• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Sulik2
(03-03-2017, 07:17 PM)
Well its not a shot for shot remake at least, but it sounds like everything they added is bad. The animated movie is a near perfect film, just go watch it again.
GodOnlyNose
(03-03-2017, 07:18 PM)
This is one of those movies were reviews mean absolutely nothing. It's going to make major bread.
- J - D -
Not surprising that the supporting cast is where the film shines.
adj_noun

Originally Posted by Sulik2

just go watch it again.

That's the plan a day or two before I go see it.

Originally Posted by GodOnlyNose

This is one of those movies were reviews mean absolutely nothing. It's going to make major bread.

My layman's perspective on the point of the remakes is Disney is manufacturing a Mars capable rocketship, but the rocketship only uses cash for fuel, so they will need all the cash to make planetfall.
Demoncarnotaur
(03-03-2017, 07:21 PM)
I don't expect it to be as masterful as the animated classic, but I do hope I'll enjoy it.

Mid 70's seems like where this one will land.. I won't lie though, I expected higher after The Jungle Book.
Creaking
(03-03-2017, 07:21 PM)
Yeah, even if it stays positive, it's going to have a low average. I think they got the wrong people for this project, especially behind the camera.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(03-03-2017, 07:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Demoncarnotaur

I don't expect it to be as masterful as the animated classic, but I do hope I'll enjoy it.

Mid 70's seems like where this one will land.. I won't lie though, I expected higher after The Jungle Book.

The movie has never looked particularity good in trailers.
y2dvd
(03-03-2017, 07:28 PM)
Can't say I'm surprised by the mediocrity. The trailers did nothing for me. I will always have my animated classic!
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-03-2017, 07:32 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

Live action just means real sets and scenery + "realistic" looking cgi things these days.

I know, I'm just poking at how that makes its meaning meaningless. It's some weird Orwell shit.

"Oh, Live action basically just means none of the things it was ever intended to mean, is all. The only "live" aspect is the set, which just sits there and doesn't do anything. Everything else is fully animated in a computer. You know - live action."
Last edited by Bobby Roberts; 03-03-2017 at 07:36 PM.
manzoman96
(03-03-2017, 07:39 PM)
Yeah I think I'll just stick to my blu-ray of the original. Trailers looked really mediocre.
Fury451
(03-03-2017, 07:55 PM)
I'm actually genuinely surprised by the tepid response. Thought this would be a surefire slam dunk.
Demoncarnotaur
(03-03-2017, 08:19 PM)

Originally Posted by JB1981

The movie has never looked particularity good in trailers.

Yeah... but it didn't look awful either, so I was hoping for the best.
Jigorath
(03-03-2017, 08:54 PM)
Maybe stop casting Emma Watson in things.
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(03-03-2017, 08:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Jigorath

Maybe stop casting Emma Watson in things.

It has a 78% on RT and is tracking to make like a billion dollars.

She's not going to "stop being cast" in things.
Jigorath
(03-03-2017, 09:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

Oh well.
peanutbutterlatte
(03-03-2017, 09:05 PM)
The Gaston clip looked like a high school production of the animated original...
opricnik
(03-03-2017, 09:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

If it makes 1 billion im literally quiting ln movie bets . No chance

600M+ is my educated guess
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(03-03-2017, 10:19 PM)
So the added stuff is shit? Smh. Thought the movie seemed pretty redundant but was hoping at least menken would give us some good new musical sequences here
Bobby Roberts
Lore Expert
(03-03-2017, 10:42 PM)

Originally Posted by opricnik

If it makes 1 billion im literally quiting ln movie bets . No chance

600M+ is my educated guess

I mean, depending on how well it's received despite the okay-to-pretty good reviews it's getting, it could clear 600 domestically.
Blasian Persuasion
Corona Drug Bust
(03-03-2017, 10:48 PM)
I think I'll pass. I haven't seen the original since I was 3 and the trailers didn't do anything for me.
starmud
(03-03-2017, 11:04 PM)
It'll be a fun watch and will make mad bank, people will say they love it... and it'll end up forgotten and the classic will take its rightful place again.

Cycle with all these Disney remakes... they've all been pretty mediocre if you want to sit back and judge the film on its own merits
KillGore
(03-03-2017, 11:25 PM)
It's currently at 74%. Why all the doom and gloom? Or am I missing something here
HStallion
(03-03-2017, 11:58 PM)
I think movies like this might be review proof in a sense. Its going to do gang busters even if its terrible.
AndersK
(03-04-2017, 02:50 AM)

Originally Posted by KillGore

It's currently at 74%. Why all the doom and gloom? Or am I missing something here

That's 2,9 BvS'es. I had this pegged at AT LEAST 3,7 BvS'es.

I will patiently wait for the Ultimate LeFou cut.

I expected this to be higher, but 70ish is still very decent. The real meltdowns happen if Lion King ends hereabouts
shira
(03-04-2017, 02:51 AM)

The New Beauty and the Beast Is a Lifeless Re-creation of the Original (Vulture)

Unfortunately, it’s over two hours long, and is padded out by a hugely unnecessary number of non–Ashman-Rice musical numbers and a pointless detour where Belle finds out what happened to her missing mother. At every turn, the film seems to ask itself if what the original film did was enough, and answers with a definitive “no.” But hey, at least that clock looked real.

Ayyyy.
kunonabi
(03-04-2017, 03:01 AM)
Wasn't really pleased with the casting and other changes so poor reviews solidifies this as a pass for me.
NorthAndSouth
(03-04-2017, 03:03 AM)
Yeah. Unfortunately I thought the trailers and clips looked rather soul less. I never thought reviews would be this polarizing though
George Oscar Bluth II
(03-04-2017, 03:15 AM)

Unfortunately, it’s over two hours long, and is padded out by a hugely unnecessary number of non–Ashman-Rice musical numbers and a pointless detour where Belle finds out what happened to her missing mother.

The new songs are no good?
Parahan
(03-04-2017, 03:24 AM)
I thought from the trailers the film set looked a bit on the cheaper side and now Bad CGI?! How is that even possible for a Disney movie? Looks like they didn't have much faith in the twilight director?

Originally Posted by Oersted

Shame what happened to Grint, had the most talent out of the 3 HP leads.

Wait, what happened to grint? I always thought the cast of HP were some of the most well-adjusted child actors
MoonsaultSlayer
(03-04-2017, 03:39 AM)
I saw that they had a Christopher Gans/Vincent Cassel version in stores. Was that any good?

I bought because I like their pairing in Brotherhood of the Wolf and even liked Gans' visual flair with Silent Hill.
Creaking
(03-04-2017, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Parahan

Wait, what happened to grint? I always thought the cast of HP were some of the most well-adjusted child actors

Pretty sure he's fine, he just doesn't do much acting.
GabeTheGrouch76
(03-04-2017, 03:55 AM)
Not too surprised by the "it's okay"/polarized reviews. This film always felt like it was lacking something to it IMO. Though I'm surprised the initial crop of reviews / RT score was mixed-negative.

That said, I'm even more surprised at the segment of GAF that considers The Jungle Book remake to be trash. It was easily one of the best films I saw last year. :/
pixelation
(03-04-2017, 04:21 AM)
One look at the CGI beast and i knew it wouldn't be anywhere near good.
DOWN
(03-04-2017, 04:27 AM)
74% pretty good. So as inoffensive as Marvel but not that heart warmer of Cinderella and Jungle Book
CloudWolf
(03-04-2017, 06:59 AM)
It's actually reviewing much better than I thought it would. The trailers looked awful.
Sub Boss
(03-04-2017, 07:06 AM)
Very solid reviews so far
overcast
(03-04-2017, 07:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Demoncarnotaur

Yeah... but it didn't look awful either, so I was hoping for the best.

I mean that's what the "eh it's okay" reviews are here for :]
Burbeting
(03-04-2017, 08:11 AM)
Emma Watson passed the starring role of La La Land for this movie. Hmmh..

The trailers didn't do much for me, so I've been skeptical.
ZeoVGM
formerly omg rite
(03-04-2017, 08:14 AM)
There on day one. Looks great.
sirap
(03-04-2017, 08:18 AM)
Average, as expected. Still gonna make bank tho.
DeathyBoy
(03-04-2017, 09:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Creaking

Pretty sure he's fine, he just doesn't do much acting.

He acts on stage sporadically in London and is rich enough to do what he wants orherwise. Plus he'll get dat cheque for the inevitable Harry Potter seboot
milanbaros
Member?
(03-04-2017, 10:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Burbeting

Emma Watson passed the starring role of La La Land for this movie. Hmmh..

The trailers didn't do much for me, so I've been skeptical.

Well, would La La Land have been as successful with Emma Watson instead of Emma Stone? I doubt it, both in box office and awards.

This is guaranteed to be a bigger film than La La Land as well.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad move.
Oersted
(03-04-2017, 11:42 AM)

Originally Posted by milanbaros

Well, would La La Land have been as successful with Emma Watson instead of Emma Stone? I doubt it, both in box office and awards.

This is guaranteed to be a bigger film than La La Land as well.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad move.

Are you trying to say that La La Land with Emma Watson wouldn't have been as commercially successful and critically acclaimed as with Emma Stone?
TarpitCarnivore
(03-04-2017, 12:10 PM)

Unfortunately, it’s over two hours long, and is padded out by a hugely unnecessary number of non–Ashman-Rice musical numbers and a pointless detour where Belle finds out what happened to her missing mother. At every turn, the film seems to ask itself if what the original film did was enough, and answers with a definitive “no.” But hey, at least that clock looked real.

Damn, had a feeling this would happen. Hollywood seems incapable of keeping movies under two hours now and when an original is 84 minutes thats a lot of padding.
Crazyorloco
(03-04-2017, 01:31 PM)
Damn. Well we knew things were off from the trailers. As soon as I heard theme song "Belle" and saw she wasn't even enthusiastic about reading or carrying a book...I felt they didn't care. Still I had hopes. Oh well. This is disappointing.

And two hours long? The original does more with less.

Originally Posted by rrc1594

Man I'm so scared for Lion King

Yeah man. The original is my favorite movie of all time. They're going to mess it up...
milanbaros
Member?
(03-04-2017, 01:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Oersted

Are you trying to say that La La Land with Emma Watson wouldn't have been as commercially successful and critically acclaimed as with Emma Stone?

Yes, that's exactly what my first paragraph is saying.

Emma Stone was highly praised for her performance and I think it contributed to its success.
MarveI
(03-04-2017, 01:58 PM)

Originally Posted by milanbaros

Yes, that's exactly what my first paragraph is saying.

Emma Stone was highly praised for her performance and I think it contributed to its success.

Was she ? I thought she and Ryan were both miscast. Would've much preferred an actor, actress with a more stage, musical background like Anne and Hugh.
Lebron
(03-04-2017, 02:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Crazyorloco

Yeah man. The original is my favorite movie of all time. They're going to mess it up...

Basically same team is doing it that did Jungle Book (well director at least). The film will be fine
kswiston
(03-04-2017, 02:14 PM)

Originally Posted by MarveI

Was she ? I thought she and Ryan were both miscast.

She just won the oscar for best leading actress for her role in La La land, as well as the equivalent award in every major awards ceremony. Personal opinions are always fine, but acting as though you aren't sure if she was acclaimed in the role after that is just being obtuse.
Last edited by kswiston; 03-04-2017 at 02:18 PM.
MarveI
(03-04-2017, 02:18 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

Dhe just won the oscar for best leading actress for her role in La La land, as well as the equivalent award in every major awards ceremony. Personal opinions are always fine, but acting as though you aren't sure if she was acclaimed in the role after that is just being obtuse.

Halle Berry won an oscar. Oscars mean nothing to me.

Every time I post. It's my personal opinion. I thought that much was given.