• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Metalingus5150
(02-03-2017, 06:15 PM)
Gaf needs a comprehensive investing guide lol
ReAxion
(02-03-2017, 06:16 PM)
people barely have any savings much less expendable income.
Santiako
Expendable income? Never heard of it.

19 year old with no expenses lecturing people on what to do with their disposable income lol
Already Torn
Banned

Originally Posted by Foffy

The average American is shackled to a degree with debt as is.

Of course, the title of the thread makes something sound so simple. Why wouldn't one do it if it would appear to be so obvious?

Most people lack emergency money if something suddenly comes up. They have free money to invest..?

So you're saying most Americans aren't driven enough?

Originally Posted by Santiako

Expendable income? Never heard of it.

19 year old with no expenses lecturing people on what to do with their disposable income lol

Hey.

He has to spend $400/month on rent.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
OP, teach me about this RobinHood thing. I'm curious.

How much do you need to start?
vypek

Originally Posted by Metalingus5150

We have a decent one for investing to retire
Mathaou
legacy of cane
(02-03-2017, 06:17 PM)
Okay. So I may have sounded like I was gloating. I apologize for that. Instead of me asking, here's me telling:
  1. The stock market is your friend. Invest any spare money you have into it and you'll be set.
  2. If you're afraid to take risks, just choose index funds. Those are a very smart bet.
  3. If you like to take risks and you have money that you don't necessarily need then put that into riskier stocks (ONLY AFTER COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF RESEARCH HAVE BEEN DONE))
  4. Obviously it isn't for everyone. If you can't afford it that's fine. I'm saying that if you can go for it. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad.
  5. If you can live below your means. I'm fairly lucky in that I live in a place where real estate is inexpensive. I also cook for myself and don't spend money that often aside from bills and the occasional large purchase or food.
Foffy

Originally Posted by Titanoboa

So you're saying most Americans aren't driven enough?

Drive doesn't mean anything if the "vehicle" of society is giving you a lemon and shredded tires. ;)
m23
So you have barely any expenses and are asking why people don't invest their expendable income...
FallingEdge
This OP and thread is millennial as fuck.
KiKaL

Originally Posted by Mathaou

I'm not a dumbass I do a fuckton of research.

There is your answer for the people who do have expendable income and don't. Some people don't have the time or don't want to make the time to do that research. You could even make the argument that the profit that could be made is not worth the cost of the time spent researching. That of course, depends on the person and their situation.
rokkerkory
I think it's probably because they don't know how to
Trey

We have two.

http://neogaf.site/forum/showthre...ocks+investing

http://neogaf.site/forum/showthre...ocks+investing
Skel1ingt0n
I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
(02-03-2017, 06:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

They don't have expendable income thats why.

This is a perfect reply.

You're in college and you have disposable money - and that's awesome. Kudos to you for recognizing how lucky you are to have parents willing to foot the bill.

I had a 4.3GPA in HS, was in six or seven clubs, and worked 40 hours a week. I applied for over a dozen "gimmie" scholarships, and got one. With nobody covering my costs, I worked three jobs all through college and STILL graduated with over $50K in debt for an in-state university.

I can't tell you how many times I had to debate between $3 at McDonalds for lunch or $4 in gas so I didn't have to run 4 miles to work.

Now, granted, I think as you work up in the workforce - you're right - people should be more intelligent with their money.
Hoo-doo
No but seriously, let's say I have 5K to invest right now, which is true. I could.

Where would I even invest it in? I have absolutely 0.0 knowledge of the stock market or investing in general. Am I likely to just piss away that cash because I don't know what i'm doing?

It always felt like a gamble to me, and not the get-rich-quick scheme you make it sound like.
ssolitare
OP, did your parents teach and instill investing into you? Do they invest?

If both those answers are yes, it became a learned behavior of yours. You get all kinds of stuff from your folks. But a lot of people don't learn and incorporate those investing behaviors and mindsets. So that's one reason why.

Another is that you can still afford luxuries with your investing.
Last edited by ssolitare; 02-03-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Glix

I don't know how to do it. Even that robinhood site seems intimidating to me.

Aren't we all gamers? There have been stock market games since the NES days. They can help you with feeling somewhat more comfortable.
demosthenes
(02-03-2017, 06:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Titanoboa

I think that poster meant once your parents stop paying for everything and you can't rely on loans. And then you try to get a job with that cheap small college degree.

A small college degree can be gone if it's not English or liberal arts.
echoshifting
(02-03-2017, 06:20 PM)
It's not just a matter of having the money available. Retirement savings are one thing, but if it were as easy as op suggests to make continuous profit just by doing a "fuckton of research" on a small handful of companies and selecting a few individual stocks to buy into, obviously more people would be doing it.

He'll figure that out eventually
Last edited by echoshifting; 02-03-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Familienoberhauptvogel
(02-03-2017, 06:20 PM)
The concept of make your money work for you isn't popular. For me, I just have no disposable income and if I had, I have expensive hobbies.
harSon
(02-03-2017, 06:22 PM)
Because I went to college in the Bay Area, and $400 here would get you a walk in closet in a crack house.
Trey

Okay. So I may have sounded like I was gloating. I apologize for that. Instead of me asking, here's me telling:

1. The stock market is your friend. Invest any spare money you have into it and you'll be set.
  2. If you're afraid to take risks, just choose index funds. Those are a very smart bet.
  3. If you like to take risks and you have money that you don't necessarily need then put that into riskier stocks (ONLY AFTER COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF RESEARCH HAVE BEEN DONE))
  4. Obviously it isn't for everyone. If you can't afford it that's fine. I'm saying that if you can go for it. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad.
  5. If you can live below your means. I'm fairly lucky in that I live in a place where real estate is inexpensive. I also cook for myself and don't spend money that often aside from bills and the occasional large purchase or food.

So you understand that people are different and have different goals in life and with their money. By all means, lead the charge on awareness. Lord knows I've tried with family and friends.

You seem to understand the major reasons why people don't invest, so you too can see that your focus is perhaps in the wrong place? It's the institution that is failing the people, not the other way around.
How About No

Originally Posted by Ray Wonder

What's expendable income mean I've never heard of that

I think it's some synonym for Beer Money

If that's the case that money is going exactly where it needs to go
Chorazin
(02-03-2017, 06:23 PM)
"Why doesn't everyone have my level of privilege? I just don't get it!"

Come on dude. Seriously? People are barely able to buy fucking FOOD every month, let alone squirrel away into a 401K.
Zefah

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Because people don't want to play the long game. Most want instant gratification.

I think a lot of younger people, (honestly myself included), are simply not confident in the future. It's really hard to imagine 30 or 40 years in the future when it feels like we're on the brink of societal collapse sometimes.
Mathaou
legacy of cane

Originally Posted by Deadly Cyclone

OP, teach me about this RobinHood thing. I'm curious.

How much do you need to start?

Robinhood is an app - more like a platform for an investing firm. Their purpose is to democratize the stock market by making it more accessible. Download it on your phone and follow the steps. There are a few things you need to do, because as stated earlier, this is a legit brokerage and they need to follow all of the guidelines outlined by the FTC to protect against abuse of the stock market.
SETUP:
Be prepared to provide your social security number (REROUTED THROUGH THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT SO ITS COMPLETELY SECURE)
And then bank account information. They will then deposit two amounts under a dollar into your account and ask you to confirm those amounts to prove you are the owner of this account. You need your account number, routing number, and the bank you are with.
INVESTING:
After your account has been reviewed and you are approved, you can deposit money from your account into your buying power in the app. Then you just look up a stock and select buy. You can sell stocks by selecting your share and selling them.

This is how to get started. Further research into the stock market and individual stocks should be done by YOU. Do a lot of googling there are tons of guides.

Good one here.
WolfeTone

So my strategy is just to put $600/month into Netflix, Tesla, and a S&P 500 retirement fund, and maybe some Amazon if I stumble across $800. These are really stable stocks and I've only made money thus far. Why aren't more people investing?!

Good for you for saving. You're quite fortunate to be able to put that much away per month. Keep that habit up and you'll have a nice retirement fund.

I'm curious though, what kind of a return are you generating on the Netflix and Tesla stocks? How much time do you spend researching? What makes you think that all the information you source through your research isn't already factored into the price of the stock?
SmackDaddy
Banned
(02-03-2017, 06:24 PM)
"Stop being poor!" Paris Hilton shirt.jpg
Ucchedavāda

I'm a huge planner. I can't stand not knowing what I'm going to do in the future in terms of important shit like finances.

Do you have an emergency fund besides your investments? Because otherwise you risk being forced to sell off stock at an inopportune moment, in order to pay for an unexpected expense, assuming that you even have that option to do so at the time.

But to answer your question, I think that it is a combination of a lack of funds, a lack of knowledge about how to invest, and simply not prioritizing long-term investments in the first place.
Ray Wonder

Originally Posted by How About No

I think it's some synonym for Beer Money

If that's the case that money is going exactly where it needs to go

Ohhhhhhh I see now. OP, why would I take away my beer money for some silly investments?
NOLA_Gaffer
Most people don't know how the stock market works, and thus aren't interested. Others see it as basically the lottery-a volatile way to save your money.
Hoo-doo
(02-03-2017, 06:25 PM)
Is there a investing simulator out there that follows the actual stock market or something like that?

I mean, I have savings, i'd like to learn how to make my money work for me. But i'm going to need to start out with a trial run for suresies.
Amory
(02-03-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Chorazin

"Why doesn't everyone have my level of privilege? I just don't get it!"

Come on dude. Seriously? People are barely able to buy fucking FOOD every month, let alone squirrel away into a 401K.

Nah, c'mon.

He said why don't people invest "expendable" income. Food, clothes, bill, housing money isn't expendable income.

I don't think OP was talking about people living hand to mouth.
Mathaou
legacy of cane
(02-03-2017, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Trey

So you understand that people are different and have different goals in life and with their money. By all means, lead the charge on awareness. Lord knows I've tried with family and friends.

You seem to understand the major reasons why people don't invest, so you too can see that your focus is perhaps in the wrong place? It's the institution that is failing the people, not the other way around.

I completely agree. I was trying to prod people into investing but I seem to have poked the hornets nest. But Robinhood is working to fix this.

This app is really fucking fantastic.
Ray Wonder

Is there a investing simulator out there that follows the actual stock market or something like that?

I mean, I have savings, i'd like to learn how to make my money work for me. But i'm going to need to start out with a trial run for suresies.

I did one before and it made me depressed because I wasn't investing
Valtýr
Just downloaded Robinhood. Never done any sort of investment stuff before. Figure what the hey, I got some money to kick around.
Zefah

Originally Posted by echoshifting

You should really hire someone to help you build a real portfolio if you want to do this

Better make sure you can trust them after today.

Well, you should also know you can't trust them.
Zel3
(02-03-2017, 06:27 PM)

Most people who have a job have expendable income. Even if it's just ~$100 you can invest that. Slowly grow your portfolio.

So, being a 19 year old college student with loans and financial aid and whatnot and the small remainder of my tuition paid for by my parents (very lucky for that bit), I don't really have any bills to pay thus far until June when I move into an apartment, where rent will be ~$420 (YAY CHEAP SMALL COLLEGES). I have a job that I work about 20 hours/week at, one paycheck from that is ~$450 totaling about ~$900 made a month. Since I have all of that as disposable income and I prefer to invest rather than save, I put pretty much all of my money into stocks, leaving myself around ~$100 for food and whatnot.

So my strategy is just to put $600/month into Netflix, Tesla, and a S&P 500 retirement fund, and maybe some Amazon if I stumble across $800. These are really stable stocks and I've only made money thus far. Why aren't more people investing?!

Let's see, you have help from your parents and financial aid, that's probably why you can invest your extra money and other people can't.
cubicle47b
(02-03-2017, 06:28 PM)

GAF has an investment thread or you can go to r/personalfinance on Reddit and use a handy guide like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfin...i/commontopics
AstroNut325
I will start investing again soon. I had to pause to help pay for the home purchase and all the renovations that were mandatory. Finances are finally returning to normal/routine. Will start putting into my non-retirement investment account soon. The non-retirement investment helped a ton with the home purchase though!

I already have a retirement account through my employer.
platypotamus
PLATYPOTAMUS is evolving!
PLATYPOTAMUS evolved into PLATYPOTAMOTATIMUS!
Too low of a chance of surviving long enough and investments surviving long enough to be worth the effort
Kwixotik
(02-03-2017, 06:29 PM)
Hahahaha. Expendable income. That's a nice idea. Just "$100".

Good one, OP
Keri

Originally Posted by Zel3

Let's see, you have help from your parents and financial aid, that's probably why you can invest your extra money and other people can't.

And student loans. He's investing instead of paying off loans. How much in student loan debt do you have OP? What are the interest rates like?
Mr. Blonde

Originally Posted by egruntz

19 year old college student whose expenses are in part being covered? You must know everything.

lmao. my thoughts exactly.

"why dont people who are poor just ask their parents for money?"

Also if your student loan interest rates exceed your rate of return on your stocks, then you're coming out behind..but im sure you already knew that.

I completely agree. I was trying to prod people into investing but I seem to have poked the hornets nest. But Robinhood is working to fix this.

This app is really fucking fantastic.

robinhood is nice if you just want to buy a few shares and dont care about having a margin account, selling short, etc

For an account that lets you invest on margin and sell short, I recommend interactivebrokers. You need five figures to open an account, but it's very cheap and lets you do everything. It has a sterling reputation and has been around forever.
Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 02-03-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Mathaou
legacy of cane

Originally Posted by WolfeTone

Good for you for saving. You're quite fortunate to be able to put that much away per month. Keep that habit up and you'll have a nice retirement fund.

I'm curious though, what kind of a return are you generating on the Netflix and Tesla stocks? How much time do you spend researching? What makes you think that all the information you source through your research isn't already factored into the price of the stock?

I don't look at estimates or anything like that, they just make people obsessed and neurotic. I look at the companies themselves and what they're doing. Recent business dealings. Then I look at the rise of those areas in terms of demand.

Netflix is about to offer every disney movie ever. Means sub counts are going to go up.
AMD - I don't invest in them anymore, might closer to the release of their new card.
NVDIA - pretty good stock. A little too stable and I wanted some more volatile growth so I went with...
TESLA - they are doing a ton of shit and solar and electric and self driving are industries on the rise.
S&P 500 - good index stock. 10% a year on average.
Zefah

Originally Posted by platypotamus

Too low of a chance of surviving long enough and investments surviving long enough to be worth the effort

Not to mention that your retirement age might just coincide with the next big recession/depression.
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
(02-03-2017, 06:30 PM)
Because for the majority of investments, interest rate post taxation is lower than inflation
Rembrandt
that PS4 privilege tho
(02-03-2017, 06:30 PM)

http://www.investopedia.com/simulato...id=dfp-note-pf

Be safe and just put it in mutual funds. Still a better RoI than a savings account.
YuriLowell
(02-03-2017, 06:31 PM)
Most people don't have expendable income.
Mathaou
legacy of cane
(02-03-2017, 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Valtýr

Just downloaded Robinhood. Never done any sort of investment stuff before. Figure what the hey, I got some money to kick around.

It'll be a while before you can invest. Theres a lot of shit you have to do for security. But YAY go for it!