• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

jrush64
(01-28-2017, 01:37 PM)

Originally Posted by JimJamJones

For one it's the Switch's biggest title for launch, and it's a Zelda game that's formulaically different than the norm.

Zelda could determine how the Switch performs at launch and a bit beyond.

I definitely agree that it's Zelda that's the most important game this year. Mass Effect Andromeda I don't see that doing anything that we haven't seen before.
Tovarisc
(01-28-2017, 01:41 PM)
Why writer ignores Horizon: Zero Dawn, RDR2, Torment, Divinity 2, Vampyr...? Also kinda funny that he implies Horizon and RDR2 won't deliver same single player focused narrative RPG experience that MEA is going to deliver, while only game out of three with confirmed MP component is MEA.

Like I said in another thread articles like this aren't inherently bad, but one can understand why structure and tone of such article may rub not-so-dedicated fan / follower in wrong way because it reads like marketing piece. MEA could be very strong game in 2017, but hardly only strong RPG coming out and maybe not most genre defining entry in 2017.

It's too early to say.
Candescence
(01-28-2017, 01:41 PM)
The basic premise and arguments in this article are just silly.

And that's not even getting into the actual quality of what the end product will likely be, considering ME2 and ME3 were all over the fucking place in terms of writing quality, on top of a huge shift in writing style from ME1 that just didn't work well for the franchise, nor was it done particularly well (everything related to Cerberus in ME2 and beyond is an outright cancer on the franchise). Personally, the ending of ME3 was what killed my enthusiasm for the franchise, if Andromeda is actually really good, I might get it, but there's nothing I've seen or heard so far that doesn't indicate anything more than mediocrity at this point, sad to say. But that's Bioware's fault for dropping the ball - Shamus Young's novel-length retrospective on the Mass Effect trilogy is an incredible insight into what changed between the first game and the second two, writing-wise.
Last edited by Candescence; 01-28-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Wolfgang Jr
(01-28-2017, 01:42 PM)
It looks shit, not important.
Parmenide
(01-28-2017, 01:43 PM)
The GAF Mass Effect hate is real!
FallenGrace
(01-28-2017, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by shingi70

My critisim was toward Gaf as a whole, and not you in particular.

Fair enough.

In this case I don't think GAF are all that wrong though lol XD I'm excited for Mass Effect Andromeda but this wasn't a good article I felt.
Alastor3
(01-28-2017, 01:45 PM)
Ewwww what?

The writer clearly never played an old Bioware game. Those were the GOTY.
shingi70
(01-28-2017, 01:45 PM)

Originally Posted by FallenGrace

Fair enough.

In this case I don't think GAF are all that wrong though lol XD I'm excited for Mass Effect Andromeda but this wasn't a good article I felt.

I have the game preordered but I'm so iffy because the little gameplay that's been shown seems to be taking the worst from Dragon Age Inqusosition.
FallenGrace
(01-28-2017, 01:50 PM)

Originally Posted by shingi70

I have the game preordered but I'm so iffy because the little gameplay that's been shown seems to be taking the worst from Dragon Age Inqusosition.

yeah I understand that. I actually did quite like Inquisition though they overcompensated for the lack of content in DAII a little too much and the cast was all pretty uninteresting except Dorian.
Hahs
(01-28-2017, 01:50 PM)

Originally Posted by [email protected]

Nah. What they've shown so far was really meh, and I don't expect much from the game.

This is the exact reason why I haven't seen anything new (trailers/spoilers) about Andromeda since it was announced...I don't want to feel any inclinations of "meh" until I've experienced the goddamn game for myself... Ignorance is bliss, until it isn't
ElBoxyBrown
(01-28-2017, 01:53 PM)
Uh, isn't Adromeda gonna have multiplayer?
FriedConsole
Banned
(01-28-2017, 01:54 PM)

Originally Posted by TheDinoman

I always felt that Red Dead Redemption 2 was gonna be the big release of this year.

It will be the biggest game of 2018.
xam3l
(01-28-2017, 01:55 PM)
There's really no way to get hype from this game here on GAF.
Renekton
(01-28-2017, 01:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Tovarisc

Why writer ignores Horizon: Zero Dawn, RDR2, Torment, Divinity 2, Vampyr...? Also kinda funny that he implies Horizon and RDR2 won't deliver same single player focused narrative RPG experience that MEA is going to deliver, while only game out of three with confirmed MP component is MEA.

At least I think the author scoped it to AAA production level SPs, which excludes Obsidian type RPGs. This leaves Horizon, RDR2, and Zelda.

As for story genre, I wonder how many space science fiction AAAs (not science fantasy) are there.
alt27
(01-28-2017, 01:56 PM)
3rd rate journalist that knows nothing about games industry. Time to move on
FallenGrace
(01-28-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by xam3l

There's really no way to get hype from this game here on GAF.

That's beside the point to the article though surely? The odd shit post aside it seems more people have an issue with the article being stupid rather than hating on Andromeda.

Edit: My post is immdietly made void by the one below me it seems -_-
Angel_DvA

Originally Posted by Bustanen

Most disappointing game of 2017 is more likely.

ElBoxyBrown

Andromeda will likely stand alone this year as an exploration of characters as much as conflict.

opricnik
(01-28-2017, 02:00 PM)
Lol fuck no it looks terrible. Dragon Age Inquisition : Space DLC.

They must be high or get paid to write those.
Phu
I feel like Andromeda is straddling a strange line where, if it's not huge, it might get forgotten by the end of the year.
Tovarisc

Originally Posted by Renekton

At least I think the author scoped it to AAA production level SPs, which excludes Obsidian type RPGs. This leaves Horizon, RDR2, and Zelda.

As for story genre, I wonder how many space science fiction AAAs (not science fantasy) are there.

Not sure if space sci-fi AAA RPG is that crucial to argument writer is trying to make with MEA, but true that there isn't many. Also even if we were to narrow it down to just AAA production it's still shortsighted and somewhat stupid to ignore games like Horizon, RDR2 and upcoming Zelda when talking about narrative focused SP experiences.
Clear
This post contains disingenuous arguments meant to disguise my fanboyism. Reader beware!
I think its going to underperform slightly. I doubt it'll flop, but what's been shown thus far doesn't seem to be generating as much buzz as expected, and I feel like the market has moved on a bit from last-gen in terms of taste.
royox
(01-28-2017, 02:03 PM)

Originally Posted by opricnik

Lol fuck no it looks terrible. Dragon Age Inquisition : Space DLC.

They must be high or get paid to write those.

Being a Pathfinder on a whole new explorable galaxy. It can't be any better for me.
ElBoxyBrown
(01-28-2017, 02:05 PM)
I don't think Andromeda will be a bad game but to hype it up as being the sole contender and savior for SP games is just laughable.
stat84
(01-28-2017, 02:07 PM)
Lol "most important game" who thinks of this stuff???
Tratorn
(01-28-2017, 02:07 PM)
I think Horizon doing good is more important for huge investment in SP-only games, since it is a new IP.

And yes, even if most people see it as a SP game, ME indeed has a MP.
chrixter
(01-28-2017, 02:09 PM)
Eh, the writer is arguing from mostly a narrative perspective. But from a structural perspective, in an age when open world game design rules the roost, Zelda, Horizon and RDR2 (lol 2017) will be far more important if they can make meaningful contributions to the genre (one that many players are feeling fatigue with) in the same way that games like Witcher 3, MGSV and Shadow of Mordor offered innovations that redefined what's possible with an open world.

Nothing we've seen of Andromeda suggests that BioWare has suddenly reinvented its decade-old formula.
GifGafIsTheBestGaf
(01-28-2017, 02:10 PM)

i would like to have of what they are smoking

there are so many important games coming this year but if push comes to shove RDR2 is the truly important one of the games delayed in 2017
boiled goose
good with gravy
(01-28-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Taruranto

I see the gaming press is starting to shill the next Bioware game earlier, this time.

Basically this...
Solid Raiden
(01-28-2017, 02:12 PM)
Article kind of reads like a massive fanboy giving falatio to his favorite upcoming video game in hopes of getting everyone as hyped up as he.
The arguments given by the article as to why this game is so important are just nonsensical.

Mass Effect 3's ending murdered my admiration for the series last generation but I'll be damned if Andromeda is not one of my most anticipated release this year but even I can't help but chuckle at the pure lunacy on display here.
dmaul1114
(01-28-2017, 02:14 PM)
Definitely my most anticipated game of the year by a long shot. Most important? Meh. I don't care about those kind of discussions as I don't take gaming as a hobby that seriously.
Elman
(01-28-2017, 02:17 PM)

Originally Posted by royox

Being a Pathfinder on a whole new explorable galaxy. It can't be any better for me.

Haven't we been here before? Has everyone already forgotten No Man's Sky?

Chances are you're going to get a handful of "planets" - ie large open-world zones that likely will be filled with MMO quest grinding and resource collecting. Not some grand adventure across dozens of unique, detailed, and fully explorable planets.

Expectations are far too high for EA. This is going to be DA:I with jetpacks.
spekkeh
(01-28-2017, 02:20 PM)
It's a series where the multiplayer developer took over from the core development team, and ostensibly the main campaign has been turned into a template where lots of multiplayer arenas can bleed into the singleplayer. Because let's be real, the campaign is more and more just a way to lure people in so that they can be aggressively monetized in the multiplayer.

I'm going to buy the game on launch because I fucking love Mass Effect, but I consider myself more part of the problem than a person who buys into some important paragon of extensive single player campaigns.
SJRB
(01-28-2017, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by ElBoxyBrown

It reads like an advertorial, doesn't it?
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(01-28-2017, 02:23 PM)
Hahaha. No, just no.
benjammin
(01-28-2017, 02:24 PM)
I'm one of the people who is very hyped for a new Mass Effect, but there's no way it's a more important game than Zelda or Mario. The anchor titles for a brand new console have to be more important than the follow up to the worst game in the Mass Effect series.
eXistor
So far I can't say Mass Effect Andromeda has me excited. More worried to be honest. I have zero faith that the game will provide me with the deep gameplay I need from these types of games. The masses are gonna gobble it up no doubt, just because it's called Mass Effect., I might bite if the price is right or if I'm proven wrong, but I think for now, I can safely ignore the game and don't feel like I'm missing out, let alone on an "important game", which I'm really not seeing.
paragonpro
Mass effect looks great! Im hyped for it as all hell but idk if a tripple a game will ever be the most important game of the year unless its the last of us
The Boat
(01-28-2017, 02:25 PM)
What a ridiculous article.
Llyrwenne
(01-28-2017, 02:29 PM)
I want to elaborate a bit on my earlier comment:

The writer's assertion that narrative single-player games are on the decline to such a degree that they are 'endangered' is not something I can take seriously. Mass Effect Andromeda is not some last hope. It's failure or success will not have some significant impact on the industry as a whole. The article brings up Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian as 'negative' examples, but ignores that the only reason these games got finished and released is because people were excited : people wanted these narrative single-player experiences and that was enough for the studios to move ahead with them despite the development hell. Andromeda does not have any significance simply for being a narrative game.

The writer also seems to give way too much credit to Bioware for the writing in past Mass Effect games. The idea that Andromeda will be a masterpiece in writing is based on pure speculation and is not based in anything we have seen from the game. The idea that Andromeda is important because EA is pushing the Pathfinder angle in their marketing / PR is also odd to me. From what we have seen in the trailer, the game is about fighting against an evil alien race that wants to conquer and destroy. That's not exactly a novel idea. Nor is banding together with other races to fight the evil. Or finding your lost dad. These story elements are not groundbreaking or significant. The 'Pathfinder angle' seems purely to be a backdrop for that from what we have currently seen.

I really fail to see how Mass Effect Andromeda has any greater significance, and some parts of this article read almost like a PR piece from EA.

One game coming out this year that I do think is significant is Horizon: Zero Dawn. Not because robot dinosaurs or 'bold narrative choices' or it 'being the last in the endangered line of open world games', but because this is a new IP starring an exclusively female protagonist. A non-sexualized female protagonist. By a AAA studio with the full backing and marketing support of a huge publisher. Without marketing it as 'we want the player to feel like they want to protect her' or other such angle.

I'd wager there are quite a few more industry eyes on that game than on Mass Effect: Andromeda.
hydruxo
(01-28-2017, 02:31 PM)

First of all, epic, narrative-driven, single-player video games are on the decline.

I'm not sure I agree with that. There's always a pretty steady amount of narrative driven single player games to go around. I guess it depends how you define "epic" though. If they're talking about some sprawling sci-fi space adventure, then sure, it's on the decline. But there are plenty of single player games coming out all the time.
kadotsu
(01-28-2017, 02:31 PM)
The article could have been 100% on point if you substituted "of 2017" with "for EA". They are killing SP games left and right. Servicing up their existing IP and have generally only created bland, by the numbers narratives this gen. A failure of ME:A could have some fallout for the Star Wars branch. Ami Henning's game might get a perfunctory multiplayer bolted onto it to tick some box corporate wants to have.
superNESjoe
(01-28-2017, 02:32 PM)
Mass Effect Andromeda: Why Glixel is the most hyperbolic website of 2017
royox
(01-28-2017, 02:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Elman

This is going to be DA:I with jetpacks.

Perfect. Loved DA:I's exploration and open areas. Can't imagine anything better for a Mass Effect game than big explorable areas.
Purkake4
(01-28-2017, 02:38 PM)
I don't even...

Maybe try looking beyond AAA stuff, there's quite a few single player games coming out.
InsaneTiger
(01-28-2017, 02:41 PM)
That author is not paying attention to what is coming out.
Jawmuncher
(01-28-2017, 02:42 PM)
I don't trust bioware after inquisition.
I swear if I gotta get explorer points to play the 4 main story missions because they wanted to overload the game with side content that's technically mandatory I'm done
Cerium
(01-28-2017, 02:43 PM)

Originally Posted by InsaneTiger

That author is not paying attention to what is coming out.

It's maybe the 4th or 5th most important game of March.
Anderson DL
(01-28-2017, 02:44 PM)
I'm hoping that the trailers we've seen are a reflection of the marketing department, and they don't adequately represent the actual game. We see that all the time, of course. Marketing will aim for the lowest common denominator -- the dude bro crowd -- and the game comes off looking stupider and more dull-witted than it actually is. I'm hoping that's the case here.

Originally Posted by DriftingSpirit

People are really against ME on Gaf. I don't care about the game but it is just interesting to see.

Yes, it's been a very negative reaction. I think a large part of that is GAF's usual pattern of negativity and overreaction, rather than an actual reflection of how bad the game will be. But I think there is something real in the criticism, too. At least based on the trailers, it does seem like a game designed by committee. And there is none of that sense of adventure and exploration I was hoping for.

Originally Posted by requiem02

Zelda, Horizon, Mario, God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 are exponentially more important this year.

All of which are primarily SP games, I would point out.

But most of all, the reason Andromeda is an important game, is that it's hopeful. For the last few years, most big sci-fi titles have been about withdrawal and attrition: Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Destiny, Titanfall – they depict humanity on the back foot, always struggling to survive in smaller and smaller spaces. Andromeda on the other hand is about exploration and expansion. In many ways it harks back to the great science fiction novels of the Fifties and Sixties from the likes of Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke in which gigantic spacecraft vanish along glittering hyperspace lanes to distant galaxies; where alien worlds are discovered and colonized, against the odds.

That's actually an interesting observation -- the first part, I mean, about recent SF titles being mostly about withdrawal and attrition. And when I first heard of ME: Andromeda, I was hoping it would be the way he describes -- reminiscent of the golden age of SF, full of wonder. Of course, when I first heard about No Man's Sky, I was hoping the same.
juventino
Banned
(01-28-2017, 02:45 PM)

Originally Posted by RangerX

Not understanding the lukewarm reception the game is getting here. Evetything I've seen looks amazing. My most anticipated game so far this year.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNG_szaXNNU

Compared to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCA8tK117c

Not even close. Andromeda looks so bland its not even funny and I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy