• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

alpha69
Junior Member
(02-23-2017, 03:17 AM)
alpha69's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nightengale

... How does the game run/perform/look on teh Vita?

This.

Thinking of getting this on Vita if the difference is not too much.
sturgboski
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:18 AM)
Hi all, I asked in the Upcoming Vita games thread but figured maybe you all will be able to help me pick which version to pick up:

I like the portability afforded by the Vita, however from what I understand, if I was interested in getting any DLC, its pretty difficult/a pain to switch from my US account to a Signapore account. However, the account situation should not be an issue for the PS4 version, though I lose portability.

Which option would you go with? What sort of DLC comes out, like is it just one off missions or significant content (ie new mechs, new story campaigns)? If I go Vita, will I regret missing out on the DLC? Honestly, this is my first Super Robot Wars game but I have heard great things about this series and the other titles from this company (specifically the Project X Zone games).

Thanks so much in advance!
Parakeetman
No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(02-23-2017, 03:21 AM)
Parakeetman's Avatar

Originally Posted by sturgboski

Hi all, I asked in the Upcoming Vita games thread but figured maybe you all will be able to help me pick which version to pick up:

I like the portability afforded by the Vita, however from what I understand, if I was interested in getting any DLC, its pretty difficult/a pain to switch from my US account to a Signapore account. However, the account situation should not be an issue for the PS4 version, though I lose portability.

Which option would you go with? What sort of DLC comes out, like is it just one off missions or significant content (ie new mechs, new story campaigns)? If I go Vita, will I regret missing out on the DLC? Honestly, this is my first Super Robot Wars game but I have heard great things about this series and the other titles from this company (specifically the Project X Zone games).

Thanks so much in advance!

Since DLC is region locked to a specific account. Unless your Vita is set to said region then yes you would miss out on DLC.

Updates are not tied regionally so they can be downloaded from whatever account.
Strings
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:26 AM)
Strings's Avatar

Originally Posted by sturgboski


What sort of DLC comes out, like is it just one off missions or significant content (ie new mechs, new story campaigns)? If I go Vita, will I regret missing out on the DLC?

For context, there are already 20 additional DLC stages that launched with the game (https://www.famitsu.com/news/201702/22127503.html). They're one-offs with their own self-contained story/fan-service, etc.

I personally think you're better off going with the PS4 version, just because swapping accounts on the Vita is a massive pita / there's a chance they offer more significant DLC in the future (since they seem to be extra serious with it this time around). That said, there's more than enough content in the base game to ignore all of it.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 03:29 AM)
Shouta's Avatar
Remote play is enabled apparently so you can always do that if you prefer playing on the Vita at home. Won't help if you're on the go though, lol
Apharmd
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:36 AM)
About to find out on the VITA ver. Just dove in with them Singaporean PSN cards, so I'll let yall know in a few hours or so.
killatopak
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:37 AM)
killatopak's Avatar
Anddddd

Subscribed.
ATXAlchemy
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:47 AM)
PSA : If you're planning to buy all DLCs anyways, buy this instead.

It has an additional present scenario that gives a ton of shit (playable after mission one). It'd be nice for you SRW weaklings who has to upgrade units and use PP (or TacP in this game). LEL

Buying separately and buying full package results in the same price, except buying separately won't give you the extra present scenario.

Originally Posted by cj_iwakura

I've never played a licensed SRW before, I can't imagine not having Kyosuke and Excellen ripping through fools.

Play SRW Impact then.

Then stuff Alt with 3x V-UP Unit(W).
squall23
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:50 AM)
squall23's Avatar

Originally Posted by Strings

I've honestly just never heard of it. Something I need to watch?

Sadly, Might Gaine's not subbed, unless you're fine with Hong Kong bootleg engrish. But what happens in the story blew people's minds back then and was really a big meta commentary on the anime industry at the time.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 03:54 AM)
Shouta's Avatar
Oh, weird. the PS4 DLC scenarios aren't up yet?

Originally Posted by squall23

Sadly, Might Gaine's not subbed, unless you're fine with Hong Kong bootleg engrish. But what happens in the story blew people's minds back then and was really a big meta commentary on the anime industry at the time.

Might Gaine has decent subs up to 28 or so.
JoeyJungle
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by Shouta

Remote play is enabled apparently so you can always do that if you prefer playing on the Vita at home. Won't help if you're on the go though, lol

I thought remote play worked outside the home? I remember seeing a video of someone playing Resogun via their phone's hotspot when the PS4 first came out.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 03:56 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by JoeyJungle

I thought remote play worked outside the home? I remember seeing a video of someone playing Resogun via their phone's hotspot when the PS4 first came out.

Sure, but you'd still need a strong, stable internet connection to connect to it. =P Using your phone as a hotspot for it while in transit might not be all that great.
SgtWiggles
Member
(02-23-2017, 03:58 AM)
SgtWiggles's Avatar
Anyone know if the DLC in the physical version is just a first print run thing or was it preorder only? Was probably gonna order one in the next week or so, didn't realize it had 2 mechas in it.
ATXAlchemy
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Shouta

Oh, weird. the PS4 DLC scenarios aren't up yet?

It should be. The one I linked in my previous post says it includes PS4 content.

Originally Posted by JoeyJungle

I thought remote play worked outside the home? I remember seeing a video of someone playing Resogun via their phone's hotspot when the PS4 first came out.

Not every area has ISPs that are even half-decent enough to stream your stuff for remote play.
ATXAlchemy
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:02 AM)

Originally Posted by SgtWiggles

Anyone know if the DLC in the physical version is just a first print run thing or was it preorder only? Was probably gonna order one in the next week or so, didn't realize it had 2 mechas in it.

First print. It just lets you use them earlier.
squall23
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:02 AM)
squall23's Avatar

Originally Posted by SgtWiggles

Anyone know if the DLC in the physical version is just a first print run thing or was it preorder only? Was probably gonna order one in the next week or so, didn't realize it had 2 mechas in it.

You just get the Huckebein and Grungust earlier. They'll still show up in the main story eventually without the preorder bonus.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 04:06 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by ATXAlchemy

It should be. The one I linked in my previous post says it includes PS4 content.



Not every area has ISPs that are even half-decent enough to stream your stuff for remote play.

It only shows Vita on my end, I wonder why.

Edit: So there's a unit specific custom bonus at 50% upgrades (not including weapons) and there's a full custom bonus at 100% that you get to pick. The Yamato is really overpowered without upgrades but if I gave it a full custom bonus now, it could equip 4 parts. That's just nuts.
Last edited by Shouta; 02-23-2017 at 04:10 AM.
ATXAlchemy
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Shouta

It only shows Vita on my end, I wonder why.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-...NUSSCENARIOFPK

You're not the chosen one.
JoeyJungle
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Shouta

Sure, but you'd still need a strong, stable internet connection to connect to it. =P Using your phone as a hotspot for it while in transit might not be all that great.

Originally Posted by ATXAlchemy

Not every area has ISPs that are even half-decent enough to stream your stuff for remote play.

I think for a TBS game like this, you wouldn't need that great a connection to get bearable gameplay. But idk, I've never messed around with it.

Originally Posted by SgtWiggles

Anyone know if the DLC in the physical version is just a first print run thing or was it preorder only? Was probably gonna order one in the next week or so, didn't realize it had 2 mechas in it.

I think it's a first print thing, SD Gundam G Generation Genesis had a code slip in the box for the DLC.
MechaX
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:25 AM)
MechaX's Avatar
Evangelion. What stage?!
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 04:27 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by ATXAlchemy

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-...NUSSCENARIOFPK

You're not the chosen one.

Ah, there it is. Too bad I only have 1800 yen left in my account, lol.

Originally Posted by MechaX

Evangelion. What stage?!

Probably won't be until towards the middle.
distantmantra
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:51 AM)
distantmantra's Avatar

Originally Posted by RangerBAD

I wanted to get this, but the last game I imported was 95 dollars in total. It's getting to be too much. DQ11 is probably the only game I'll import this year.

I spent $63 shipped from PlayAsia. That cheaper than me going to the store here in Seattle and buying a new release.
Ken
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:55 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Strings

bruh...

rude
Tsukumo
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:57 AM)
Tsukumo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shouta

Yes, it is.

Wow, they changed the animations for the Huckebein and Grungust quite a bit. Overall, it fits the style of the more recent licensed ones with less frames but more colors and style on the effects. I laughed a bit when I used the micro missiles on the Huckbein because it has a bit of a Itano Circus effect on it, lol It basically looks like the missiles from the recent Macross units, lol

That micro-missiles animation is fantastic. Seeing all the smokes, explosions and smoke trails animated by hand brings me tears of joy.
This game has all the numbers to be one of the best SRW ever.

Originally Posted by Palette Swap

Yeah, that surprised me too. Overall, it looks really great. I expected a minor upgrade over Z3, but so far so good. I guess I'll get to complain when I get FMP units and they still suck.

Just finished stage 3 and so far, I'm really enjoying the story, that Yamato x Crossbone Gundam team up is kind of awesome.
That Ex system, or whatever it is called has huge potential to break the game, considering you can stack multi-attacks with it.
I like the idea of a skill tree, but it's a bit overwhelming, as there are still PPs on top of that shared pool of skills you develop. I'm heading for that super ace skill first.

(I complained earlier about the lack of a Yamato theme, but the default BGM is an arrange of that theme)

Really like this system. I mean, even if you can deploy all units at once because you can't pair them up, you can bench them and get a nice boost to the Ex-count just through the level-ups once you deployed them underlevelled.
Currently playing without upgrades. I started using the bonus parts but then the game got too easy. Without them the situation is more balanced: less 100% hit-rates and 0% dodge rates.
I love that they went for the regenerating seishins. Great choice.

Originally Posted by squall23

I wonder if Obari kept his promise and actually did all the Might Gaine cutins for free.

Don't know about what he got paid but the cut-ins they showed in the Supa Robo stream were god-tier.

Originally Posted by MechaX

Evangelion. What stage?!

Mid-twenties to thirties.
distantmantra
Member
(02-23-2017, 04:58 AM)
distantmantra's Avatar
Also, heads up for people with the English version.

Bandai Namco SEA has been slacking big time on the DLC for SD Gundam G Generation Genesis. We didn't get the January DLC until last week. We might have a similar situation with SRWV. Just be aware.
Sseklebeast
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:00 AM)
Sseklebeast's Avatar
Silly question, can I download the dlc on a Singapore account and use it on my NA account? Sorry if this has been asked before.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(02-23-2017, 05:03 AM)
firehawk12's Avatar
Just watching a video in the OP- none of the story stuff is voiced?
distantmantra
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:04 AM)
distantmantra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sseklebeast

Silly question, can I download the dlc on a Singapore account and use it on my NA account? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Yep!
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 05:08 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Just watching a video in the OP- none of the story stuff is voiced?

Some of the story stuff is voiced, mostly the important scenes. The game has a huge volume of dialogue from a wide variety of characters, so full voice over is pretty difficult to achieve in these games.
Ken
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:14 AM)
Ken's Avatar
do the dlc units just show up in the story?
Mr. Nice_Guy
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:15 AM)
Mr. Nice_Guy's Avatar
Oh god I completely forgot this was coming out already!! I won't be able to play it for months but I am ordering my copy right now.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 05:30 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

do the dlc units just show up in the story?

Yes, they show up later if you don't get the preorder bonus. if you do get the bonus, they show up immediately after stage 1 and before you begin stage 2.
squall23
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:37 AM)
squall23's Avatar

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Just watching a video in the OP- none of the story stuff is voiced?

With the amount of text in these games, the voice acting budget would go through the roof, and unlike most visual novels, most VAs in SRWs are high-end talent and/or veterans.
FinaruDensetsu
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:39 AM)
FinaruDensetsu's Avatar
I can't wait until my copy gets here from P-A!
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(02-23-2017, 05:42 AM)
firehawk12's Avatar

Originally Posted by squall23

With the amount of text in these games, the voice acting budget would go through the roof, and unlike most visual novels, most VAs in SRWs are high-end talent and/or veterans.

Yeah, I know... that's why I was looking forward to it (as a Yamato fan, admittedly). Oh well. I get it, but it's kind of disappointing.
Zippedpinhead
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:44 AM)
Zippedpinhead's Avatar
Does the vita version On play-Asia have english text?

I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger...
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 05:44 AM)
Shouta's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zippedpinhead

Does the vita version On play-Asia have english text?

I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger...

If it's the Asian version, it should, yes.
Ilvocare
Member
(02-23-2017, 05:46 AM)
Ilvocare's Avatar
god fuck I'm still eternally salty over Moon Dwellers getting utterly shafted in translation quality

still gotta play that before I look at this though

also not many series I'm super interested in being repped here either

as someone who learned to like SRW entirely from the OG games, the crossover games are super hit-or-miss for me, so I hope this does well, even if I've heard less than favorable things about animation quality and scenario pacing
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(02-23-2017, 05:48 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar
Subbed and game shipped. Of course I still havent finished Moon Dwellers, but stories are unrelated so I can go back to that later.
SolicitorPirate
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:04 AM)
SolicitorPirate's Avatar
How big is the download file? Trying to decide whether to get physical or digital
squall23
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:08 AM)
squall23's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolicitorPirate

How big is the download file? Trying to decide whether to get physical or digital

Vita is 2.8-ish gigs, PS4 is 6-ish.
VanillaCakeIsBurning
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:15 AM)
VanillaCakeIsBurning's Avatar
Are there any comparison images of the PS4/Vita?

I played the Z series on Vita but I'm wondering if I should make the switch to PS4 if there's any issues with the Vita version for this game.
RyougaSaotome
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:18 AM)
RyougaSaotome's Avatar
I've been playing on the Vita and I can't say I've seen anything super noticable to take me out of the experience.
Strings
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:18 AM)
Strings's Avatar


Ahaha, was just checking the library. Very readable for the most part.
SolicitorPirate
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:19 AM)
SolicitorPirate's Avatar

Originally Posted by squall23

Vita is 2.8-ish gigs, PS4 is 6-ish.

Oh wow! That's nice and compact!

Looks like digital it is then
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(02-23-2017, 06:23 AM)
Teknoman's Avatar
The font looks much better to be sure.
Nightengale
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:26 AM)
Nightengale's Avatar

Originally Posted by RyougaSaotome

I've been playing on the Vita and I can't say I've seen anything super noticable to take me out of the experience.

How would you compare the experience compared to a PS4 SRW like Moon Dwellers?
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 06:47 AM)
Shouta's Avatar
Yes, finally got Might Gaine. My boy!
Apharmd
Member
(02-23-2017, 06:59 AM)
Cleared two stages. Nothing at all that seems out of the ordinary or performance issues on the Vita. Didn't play PS4 SRWs though.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(02-23-2017, 07:21 AM)
Shouta's Avatar
So I just got to stage 11 or so and I just had to laugh.

A certain pilot shows up and it's the exact same image I used in the first post before I changed it. They don't even hide who it is.

Thread Tools