls are unique but not frustrating, and it's relatively short which means it doesn't overstay its welcome. Overall, well worth the $3 I paid for it.

2: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - In progress

3: Pokemon Sun - In progress

4. Dragon Ball Fusions - In progress

5. Titanfall 2 - 6 hours-ish
I really wanted to get into Titanfall 2's multiplayer but the PC player base seems to be largely dead. Attrition games still has a few thousand players, but I don't see much action in the way of just pilot vs. pilot. Anyway, the campaign in the game is pretty interesting. I recall a lot of people mentioning its high praise, but after completing it, I don't really get it. It has some moments that briefly introduce unique mechanics, only to have them taken away. Very cool set pieces, though.

6. Overwatch - 100 hours
I bought Overwatch maybe a month or so ago and have been going at it pretty hard. I have huge qualms about the way it handles its competitive mode, which is why I'm probably going to put the game down. Losing more points than you win is a huge bummer. Gameplay is fun, but it makes me want to just reinstall TF2.
Last edited by grtkbrandon; 02-05-2017 at 06:37 PM.
piratepwnsninja
(12-31-2016, 10:52 PM)
1: Grim Dawn - 43 hours
Well, it's Grimdark Titan Quest, for sure. I don't know that Crate learned many lessons from Titan Quest, which was still a good game mind you as was this, but it kind of just ends with little fanfare and there is a lot of arcane usability that could be much better. I know a lot of people say it's the "true sequel" to Diablo 2, but I wouldn't go that far. It's a top tier loot ARPG, for sure.

2: The House in Fata Morgana - 35 hours
So I've finished the game, clocked in at 35 hours, and I've had some time to collect my thoughts. I am going to keep this as spoiler free and short as possible, while trying to get across my feelings for this game.

I have to start by stating that The House in Fata Morgana is the first Visual Novel I've really played...at least the first one I've played to completion. If you count Phoenix Wright (the first game), I guess I played one back when that was released in the US for the DS, but I never finished it. Regardless, I admittedly took in a lot of preconceptions to what a VN was. It was going to have waifus, it was going to have schoolgirls...all the stereotypical things one thinks when they haven't really researched or played one. I wondered just how much "game" was there. I'm a game designer by trade. Interaction of systems is generally a cornerstone of an experience for me. So yeah, The House of Fata Morgana had a lot going against it in terms of perception for me going in. When I finally emerged from the experience, there was but a single word I could pin on the entirety of it.

Perfection.

Apart from being a game designer, my original collegiate focus was creative writing. I'm definitely able to enjoy great works of fiction. I also tend to surrender myself to anything I am giving myself to. I allow myself to become emotionally invested because I personally get more out of any media when I do this. So despite some bias going in, I knew I had to leave a lot at the door in order to do this. I approached as the name suggested I should, a novel.

Let me get this out of the way early. If you aren't interested in reading, this game isn't for you. You have to read, and a lot. I mentioned this took me 35 hours to complete. Now, that's all the endings and dead ends, and some of it is idle time where I had to step away, but I'm a greater-than-average speed reader and it took me greater than 30 hours to do. It has visuals, sound effects, and music. Some light animation. There are points where you have to make choices, though few and far between in most cases. There are no stats, no inventory, no puzzles. It's a long choose-you-own adventure book. I, however, struggle to say that, as it belittles the experience, and use it only as a means for understanding what someone would be getting themselves into.

As I mentioned, I want to keep this as spoiler-free as possible, so I'll only speak in vague terms about the story itself. The Steam page says its, "A gothic suspense tale set in a cursed mansion. "The House in Fata Morgana" is a full-length visual novel spanning nearly a millennium that deals in tragedy, human nature, and insanity." This is definitely accurate, but there are a couple of things I'd like to expand upon, more in reference to the subject matter.

First, the story itself doesn't just make a great Visual Novel, at least as much as I understand them. This is honestly going on my list of favorite fictional works. I read quite a bit, and I do have a level of leniency on things that others sometimes don't. I mean, one of my favorite books of all time is The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. Not just favorite YA novel or whatnot, but favorite. I'm just stating this to set your barometer for whether or not you'd agree with my tastes. But this VN tells a tale so engrossing that I couldn't stop thinking about it any time that I had to step away from it. It's tragic, it shows people at their worst, and has long stretches of depressing narrative beating your over the head as it were a sledgehammer of vileness. Some of the twists you see coming, and it makes things all the worse since figuring out the twist isn't doesn't damper anything, but instead just creates more pain as you watch it the light on the freight train of sadness just get closer and closer. I mentioned that give myself up to anything I am experiencing. I outright admit that I cry at things, though when it comes to games, there aren't too many that have made me. The House in Fata Morgana didn't only make me cry, but at certain points, turned me into a sobbing, messy puddle of a person. So to say it affected me would be an understatement.

Another topic I'd like to bring up is the care in which it handles very sensitive subject matter. While I'm not going to go into specifics, as that would ruin critical emotional beats, The House in Fata Morgana tackles certain, we'll say, "High Risk" topics with care and grace that is not only rarely seen in games, but rarely seen in media in general. There is little to nothing that is presented for shock value, as other works are more than guilty of when these things are used. Here, instead, they are made part of the emotional core of a character, and the writers go to great lengths to show the internal and external effects of each subject they breach.

Wrapping up, this game totally threw my preconceived notions for a VN out the window. No waifu focused, half-nude schoolgirl stuff here. Just an incredibly told story, crafted incredibly well with layers upon layers of tragic, heartbreaking narrative that build to an amazing end. Again, if you don't want to sit down in front of a PC and read for 30+ hours, this isn't for you. But if that doesn't bother you, and jumping into a VN is something you might want to do, while my limited experience with them doesn't allow me to recommend anything else, this is certainly one I can say was a great jumping on point for me, instantly propelling itself into my pantheon of best games and fictional works.
Last edited by piratepwnsninja; 01-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.
sixclaws
(12-31-2016, 10:52 PM)
Reserving.
I want to actually make a good dent in my backlog, since I think I only beat like 15 games in 2016. Played way too much Overwatch.

1: Virginia (Steam) - 1.5 hours
Really loved the art style, but the constant story cuts and the last third of the story really soured my opinion of the game.

2: God Eater Resurrection (Steam) - Not sure on hours
Well, technically only beat the main story for God Eater 1, haven't finished the extra content added in Resurrection and Burst. God Eater is a really fun Monster Hunter clone, now if only the Steam version had working 4 player coop......

3: Ys 1 (Steam) - 6 hours
Finally beat my first Ys game, despite picking up all the Steam ports Day 1. Interesting game, but the combat and the fact that without a guide I'd never have figured out certain sections means I didn't quite like it as much as I expected. (Side note: There is a bug in the Steam version which causes boss fights to be harder if you have your refresh rate higher than 60hz.)

4: Refunct (Steam) - 20 minutes
A really short but fun first person platforming game.

5: Yakuza 5 (PS3) - 59 hours
A good entry in the Yakuza series, but really suffers from bad story pacing. Every time it felt like the story was starting to ramp up, you switched to a different o-playable character and the story slowed to a crawl until it got interesting again and then you switched again. Surprised this one had that issue, since Yakuza 4 also had multiple characters but I don't remember it having the same story pacing issues. Side note, meant to only do the storyline as I wanted to beat this before Yakuza 0 came out, and instead ended up doing almost all the side content.......

6. Overwatch (PC) - way too much time
Not actually done playing the game, but considering I've put at least 30 hours and we're only 1.5 months into the year, pretty sure this game should be here.

7. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile) - ???
Pretty fun mobile version of Fire Emblem, just wish the story stuff was actually there outside of maybe 10 lines per chapter. Also after a certain point if you don't have 5 star characters you can't complete some maps.

8. Sniper Elite 3 (PC) - 9 hours
Playing through in coop was fun, but the difficulty spikes were insane and the checkpoint system was terrible.

9. Breath of Death VII (PC) - 4 hours
Small, decent parody of Dragon Quest.

10. ABZU (PC) - ~4 hours
Gorgeous looking game. I'm a real sucker for underwater games.

11. LIT (PC) - 1 hour
Didn't enjoy it that much as a puzzle game.

12. Loot Hero DX (PC) - 2 hour
A very simple side scroller action clicker type game.

13. Tap Heroes (PC) - 6 hours
Clicker game.

14. Plantera (PC) - 6 hours
Clicker game.

15. Nier: Automata (PC) - 23 hours for Ending A

16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - over 40 hours
Last edited by sixclaws; Today at 05:56 AM.
daebo
(12-31-2016, 10:56 PM)
Reserve

I've failed many times over the last couple years. But, I've actually beat 4 games in the last 6 weeks of the year... Hope to keep that ball rolling. I'm putting FFXIV as my number 1 - and continuing time growing. I'll start fresh for 2017.

2017:

1: Final Fantasy XIV - DURATION PLAYED
When playing with friends, kind of my favorite game ever.

2: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE

3: NAME - DURATION PLAYED
# INSERT INFO AND COMMENTS HERE
Last edited by daebo; 12-31-2016 at 10:59 PM.
II-Vanguard-II
(12-31-2016, 11:01 PM)
II-Vanguard-II - 9/52 games

Games

1: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
2. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
3. Mega Man
4. Mega Man 2
5. The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 1
6. Gears Of War: Ultimate Edition
7. Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban
8. One Night Stand
9. Night in the Woods
Last edited by II-Vanguard-II; 03-22-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Icelight
(12-31-2016, 11:02 PM)
Going to give this a try this year and see how far I get.

I mainly play JRPGs so...probably not far :P
LordKano
(12-31-2016, 11:03 PM)
I did 35 games last year, I wonder how I'll make this time.

I'll start with less time, as I won't be able to play anything until the end of the month.
mrgone
(12-31-2016, 11:10 PM)
2016's challenge ended early!? I just finished dumping my spreadsheet into post-able text and found out the hard way that the old thread's closed. On me for leaving it to the last day, but it's like completing a marathon and finding out everyone's gone home.

So here's my 2017 post, I guess.
daemissary
(12-31-2016, 11:12 PM)
I'll try! I've been slacking recently so I could use the motivation.

Finished: 1) Assassin's Creed 2
2) Batman Arkham Asylum
3) Walking Dead Season 1
4) Bastion
5) Tales from the Borderlands
6) Resident Evil 7
7) Mirror's Edge Catalyst
8) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
9) FTL
10) I Am Setsuna

Currently playing: Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls, Horizon: Zero Dawn

Upcoming: Doom, Walking Dead season 2, Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, Batman Arkham City
Last edited by daemissary; 03-19-2017 at 06:51 PM.
LiquidSolid
(12-31-2016, 11:18 PM)
I doubt I'll get close to 52 this year but I guess I'll reserve a main post anyway and see what happens.

Currently Playing
  • Steins;Gate (PSV)

Updates

Beaten
  1. Nothing so far
Glass Rebel
(12-31-2016, 11:53 PM)
Very likely won't even come close to finishing this because I am taking part in the 50 books & 50 movies challenge which is my priority but here we go.

Currently playing:

- Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition

Beaten:

Desi
(12-31-2016, 11:55 PM)
Think I stopped at 28 in 2016. back in for 2017
orthodoxy1095
Banned
(01-01-2017, 12:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Minishdriveby

Look forward to seeing you here and in the 50 Books 50 Movies thread!

Cheers mate. Hopefully it'll be another good year of completing fun stuff! :)
data
(01-01-2017, 12:12 AM)
Reserved~~

1. F.E.A.R. - 7.9 hrs (PC) ★★★☆
# This game holds up very well except for the HID thing that reduces your FPS to a crawl. There was a lot of attention to detail, and the bullet time mechanic is really fun if you combine it with the shotgun and just splatter enemy after enemy. Grenades were also satisfying to use in this game for some reason. It's also not too scary, just enough that you're a bit nervous at times but not so scary that I had to take breaks every 2 minutes. Story was sort of weird. I couldn't really follow it.
JAN 11

2. Life is Strange - 17 hrs (PC) ★★★★
# Man, this was one hell of a ride. I'd say chapters 1 to 4 is a rollercoasting going up, and then chapter 5 is where the rollercoaster goes down really fast. The writing was really cringe-worthy, I felt like at times it was subtracting from my enjoyment. It could be funny now and then but most of the times it was just bad. Majority of the text messages were really well done though, they feel like it would legitimately be what people would say in text. The bottle collection part was terrible tho. And the faces were really awkward. It felt like there were only 3 emotions: lips smiling, lips neutral, lips frowning. Besides those things I feel like this is a pretty good game. It's just one of those experiences I don't think I'll ever have again.
JAN 12

3. Tower of Guns - 43 mins (PC) ★★☆
# So, I really like the foundation this game lies down. I like that it's not scared of overpowering you or anything, but the game looks pretty bad and boring and the gameplay could be more refined. I'm very interested in their sequel to this though.
FEB 10

4. Blue Estate - 3.6 hrs (PC) ★★★
# A pretty fun rails shooter, the dialogue was funny at times and I liked that it didn't take itself seriously at all. Some things were quite annoying though, like the chihuahua and Tony's hair interrupting you in the middle of the action. Might replay it, but probably not soon.
FEB 14

5. SUPERHOT - 3.6 hrs (PC) ★★★☆
# It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years.
It's decent, I like that it does something new, but I really wish they didn't put in the focus or whatever it's called mechanic. The last part of the mission was a REAL pain to finish but was pretty satisfying to finally get it. Seeing your replays in real time is a pretty cool thing. Game's just well designed all around and stays true to its aesthetic throughout the entire game.
FEB 14

6. eden* - 7.7 hrs (PC) ★★★
# It's decent, most of the start and middle did not get me very interested, I quite liked the end though. Lots of nice music, though the MC character design is pretty bad.
FEB 15

7. To The Moon - 5 hrs (PC) ★★★
# It's not as good as I was expecting it to be, especially the first hour, which I found to be a drag. The music and writing are quite nice though and the more you play the more you find yourself liking it.
MAR 5

8. Game Corp DX - 2.6 hrs (PC) ★★
# It's sort of entertaining. No depth at all though, or replayability. It's also really easy.
MAR 5
Last edited by data; 03-05-2017 at 04:12 PM.