• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

DonMigs85
Member
(03-20-2017, 03:29 AM)
DonMigs85's Avatar
I'm selling my GTX 960 and waiting for the 570 or 580 myself since I have a FreeSync monitor. Doesn't look like Vega will trickle into the midrange anytime soon.
dr_rus
Member
(03-21-2017, 02:19 AM)
dr_rus's Avatar
AMD GPU Linux driver patches lists seven Vega 10 IDs

There are seven Vega 10 SKUs. At the same time, seven Polaris 12 IDs were also included, but there is still no trace of Vega 11.

Renekton
Member
(03-25-2017, 05:50 AM)
Renekton's Avatar
https://videocardz.com/67642/amd-rad...und-the-corner

Not much new except there will be a 4GB variant for notebooks.

I wonder if Vega is nothing more than a shrunken Fiji.
tuxfool
Member
(03-25-2017, 06:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Renekton

https://videocardz.com/67642/amd-rad...und-the-corner

Not much new except there will be a 4GB variant for notebooks.

I wonder if Vega is nothing more than a shrunken Fiji.

Given what they have told us already, it absolutely isn't.
DonMigs85
Member
(03-25-2017, 07:12 AM)
DonMigs85's Avatar
Yeah, it's supposed to have tiling, and the ROPs are now clients of the L2 cache instead of the memory controller. Taking more pages from Nvidia's book.
DemonCleaner
Junior Member
(03-25-2017, 09:40 AM)
DemonCleaner's Avatar
better be dirt cheap this rx500 series. otherwise it's rather pointless and will just piss of consumers.
Coulomb_Barrier
Member
(03-25-2017, 09:49 AM)
Coulomb_Barrier's Avatar

Originally Posted by DemonCleaner

better be dirt cheap this rx500 series. otherwise it's rather pointless and will just piss of consumers.

Really confusing what is what here, as last month a '580' was benched in AotS and scored about 15% faster than the 480.

I dunno if the 580 is a re-brand with a huge clock increase, small Vega 11 or even a small Vega 10. We need some answers. NOWL.
Tenacious-D
Member
(03-25-2017, 09:55 AM)
Tenacious-D's Avatar

Originally Posted by DemonCleaner

better be dirt cheap this rx500 series. otherwise it's rather pointless and will just piss of consumers.

I don't get posts like these. Whose going to be upset? The 580 will probably be 10-15% faster than the 480, so that's a decent upgrade for guys who are running older cards like the GTX960 or R9 280, or guys who have recently bought a FreeSync monitor and don't have the cash for VEGA.
Omeganex9999
Member
(03-25-2017, 09:59 AM)
Omeganex9999's Avatar
I need AMD to release Vega to build a new rig. Seems like I've been waiting forever...
Nydus
Junior Member
(03-25-2017, 10:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Omeganex9999

I need AMD to release Vega to build a new rig. Seems like I've been waiting forever...

I just bought a fury nitro to fuel my freesyncmonitor till vega comes.
DemonCleaner
Junior Member
(03-25-2017, 10:23 AM)
DemonCleaner's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coulomb_Barrier

Really confusing what is what here, as last month a '580' was benched in AotS and scored about 15% faster than the 480.

I dunno if the 580 is a re-brand with a huge clock increase, small Vega 11 or even a small Vega 10. We need some answers. NOWL.

Originally Posted by Tenacious-D

I don't get posts like these. Whose going to be upset? The 580 will probably be 10-15% faster than the 480, so that's a decent upgrade for guys who are running older cards like the GTX960 or R9 280, or guys who have recently bought a FreeSync monitor and don't have the cash for VEGA.

580 is full polaris 10 with ~ 1350 MHz clock

which should result rather in a 7 % perf gain compared to a non ref card (non throtteling)

even if it's 15 % across the board, thats rather bad regarding you usually see a 50-100% gain on perf per price on a full generational update (~2 year circle).
DonMigs85
Member
(03-25-2017, 10:24 AM)
DonMigs85's Avatar
It's not as bad as the Tahiti rebrand at least... Those were essentially the same cards with no process improvement.
DemonCleaner
Junior Member
(03-25-2017, 10:41 AM)
DemonCleaner's Avatar
might still be that, if they just shrunk the overclocking headroom. (my 480 clocked stable to 1380 MHz). but i don't think that thats the case.

i guess best case scenario would if they increased memory bandwith complementary to clock speeds, as there were situation where this seemed to be the 480s bottleneck (w3 forest sections for example).



would still be a decent buy if prices would be lowered sub 200 USD/EUR vat included for the 8GB model
Coulomb_Barrier
Member
(03-25-2017, 07:11 PM)
Coulomb_Barrier's Avatar

Originally Posted by DemonCleaner

580 is full polaris 10 with ~ 1350 MHz clock

which should result rather in a 7 % perf gain compared to a non ref card (non throtteling)

even if it's 15 % across the board, thats rather bad regarding you usually see a 50-100% gain on perf per price on a full generational update (~2 year circle).

It's better than nothing. It's only been 1 year since Polaris.

On the other side Nvidia will just have the same 1050s/1060s in the price bracket for the rest of this year at least. Brilliant opportunity to decisively take the performance crown in the $200 price bracket for ATI.
SolidSnakeUS
Member
(03-26-2017, 01:44 AM)
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
Seriously, it's really disappointing that AMD is waiting to almost the beginning of Summer for VEGA to be released (supposedly late May, early June). The fact it will be released over 2 months after the 1080 Ti, that's pretty bad. I want AMD to do well and be more competitive in the high end desktop market, but their timing hasn't been good. Their timing hasn't been that good for a long time. Ryzen was the best timed thing they've done in years.
Irobot82
Member
(03-26-2017, 11:48 PM)
Irobot82's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS

Seriously, it's really disappointing that AMD is waiting to almost the beginning of Summer for VEGA to be released (supposedly late May, early June). The fact it will be released over 2 months after the 1080 Ti, that's pretty bad. I want AMD to do well and be more competitive in the high end desktop market, but their timing hasn't been good. Their timing hasn't been that good for a long time. Ryzen was the best timed thing they've done in years.

Unless AMD can get away from Global Foundries it's just going to keep going this way.
dr_rus
Member
(03-27-2017, 10:43 PM)
dr_rus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Irobot82

Unless AMD can get away from Global Foundries it's just going to keep going this way.

What's Global Foundries have to do with AMD waiting on availability of HBM2 for a certain price?
sfried
Member
(03-27-2017, 10:54 PM)
sfried's Avatar
Does AMD have any plans to replace the R9 Nano? I could use a brand new small form factor GPU.

I saw the 1080 actually being available now in miniITX, but it might be a steep price to pay.
Tenacious-D
Member
(03-27-2017, 10:56 PM)
Tenacious-D's Avatar

Originally Posted by sfried

Does AMD have any plans to replace the R9 Nano? I could use a brand new small form factor GPU.

I saw the 1080 actually being available now in miniITX, but it might be a steep price to pay.

VEGA is replacing the R9 Fury series, so you might get a MINIVEGA somewhere down the line.

You also might not. It's all speculation at the moment.
Pop-O-Matic
Member
(03-27-2017, 10:56 PM)
Pop-O-Matic's Avatar

Originally Posted by sfried

Does AMD have any plans to replace the R9 Nano? I could use a brand new small form factor GPU.

I saw the 1080 actually being available now in miniITX, but it might be a steep price to pay.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a Vega-based successor to the Nano.
sfried
Member
(03-27-2017, 10:57 PM)
sfried's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pop-O-Matic

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a Vega-based successor to the Nano.

I would be down for that, even if it wasn't the highest end one (as long as its higher than my Nano). That said, it would be nice if pricing was better than Nano's initial $500.
dr_rus
Member
(03-29-2017, 11:45 PM)
dr_rus's Avatar
AMD Radeon RX 570 and 580 exposed





IgotElbows
Member
(03-29-2017, 11:48 PM)
IgotElbows's Avatar
Was thinking of getting a 1060 soon.
Would a 570/580 be a better choice? For same 200-250$ price.
Unknown Soldier
Banned
(03-29-2017, 11:49 PM)
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
So just rebadged and slightly overclocked 470/480. I don't even know why they bother. It's not as if rebranding 200 series as 300 magically made them sell.
dr_rus
Member
(03-30-2017, 12:14 AM)
dr_rus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier

So just rebadged and slightly overclocked 470/480. I don't even know why they bother. It's not as if rebranding 200 series as 300 magically made them sell.

It did actually, but mostly because they doubled the VRAM on 300 series. Doesn't look like anything of the sort for the 500 so yeah, seems like a mostly pointless lineup switch.
Rushersauce
Banned
(03-30-2017, 12:18 AM)
Meh, should have rebranded the 480 as 570, and the 470 as 560. That would have been a good rebranding, at least.
chaosblade
Member
(03-30-2017, 12:20 AM)
chaosblade's Avatar
I still think it's for manufacturers. I expected them to transition to a 500 series with Vega if only because of that well before it was confirmed, and had people telling me I was wrong and that Vega was totally going to be higher tiers in the 400 series and Fury replacements.

Manufacturers selling prebuilt PCs want higher numbers than the old model to be able to list for their systems. Even if the performance difference is negligible they can get away with marking up a PC with a brand new 580 for more than one with an old hat 480.

Nvidia has done the same thing, but without pushing the cards to retail. I know there was an OEM-only GTX 300 series.
Pop-O-Matic
Member
(03-30-2017, 12:20 AM)
Pop-O-Matic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rushersauce

Meh, should have rebranded the 480 as 570, and the 470 as 560. That would have been a good rebranding, at least.

Thing is that Vega will probably end up using 590 and/or Fury branding so you'd be left without a 580.
Unknown Soldier
Banned
(03-30-2017, 12:27 AM)
Unknown Soldier's Avatar

Originally Posted by chaosblade

I still think it's for manufacturers. I expected them to transition to a 500 series with Vega if only because of that well before it was confirmed, and had people telling me I was wrong and that Vega was totally going to be higher tiers in the 400 series and Fury replacements.

Manufacturers selling prebuilt PCs want higher numbers than the old model to be able to list for their systems. Even if the performance difference is negligible they can get away with marking up a PC with a brand new 580 for more than one with an old hat 480.

Nvidia has done the same thing, but without pushing the cards to retail. I know there was an OEM-only GTX 300 series.

You may be right, but I've never seen a single pre-built desktop PC with an AMD card. They all use Intel graphics now, except for a few Alienware-type gaming PCs which have Nvidia.

Nvidia also had the OEM-only GTX 800M series, rebadges of 700M specifically for laptops. This is why on the desktop we skipped directly from the GTX 700 to the GTX 900 series.
PFD
Member
(03-30-2017, 02:36 AM)
PFD's Avatar
R9 300 series was a slam dunk, so this isn't too bad
DemonCleaner
Junior Member
(03-30-2017, 05:22 AM)
DemonCleaner's Avatar

Originally Posted by dr_rus

It did actually, but mostly because they doubled the VRAM on 300 series. Doesn't look like anything of the sort for the 500 so yeah, seems like a mostly pointless lineup switch.

so this only makes any sense if they lower the MSRP significantly
Renekton
Member
(03-30-2017, 05:32 AM)
Renekton's Avatar
390 outperformed 290X by quite a bit nowadays, I guess that's kinda okay.

AMD dodged a small bullet when NV partner title Mass Effect missed the mark. My friends and I were looking to eat the markups to upgrade for the game, but now we can slowly wait till Vega, x299 and x390
AmyS
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:27 AM)
Posted?







http://wccftech.com/vega-teaser-slides-leak-nda/

Edit: or early April fools?
Renekton
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:35 AM)
Renekton's Avatar
Someone in r/AMD did some speculation on Vega performance, and it looks reasonable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ying_the_hype/

tuxfool
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:35 AM)

That’s right folks. If our sources are correct, you’re holding onto some underwhelming mid-range graphics cards that will be completely decimated by AMD’s newest architecture (at least according to the leaked slides). I am personally blown away by this new info. It’s simply unbelievable that AMD managed to spank NVIDIA so hard, with a much smaller R&D budget. Mind you, we should wait for third party reviews, but the spread this slide suggests is just massive! Check out this glorious slide featuring Vega completely decimating the competition.

What? The graphs have no axes, wtf are they talking about? What are they comparing them against?
McHuj
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:36 AM)
McHuj's Avatar
2x faster than what? 1080 or some low end / mid tier part.
Sotha_Sil
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:42 AM)
Sotha_Sil's Avatar

Originally Posted by tuxfool

What? The graphs have no axes, wtf are they talking about? What are they comparing them against?

I like and use AMD, but their promotional slides are such a joke. I'm happy with my 480 4gb, but the right price/performance with Vega could get me to upgrade.
dIEHARD
Fleer
(04-01-2017, 03:44 AM)
dIEHARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by AmyS


uhhh where's the fan or vents for it?
tuxfool
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Sotha_Sil

I like and use AMD, but their promotional slides are such a joke. I'm happy with my 480 4gb, but the right price/performance with Vega could get me to upgrade.

They're all guilty of using shitty graphs in their marketing. However, people used to seeing these things should know better than to blurt out garbage. AMD might not even be comparing it to the same GPUs.
chaosblade
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:45 AM)
chaosblade's Avatar
WCCF is the site that said 480s overclock amazingly and when OC'd they compared favorably to the 1070. I wouldn't trust anything from them.

Originally Posted by dIEHARD

uhhh where's the fan or vents for it?

If real, it's probably taking after the Fury X and is liquid cooled, so no fan on the card.
Jest Chillin
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:46 AM)
Jest Chillin's Avatar

Originally Posted by dIEHARD

uhhh where's the fan or vents for it?

I'm far from knowledgable about these things but that looks like a design that would connect to a water cooler.

Edit: Something like this.

Last edited by Jest Chillin; 04-01-2017 at 03:48 AM.
tuxfool
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:47 AM)

Originally Posted by chaosblade

WCCF is the site that said 480s overclock amazingly and when OC'd they compared favorably to the 1070. I wouldn't trust anything from them

Sure, but that paragraph is brazen, even from them.
Sinistral
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:50 AM)
Sinistral's Avatar
The Vega stuff is an aprils fools joke. Check the last slide with all the foot notes.
dIEHARD
Fleer
(04-01-2017, 03:50 AM)
dIEHARD's Avatar


ahh this slide would explain my earlier question

I thought the name of the card was actually Vega.. why the Rage moniker? Vega Rage sounds dumb

edit: oh fuck you WCCFtech, claim april fools but you know you doing this shit for hits

goddamn they even had the same specs for the last 2 cards, i feel stupid
Last edited by dIEHARD; 04-01-2017 at 03:54 AM.
tuxfool
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:52 AM)
Of course, the other alternative here is that it is all an April fools prank. I couldn't see it before but the date at the bottom of the slides is April 1st.
Coldsun
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:57 AM)
Coldsun's Avatar

Originally Posted by dIEHARD



ahh this slide would explain my earlier question

I thought the name of the card was actually Vega.. why the Rage moniker? Vega Rage sounds dumb

edit: oh fuck you WCCFtech, claim april fools but you know you doing this shit for hits

goddamn they even had the same specs for the last 2 cards, i feel stupid

Why? Because they used it in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage
AmyS
Member
(04-01-2017, 03:57 AM)
Oh, I missed this one, lol.



Nice April Fools :P
dIEHARD
Fleer
(04-01-2017, 03:58 AM)
dIEHARD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coldsun

Why? Because they used it in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage

I maintain its stupid and they won't.
Rushersauce
Banned
(04-01-2017, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by AmyS

Oh, I missed this one, lol.



Nice April Fools :P

What if true? What if it really delivers?
Coldsun
Member
(04-01-2017, 04:07 AM)
Coldsun's Avatar

Originally Posted by dIEHARD

I maintain its stupid and they won't.

Except that apparently the R in fact does stand for Rage.

RX = Rage X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAlb...outu.be&t=1959

Thread Tools