• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Berordn
(01-17-2017, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by AcademicSaucer

that doesnt make sense, I bet is digital only for PS4

Might not be, given the weird license situation for Tetris. Could be Ubisoft holds digital rights for Xbox One and PS4 still, but didn't license for the Switch.
SalvaPot
(01-17-2017, 05:04 PM)
So the limited release with the keychains is this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Chorazin
(01-17-2017, 09:02 PM)

Originally Posted by SalvaPot

So the limited release with the keychains is this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah, it sounds like all pressings for the foreseeable future have the keychains.
Toadthemushroom
Banned
(01-17-2017, 09:09 PM)
So, er, who's publishing this in Europe? Deep Silver? Sega? Hmmm.
Vibed
(01-17-2017, 09:15 PM)
How does Fusion mode play?
Sixfortyfive
He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
(01-17-2017, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Vibed

How does Fusion mode play?

Here's a sample video of most modes. That mode is labeled as "Mix" in this video.

The combo system in this particular mode can really be abused if you're quick enough.
Last edited by Sixfortyfive; 01-17-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Raitaro
(01-17-2017, 10:24 PM)
Quite an unexpected localization for sure, but I'm definitely not complaining. I did buy the Japanese version at some point but never played it all that much because of having to look up menu translations everytime so I'll definitely double dip or perhaps even triple dip (for PS4 and Switch) so I can more easily play it with others.

Hopefully this also increases the chances of that 3D Classics release for Puyo Puyo 2 as well as Puyo Puyo Chronicle on 3DS getting a release outside of Japan.

(Now if only Nintendo themselves could try and find a way to do something with the Tetris Attack IP again or with that awesome Snes Tetris & Dr. Mario crossover that used similar mix and match modes as Puyo Puyo Tetris. Or would both of them be stuck under Ubisoft's digital Tetris rights unlike this game?)
NOLA_Gaffer
(01-17-2017, 10:27 PM)
I'm terrible at setting up the bigger Puyo Puyo chains but goddamn if I'm not excited to add this to my Switch library.
Peltz
(01-17-2017, 10:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Guymelef

Damn... looks like I'm going to need to grab this one early.

By the way, this game makes me really wish Switch came with a D-Pad. Such a mistake, Nintendo.
The_Dama
(01-17-2017, 10:28 PM)
Does the game have a regular Tetris mode?

Has the Ubi tetris game been patched?
Aostia
Banned
(01-17-2017, 10:30 PM)
Is this confirmed for EU too?
NOLA_Gaffer
(01-17-2017, 10:30 PM)
No images of the keychains I assume?
Kouriozan
(01-17-2017, 10:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Aostia

Is this confirmed for EU too?

Yes.
Aostia
Banned
(01-17-2017, 10:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Kouriozan

Yes.

Wait, was the title topic already that before?
I am stupid

Thank you. This and Bomberman smell "Japanese Renaissance" to me
RedToad64
(01-18-2017, 01:29 AM)
I was under the impression that this was a Switch launch game. Am I incorrect?
Izuna
Banned
(01-18-2017, 01:31 AM)

Originally Posted by marc^o^

Confirmation: there is a 4P mode on the tablet. This is tiny, yet big news to me.

Or... That's a trailer image which could also show 2CPU
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(01-18-2017, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by RedToad64

GS is saying May 2nd, Amazon says May 23rd.

Guessing it's sometime in May (that would fit the "Spring" release window), but no, this will not launch on the same day as the Switch.

.........also omg, next month marks the fact this originally came out in Japan THREE YEARS AGO.
vanty
(01-18-2017, 02:01 AM)

Originally Posted by RedToad64

Launch game in Japan. April or May for the rest of the world.
bman94
(01-18-2017, 03:19 AM)
Anybody who's played this? Is it worth $40?
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(01-18-2017, 04:00 AM)

Originally Posted by bman94

I imported the Vita version for $30ish (it was the "special price" version, i.e. the re-release) & was pleased with my purchase. If you like either game, then it's worth playing, especially on the go.

$40 might seem a bit much, but considering it's for physical + bonus keychains + being able to take it on the go with 2P ready at any time, I'd say it's worth it on the Switch, especially for a system that'll barely be 2 months old & will probably want something else to go with Zelda or Bomberman.

Also, based on the trailer, it sounds like Sega took the time/money to actually dub the game, meaning I can't wait to hear the Story Mode in English & trying to explain this silly crossover.
RedToad64
(01-18-2017, 04:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Zonic

GS is saying May 2nd, Amazon says May 23rd.

Guessing it's sometime in May (that would fit the "Spring" release window), but no, this will not launch on the same day as the Switch.

.........also omg, next month marks the fact this originally came out in Japan THREE YEARS AGO.

Originally Posted by vanty

Launch game in Japan. April or May for the rest of the world.

Ah, launch day in Japan. This isn't as close as I hoped. Hmm... might have to pick up Bomberman then...
Haines
(01-18-2017, 04:33 AM)
Seems like a great switch game but I will def be waiting for a sale.
bman94
(01-18-2017, 04:42 AM)

I imported the Vita version for $30ish (it was the "special price" version, i.e. the re-release) & was pleased with my purchase. If you like either game, then it's worth playing, especially on the go.

$40 might seem a bit much, but considering it's for physical + bonus keychains + being able to take it on the go with 2P ready at any time, I'd say it's worth it on the Switch, especially for a system that'll barely be 2 months old & will probably want something else to go with Zelda or Bomberman.

Also, based on the trailer, it sounds like Sega took the time/money to actually dub the game, meaning I can't wait to hear the Story Mode in English & trying to explain this silly crossover.

There's an actual story mode to this?
VRMN
(01-18-2017, 04:46 AM)

There's an actual story mode to this?

Yeah. Puyo Puyo games have a tradition of having a story mode, Sega just made Tetris characters in the same mold and had them invade the Puyo Puyo universe.
Zonic
Gives all the fucks
(01-18-2017, 08:34 AM)
There's a character named Satan.

...who has a crush on Arle, who was one of the first protagonists of the Puyo Puyo games.

......also there's a fish with legs because why not.
WhyMe6
(01-18-2017, 08:47 AM)
Does anyone have a link to a good video explaining the game basics and the different game modes? I've tried searching but have been less than successful finding a comprehensive one.
Phillips455
(01-18-2017, 08:59 AM)
So, is their anyplace in the UK that has performed orders up for this? All I see online is imports of the Japanese versions and none for the switch.
Occam
(01-18-2017, 09:02 AM)

The lack of a d-pad on the standard Switch controller is going to be painful.
What were they thinking?
vanty
(01-18-2017, 09:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Occam

What were they thinking?

That more people would be interested in two people playing multiplayer with the two joy-cons than the amount of people that think a d-pad is important. For the sort of people who are NeoGAF members it's disappointing but also I totally understand Nintendo's decision.

Maybe a d-pad joy-con will be shown whenever they reveal what Virtual Console is for Switch. I'd buy it day one as long as VC is the vast improvement we all hope it is.
Chorazin
(01-18-2017, 02:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Occam

What were they thinking?

99% of people that play this game will never have the skill level that would absolutely NEED a d-pad. It played just fine with the circle pad on my JN3DS.
Dachande
(01-18-2017, 02:14 PM)

If you're only going to play single player, maybe not. If you have friends or a SO to play with, then absolutely.

Originally Posted by Izuna

Or... That's a trailer image which could also show 2CPU

You can just about make out "3P" and "4P" on the rightmost fields, but to be honest my concern is that the image is photoshopped and 4-player tablet mode doesn't actually make it into the game.

It'd be weird not to support 4 players in TV mode, and AFAIK all games have to have the same functionality in tablet mode, so it seems more likely to be in than not, but it's worry in the back of my head.

Originally Posted by WhyMe6

Does anyone have a link to a good video explaining the game basics and the different game modes? I've tried searching but have been less than successful finding a comprehensive one.

Scroll up, watch the full video. (P.S. Swap mode all day long)
Last edited by Dachande; 01-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Zhao_Yun
(01-18-2017, 02:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Toadthemushroom

So, er, who's publishing this in Europe? Deep Silver? Sega? Hmmm.

Deep Silver is.
WEGGLES
(01-18-2017, 02:27 PM)
I generally don't preorder games, but given this is a limited physical release on ps4, I figured I may as well. Love me some puzzle games! Can not wait for this!
LukasTaves
(01-18-2017, 02:30 PM)

Originally Posted by N.Domixis

What did you expect? The game is Japanese and probably did terrible in Japan on Xbox no point in bringing it over.

Of course it did terrible in Japan which is why it makes sense to bring it overseas. Specially since you know the game is done already.
LukasTaves
(01-18-2017, 02:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Grim Patron

Because the minimum order for physical release is highest on Xbox One by a big margin (I've heard 75k or 50k a few times and a few people saying 200k) compared to other platforms. PS4 they can do whatever print run they want and it will no doubt sell more than Xbox One would. On Xbox if they were confident they could sell that many, they would do it. Vita they could've done if they wanted becasue you can do a smaller print run. Licensing was for physical only.

For Switch since it is a new license (I assume) they could add digital and it is digital also on Switch.

Wait, this is serious? How on earth they feel like having a minimum print this high? (50k should be play, I'm stunned by the 200k figure)
wwm0nkey
(01-18-2017, 02:39 PM)
Sad this isn't a launch title :(
Apparition
(01-18-2017, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Dachande

You can just about make out "3P" and "4P" on the rightmost fields, but to be honest my concern is that the image is photoshopped and 4-player tablet mode doesn't actually make it into the game.

According to the Japanese website, both TV and Tabletop modes support 1-4 players while mobile mode supports 1 player. Local and online multiplayer modes also support up to 4.
Dr Thor
(01-18-2017, 02:46 PM)

If you played Puyo Puyo once or twice, and have a mild fondness for Tetris, yes -- especially if you have anyone to play with.

If you *love* Puyo and Tetris, as I do, it's worth three times that. So much fun to be had in this package.
Starwolf_UK
(01-18-2017, 03:20 PM)

There's a character named Satan.

...who has a crush on Arle, who was one of the first protagonists of the Puyo Puyo games.

......also there's a fish with legs because why not.

I just watched the trailer in slow motion to see if any of the players highlighted him on the character select screen. They did not :( I don't know if anywhere else showed his name but previously his name was localised to Dark Prince instead.

The crush plotline was from the first game released which featured Arle; Madou Monogatari episode 2* (Puyo Puyo was originally a spin-off that uses the same world and characters of that franchise; kind of like Mario Kart is to Super Mario...except this is a weird universe where only Mario Kart games are made now, rarely localised and for some reason half the cast was replaced with original characters following similar archetypes but these have slowly been reverted back yeah analogies aren't my strong point and I'm probably preaching to the converted).

*-Yes episode 2 came out before episode 1 (at least according to the MSX release dates on Puyo Nexus).
The Bankslammer
(01-18-2017, 03:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Starwolf_UK

I just watched the trailer in slow motion to see if any of the players highlighted him on the character select screen. They did not :( I don't know if anywhere else showed his name but previously his name was localised to Dark Prince instead.

It's back to Dark Prince. Kinda funny after English Sonic Runners stuck with "Satan" for the Puyo collab event.
sir_bumble_bee
(01-18-2017, 03:37 PM)
Guys, Switch games in handheld/tabletop mode have zero differences outside of graphical features, that's the whole point of the console. I will gladly eat crow if that's somehow someway not the case
Genghis Khan
(01-18-2017, 04:02 PM)
I just preordered it. I've never played it before, I don't even really know what Puyo is. But you all seem excited about it and it's a limited Switch release - preorders and one print, and that's it. I have a feeling you can't wait for a sale on it if you really want the physical game.

Happily put $5 down to give me the option when it comes out.
Toadthemushroom
Banned
(01-18-2017, 04:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Zhao_Yun

Deep Silver is.

Ah cool, hopefully it gets a boxed release on Switch over here.
Begbie
(01-18-2017, 04:19 PM)
Not sure if this was covered but any idea how big the Switch game boxes are.. they look thinner so maybe the same size as Vita games?
Toadthemushroom
Banned
(01-18-2017, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Begbie

Not sure if this was covered but any idea how big the Switch game boxes are.. they look thinner so maybe the same size as Vita games?

Seem taller, almost as tall as DVD cases?

Originally Posted by PhoReal

Saw this on Twitter:

Kouriozan
(01-18-2017, 04:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Haines

Seems like a great switch game but I will def be waiting for a sale.

Honestly it's well worth the $30 digital price, but depends on how you value puzzle games.
balohna
(01-18-2017, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Toadthemushroom

Seem taller, almost as tall as DVD cases?

Not sure if it was to scale, but I think I saw an image of both BOTW boxes side-by-side. The Switch box was the same height as the Wii U box, just narrower.
LucidMomentum
(01-18-2017, 04:38 PM)
I haven't had a portable Puyo Puyo since I imported Fever 2 on the DS and had to make a cheat sheet of menu translations.

FUCK I AM SO HYPE.
Apparition
(01-19-2017, 02:25 AM)

Originally Posted by balohna

Not sure if it was to scale, but I think I saw an image of both BOTW boxes side-by-side. The Switch box was the same height as the Wii U box, just narrower.

This is from Nintendo's website, not sure if it is to scale, however.

Janet Restrepo
Banned
(01-19-2017, 02:29 AM)
I have a PS4 Pro, but I get the feeling I'm going to be buying quite a few multi-plats for Switch just for handheld mode, and also because the Pro controller is great (if it's anything like the Wii U Pro).