• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Vital Tundra
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:46 PM)
Vital Tundra's Avatar
Mass Effect hasn't shown me that it is doing much of anything different. It'll be the same 3rd person shooter with light RPG elements and choices that don't make a whole lotta deference.

Don't see how it being classicky science fiction will change that. there are plenty of single player games coming out, and I would argue Zelda is the most important game of the year.
Last edited by Vital Tundra; 01-28-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Ryuuga
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:46 PM)
Ryuuga's Avatar
NMS was once important.
JustinBB7
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:51 PM)
JustinBB7's Avatar

Originally Posted by Renekton

Games like Mass Effect and Uncharted require vast development teams with enormous art and animation divisions to generate the detailed visual assets necessary in the 4K UHD era.

Don't worry, Bioware skipped the animation division to save money so it all works out!
AHA-Lambda
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:51 PM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar
No chance >_>
The hype this is getting purely off the back of "it's more mass effect!!" with no details is baffling

But most of all, the reason Andromeda is an important game, is that it's hopeful. For the last few years, most big sci-fi titles have been about withdrawal and attrition: Gears of War, Halo, Killzone, Destiny, Titanfall – they depict humanity on the back foot, always struggling to survive in smaller and smaller spaces. Andromeda on the other hand is about exploration and expansion.

Don't kid yourselves, it'll be the same "let's team up and defeat the big bad while setting up for a sequel" plot as always.
Last edited by AHA-Lambda; 01-28-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Emperor_Uriel
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:52 PM)
Emperor_Uriel's Avatar
"Expansion and exploration..." until you remember that humanity got massively fucked up by the Reapers and we have no idea how many human are left on Earth.

Pathfinder thinks its mission is colonization for the sake of knowledge and power, when in reality it's colonization as a necessity given how wrecked the Milky Way is.
Tertullian
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:53 PM)
Tertullian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Renekton

This seems to fit the bill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn98FdSg-Fo

I was actually thinking of this video as I wrote my post. I've watched (I think) all the promotional videos for ME Andromeda, and I know that there are a couple that try to evoke a feeling of optimism and exploration into the vast unexplored frontier, but they're all voiceovers over shots of the U.S. space program or scifi ships flying in front of pretty nebulas, or whatever. I never get that hopeful feeling from any of the actual cinematic trailers or gameplay footage. That's the problem. Sure, a couple of trailers promise that feeling. But where is it in the gameplay, or even in the cutscenes? They can promise all they want, but can they deliver?
dmaul1114
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:53 PM)

Originally Posted by hydruxo

I'm not sure I agree with that. There's always a pretty steady amount of narrative driven single player games to go around. I guess it depends how you define "epic" though. If they're talking about some sprawling sci-fi space adventure, then sure, it's on the decline. But there are plenty of single player games coming out all the time.

To me epic means long with a lot of content. A lot of narrative driven games are 10-15 hours or less. The budget is way higher for making a 30-40+ hour epic RPG with too graphics, tons of voice acting than a 10-15 hour action adventure game or a JRPG with lots of text and cartoonish graphics etc.
Sorc3r3r
Member
(01-28-2017, 02:54 PM)
Sorc3r3r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cerium

Originally Posted by m4st4

My first thought. Da fuck. How about you acknowledge some of the truly innovative games this year, instead of 'same old-same old, only prettier... somewhat'.


Of all the single player games they talk about Mass Effect?
Really?

And no, the hopeful and expanding humanity angle doesn't convince me either.

Worse, if Bioware keeps destroying what made Mass Effect an outstanding game pursuing a focus group streamlined experience the game will be another hit at the chance to have an experimental and original AAA game.
nelsonroyale
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:02 PM)
nelsonroyale's Avatar
I don't agree with the title, but I am looking forward to it. I mean I am looking forward to Horizon and Nier more, but I am still interested. This after being disappointed with ME2 and ME3, and fairly ambivalent on Dragon Age: Inquisition.
AHA-Lambda
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:02 PM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar

Andromeda will likely stand alone this year as an exploration of characters as much as conflict.

From the same script as:
"I am Archon. Surrender or burn."
"He's a master of the game. We're about to change the rules."
"I don't need an army, I have a Krogan"

Last edited by AHA-Lambda; 01-28-2017 at 03:09 PM.
royox
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:08 PM)
royox's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

From the same script as
"I don't need an army, I have a Krogan"?

That line was pretty badass and what every ME fan loves to hear when playing a ME game.

For god's sake, Shepard was a One-Line Shotgun and people loves asshole Hawke for that same reason

"Nobody fucks with my hamster, now it's personal".
heringer
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:09 PM)
heringer's Avatar

Originally Posted by AHA-Lambda

From the same script as
"I don't need an army, I have a Krogan"?

A line they clearly stole from Avengers, lol.
AHA-Lambda
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:10 PM)
AHA-Lambda's Avatar

Originally Posted by heringer

A line they clearly stole from Avengers, lol.

Definitely.
ironcreed
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:13 PM)
ironcreed's Avatar
Well, I am definitely 'hopeful' for the game. Let's put it that way. I mean, it's a new Mass Effect and the first one for this generation.
Anoxida
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:22 PM)
The amount of people who decided/assumes ME: Andromeda is shit on GAF before even playing it is astounding. Drive by posts everywhere. It's an opinion piece people, not someone trying to state a fact.
Conkerkid11
Banned
(01-28-2017, 03:25 PM)
I mean, if Alien Dating Simulator 4 is your thing...

Originally Posted by Anoxida

The amount of people who decided/assumes ME: Andromeda is shit on GAF before even playing it is astounding. Drive by posts everywhere. It's an opinion piece people, not someone trying to state a fact.

The marketing team can't make the game look good, so what else can we assume? BioWare's been on the decline.
dmaul1114
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Anoxida

The amount of people who decided/assumes ME: Andromeda is shit on GAF before even playing it is astounding. Drive by posts everywhere. It's an opinion piece people, not someone trying to state a fact.

No kidding. GAF is really getting insufferable to visit anymore as someone who loves modern AAA games and dislikes most of the stuff the hive mind in here raves about.

I suppose that's more on me though as a very mainstream and increasingly casual gamer visiting the biggest forum for gaming enthusiasts though.

I love the ME trilogy, didn't mind the ending, loved DA:I and liked DA2. This game is about as sure as a safe bet as it gets for me. Story and character interactions are the main things I enjoy in games these days, and aside from CD Projekt Red Bioware has been about as good as it gets in those fronts.
Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Brashnir
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:28 PM)
Brashnir's Avatar
The actual most important game of 2017 is some game none of us has even heard of yet but starts a revolution.
Conkerkid11
Banned
(01-28-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

No kidding. GAF is really getting insufferable to visit anymore as someone who loves modern AAA games and dislikes most of the stuff the hive mind in here raves about.

I suppose that's more on me though as a very mainstream and increasingly casual gamer visiting the biggest forum for gaming enthusiasts though.

GAF is not a hivemind.

There's an entire OT for Mass Effect fans to hang out in. Every thread for every game has people who either like or dislike what you like or dislike. Calm down.
Anoxida
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Conkerkid11

I mean, if Alien Dating Simulator 4 is your thing...


The marketing team can't make the game look good, so what else can we assume? BioWare's been on the decline.

I understand your point and I agree the PR has been shit. On the other hand you would think people on GAF are smart enough to know that bad PR =/= bad game. But most people aren't complaining about the PR but the actual game itself. Which we know way too little about. That's the actual problem and it doesn't excuse all these people popping their heads in to write one sentence talking shit then moving on.

These last few ME threads has been absolute shit.
dmaul1114
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Conkerkid11

GAF is not a hivemind.

There's an entire OT for Mass Effect fans to hang out in. Every thread for every game has people who either like or dislike what you like or dislike. Calm down.

I wasn't meaning so much individual games as just the vocal disdain for main AAA games, comments in here about it being "boring focus group tested" garbage etc.

Just a bunch of nerds upset their hobby went mainstream and big budget games aren't made for their niche tastes anymore.
Plum
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:37 PM)
Plum's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

I wasn't meaning so much individual games as just the vocal disdain for main AAA games, comments in here about it being "boring focus group tested" garbage etc.

Just a bunch of nerds upset their hobby went mainstream and big budget games aren't made for their niche tastes anymore.

GAF voted Uncharted 4 for their GOTY last year. Destiny is one of, if not the, biggest multiplayer shooter here in terms of posts. Your posts aren't exactly backed up by anything but your own assertions.
Last edited by Plum; 01-28-2017 at 03:39 PM.
ironcreed
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:39 PM)
ironcreed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ryuuga

NMS was once important.

I hope you are not suggesting that Mass Effect Andromeda will be on that level of stank. If so, could you please pass me some of what you are smoking? Must be some good shit.
dmaul1114
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Plum

GAF voted Uncharted 4 for their GOTY last year. Destiny is one of, if not the, biggest multiplayer shooter here in terms of posts. Your posts aren't exactly backed up by anything but your own assertions.

I wasn't saying it was all or most of GAF. Just a vocal minority hive mind that goes around every thread about mainstream AAA games trashing them with the same tired shit.

I don't go in threads for genres, indie games and things in the hobby I don't like and talk about how they're shit. I spend my time reading and talking about games I'm interested in and industry news.

The mods just don't do enough about shit posting, fanboy console war nonsense etc. compared to years past IMO. Again, on me for sticking around so much and failing at my New Year's Resolution to not spend much time here.
rochellepaws
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:47 PM)
rochellepaws's Avatar
What a garbage article written by someone who gives the impression that they've never touched a title outside of the ultra mainstream AAA space. The first half of the article goes to great lengths to emphasise the budget of a game like Mass Effect as if it's somehow indicative of quality or in any way important to the consumer by describing the project as "epic", their development teams as "vast" and "enormous", their output as "superlative" and their financial risk as "tremendous".
The second half laments a gaming landscape without Mass Effect declaring voids in the areas of characterisation and world building, the forte of Japanese rpgs which are more than plentiful in the current generation. Along with the alternate dimension scenario of AAA western games failing meaning we're going to be stuck with only mobile somehow.
It wouldn't surprise me if Andromeda did fail and it will barely cause a ripple. Mass Effect and Bioware in general seem to me like a last gen company a few years out of touch.
Ultra Numb
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:48 PM)
Ultra Numb's Avatar
Definitely not.

Zelda will attempt to carry a new system from one of the big three. Automatically beats out Mass Effect.
JamesHolden
Junior Member
(01-28-2017, 03:49 PM)
JamesHolden's Avatar
What was the last huge budget game that was made over 3-4 years that wasn't developed by a committee? It would literally be impossible to not be developed by a committee. Bizarre critique from people apparently upset that Mass Effect is no longer an Indie game made by a 5 person team.
Plum
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:49 PM)
Plum's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

I wasn't saying it was all or most of GAF. Just a vocal minority hive mind that goes around every thread about mainstream AAA games trashing them with the same tired shit.

I don't go in threads for genres, indie games and things in the hobby I don't like and talk about how they're shit. I spend my time reading and talking about games I'm interested in and industry news.

The mods just don't do enough about shit posting, fanboy console war nonsense etc. compared to years past IMO.

Maybe they simply don't like what they've seen of ME:A? People saying it looks too much "focus tested garbage," don't have some nefarious agenda against all AAA games, they just think the game looks too simplified and samey compared to what they liked in the original Mass Effect games. Which it does, from the villain to the gameplay nothing screams innovation or a truly unique vision. If the game comes out and it's the deep, hard science fiction story with complex RPG mechanics and character relations most of these 'nerds' want it to be then they aren't going to continue 'hating' it.

As I also said in the previous ME:A thread, saying you don't like something isn't a 'driveby shitpost', it's just stating your opinion much the same way saying "I'm hyped for this game!" is. If mods went after everyone who didn't like something then you'd get an actual hivemind.
Last edited by Plum; 01-28-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Tertullian
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:51 PM)
Tertullian's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

I wasn't meaning so much individual games as just the vocal disdain for main AAA games, comments in here about it being "boring focus group tested" garbage etc.

Just a bunch of nerds upset their hobby went mainstream and big budget games aren't made for their niche tastes anymore.

I don't think there's any evidence GAF distains AAA games. AAA games dominate GAF's GotY awards every year. Just look at how excited people are for Horizon Zero Dawn, and that game's made by a bunch of people who've never worked on anything but the painfully forgettable, C-tier Killzone franchise. Why? Because Horizon has good marketing. ME Andromeda just doesn't. Bioware has a bad combination going on with Mass Effect: they fucked up the last game in the series in a way that soured the fans, and they either can't or won't put out advertising material that makes Andromeda look different and exciting and enthralling. I say this as someone who has Andromeda pre-ordered. I'm excited for the game, but I can't blame anyone else for not being excited. Take it up with Bioware's marketing department if you want people to stop being so pessimistic about it.
EVA UNIT 01
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:51 PM)
EVA UNIT 01's Avatar

Originally Posted by Primethius

I'm not sure I buy the arguments by the article for why ME:A is the most important game. It'll certainly be a big game this year.

Reflexively, I want to say Zelda is the most important game this year because a platform sort of is relying on it.

The Zelda part of your post is what i was thinking.
Its carrying not just a console but a company for a few months.
Are there other games on switch at launch? Sure but no ones buying the system for them.
Its all zelda
dmaul1114
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:52 PM)

Originally Posted by Plum

Maybe they simply don't like what they've seen of ME:A? People saying it looks too much "focus tested garbage," don't have some nefarious agenda against all AAA games, they just think the game looks too simplified and samey compared to what they liked in the original Mass Effect games. As I also said in the previous ME:A thread, saying you don't like something isn't a 'driveby shitpost', it's just stating your opinion much the same way saying "I'm hyped for this game!" is. If mods went after everyone who didn't like something then you'd get an actual hivemind.

I mean like posts like rochellepaws a couple above that shit all over mainstream AAA gaming and praise niche stuff like JRPGs (or vice Versace sometimes in other threads), not posts about a specific game as I said above.

Originally Posted by Tertullian

I don't think there's any evidence GAF distains AAA games. AAA games dominate GAF's GotY awards every year.

As above, I didn't mean to say that was all of GAF, just that there's a vocal minority hive mind that goes around posting things like the post referenced above repeatedly in threads about mainstream AAA games.
Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-28-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Bidermaier
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:53 PM)
Bidermaier's Avatar
Glixel seem to see the Switch as an overpriced curiosity. Time will tell.
JamesHolden
Junior Member
(01-28-2017, 03:53 PM)
JamesHolden's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plum

Maybe they simply don't like what they've seen of ME:A? People saying it looks too much "focus tested garbage," don't have some nefarious agenda against all AAA games, they just think the game looks too simplified and samey compared to what they liked in the original Mass Effect games. Which it does, from the villain to the gameplay nothing screams innovation or a truly unique vision.

As I also said in the previous ME:A thread, saying you don't like something isn't a 'driveby shitpost', it's just stating your opinion much the same way saying "I'm hyped for this game!" is. If mods went after everyone who didn't like something then you'd get an actual hivemind.

Focus tested garbage isn't a critique, it's a string of buzz words. What makes something not focus tested?
prag16
Banned
(01-28-2017, 03:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Plum

GAF voted Uncharted 4 for their GOTY last year. Destiny is one of, if not the, biggest multiplayer shooter here in terms of posts. Your posts aren't exactly backed up by anything but your own assertions.

So you're asserting that a very vocal minority HASN'T already decided ME:A Andromeda is unequivocally trash, and that they HAVEN'T been shitting up every ME:A thread with drive by shit posts?
butman
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:53 PM)
butman's Avatar

Originally Posted by sphinx

personally, Horizon and Zelda, say "fuck no"

This.

Originally Posted by JackelZXA

My first response was gonna be NieR: Automata.

TBH I'm not as hype for this game as I was for the past 3 games. I must have played all 3 almost two dozen times, but something about this game doesn't seem like a Mass Effect game so far. I'm getting a "Rogue: One - A Star Wars Story" vibe from this.

And this.
t hicks
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:54 PM)
t hicks's Avatar
Yeaaaa idk about that, I hope it turns out good though I'll be trying it out thru EA Access
Anderson DL
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:55 PM)
Anderson DL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Emperor_Uriel

"Expansion and exploration..." until you remember that humanity got massively fucked up by the Reapers and we have no idea how many human are left on Earth.

Good point. Maybe not so much optimistic expansion as flight.

Originally Posted by Conkerkid11

The marketing team can't make the game look good, so what else can we assume? BioWare's been on the decline.

To be fair, though, marketing can misfire. Marketing can misrepresent a game and make it appear stupider than it really is. I understand the negative reactions, but I think it's important to remember that all we've seen are a couple of trailers.

Imo, some (many?) people are jumping to conclusions about the game being sh*t, based on very little info. Maybe we should hold off, wait and gather some more information, before concluding that the game will be crap.

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

I wasn't saying it was all or most of GAF. Just a vocal minority hive mind that goes around every thread about mainstream AAA games trashing them with the same tired shit.

I think some of it is coming from fans of the series who really wanted it to move forward decisively, and instead they are getting trailers that look uninspired. They're disappointed and frustrated.

The mods just don't do enough about shit posting, fanboy console war nonsense etc. compared to years past IMO. Again, on me for sticking around so much and failing at my New Year's Resolution to not spend much time here.

In the mod's defense, it can be hard to tell what's shitposting and what's just a negative opinion, especially with GAF being a place with thousands of posters and brief one-liners are a way of life.
Plum
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:56 PM)
Plum's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

I mean like posts like rochellepaws a couple above that shit all over mainstream AAA gaming and praise niche stuff like JRPGs (or vice Versace sometimes in other threads), not posts about a specific game as I said above.

That seemed more like a post saying that you shouldn't hype something up purely because of its budget and 'AAA status' instead of saying no mainstream AAA games can be good. They definitely seemed to have read the article so why can't they post their opinion on it?
El-Suave
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:57 PM)
El-Suave's Avatar
Yesterday Nier: Automata had the best demo EVER according to Kotaku and now there is this nonsense about Mass Effect. Games media is hard to take seriously these days with these statements.
Anoxida
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:58 PM)

Originally Posted by rochellepaws

What a garbage article written by someone who gives the impression that they've never touched a title outside of the ultra mainstream AAA space. The first half of the article goes to great lengths to emphasise the budget of a game like Mass Effect as if it's somehow indicative of quality or in any way important to the consumer by describing the project as "epic", their development teams as "vast" and "enormous", their output as "superlative" and their financial risk as "tremendous".
The second half laments a gaming landscape without Mass Effect declaring voids in the areas of characterisation and world building, the forte of Japanese rpgs which are more than plentiful in the current generation. Along with the alternate dimension scenario of AAA western games failing meaning we're going to be stuck with only mobile somehow.
It wouldn't surprise me if Andromeda did fail and it will barely cause a ripple. Mass Effect and Bioware in general seem to me like a last gen company a few years out of touch.

I'm sorry but are you seriously comparing jrpgs team bonding to ME? I love jrpgs but come on bro that genre lives on tropes. You might not like what bioware does with their games but come on they're one of extremely few comoanies making games that lets you have deeper conversations with your party. If they fail and stop making these kind of games then yeah something is definitely going to get lost.
Plum
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:59 PM)
Plum's Avatar

Originally Posted by JamesHolden

Focus tested garbage isn't a critique, it's a string of buzz words. What makes something not focus tested?

It's a bit brash, sure, but it means exactly the same as "lacking innovation and trying too hard to appeal to everyone whilst focusing on no-one."

Originally Posted by prag16

So you're asserting that a very vocal minority HASN'T already decided ME:A Andromeda is unequivocally trash, and that they HAVEN'T been shitting up every ME:A thread with drive by shit posts?

I'd like some examples of this conspiracy, because honestly I don't see it. What makes something a 'drive-by shitpost' to you?
Pacotez
Member
(01-28-2017, 03:59 PM)
The text is so full of shit. What I've seen of Andromeda makes me sad. I loved 1 and 2 and 3's gameplay was pretty good. But it seems like Andromeda is a step back in everything. Gameplay looks worse and the story doesn't look better than 3's to me

Originally Posted by Crankshaft

Maybe they wrote that article before the cinematic "we got uh krogan" trailer dropped. Most cringe writing of 2017 is a more likely award than most important.

Only now have I realized that was the Iron Man's "We have a Hulk" quote.
Bioware pls
Last edited by Pacotez; 01-28-2017 at 04:02 PM.
dmaul1114
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Plum

That seemed more like a post saying that you shouldn't hype something up purely because of its budget and 'AAA status' instead of saying no mainstream AAA games can be good. They definitely seemed to have read the article so why can't they post their opinion on it?

Fair enough.

I'm just getting to be more of a misanthrope the older I get and just don't give a fuck what others think anymore. GAF is the last forum I still visit and I really need to just quit it too as there's no point in visiting forums when other's opinions just annoy you. So that's on me.
Anoxida
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Plum


What makes something a 'drive-by shitpost' to you?

One page back: "Looks like shit. Not important". Thats all he wrote. Thats a shitpost. If you dont think it is then you have some unique kind of perspective as to what a shitpost is.
Anderson DL
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:02 PM)
Anderson DL's Avatar

Originally Posted by JamesHolden

What was the last huge budget game that was made over 3-4 years that wasn't developed by a committee? It would literally be impossible to not be developed by a committee. Bizarre critique from people apparently upset that Mass Effect is no longer an Indie game made by a 5 person team.

Sounds like you're taking it literally. Are you not familiar with the saying? Perhaps it's an idiomatic thing. "Designed by a committee" is a way of saying that something has suffered from being passed through too many administrative layers. Everyone is familiar with how committees can suck the life out of things, particularly artistic projects. "A camel is a horse designed by a committee" is an old saying. When people say the game has been "focus-tested to death," they're saying something similar.
prag16
Banned
(01-28-2017, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Plum

I'd like some examples of this conspiracy, because honestly I don't see it. What makes something a 'drive-by shitpost' to you?

There are dozens in this very topic. Come on. You don't need it spelled out (not going to do that while on mobile regardless).
Plum
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:05 PM)
Plum's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

Fair enough.

I'm just getting to be more of a misanthrope the older I get and just don't give a fuck what others think anymore. GAF is the last forum I still visit and I really need to just quit it too as there's no point in visiting forums when other's opinions just annoy you. So that's on me.

That's fair enough, not sharing a common opinion here can be frustrating and if it gets to you there's no point staying. But that doesn't mean you should start making broad, sweeping statements and insulting people.

Originally Posted by Anoxida

One page back: "Looks like shit. Not important". Thats all he wrote. Thats a shitpost. If you dont think it is then you have some unique kind of perspective as to what a shitpost is.

That post is followed by one saying just "The GAF Mass Effect hate is real!" Low-content posts with no follow up are done by everyone on all sides, it's no evidence of a conspiracy against Mass Effect or AAA games, just that you personally disagree with their opinion so, to you, it's an example of a 'drive-by shitpost'.
Last edited by Plum; 01-28-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Anderson DL
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:07 PM)
Anderson DL's Avatar

Originally Posted by dmaul1114

I'm just getting to be more of a misanthrope the older I get and just don't give a fuck what others think anymore. GAF is the last forum I still visit and I really need to just quit it too as there's no point in visiting forums when other's opinions just annoy you. So that's on me.

lol, as a fellow aging misanthrope, I get you. However, I have to point out that you're sort of contradicting yourself -- you say you don't give a fuck what others think, but then go on to say you want to leave because others' opinions annoy you. Maybe apply the first to the second?
Mass Effect
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:07 PM)
Mass Effect's Avatar
I bet you that Andromeda will at least be the most divisive game of the year for sure.

Originally Posted by Tertullian

If people want to argue that other games are more important, it would be nice to hear some actual reasons why. The headline doesn't say "best," it says "most impotant." Is something like Horizon really an important game, when it's just yet another 3rd person open world action game, even if it turns out to be great?

On the other hand, the article's arguments are nonsense.

  • Is there any actual evidence that epic narrative single-player games are on the decline, making ME Andromeda a kind of last bastion of the form? Did anyone actually count and see that fewer of those games come out every year, or that fewer are in development than ever before? Certainly not in the article. Sounds like horseshit.
  • Is there any reason to think that ME Andromeda's character drama is gonna be particularly good? Not in the promotional material we've seen so far.
  • Is there any good reason to believe that Andromeda is going to nail that hopeful, forward-looking sci-fi spirit? Again, not really, from the promotional material we've seen so far. (And is Arthur C. Clarke really a hopeful writer?)

1. We can at least make the argument that linear, story-driven games seem to be on the decline, at least going by sales of certain titles. Look at Quantum Break, Dishonored 2, and Deus Ex as examples.

2. Who knows at this point? Was it good in Inquisition? For all the problems with ME3, it at least had quality character interactions.

3. Once again, who knows? I'm going to go with probably not.
kennyamr
Member
(01-28-2017, 04:08 PM)
kennyamr's Avatar
*cough Cough* Persona 5 *cough*

Thread Tools