• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Razgriz-Specter
Member
(03-07-2017, 10:36 PM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar
What is the best season of Australian Survivor & Amazing Race if one was looking to give both a single shot?
The Last Wizard
Member
(03-07-2017, 10:44 PM)
The Last Wizard's Avatar
Pulling for Michaela, she was a beast last season.
kirblar
Member
(03-07-2017, 10:54 PM)
kirblar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

What is the best season of Australian Survivor & Amazing Race if one was looking to give both a single shot?

Australian Survivor only has one season.
hoverboarder
Member
(03-07-2017, 11:00 PM)
hoverboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Razgriz-Specter

What is the best season of Australian Survivor & Amazing Race if one was looking to give both a single shot?

The 2016 season of Australian Survivor is essentially a reboot, as it hadn't aired in over a decade, and its original two seasons aren't supposed to be any good or represent the format well. Depending on where you look, it may be called season 3 or season 1.

As for Amazing Race, I'm a big fan but don't really prefer one season over another. It all blends together for me except for that awful family season. It's always exciting, like with this season of Survivor, seeing returning teams play again. I think the show got better in the teen seasons and especially in its jump to HD because it shows off the world beautifully. The recent seasons, 27 and 28, have been pretty entertaining but I don't analyze the show like I do with Survivor. There's one team I really liked in 27 so I could easily recommend that.
Razgriz-Specter
Member
(03-07-2017, 11:04 PM)
Razgriz-Specter's Avatar

Originally Posted by kirblar

Australian Survivor only has one season.

Originally Posted by hoverboarder

The 2016 season of Australian Survivor is essentially a reboot, as it hadn't aired in over a decade, and its original two seasons aren't supposed to be any good or represent the format well. Depending on where you look, it may be called season 3 or season 1.

As for Amazing Race, I'm a big fan but don't really prefer one season over another. It all blends together for me except for that awful family season. It's always exciting, like with this season of Survivor, seeing returning teams play again. I think the show got better in the teen seasons and especially in its jump to HD because it shows off the world beautifully. The recent seasons, 27 and 28, have been pretty entertaining but I don't analyze the show like I do with Survivor. There's one team I really liked in 27 so I could easily recommend that.

Thanks

Sorry for Amazing Race I meant Australian/Canadian or whatever other International versions are going.
I have seen almost every US season all the way through, only ones I haven't finished are ones that's key episode recordings were messed up by NFL in the old Sunday slot.
Last edited by Razgriz-Specter; 03-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.
silkysmooth
Member
(03-07-2017, 11:16 PM)
silkysmooth's Avatar
Sandra would be the first one gone in my tribe. No way am I letting her get any traction in the game.
TVexperto
Member
(03-07-2017, 11:32 PM)
TVexperto's Avatar
I wish Jay from Season 33 would have returned
TVexperto
Member
(03-07-2017, 11:37 PM)
TVexperto's Avatar
Please delete wrong thread
Last edited by TVexperto; 03-07-2017 at 11:58 PM.
BunnyBear
Banned
(03-08-2017, 02:04 AM)
Excited for this, I'm not getting the pessimism about the cast, it looks fucking great!
UberTag
Member
(03-08-2017, 02:31 AM)
UberTag's Avatar

Originally Posted by spyder_ur

Pretty damn excited about this - snuck up on me. I've gotten back into survivor the last 3-4 seasons with my girlfriend. Every season we pick 5 players and do a pool, counting points by episode.

Dude, don't share your entire scoring system with us and leave us hanging on which of the Season 34 castaways you and your girlfriend have each selected.

Originally Posted by silkysmooth

Sandra would be the first one gone in my tribe. No way am I letting her get any traction in the game.

Nothing would make me happier tomorrow night than to see the Mana tribe go to two tribal councils and for Sandra to survive both without a single vote against her.
Last edited by UberTag; 03-08-2017 at 02:39 AM.
hoverboarder
Member
(03-08-2017, 02:45 AM)
hoverboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by UberTag

Nothing would make me happier tomorrow night than to see the Mana tribe go to two tribal councils and for Sandra to survive both without a single vote against her.

But that would mean Tony, and possibly Varner or Malcolm get voted out. Survivor already has its queen, now we need King TV atop that two time throne.
UberTag
Member
(03-08-2017, 03:05 AM)
UberTag's Avatar

Originally Posted by hoverboarder

But that would mean Tony, and possibly Varner or Malcolm get voted out. Survivor already has its queen, now we need King TV atop that two time throne.

If Varner comes out playing the same way he did in Second Chances, he deserves to get voted out early.
spyder_ur
Member
(03-08-2017, 03:18 PM)
spyder_ur's Avatar

Originally Posted by UberTag

Dude, don't share your entire scoring system with us and leave us hanging on which of the Season 34 castaways you and your girlfriend have each selected.

We pick after the first episode. I know she wants Michaela. Honestly I have no idea who I'm liking for this season.
Last edited by spyder_ur; 03-08-2017 at 03:25 PM.
RepairmanJack
Member
(03-08-2017, 03:27 PM)
RepairmanJack's Avatar

Originally Posted by silkysmooth

Sandra would be the first one gone in my tribe. No way am I letting her get any traction in the game.

I've always been in the mindset that in a game with more than one or two big targets you have to take out the floaters or the dead weight first. If I was any of Tony, Sandra, JT, Sirie, or even Sierra, Malcom and a few others, I would want to band together early on rather than waste the time targeting each other so early.

I always think someone like Hali will win seasons like this for that exact reason.
Leeness
Member
(03-08-2017, 03:50 PM)
Leeness's Avatar
Rooting for Sandra to become three-time-Queen!
RepairmanJack
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:07 PM)
RepairmanJack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leeness

Rooting for Sandra to become three-time-Queen!

Shoot me in the face.
hoverboarder
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:11 PM)
hoverboarder's Avatar
So, I need to lock in my final fantasy (hah) roster. I linked the site in the OP (tribal-council.com)

This is the maximum number of players I can pick. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I'm not necessarilly picking my favorites, but people who I think have the potential to go far or at least earn me points along the way (finding idols, being on tribes that are winning challenges, etc.)

Leeness
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:13 PM)
Leeness's Avatar

Originally Posted by RepairmanJack

Shoot me in the face.

Rude.
DarkChronic
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:15 PM)
DarkChronic's Avatar
Jeff Varner is the only one I recognize. I'll be rooting for him!

(girlfriend recently got me back into this show. Stopped watching after Rupert's season. Just recently rewatched S1-S3. So good)
Justinreideddy
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:23 PM)
Justinreideddy's Avatar
There's some great players in this season. The challenges will be great I can't wait!
coy
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:26 PM)
coy's Avatar

Originally Posted by hoverboarder

Australian Survivor was SO GOOD! Great contestants and I like the winner's story. LaPaglia was great as the host, pretty much perfectly copying everything Probst does. Who was your favorite, and why was it Nick? :)

Nick was such a treat! It's either him or Brooke. When Nick was on RHAP for the finale, I was excited as I knew he'd fit well and bring real good insight about the season.

Originally Posted by Crazymoogle

Australian Survivor was great. The final challenge was basically a movie - they really couldn't ask for more there. The pacing (24 eps?) and level of survival events (storms, starving, etc) really helped too. To be perfectly honest CBS could buy the rights and air this as a season of regular Survivor, and the only thing you'd say is missing is Probst. The quality level is bang-on. Pretty much recommend Aus Survivor and Society Game to anyone desperate for more Survivor seasons.

Society Game you say? I'll look into it. And that final challenge was astonishingly shot and felt truly epic.
kirblar
Member
(03-08-2017, 04:58 PM)
kirblar's Avatar
Nick is a hypocritical ass.
hoverboarder
Member
(03-08-2017, 05:02 PM)
hoverboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by kirblar

Nick is a hypocritical ass.

I think that's part of what makes him so great. I like characters like him, Savage, Varner, even Rodney. They're not great at the game, but they play their hardest with their heart on their sleeve, and often contradict themselves along the way. I'd always prefer a player like that who really tried to make big moves, win challenges, etc. over an UTR player who, yes, played the game in a way the could allow them to win but makes for less entertaining TV.
Trigonometrize.
Member
(03-08-2017, 08:03 PM)
Trigonometrize.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Leeness

Rooting for Sandra to become three-time-Queen!

I don't see how that's even possible. There will literally be players strategizing from the get-go to ally with her just to blindside her later on and have that as a bullet point in the final tribal council. She'll have to have the computational powers of a NASA computer to make it to final five.
Ganhyun
Member
(03-08-2017, 08:20 PM)
Ganhyun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trigonometrize.

I don't see how that's even possible. There will literally be players strategizing from the get-go to ally with her just to blindside her later on and have that as a bullet point in the final tribal council. She'll have to have the computational powers of a NASA computer to make it to final five.

Or the luck Mike had in winning challenges his season.
UberTag
Member
(03-08-2017, 08:58 PM)
UberTag's Avatar

Originally Posted by RepairmanJack

I've always been in the mindset that in a game with more than one or two big targets you have to take out the floaters or the dead weight first. If I was any of Tony, Sandra, JT, Sirie, or even Sierra, Malcom and a few others, I would want to band together early on rather than waste the time targeting each other so early.

I always think someone like Hali will win seasons like this for that exact reason.

Your logic is sound... and would be the way to go if the winners were all together on a single tribe as originally drawn up for this season. Sadly, they've been split up making them instant targets for either tribe - especially when other noteworthy players like Ozzy will be needed initially for challenge prowess.

Sandra's lucky she has Tony around as a shield. Especially with their tribe largely consisting of beta males, guys with no gameplay whatsoever, a strategic threat like Aubry and possible early-game overplays from Ciera and Varner.

JT got royally screwed being placed on a tribe with Cirie after his double-cross in Heroes vs. Villains sent her packing way early compared with her previous two Survivor stints. They could square that away with some early challenge wins plus Debbie and Tai seem likely to be served up as easy first boots due to their age... and their Kaoh Rong ties to Aubry and Caleb in a possible merge/swap scenario. Debbie's more of a loyal soldier in the Phillip Sheppard mold provided you placate her ego so Tai seems like the better first out.

All things considered, it definitely seems like smooth sailing for a lot of the floaters/dead weight from previous seasons given the more prevalent distractions.

Originally Posted by hoverboarder

So, I need to lock in my final fantasy (hah) roster. I linked the site in the OP (tribal-council.com)

This is the maximum number of players I can pick. Any thoughts? Keep in mind I'm not necessarilly picking my favorites, but people who I think have the potential to go far or at least earn me points along the way (finding idols, being on tribes that are winning challenges, etc.)

I like the call to avoid previous winners. Which 5 of these 8 do you plan to field in your starting lineup tonight?
Last edited by UberTag; 03-08-2017 at 09:30 PM.
ironmang
Member
(03-09-2017, 12:03 AM)
ironmang's Avatar
This fantasy thing is pretty sweet. Wish I signed up earlier so I could really think about some of my choices. Pretty heavy on MANA tribe with 6/8 of my picks lol.

Team:
Jeff
Tony
Caleb
Hali
Michaela
Aubry
Zeke
Tai

Might last minute audible Malcolm in there over someone. Probably Tony since being that aggressive and a winner doesn't give me much hope this time.
Last edited by ironmang; 03-09-2017 at 12:07 AM.
hoverboarder
Member
(03-09-2017, 12:33 AM)
hoverboarder's Avatar

Originally Posted by UberTag

I like the call to avoid previous winners. Which 5 of these 8 do you plan to field in your starting lineup tonight?

Thanks! I'm starting: Malcolm, Ozzy, Cirie, Michaela, and Ciera.

Almost started Varner but I think he'll play it quiet this episode if he's smart.
Krogan
Member
(03-09-2017, 12:43 AM)
Krogan's Avatar
Is the first episode going to be standard hour or is it an extended episode?
vypek
Member
(03-09-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Krogan

Is the first episode going to be standard hour or is it an extended episode?

Two hour episode!!
UberTag
Member
(03-09-2017, 12:57 AM)
UberTag's Avatar
Just finished watching the season preview episode courtesy of ET Canada.
Holy hell is this one amazing tribal council set this year. Might be the highlight of the entire 2-hour episode.
BTM
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:00 AM)
BTM's Avatar
Game time
Grexeno
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:01 AM)
Grexeno's Avatar
BIG MOVES
KuwabaraTheMan
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:03 AM)
KuwabaraTheMan's Avatar
Time for Queen Sandra to pick up a third tiara.
Grexeno
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:09 AM)
Grexeno's Avatar
GAME CHANGER SIERRA ALREADY CHANGING THE GAME
SuperSonic1305
(03-09-2017, 01:10 AM)
SuperSonic1305's Avatar
Zeke got fat
UberTag
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:10 AM)
UberTag's Avatar
Nice grab of the advantage by Sierra.
Nuku scoring big time right out of the gates with the advantage, the toolkit and the chickens.
Mana tribe coming up empty.
Last edited by UberTag; 03-09-2017 at 01:14 AM.
ironmang
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:15 AM)
ironmang's Avatar
lmao tony
lamaroo
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:15 AM)
lamaroo's Avatar
Tony the legend
Grexeno
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:15 AM)
Grexeno's Avatar
Tony is in All-Stars Richard Hatch "Fuck It" mode
KuwabaraTheMan
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:15 AM)
KuwabaraTheMan's Avatar
"We'll just vote him out first."
amaretto
Junior Member
(03-09-2017, 01:18 AM)
amaretto's Avatar
oh shit didn't know this was on.
ironmang
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:21 AM)
ironmang's Avatar
lol 10 year delayed revenge
UberTag
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:24 AM)
UberTag's Avatar

Originally Posted by ironmang

lol 10 year delayed revenge

I was so focused on Cirie getting revenge on JT, I completely overlooked the possibility of Ozzy getting revenge on Cirie. The star players on that tribe aren't going to last long with these long-term grudges brewing. That bodes well for folks like Sierra who are working the early social game hard.
BTM
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:26 AM)
BTM's Avatar
Oh Tai
Grexeno
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:27 AM)
Grexeno's Avatar
I think we've found the world's worst poker face.
vypek
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:29 AM)
lol Tony is hilarious
Wandering Robot
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:30 AM)
Wandering Robot's Avatar
I don't have a lot of faith in these tribes banding together to root out the opposing team. Ha.
Grexeno
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:31 AM)
Grexeno's Avatar
And somehow nobody has said "hey maybe we should go for Sandra."
KuwabaraTheMan
Member
(03-09-2017, 01:31 AM)
KuwabaraTheMan's Avatar
Ciera overplaying early. :(

Originally Posted by Grexeno

And somehow nobody has said "hey maybe we should go for Sandra."

"Sandra's no threat." "We can get rid of Sandra whenever we want."

38 days later...

Thread Tools