• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Strings
Banned
(01-28-2017, 12:58 PM)
Eeeeehhh...

Originally Posted by Glixel

First of all, epic, narrative-driven, single-player video games are on the decline.

I'd even argue this is completely wrong.
Last edited by Strings; 01-28-2017 at 01:00 PM.
prag16
(01-28-2017, 12:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Tertullian

If people want to argue that other games are more important, it would be nice to hear some actual reasons why. The headline doesn't say "best," it says "most impotant." Is something like Horizon really an important game, when it's just yet another 3rd person open world action game, even if it turns out to be great?

On the other hand, the article's arguments are nonsense.

• Is there any actual evidence that epic narrative single-player games are on the decline, making ME Andromeda a kind of last bastion of the form? Did anyone actually count and see that fewer of those games come out every year, or that fewer are in development than ever before? Certainly not in the article. Sounds like horseshit.
  • Is there any reason to think that ME Andromeda's character drama is gonna be particularly good? Not in the promotional material we've seen so far.
  • Is there any good reason to believe that Andromeda is going to nail that hopeful, forward-looking sci-fi spirit? Again, not really, from the promotional material weve seen so far. (And is Arthur C. Clarke really a hopeful writer?)

Good post. The article is kind of shitty. But then again a great many posts in this topic are drive by shit posts.
Lionel Richie
(01-28-2017, 01:00 PM)
Will we have to endure many variations on the "single player videogames are dying" narrative on every big game that comes out? That's lazy journalism.
GodOnlyNose
It's like people read the thread title and didn't read the topic at all, amazing, they automatically got defensive of their favorite games.

It's important because for once we won't be doing the same tropey things in a Sci Fi action games. We aren't on the brink of having the human race wiped out, we are on the brink of discovering new things, new worlds new races.

I'm down, day one
Kayhan
Ehh....gaming think-pieces....

If I had more faith it is going to be more like the first game I would have been more onboard with the OP.
Last edited by Kayhan; 01-28-2017 at 01:03 PM.
SlasherJPC
Probably one of the few around GAF that loved my time with all three games. Super excited to see Mass effect take the leap to next gen. I want that feeling of adventure, space, sci-fi back again! I don't necessarily agree with the article as we do tend to have a decent ammount of single player experiences. Though in a time when people spend hours on a single game like Overwatch or Destiny. People want lots of replay out of their games and single player experiences do seem to be a harder thing to sell. Heck, can't tell you how many times I've read complaints about RE7 being short.
GasProblem
(01-28-2017, 01:01 PM)
I'm really excited for Andromeda, but dont really see it as 'most important'.
EmiPrime
I can think of at least 5 other story focused games coming out that same month that I'd rather play than Mass Effect Andromeda.
Renekton

Originally Posted by Tertullian

Is there any good reason to believe that Andromeda is going to nail that hopeful, forward-looking sci-fi spirit? Again, not really, from the promotional material weve seen so far. (And is Arthur C. Clarke really a hopeful writer?)

This seems to fit the bill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn98FdSg-Fo
FallenGrace

Originally Posted by shingi70

It's not hard to tell that writers means that type of game is on q downturn in the industry as a whole, regardless of Sony putting them out.

Reading the article and looking at Gaf is funny, you'd think Gaf of all places would be less drove by posts and understand that's it's an opinion piece.

I was using an example rather than listing every game last year and this year that would qualify.

I understand it's an opinion piece, am I not allowed to disagree? It feels more like an EA promo piece rather than giving any actual valid points.
Last edited by FallenGrace; 01-28-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Primethius
I'm not sure I buy the arguments by the article for why ME:A is the most important game. It'll certainly be a big game this year.

Reflexively, I want to say Zelda is the most important game this year because a platform sort of is relying on it.
Spman2099
(01-28-2017, 01:02 PM)
I would be legitimately surprised if it made an argument for being in the top ten most important games of the year list...
Hibiki Kurosawa
(01-28-2017, 01:05 PM)
Important is an odd word to use even after hearing their reasoning. It's definitely a very exciting game coming out because it does harken back to older-school sci-fi (I'm thinking more 80's, though), but I'm not so sure it's doing anything particularly new or original. Going back to explorable planets is super awesome though.
WadiumArcadium
(01-28-2017, 01:06 PM)

Originally Posted by EmiPrime

I can think of at least 5 other story focused games coming out that same month that I'd rather play than Mass Effect Andromeda.

The article doesn't say Andromeda is their most anticipated game of 2017 though. That's not what it's about.
Tsukumo
(01-28-2017, 01:07 PM)
Sounds like an infomercial rather than a real essay/ article.
Strings
Banned

Originally Posted by GodOnlyNose

It's like people read the thread title and didn't read the topic at all, amazing, they automatically got defensive of their favorite games.

It's important because for once we won't be doing the same tropey things in a Sci Fi action games. We aren't on the brink of having the human race wiped out, we are on the brink of discovering new things, new worlds new races.

I'm down, day one

Yeah!

We're on the brink of finding our dad!
DriftingSpirit
People are really against ME on Gaf. I don't care about the game but it is just interesting to see.

Originally Posted by Spring-Loaded

"Colonization is hopeful" threw me off for a bit

Yep. My blood pressure shot up a bit but I calmed down lol.
Lime
Banned
Single player narrative driven games aren't on the decline though so the premise of the article is flawed
Relaxed Muscle
Even if I don't agree with the article, is clearly people didn't even read it.
wapplew
(01-28-2017, 01:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Lime

Single player narrative driven games aren't on the decline though so the premise of the article is flawed

If you compare to past generation, we definitely see less single player narrative driven games titles this gen.
WadiumArcadium
(01-28-2017, 01:14 PM)

Originally Posted by wapplew

If you compare to past generation, we definitely see less single player narrative driven games titles this gen.

They don't seem to be selling as well here in the UK either. Both Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 sold considerably less than the original games.
The_Endgamer
(01-28-2017, 01:14 PM)
I'd say there are 'more important' games out there coming doing more innovative things than Mass Effect Andromeda will do.

All the trailers I've seen so far seem like a differently polished version of Mass Effect 2 + Call of Duty style loadouts for characters. Simply, a rehash.

I love the original trilogy. Bought the series multiple times across 3 different systems (Xbox360,PC,PS3) but something about about this is giving me RE6 'corporate made' game vibes.

This article also sounds paid for to be honest.

EDIT: How many times can they rephrase "Mass Effect is the most important release of 2017". With the author explaining to the (mostly core gamers) readers of this article how the games industry works is really condescending + the constant reminiscing of the first 3 games throughout... Well I can only hope this constant reminiscing trend isn't reflected in the game too.
Last edited by The_Endgamer; 01-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.
JimJamJones
(01-28-2017, 01:17 PM)
If anything, Zelda would be the most important game of 2017.
Callibretto
(01-28-2017, 01:18 PM)

Originally Posted by wapplew

Eh not sure about that, more games last gen have tacked on multiplayer games. While this gen, dev has gotten better to decide whether they want to focus on single player or multiplayer.

If we see less single player title this gen, it's probably because there are less games this gen all around.
Anno
(01-28-2017, 01:19 PM)
I know it's supposed to be hopeful and adventurous but damn they've done a terrible job showing it. I'm not expecting much at this point, but I'm hopeful that I'll be wrong.
Hagi
(01-28-2017, 01:20 PM)
I don't think what's been presented so far for the game in terms of writing is quite going to hit the high benchmark set in that article. I really wish the game was more adventure instead of oops here's another mysterious alien race trying to kill us.
Aztechnology

Originally Posted by JimJamJones

Because it will represent the Switch?
Sotha_Sil
Prey is mine. The immersive sim style must continue.
Gbraga
(01-28-2017, 01:21 PM)
Hmmm, I get the idea. The most important for what it represents, both thematically and structurally, but eeeh, I'm not sure I can see it.

And thank god I can't, if Andromeda represented one of the last bastions of hope of my favorite game style, I'm not sure I'd be as excited about 2017 as I am.

Personally, if I had to point to games that represent something that I really don't want to see disappearing, but don't actually seem that big nowadays, I'd point to Gravity Rush 2, or The Last Guardian for 2016. Very unique games, both in the creator's vision for that world, but also down to the way you interact with it, there's nothing quite like these games, they're not "like X but...", it's The Last Guardian. The closest you can find to compare it to are Ueda's own games. I want more of that.

Persona 5 as well, I suppose. I know it's basically a PS3 game ported, but that only adds to it. I honestly wouldn't mind more "PS3 games on PS4" if that's what it takes for these kinds of experiences to continue existing with reasonable budgets that won't break the devs if it doesn't sell 5 billion copies.

You could say that Andromeda is AAA, and that's the key difference, representing that in the AAA space, but I'd argue that it doesn't really represent that at all. It's very noticeable how much more "safe" it is, just for being this huge expensive product. If anything, Andromeda, next to the other games I mentioned, makes a case for how even the lower budget is a fundamental part of creating those experiences. Lower sales expectations will always allow more risks and peculiar design decisions.

Mass Effect Andromeda has advanced graphics, huge worlds to explore, epic battles, I'm guessing a multiplayer mode too? Doesn't it sound like I'm reading the back of the box of "Insert AAA Title Here"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for it, I'm hoping it'll be great, but it's still a 2017 AAA game through and through. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly important for the industry either.
Hoo-doo
(01-28-2017, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by JimJamJones

Why?
EmiPrime
(01-28-2017, 01:22 PM)

Originally Posted by WadiumArcadium

The article doesn't say Andromeda is their most anticipated game of 2017 though. That's not what it's about.

I know? I read it and I think the article is overstating Mass Effect's importance. We have an embarrassment of riches this generation when it comes to story focused games.
andythinkpad
(01-28-2017, 01:22 PM)
I am waiting for actual gamers comment on the new Mass Effect ending first before I bring up my wallet. I am not giving BioWare any benefit of doubt.

And, it's not more important game this year, give me a break.
Kurtofan
(01-28-2017, 01:23 PM)
but mass effect came out in 2007
John Kowalski
#thor2thedarkworld
I need hope, give me hope

Space hope
wapplew

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Why?

It carry a console's launch.
Cerium
(01-28-2017, 01:24 PM)
This thread is a powderkeg waiting to blow.
SJRB
(01-28-2017, 01:25 PM)

But most of all, the reason Andromeda is an important game, is that it's hopeful.

Absurd reasoning.
Kimaka
(01-28-2017, 01:26 PM)
They're jumping the gun a bit. While the new Mass Effect may have some diplomacy and relationship building quests within it like the previous games, it still looks like it is going to be your typical scifi action story that is ultimately about blowing up the big bad again. It doesn't look much different other than an added imperialistic bend which I wouldn't call hopeful.
jett
D-Member
(01-28-2017, 01:27 PM)
What? Andromeda looks like the most derivative shit.
heringer
Hopefully it surprises us like RE7 did.
Wink
That's the same argument as to why Interstellar is supposed to be a great movie (space exploration - it's important!) and I don't do well with that kinda argument. The most important games of a year to me are the games that dare to do something unprecedented or do whatever they do exceptionally well.
shingi70
(01-28-2017, 01:28 PM)

Originally Posted by FallenGrace

I was using an example rather than listing every game last year and this year that would qualify.

I understand it's an opinion piece, am I not allowed to disagree? It feels more like an EA promo piece rather than giving any actual valid points.

My critisim was toward Gaf as a whole, and not you in particular.
requiem02
(01-28-2017, 01:28 PM)
Zelda, Horizon, Mario, God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 are exponentially more important this year.
Muchi Muchi Pink
(01-28-2017, 01:30 PM)
"First of all, epic, narrative-driven, single-player video games are on the decline. They’re not quite a dying artform, but they’re certainly endangered."
I wish.
m_dorian
(01-28-2017, 01:31 PM)
Yeah no. The game has to be good to be important.
JimJamJones
(01-28-2017, 01:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

Because it will represent the Switch?

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Why?

For one it's the Switch's biggest title for launch, and it's a Zelda game that's formulaically different than the norm.

Zelda could determine how the Switch performs at launch and a bit beyond.
jdstorm
(01-28-2017, 01:32 PM)
Is Mass Effect:Andromeda really much more hopeful then Zelda and Horizon?

All 3 of these games are set in worlds removed from past crisis. Where there is a new world to explore and in some sense rebuild while staving off a typical video game vilan.

On top of that we have titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 whos core DNA comes from a place Of Optimism. Ace Combat 7, Gravity Rush 2, No ki Kuni 2 ect. Even games from last year like Watchdogs 2 were showing an uptic in optimism.

Edit: However the most important game of 2017 is clearly Destiny 2. The First game has been huge. It was a 10/10 shooter mechanically and a 2/10 RPG. How Bungie fixes Destiny's flaws with Destiny 2 is going to be the real thing to watch for
Last edited by jdstorm; 01-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.
TitusTroy
(01-28-2017, 01:35 PM)
why do we need hope in a video game?...I like to escape the real world and fight zombies and aliens and evil warlords...plus all games usually end up with the good guy winning anyway so I don't see how Mass Effect is so unique
Savitar
(01-28-2017, 01:36 PM)
Most important?!

Hardly.