• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Renekton
(01-28-2017, 12:34 PM)
http://www.glixel.com/news/why-mass-...n-2017-w463105

First of all, epic, narrative-driven, single-player video games are on the decline. They’re not quite a dying artform, but they’re certainly endangered. Games like Mass Effect and Uncharted require vast development teams with enormous art and animation divisions to generate the detailed visual assets necessary in the 4K UHD era.

But most of all, the reason Andromeda is an important game, is that it's hopeful. For the last few years, most big sci-fi titles have been about withdrawal and attrition: Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Destiny, Titanfall – they depict humanity on the back foot, always struggling to survive in smaller and smaller spaces. Andromeda on the other hand is about exploration and expansion. In many ways it harks back to the great science fiction novels of the Fifties and Sixties from the likes of Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke in which gigantic spacecraft vanish along glittering hyperspace lanes to distant galaxies; where alien worlds are discovered and colonized, against the odds.

Happy Lunar New Year! :)
sphinx
the piano man
(01-28-2017, 12:35 PM)
personally, Horizon and Zelda, say "fuck no"
Kenzodielocke
(01-28-2017, 12:36 PM)
There are a lot of single player driven games coming out, and came out very recently. They're just more or less niche.

And Mass Effect will probably be full of microtransactions anyway, they'll be fine.
Soulflarz
(01-28-2017, 12:36 PM)
So many other games this year that I'd give the title to first regardless of his reasonings.

Hell, barely into Yakuza 0 and I think it's going to be better.

I dunno, prerelease lists of why something is great are weird to me.
Infest
(01-28-2017, 12:37 PM)
"But most of all, the reason Andromeda is an important game, is that it's hopeful. "
Ni No Kuni II says hi. :)
JackelZXA

Originally Posted by sphinx

My first response was gonna be NieR: Automata.

TBH I'm not as hype for this game as I was for the past 3 games. I must have played all 3 almost two dozen times, but something about this game doesn't seem like a Mass Effect game so far. I'm getting a "Rogue: One - A Star Wars Story" vibe from this.
Stilton Disco
Shame it's so very bland and 'made by committee' looking then.

I'm honestly expecting it to be this years first major AAA bomb.
Dark Cloud
I'm still not seeing the reason why it's the "most important game of 2017"...I did even know there was such a thing.
Cerium
(01-28-2017, 12:38 PM)
Bustanen
Most disappointing game of 2017 is more likely.
Aztechnology

Originally Posted by Stilton Disco

Shame it's so very bland and 'made by committee's looking then.

I'm honestly expecting it to be this years first major AAA bomb.

There is no way that Mass Effect bombs lol. The people in it for the MP alone is probably quite significant.

I won't even read the article based on those snippets though.
Bjoern the Smexy
(01-28-2017, 12:39 PM)
Personally I say Zelda, Mario and God of War will be the most important games this year.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a welcome addition to the franchise, but there are other games and franchises which are more important overall.
StrongBlackVine
Add Red Dead Redemption 2 to that list. Yeah it has multiplayer, but so does Mass Effect Andromeda.
Last edited by StrongBlackVine; 01-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.
The Emperor
Well 'single player rpg' wise FFXV just came out to series high sales in the West.

In regards to the sci fi talk the article has, I feel it's very contrived lol.
TheDinoman
I always felt that Red Dead Redemption 2 was gonna be the big release of this year.
Nabbis

Originally Posted by Bustanen

Most disappointing game of 2017 is more likely.

I hope im wrong but this is how i see it as well.
sphinx
the piano man
(01-28-2017, 12:40 PM)

Originally Posted by JackelZXA

My first response was gonna be NieR: Automata

or that... or Mario Odyssey or... other games mentioned already

2017 is very likely going to be the best gaming year in a decade.

Touting your game as "the most important" is ludicrous
mp1990
this article sure does overstate how good the writing in Bioware games is
Taruranto
<3 BioWare <3
I see the gaming press is starting to shill the next Bioware game earlier, this time.
brandonh83
Captain of the Blockbuster Defense Force
I think it's going to be really good.

I also think this header is completely ridiculous. That's about all.
m4st4

Originally Posted by Cerium

My first thought. Da fuck. How about you acknowledge some of the truly innovative games this year, instead of 'same old-same old, only prettier... somewhat'.
F-Pina
(01-28-2017, 12:41 PM)
This is the type of article where I wonder how much was paid for them to say this.
Vic20
I guess people have to write articles to make the rent situation work.
Reedirect
Yeah, I don't know.
Pif
(01-28-2017, 12:42 PM)

Originally Posted by sphinx

This.

Also Detroit, graphics and narrative wise, might be more complex than Mass Effect.
Twookie
yeah no i'm not sure i agree with that sir
Blobbers
I'm not sure how hopeful NieR can be seeing as it's made by Yoko Taro, and it's a NieR game
Spring-Loaded
(01-28-2017, 12:43 PM)
"Colonization is hopeful" threw me off for a bit
Turin Turambar
(01-28-2017, 12:43 PM)
It's nice to see he already played the game, right?
Auctopus
Banned
(01-28-2017, 12:44 PM)
If that second paragraph is their reasoning then I have no idea how that makes it the most important game of 2017. Glixel's initial output is reminding me of Nerdwriter - finding meaning where there is none.
Crankshaft
(01-28-2017, 12:45 PM)
Maybe they wrote that article before the cinematic "we got uh krogan" trailer dropped. Most cringe writing of 2017 is a more likely award than most important.
Llyrwenne
Completely disagree.

Especially with Horizon: Zero Dawn incoming. A big AAA game with a non-sexualized female protagonist that is being pushed hard by big publisher.
BrainZEROX
Says EA's marketing team. This game is everywhere and it really annoys me. The game may be good but the constant barrage of articles, tweets and re-tweets (Shinobi good dammit!), youtube videos makes it look bad in my eyes and highly suspicious regarding its merits. Stop!
TheRedSnifit
I dunno, to me it looks like it's going to be another mediocre cover shooter with a clunky stat system bolted on.
velociraptor
I personally have been less than impressed by all the recent footage and trailers. In some respects it looks worse than Mass Effect 2 and 3. The cinematics and mo-cap also look quite goofy.

I'm worried the gameplay will heavily suffer simply because there is so much emphasis on 'exploration'.
stilgar
(01-28-2017, 12:46 PM)

First of all, epic, narrative-driven, single-player video games are on the decline.

Really?
mp1990
(01-28-2017, 12:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Spring-Loaded

"Colonization is hopeful" threw me off for a bit

yeah i thought the same lol

and given Bioware track record i'm pretty sure the "message" will be some messed up shit like that
wapplew
(01-28-2017, 12:47 PM)
Play the last hope card already?
funkystudent
(01-28-2017, 12:47 PM)
I really do hope its a great success and continues to show the world that great single player games will be rewarded with success but I just dont have faith in EA and Bioware to not cut out major story beats and sell them as DLC or something.
Last edited by funkystudent; 01-28-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Kenzodielocke
(01-28-2017, 12:48 PM)

Originally Posted by stilgar

Really?

Well, on MS side it really is. And Nintendo barely has any of those?

Sony is probably the only one of the big three pushing this.
Salty Rice
Banned
(01-28-2017, 12:49 PM)
Its so important that i forget all the time that this game exists.

There are multiple games this year who are more important for these reasons than another PS3/360 looking Mass Effect game.

If anything 2017 is full of these kind of games that are so "important".
WadiumArcadium
(01-28-2017, 12:50 PM)

Originally Posted by velociraptor

I personally have been less than impressed by all the recent footage and trailers. In some respects it looks worse than Mass Effect 2 and 3. The cinematics and mo-cap also look quite goofy.

I'm worried the gameplay will heavily suffer simply because there is so much emphasis on 'exploration'.

It looks like there'll be more exploration that ME3 at least, what with the inclusion of the Nomad. Maybe ME2 as well.
oti xero
Headline aside, I do think it will be pretty important. After seeing all those franchises in decline in 2016, it will be interesting to see how Mass Effect will perform. They took their time with this one so franchise fatigue shouldn't be as big of an issue as it was with other sequels. Although everything they've show so far looks very samey.
FallenGrace
Lack of single...? Wut?

Like most of Sony's output are large narrative single player games....
shingi70
(01-28-2017, 12:54 PM)

Originally Posted by FallenGrace

Lack of single...? Wut?

Like most of Sony's output are large narrative single player games....

It's not hard to tell that writers means that type of game is on q downturn in the industry as a whole, regardless of Sony putting them out.

Reading the article and looking at Gaf is funny, you'd think Gaf of all places would be less drove by posts and understand that's it's an opinion piece.
tapedeck
Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
(01-28-2017, 12:54 PM)
Not for me it's not, that series is a snooze fest.
Tertullian
(01-28-2017, 12:55 PM)
If people want to argue that other games are more important, it would be nice to hear some actual reasons why. The headline doesn't say "best," it says "most impotant." Is something like Horizon really an important game, when it's just yet another 3rd person open world action game, even if it turns out to be great?

On the other hand, the article's arguments are nonsense.
  • Is there any actual evidence that epic narrative single-player games are on the decline, making ME Andromeda a kind of last bastion of the form? Did anyone actually count and see that fewer of those games come out every year, or that fewer are in development than ever before? Certainly not in the article. Sounds like horseshit.
  • Is there any reason to think that ME Andromeda's character drama is gonna be particularly good? Not in the promotional material we've seen so far.
  • Is there any good reason to believe that Andromeda is going to nail that hopeful, forward-looking sci-fi spirit? Again, not really, from the promotional material weve seen so far. (And is Arthur C. Clarke really a hopeful writer?)
RangerX
Banned
(01-28-2017, 12:56 PM)
Not understanding the lukewarm reception the game is getting here. Evetything I've seen looks amazing. My most anticipated game so far this year.
Nightengale
(01-28-2017, 12:56 PM)
Glixel's type of content are largely terrible, with the exception of its stellar interviews.
dyergram
(01-28-2017, 12:57 PM)
Haven't listened to the episode yet but I'd be surprised if john Davidson suggests a mobile game to be the most important game this year :p