• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Moose Biscuits
(03-20-2017, 10:43 PM)
Easy answer man: if I invested my expendable income, then how could I expend it?
ClosingADoor
(03-20-2017, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Kito

Recommend me a UK one.

Quick Google search has a lot of options.

This is the one I was talking about being super cheap, apparently they are active in the UK also: https://www.degiro.co.uk/fees/

£ 1.75 + 0.004% for UK stocks.
BamfMeat
(03-20-2017, 10:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Mathaou

Anything that would severely impact my stocks would be seen waaaay ahead of time with enough time to sell so I'm fine.

19 year old confirmed.

I decided that playing the stock market was a bad idea when my grandma made a shitton of money buying and selling stocks in an oil firm in the 80s, only to lose a large chunk of it because she invested heavily in a few companies (you know, like your Netflix and Tesla statements) in the early 90s.

One of those really bad investments was Polaroid. Until the 90s, Polaroid did fucking fantastic. Then almost overnight, they hit the shit pot and that was that. She lost 10s of thousands because they just went bankrupt, which meant all her stock was worthless.

For all of your "DO YOUR RESEARCH" statements, you don't seem like you've done much research.

And FWIW, this is coming from someone who DOES love to play the stock market, short term, along with playing blackjack and 3-card poker. I love gambling. But it's not something you do with your savings or retirement.
Timedog
good credit (by proxy)
(03-20-2017, 11:11 PM)
Retired people who have a lot of money tend to sit there and not do shit with their money. This happens with such regularity that it could probably be codified into scientific law. Penny pinchers til the end, self-satisfied about how much smarter they were/are than everyone else. Have fun not doing shit with your hoard of cash.

I'm gonna take my meager earnings and instead make sure I have a comfortable bed, a nice computer chair, a decent car, good PC, eat at cool spots, etc. If you have enough income that these things are taken care of and there is still ample expendable money, then you probably have a point. But I'm not going to live like shit just so I can continue to live like shit when I'm too old to do anything cool.
ZackieChan
(03-21-2017, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by TylerD

I'm glad that my fiance and I get so much more out of experiences than material possessions. She is going to let me take over all the finances when she starts her full time job in May. I'm teaching her about the power of managing our money and have been using YNAB since 07/16. We are able to stow away more for investing, house down payment and other important stuff and also have way more for taking vacations and making memories together.

When you have a stronger grasp on your money, a lot of worries fade away.

Yep, YNAB literally changed my life and has me on track to retire early. I was a mess before that.

Originally Posted by BamfMeat

19 year old confirmed.

I decided that playing the stock market was a bad idea when my grandma made a shitton of money buying and selling stocks in an oil firm in the 80s, only to lose a large chunk of it because she invested heavily in a few companies (you know, like your Netflix and Tesla statements) in the early 90s.

One of those really bad investments was Polaroid. Until the 90s, Polaroid did fucking fantastic. Then almost overnight, they hit the shit pot and that was that. She lost 10s of thousands because they just went bankrupt, which meant all her stock was worthless.

For all of your "DO YOUR RESEARCH" statements, you don't seem like you've done much research.

And FWIW, this is coming from someone who DOES love to play the stock market, short term, along with playing blackjack and 3-card poker. I love gambling. But it's not something you do with your savings or retirement.

Yep, dude needs to google the term "efficient capital market hypothesis" and realize he doesn't know shit.
megarockexe
(03-21-2017, 02:07 AM)
I am debt-free and am already saving for retirement. What can I do today to start growing my savings?