• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Neptonic
(01-10-2017, 10:49 PM)
I might have to buy this now to fuck up some buggers.
Maintenance
(01-10-2017, 10:51 PM)
I know someone that plays this game religiously, he is probably ecstatic about this.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(01-10-2017, 10:54 PM)
Definitely written by someone with little actual knowledge of what's going on with the game or why some of those buffs came through.

But I won't spoil the fun. I wish the Gunship really did get 4 new weapons hardpoints :(
il Diavolo
(01-10-2017, 10:55 PM)
this is really cool
Mikey Jr.
(01-10-2017, 11:01 PM)
So is this game you see other people like an MMO? Or is it single player?

How does this game work with other people is what I'm mainly interested in.
Burny
(01-10-2017, 11:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

So is this game you see other people like an MMO? Or is it single player?

How does this game work with other people is what I'm mainly interested in.

It consists of dynamically instanced areas. If you enter an area in "Open" mode and the backend determines there are other players there with suitable connection to you, you get matched into their instance, where one of them is the 'server' player. Or you form a new instance with you as server player. You can have about a dozen players in an instance, although there have been sometimes up to 50 iirc..

Solo mode works the same in terms of areas, only you'll never see another player.

Instance transitions are handled with different travel modes. Supercruise is free ftl travel within a star system and its own instance. Normal flight is WW2 planes in space, the way you interact with stations, other ships and planet surfaces. Also happens in its own instance. Hyperjump is a loading screen transporting you between two systems and drops you into supercruise in the target system.

There is no NPC persistence between instances. The game works like GTA in that regard: It'll only spawn 'volatile' things (ships, POIs) around you in your instance.
Last edited by Burny; 01-10-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Basileus777
(01-10-2017, 11:13 PM)
This analysis of the patch notes is the video game equivalent of those pop science articles that completely misinterpret things to maximize storytelling.
Kaji AF16
(01-10-2017, 11:33 PM)
I am really from Buenos Aires, I bought Elite Dangerous yesterday hyped by the alien sightings. Should I play easy, solo missions at first? What options do I have to get up to date with a respectable ship and economy?
MiniBossBattle
(01-10-2017, 11:39 PM)
But I am a space trucker. Ship cargo, not war.
mysocksarepink
(01-10-2017, 11:39 PM)
what's a good starter HOTAS? (I want it for VR!)
Serrato
(01-10-2017, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by mysocksarepink

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X

For the price, it's the best you can get.
Urthor
(01-10-2017, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by mysocksarepink

T16000M FCS. The new orange one is about 100 dollars and is a bargain for its price. Older Hotas X model is even cheaper and is still very good, majority of players use it.

Official forums are hilarious pacifist over this. Want to be nice to the Thargoids and not shoot them.

Originally Posted by Kaji AF16

I am really from Buenos Aires, I bought Elite Dangerous yesterday hyped by the alien sightings. Should I play easy, solo missions at first? What options do I have to get up to date with a respectable ship and economy?

Best answer is joining a player group who can give you the knowledge and explain the unexplained mechanics FDEV doesn't exactly publish, as well as the top cash exploits going around. Adamant Toads is my suggestion but there are others.
Last edited by Urthor; 01-10-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Forerunner
(01-10-2017, 11:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Serrato

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X

For the price, it's the best you can get.

This is the GOAT when it comes to price and quality. Mine is about two years old now and still working great.
XiaNaphryz
LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(01-10-2017, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Urthor

T16000M FCS. The new orange one is about 100 dollars and is a bargain for its price. Older Hotas X model is even cheaper and is still very good, majority of players use it.

I think the T16000M FCS is like 45% off on Amazon. Dunno if it's still in stock.
corin7
(01-10-2017, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Ferrio

I have a Vive, I have Elite, I have a Hotas and I have yet to hook all these up together yet. I really need to fix this...

You absolutely should. I picked up a hotas and finally got around to playing it in the Rift over the holiday and it was a total game changer. Twice the game.
Skyfireblaze
(01-10-2017, 11:57 PM)
Awesome patch-notes! :D Is the patch up yet? :o
MickeyKnox
(01-10-2017, 11:57 PM)
Time to break out the HOTAS, Vive and get back to my Vulture a d Python
Mik2121
Platinum Member
(01-10-2017, 11:58 PM)
*sigh*

Booting up Elite Dangerous VR in a bit, ok, ok...

Too bad I always do cargo and go around so slowly that I've barely gotten any money on me. Wonder what'd be the fastest way to gather money to purchase a nice ship. Right now I'm stuck with a Cobra Mk. III because I'm mid-upgrade to a Type 7 or 9 one day.
Neolombax
(01-11-2017, 12:32 AM)
Cant wait for this to come to the PS4!
Cameron122
(01-11-2017, 12:34 AM)
FOR THE EMPIRE
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(01-11-2017, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Skyfireblaze

Awesome patch-notes! :D Is the patch up yet? :o

yes
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling
(01-11-2017, 12:45 AM)
If you are on the fence about a HOTAS setup I say go for it. Adds so much to the experience playing these type of games.
Skyfireblaze
(01-11-2017, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Dreams-Visions

yes

Oh nice, I was asking because I didn't notice Elite doing any patching.
Adnor
(01-11-2017, 12:57 AM)
Got the game a few days ago and man it's pretty.

Will I need the Horizon expansion pack for all the alien stuff?
AJLma
(01-11-2017, 01:03 AM)
Sounds like I'll be jumping back in, probably tonight. Haven't touched the game in about 8 months, so it should be quite a bit better than the last time I played.And it was pretty great then.
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(01-11-2017, 01:04 AM)

Originally Posted by mojojoeo

GODDAMN BUGS WHACKED US JOHNNY

Just goes to show, the only good bug is a dead bug.
GuitarAtomik
(01-11-2017, 01:08 AM)
Alright. I really need to get back in to this game.
Hippolnareff
(01-11-2017, 01:15 AM)
Hang on, it says "arms race". But then the text says that the patch is improving these ships' combat specifics? So it's an artificial arms race, the developers are preparing people - it's not a reaction by the playerbase.
Omadahl
(01-11-2017, 01:20 AM)
Hmmmmm.... I have a HOTAS collecting dust. Should I jump in?
Trogdor1123
(01-11-2017, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by aeolist

i'm from buenos aires and i say KILL EM ALL

hahah, I was thinking this exactly!
Trogdor1123
(01-11-2017, 01:23 AM)

Originally Posted by PIMPBYBLUD

Yes it's coming to PS4 in Q2 this year

Is it going to include all the DLC?
Kayhan
(01-11-2017, 01:28 AM)
GAF getting drafted left and right.
PIMPBYBLUD
(01-11-2017, 01:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Trogdor1123

Is it going to include all the DLC?

I'm not sure if it's confirmed but I believe they are going to roll in Horizons into the base game, if that remains true then yes.
Burny
(01-11-2017, 04:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Adnor

Will I need the Horizon expansion pack for all the alien stuff?

"All" would include anything on a planet surface ("The Guardian" ruins, barnacles, crashed ships => watching mostly static assets that is), so yes. Don't know if it's confirmed, but the recent randomly spawned and scripted ship encounters should in theory be experiencable with just the base game.
Last edited by Burny; 01-11-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Gothos
(01-11-2017, 04:42 PM)
Well, YOLO. I got 27E in Steam wallet so went ahead and bought it. Mostly to check how it plays with mouse+KB. Thank god for refund :)
Militaratus
Banned
(01-11-2017, 04:49 PM)
Count me in as ready and willing to drop $60, now where can I buy it on the PS Store?
AbortedWalrusFetus
(01-11-2017, 04:55 PM)
Yeah I played when it first came out and played for quite a bit of time. I got a little bored because things got stale for me, but when I heard the news about the Thargoids last week I jumped back in. Lots of changes, but it seems like there's a bit more variety on what to do while playing now. Having fun and glad I bought Horizons. Excited for the alien stuff!
Burny
(01-11-2017, 04:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Gothos

Mostly to check how it plays with mouse+KB.

Actually, as good or better as with any HOTAS out there. Provided you (can/want to) put in the time to reconfigure the utter rubbish default layout and the hour or two to get halfway competent at it. The real reasons to return it usually only become apparent after the return time Steam grants has passed. :p

Originally Posted by Militaratus

Count me in as ready and willing to drop $60, now where can I buy it on the PS Store?

The question is when and has been answered somewhere above: Sometime '17 Q2, according to what's been announced.
Last edited by Burny; 01-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
LegalEagleMike
(01-11-2017, 04:59 PM)
So is this game similar to the old privateer games? If so I might have to jump in.
Anton Sugar
(01-11-2017, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Not Spaceghost

This is wrong, the ships in question didn't get more weapon hardpoints they got more optional internal slots and on top of that I think the Gunship only got 2 class 4 optional internals which I think are restricted to only fitting certain modules anyway. Lol if it had 3 fucking class 4 weapon slots on top of it's SEVEN HARD POINTS that would actually just flat out give it more fire power than the anaconda.

Kind of a strange reaction to the patch honestly, a lot of these things are things people have been complaining about for ages, haulers being too squishy, engineer's requiring commodities, not enough weapon diversity so they buffed a bunch of them, and the vipers generally just losing their purpose because they were too clumsy.

Yeah, definitely some misinterpreting here. Military module slots allow additional hull reinforcement packages, module reinforcement packages, or shield cell banks. They don't allow additional weapons.
thelurkinghorror
(01-11-2017, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by LegalEagleMike

So is this game similar to the old privateer games? If so I might have to jump in.

Absolutely yes. And now is a very good time to jump in
Jaded Alyx
(01-11-2017, 05:09 PM)
One of the few games I ever refunded on Steam :(

Not doubting the quality at all but If I recall correctly, I didn't like the controls/movement...or something. Plus there's always this weird disconnect between how fast it seems you're going vs your real speed in games like this. I think I got frustrated VERY early on.

But I want to try it again...
Baron Von Beans
(01-11-2017, 05:11 PM)
This is incredible. I don't have a PC capabale of running this. Nor do I have an XBone. But the concept of this, and the ever developing story behind it is amazing.

Can everybody just cool it on war stuff until it comes out on ps4 plz? Kthx.
RefigeKru
(01-11-2017, 05:11 PM)

Originally Posted by PIMPBYBLUD

Yes it's coming to PS4 in Q2 this year

God, I'm so poor. So many games to buy.
Burny
(01-11-2017, 05:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

Not doubting the quality at all but If I recall correctly, I didn't like the controls/movement...or something. Plus there's always this weird disconnect between how fast it seems you're going vs your real speed in games like this. I think I got frustrated VERY early on.

Hehe, you got that backwards. ;)

As I said to the other poster above, the controls are not the issue, it's just that the default layout for m+k is rubbish and much of the learning curve early on has to do with learning ship behaviour and controls.

The game's most glaring issues are quality of the game design in far too many areas (partly shallow, partly grindy, partly broken etc.). But you will only really appreciate those issues once you're over the controll learning curve. Doesn't mean you can not love it despite those issues, but the issues are undeniably there.
Souzetsu
(01-11-2017, 05:24 PM)
As someone that bought the game for $60 in January 2015, do I still have to pay for Horizons? Or was it added because I bought it early? I haven't kept up with the games development at all.
frontieruk
(01-11-2017, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Burny

It consists of dynamically instanced areas. If you enter an area in "Open" mode and the backend determines there are other players there with suitable connection to you, you get matched into their instance, where one of them is the 'server' player. Or you form a new instance with you as server player. You can have about a dozen players in an instance, although there have been sometimes up to 50 iirc..

I think the record was over 100
Burny
(01-11-2017, 05:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Souzetsu

As someone that bought the game for $60 in January 2015, do I still have to pay for Horizons? Or was it added because I bought it early? I haven't kept up with the games development at all.

Yes, unfortunately. Buying the releases early meant paying full price both for the base game and for the Horizons "season pass".
Souzetsu
(01-11-2017, 05:30 PM)

Yes, unfortunately. Buying the releases early meant paying full price both for the base game and for the Horizons "season pass".

Okay, thanks. I wanted to make sure of what exactly I have.
Anton Sugar
(01-11-2017, 05:33 PM)

You got a $15 discount on the expansion if you own the base game.